Cable going all digital -- mini-box? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 75 Old 01-10-2016, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2246 Post(s)
Liked: 2109
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 75 Old 01-10-2016, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Unfortunately for you we are in a rapidly changing environment with TV. Cox and most cable providers are eliminating analog signals and in some markets clear QAM. In this environment no one can be sure when the elimination of analog will take place in a particular market. It could be a few months or it could be a few years. One of the factors is Cox and other cable providers must have a supply of the mini-boxes when they eliminate analog. Therefore Cox is depending on others for equipment just as you are. Cable providers also are probably trying to judge the local market. They will make more money eliminating analog because it frees up bandwidth for other uses, but will not make more money if they lose too many subscribers. Everyone's situation is different, in my case I hope they eliminate my analog channels because I will likely have access to a faster internet connection as a result. My neighbor who has no cable boxes hopes it never happens.
Ratman likes this.
post #33 of 75 Old 01-10-2016, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Thanks so much Ratman and HDMI Guy -- yes, I would not have been unhappy were my particular cable situation and set-up to have remained exactly the same forever. I was delighted that the network HD channels came through without a box, when I finally 5 years ago broke down and went cable -- that was all I needed, in a word, perfect.

I am resigned to things changing to digital, no doubt that that was coming, will be for the better in many ways overall, but in the mean time, right at this present, represents another way to gouge consumers. I wouldn't even be that unhappy with buying the mini-box, but you have to rent it.

I have one in my possession already, have not activated. Read the limited manual today and it is a "Digital adapter" and will supply the needed signal adaptation via HDMI to hi def TVs -- one can't use the coax out (for non hi-def TVs) simultaneous to that, and learned that channels are changed through the mini box and included remote, so a bit more of a thing that I thought.

It says "On your televisions connected to a mini box, there is no need to tune to HD channels in the 1000s or 2000s," after saying that the HDMI connection will automatically tune you into the HD version of that channel -- so perhaps this implies that for TVs not hooked into the box after the changeover, you may still tune in your HD channels 1005 (FOX) through 1011 (PBS), just as you do now? Big unknown.

Furthermore, I am thinking I just get COX out to remove the cablecard from my TiVo and hook in the mini box, and that will save a couple of dollars in what I pay now, but would still buy a comparable competing box if commercially available. The COX mini box seems very much a proprietary thing, so unknown if one will appear, but the speculations on whether they think they can get away with this move without mass cancellation are no doubt very much on their mind -- shrewdly they offer them for a year for free.

The one I got I actually thought I would use at work. I watch TV there on my breaks, but that facility has more than fifty coax outputs from the walls of many many different rooms, and once again COX does not know what they intend to do in a scenario like that -- whether they will supply them to the business. It seems to me there should be a way of delivering all the box does directly through the coax, but there is no extra fee in that...

Thanks again to all who provided help and links and such -- sorry my general irritation at being confronted with this might have made me seem less appreciative of genuinely altruistic intentions. This sudden debacle has emphasized what I already knew, and that is that I am hopelessly addicted to TV watching, but very miserly when it comes to escalating budgetary allocations -- I've always hated hated hated rent situations -- one reason I bought the TiVo versus using the COX rental DVR.

