Are the Monoprice certified HDMI cable from Amazon the same as that sold by Monoprice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By mrjinglesusa
  • 2 Post By Gandu

post #1 of 18 Old 08-04-2018, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Are the Monoprice certified HDMI cable from Amazon the same as that sold by Monoprice

Noticed that Amazon was selling Monoprice certified HDMI cable and wondered if its same cable as the Monoprice company sells? I have had great luck with Monoprice certified HDMI cable and I could get free shipping if I buy them from Amazon. Dont want to risk getting a knock off brand.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-04-2018, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked: 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Noticed that Amazon was selling Monoprice certified HDMI cable and wondered if its same cable as the Monoprice company sells? I have had great luck with Monoprice certified HDMI cable and I could get free shipping if I buy them from Amazon. Dont want to risk getting a knock off brand.
The beauty of Certified Premium High Speed HDMI cables (the ones that come with a QR code for authenticity) is that they can be made by any mfr as long as they are willing to pay to belong to an ATC. The Premium High Speed HDMI cable name is trademarked (I believe) by HDMI.org who own and operates the ATC program. As long as the cable comes with the QR label, that's about as good as it gets. However, even with properly certified HDMI cables, there are no 100% guarantees that they will work as expected in every setup. There are other factors involved for a successful cable installation besides the data pipe (cable).
mattg3 likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-06-2018, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It should be the same. As the seller on Amazon need to get the authorazation from the Monoprice if they want to sell on Amazon, so the product should be supplied by the Monoprice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-06-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLuck8 View Post
It should be the same. As the seller on Amazon need to get the authorazation from the Monoprice if they want to sell on Amazon, so the product should be supplied by the Monoprice.
ONLY if the cable comes with a QR label for authenticity. If not, it hasn't been certified by an ATC and is bogus. That's not to say the cable won't work, it's just that it hasn't been properly certified by HMDI.org. That's the whole idea behind the QR label. Certified by Monoprice is not the same thing as certified by HDMI.org.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-02-2018, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

The ones on Amazon are Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed Cables and come individually in bags with the HDMI.org certification QR code. They also have a Monoprice label on them with part number and UPC code.

So yes, the short answer is the ones on Amazon are the same ones Monoprice sells.

I went with the "Ultra Slim" model and ordered from this link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
mattg3 likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-18-2018, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjinglesusa View Post
The ones on Amazon are Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed Cables and come individually in bags with the HDMI.org certification QR code. They also have a Monoprice label on them with part number and UPC code.

So yes, the short answer is the ones on Amazon are the same ones Monoprice sells.

I went with the "Ultra Slim" model and ordered from this link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Can someone tell me why Monoprice HDMI cables are so popular? Why this particular brand?

Hugh Campbell
post #7 of 18 Old 12-18-2018, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughScot View Post
Can someone tell me why Monoprice HDMI cables are so popular? Why this particular brand?
Back in the days when RCA cables, speaker wire, and later HDMI cables were not as easily available to buy like they are today. People generally were sold overpriced Monster cables at Best Buy, Circuit City and similar retailers. Monoprice gained their loyal following by selling high quality cables at about 1/3 the price of Monster. Now they sell speakers, amps and other electronics in addition to every length and variation of every cable imagineable. The price/quality ratio on their products is outstanding.
HughScot and WOLVERNOLE like this.
post #8 of 18 Old 12-18-2018, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post
Back in the days when RCA cables, speaker wire, and later HDMI cables were not as easily available to buy like they are today. People generally were sold overpriced Monster cables at Best Buy, Circuit City and similar retailers. Monoprice gained their loyal following by selling high quality cables at about 1/3 the price of Monster. Now they sell speakers, amps and other electronics in addition to every length and variation of every cable imagineable. The price/quality ratio on their products is outstanding.
Good old Monster, so overpriced. Much like "oxygen free" speaker cables.

Hugh Campbell
post #9 of 18 Old 12-18-2018, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughScot View Post
The are cheap and generally of high quality. The same can be said of Amazon Basics.

Receiver: Denon AVR X3400H/Display: Vizio P65-E1
Blu-Ray: Sony UBP-X700/LaserDisc: Panasonic AG-LD20/Streamer Amazon FireTV 4K
Satellite: Dish Hopper w/Sling
Speakers: SVS Prime Tower/SVS Prime Center/SVS Prime Surround/Velodyne HGS-15
post #10 of 18 Old 05-05-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 66
If you have an Amazon credit card, you can use it at Monoprice.com. The same cables are a little more expensive on Amazon than on Monoprice's own website.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-05-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