I'll keep plugging away at this and add as i find out more for those that might be similarly situated -- I know that everyone else in the southwest will be, but may not be as averse as I am to negative change..,.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 75 Old 01-10-2016, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, Ratman, the second PDF link you provided is the exact manual I got with the unit, very good of you to research and provide that -- thanks so much for your investment of time and willingness to be helpful. Happy New Year!
post #35 of 75 Old 01-19-2016, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did a little research. In post 26 you stated "FOX for example tunes into all my TVs as 1005 -- can tune it in directly by punching in those digits on the remote". I tried punching 1005 into the remotes of several different brands of TVs and none would accept it. When you are punching in 1005 on a remote is that a TV remote. If it is what brand and model of TV?
post #36 of 75 Old 01-19-2016, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
I did a little research. In post 26 you stated "FOX for example tunes into all my TVs as 1005 -- can tune it in directly by punching in those digits on the remote". I tried punching 1005 into the remotes of several different brands of TVs and none would accept it. When you are punching in 1005 on a remote is that a TV remote. If it is what brand and model of TV?
Really? -- nothing extraordinary there. Have a SHARP 70 inch -- works just that way for that one. All my SAMSUNGS big (55 inch) and small (twenty inch), and also TiVo box, just punch in the four digits, puts you right on the channel, or up and down button, either way, so....?
post #37 of 75 Old 01-19-2016, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Of course, I have some PANASONIC 60" plasmas too, same deal with those. These are all fairly recent models, my really old TV only scanned up to 100 channels, probably disallowed the punching in of more than three digits, but don't have any like that anymore...that was part of the problem finding out that the 1005 through 1011 channels were in HD and on the most basic cable offering -- think it was about $12 per month. I had scanned all the channels that my TV allowed me (up to 100), and there was no HD there as promised by the mailing. I was not surprised because the installers said there was no HD with my service, but when I went cancel, someone finally told me where they were -- had to use a different TV to scan them in, and it took about 45 minutes, but there they were at the end of the scan cycle...
post #38 of 75 Old 01-19-2016, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 3027 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
There's still something you're not telling us. The QAM tuner on a TV maxes out around channel 160. You must have some kind of box on that TV, or 1005 ends up 100.5 or something like that.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/tvfreqtable.html
Ratman and HDMI Guy like this.
post #39 of 75 Old 01-19-2016, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
There's still something you're not telling us. The QAM tuner on a TV maxes out around channel 160. You must have some kind of box on that TV, or 1005 ends up 100.5 or something like that.

Yes and the NTSC tuner maxes out well below channel 160. Samsung TVs will not tune channel 1005 using the tuner in the TV.
post #40 of 75 Old 01-19-2016, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes and the NTSC tuner maxes out well below channel 160. Samsung TVs will not tune channel 1005 using the tuner in the TV.
Well, of all the things that might have surprised me here, did not expect this one.

I'm about as little informed as one might be here, but I do know that every recent TV I've purchased -- last seven years let us say -- was able to be attached to the COX coaxial cable coming directly through the wall, the coax endpoint screwed onto that coax cable threaded cylinder somewhere on the back of the TV, you scan for channels -- get 1-100 rather quickly, then, in our market, there is a lot of 700s, 800s, some music only, then come the thousands.

I'm pretty sure even fresh out of the box, without scanning, you can just punch in 1005, for example, but it will probably just screen prompt you that it has not been scanned in yet -- this may work for any number up to 9999, but I'll have to get home to find out.

Even the mini-box manual from COX makes reference to these channels, saying that one advantage to the box is not having to punch in the 1005, etc. -- I guess you put in 5 and it automatically goes to whatever the digital version of the channel is. Of course I am hoping they keep the 1005 through 1011 channels so I don't have to use the mini-box, but we shall see.
post #41 of 75 Old 01-19-2016, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

BTW, I think you can also use a period button, and a dash button to directly punch in 5.1, or 5-1 as well, but don't know what the contrary info credibility is supposed to be, but by simple experiment, the info is obviously incorrect.
post #42 of 75 Old 01-19-2016, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

From the COX Mini Box Manual PDF linked above (page 22):

Q: How do I receive an HD picture with my mini box?

A: If you have an HDTV set and are connected to the mini box via an HDMI cable, you will automatically

be tuned to the HD signal of a chosen network if one is available. On your televisions connected to a

mini box, there is no need to tune to HD channels in the 1000s or 2000s.

post #43 of 75 Old 01-19-2016, 10:19 PM

The fact that a cable box can go to 9999 is not in dispute. But it is impossible for a TV's built in tuner to do it in the US.
HDMI Guy likes this.
post #44 of 75 Old 01-20-2016, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The fact that a cable box can go to 9999 is not in dispute. But it is impossible for a TV's built in tuner to do it in the US.
Well...OK, if you say so. If true, this only raises the possible questions of what is meant by "built-in" and/or "tuner," because clearly with whatever the TV leaves the factory with, whether you call that "built-in" or "stock with unit" or "included in sale" or "internal to unit," and whether you call that internal component a "tuner" or "channel changer" or anything else, these TVs scan the cable and put the thousand numbered channels on the roster, and you can then "tune" them straight from coax, no external box, by punching digits in sequence 1-0-0-5 and end up immediately on channel 1005.

This is not in question, but none of this kind of discussion gets me any closer to knowing if these channels will still be present after the conversion to digital -- and I mean without the box, mini box, or any other device they can start charging money to rent.
post #45 of 75 Old 01-20-2016, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

When you are on channel 1005 on one of the TVs connected directly to coax, push the info button and see if the resolution is stated. If the resolution is 720 or 1080 it is a digital channel and according to your conversations with Cox may be available after the transition. If the resolution is 480 it is an analog channel and will almost certainly be gone after the transition. You will have to try this with each of the channels to determine whether they are digital or analog. The channels from 2-100 are probably all analog but could be digital. The channels above 100 are most likely digital. You only need to do this on one of the sets since the resolution should be the same on all of the sets connected directly to coax.
post #46 of 75 Old 01-20-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
This is not in question, but none of this kind of discussion gets me any closer to knowing if these channels will still be present after the conversion to digital -- and I mean without the box, mini box, or any other device they can start charging money to rent.
If the "provider" cannot provide a definitive answer... then only time will tell how it may/will work out with your provider, in your locale, and with your specific make/model TV's.

Let us know what happens.

EDIT:
Just an afterthought. If/when they do whatever they do and you have to rent 10 mini-boxes, what will be your less expensive alternative?

Last edited by Ratman; 01-20-2016 at 10:58 AM.
post #47 of 75 Old 01-20-2016, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When you are on channel 1005 on one of the TVs connected directly to coax, push the info button and see if the resolution is stated. If the resolution is 720 or 1080 it is a digital channel and according to your conversations with Cox may be available after the transition. If the resolution is 480 it is an analog channel and will almost certainly be gone after the transition. You will have to try this with each of the channels to determine whether they are digital or analog. The channels from 2-100 are probably all analog but could be digital. The channels above 100 are most likely digital. You only need to do this on one of the sets since the resolution should be the same on all of the sets connected directly to coax.
Well, I actually do know just slightly more than that. Of course these are high resolution channels -- 720 or 1080, they are the HD equivalents of the standard resolution channels, in other words, FOX is 5 in standard resolution, 1005 is 5 in HD.

I do not have digital cable. Was told I would need a box for that, and the added cost. Nevertheless, all these 1000 numbered channels are HD -- unknown how they are presented or any other info. COX informs that all the network broadcast channels will remain after transition. In other words 5, which is FOX low def, I guess will become low def digital, probably due to FCC mandates -- has to always be available.

Also a COX representative, who was speculating, thought 1005 would remain too AS AVAILABLE WITHOUT ADDITIONAL BOX, probably again due to FCC mandates, but unknown if the duplicate HD equivalent is deemed also required by FCC. I've adopted the strategy to see what happens over the months, since NO ONE seems to know much of anything about the transition, or indeed, most folks at COX have no idea the 1005 exists, is HD, possibly digital or otherwise.

Also too, the fact that apparently documents exist which seem to unequivocally disallow the inclusion of such channels or numbers on tuners etc., clearly does not help to advance the state of actual knowledge on the subject, since this is known to be false. I guess I've figured out that you can only wait and see what happens.....
post #48 of 75 Old 01-20-2016, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
If the "provider" cannot provide a definitive answer... then only time will tell how it may/will work out with your provider, in your locale, and with your specific make/model TV's.

Let us know what happens.

EDIT:
Just an afterthought. If/when they do whatever they do and you have to rent 10 mini-boxes, what will be your less expensive alternative?
Thanks for the help. I can guarantee you that I won't be renting those boxes. All my standard def network broadcast channels will remain intact in low def without a box, or mini box. The TVs all about the house are used for listening to broadcasts as I work on computer or do dishes etc., therefore my experience around the house will be diminished, not HD, but not altogether robbed from me without having a min-box.

If one TV, or my TiVo needs that mini-box, I'm assuming I can rip out the gimmcky cable card and the "advanced TV" that went along with it ($5 additional monthly revenue for them after a TiVo download sabotaged my 1000s channels), go with the mini-box at $3 per month (save $2), and get what I have now in terms of recording network shows in HD.

But I use TVs all over the plant at work -- basically same as for doing dishes, on while I work, but I watch/listen to other cable channels than the network broadcast ones that I use exclusively at home, and COX does not know what happens to that service at work after transition. I may have to rent a mini-box to carry around everywhere I go at work and hook up at each cable outlet over the day -- a real pain to be sure.

But wait and see, since nobody knows, all you can do......
post #49 of 75 Old 01-20-2016, 11:55 AM

Many of the things you are describing are impossible (analog cable channels over 69 in HD). I think you may be making some wrong assumptions and are still confusing the terminology. My guess is you're actually doing the tuning on your Tivo, and your cable service is indeed digital already. Can you at least tell us if the remote you're using is a peanut shape or not?

Does this look like your channel lineup?
http://www.cox.com/wcm/en/residentia...cl_sdnorth.pdf

If so, you can see in the fine print that it is indeed already digital and that only your locals are in HD in clear QAM (no box or Tivo).

Last edited by mdavej; 01-20-2016 at 12:00 PM.
post #50 of 75 Old 01-20-2016, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Many of the things you are describing are impossible (analog cable channels over 69 in HD). I think you may be making some wrong assumptions and are still confusing the terminology. My guess is you're actually doing the tuning on your Tivo, and your cable service is indeed digital already. Can you at least tell us if the remote you're using is a peanut shape or not?

Does this look like your channel lineup?
http://www.cox.com/wcm/en/residentia...cl_sdnorth.pdf

If so, you can see in the fine print that it is indeed already digital and that only your locals are in HD in clear QAM (no box or Tivo).
Thanks for the help. Yes, I have that TV starter package. From the fine print, it appears to me that it is stating that if your TV has a Clear QAM receiver, you get the 1000s channels which are in HD, but a close look at the fine print also reveals that whatever is being referred to has been identified by a symbol in the above text. For instance the text I just cited pertains to those channels identified with a triangle shape.

On The TiVo remote question, be assured I know my remotes -- I regularly watch TV on that same TV when the TiVo is recording two channels and I want to watch something live. Just transition from the TiVo input (by HDMI), back to TV, switch remotes, and watch the 1000s channels live on the TV. All my other TVs with no TiVo box only get used for the 1000s channels. I only have one TiVo box, which I own -- if I could BUY a mini-box versus rent it, I would do that.

As to misusing terminology -- absolutely yes, I've never understood this business. My cable works just fine with old-style giant picture tube TVs. Of course their limited tuners will not go over 100, so no HD channels over that upper-most limit, but it seems to me, and of course I could be quite wrong, that if the signal over that coax feeds the old analog TVs, in a way that they can interpret that signal into picture, it must be an analogue signal? In any case, I was told by installers I needed a box for HD, but as you can see from the fine print in the link, you can get the HD channels with HDTVs that have the right receiver.

At some point I gathered the notion that the 1000s channels were QAM, but I still have no idea. The link seems to confirm it, but does not explain the numbering exceeding 160, if that was a valid assertion....
post #51 of 75 Old 01-20-2016, 12:57 PM

You've convinced me. But I've never seen anything like that before on a TV tuner (channel aliases mapped to QAM).

I think it's safe to say you do already have digital cable, though not encrypted yet. Let's hope it continues to work for you indefinitely.
post #52 of 75 Old 01-20-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I do not have digital cable. Was told I would need a box for that, and the added cost.
Nevertheless, all these 1000 numbered channels are HD -- unknown how they are presented or any other info. would remain too AS AVAILABLE WITHOUT ADDITIONAL BOX,
Well... at this time, if you are getting "HD" on your 10 TV's ... it's digital (QAM).

Quote:
... probably again due to FCC mandates, but unknown if the duplicate HD equivalent is deemed also required by FCC.
There's no FCC mandate for cable providers to provide analog, digital or HD "in the clear" (unenecrypted) nor to encrypt.

Quote:
I guess I've figured out that you can only wait and see what happens.....
BINGO!
post #53 of 75 Old 01-20-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
All my standard def network broadcast channels will remain intact in low def without a box, or mini box.
Or... you hope.
post #54 of 75 Old 01-20-2016, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You've convinced me. But I've never seen anything like that before on a TV tuner (channel aliases mapped to QAM).

I think it's safe to say you do already have digital cable, though not encrypted yet. Let's hope it continues to work for you indefinitely.
Well, yeah maybe -- it occurs to me I actually don't even know if both analogue signals and digital can coexist on the same cable. I do know that my internet connection comes through the same cable, but honestly have no idea what is happening, as to what is what. Haven't really had to care as long as it all worked as I wanted it to, but then the disastrous TiVo download which wiped my HD off their box, now this transition. Suppose I'll survive it somehow -- maybe time to investigate alternatives anyway....
post #55 of 75 Old 01-20-2016, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Well... at this time, if you are getting "HD" on your 10 TV's ... it's digital (QAM).

There's no FCC mandate for cable providers to provide analog, digital or HD "in the clear" (unenecrypted) nor to encrypt.

BINGO!
OK, so never heard that QAM was digital, so if it is there on the cable, at least that part of the signal is digital. But I think that means that the other standard 5-69 channels, that can be seen on old TVs, are analogue, right alongside the digital inclusions?

What I meant about FCC mandates, would be to provide the American public with the public airwaves for public service -- meaning the broadcast networks which have to provide certain programming, etc. COX says these networks and their channels will remain through the transition -- without their min-box -- I'm sure that would be ONLY to satisfy some legal requirement, but the question is if the minimum of public airwaves programming might include the HD versions as well. If so, no big deal to any of this -- might even be able to toss the TiVo box cablecard and rescan and get all my channels back on my TiVo. But don't know if that kind of thing ever really happens -- seems like it might just be too optimistic to imagine it....
post #56 of 75 Old 01-20-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Well, yeah maybe -- it occurs to me I actually don't even know if both analogue signals and digital can coexist on the same cable.
Yes... they can.

Quote:
I do know that my internet connection comes through the same cable, but honestly have no idea what is happening, as to what is what
Yes. We get that...

Quote:
Haven't really had to care as long as it all worked as I wanted it to, but then the disastrous TiVo download which wiped my HD off their box, now this transition.
That's probably a TiVO issue.

Quote:
Suppose I'll survive it somehow -- maybe time to investigate alternatives anyway....
Not without expense.
post #57 of 75 Old 01-20-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
OK, so never heard that QAM was digital, so if it is there on the cable, at least that part of the signal is digital. But I think that means that the other standard 5-69 channels, that can be seen on old TVs, are analogue, right alongside the digital inclusions?
QAM64/256 is the carrier signal use by cableco's for digital transmission. Analog over cable is VSB, same as old OTA analog NTSC.

Quote:
What I meant about FCC mandates, would be to provide the American public with the public airwaves for public service -- meaning the broadcast networks which have to provide certain programming, etc. COX says these networks and their channels will remain through the transition -- without their min-box -- I'm sure that would be ONLY to satisfy some legal requirement, but the question is if the minimum of public airwaves programming might include the HD versions as well. If so, no big deal to any of this -- might even be able to toss the TiVo box cablecard and rescan and get all my channels back on my TiVo. But don't know if that kind of thing ever really happens -- seems like it might just be too optimistic to imagine it....
It's a poor interpretation and an optimistic imagination.
post #58 of 75 Old 01-20-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 943
FWIW I just now punched in a 4 digit channel number on this Vizio 26" TV I use as a monitor and it certainly accepted it. I don't have anything connected to the RF input though because there is no more Clear QAM here.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
post #59 of 75 Old 01-21-2016, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
FWIW I just now punched in a 4 digit channel number on this Vizio 26" TV I use as a monitor and it certainly accepted it. I don't have anything connected to the RF input though because there is no more Clear QAM here.
Yes, I'm very surprised that anyone else would find that news -- if I know about it, it has to be one of the most basic tidbits of information in this whole business.

Still, I did learn a few odd facts here myself -- not what I was after, I will say, which was what service (available channels) will I have remaining after COX turns off whatever analogue is still present, but worth putting out the probe anyway, I suppose.

Of course COX is not in the business of illuminating the landscape so that the public can determine they won't require the rental of new equipment, nor do I believe COX representatives to be particularly well informed, and I guess reaching out here has shown that there are great information gaps across the board........
post #60 of 75 Old 01-28-2016, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
They do it with mirrors

I believe Cox maps user friendly virtual channel numbers to the real QAM subchannels; so, one can punch in 1005 instead of maybe 2.10234 Today and 6.73524 Tomorrow. As long as they have valid PSIP data in each channel, everything works; and, they can remap when they want to.
HDMI Guy, NoReDist and Mark12547 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page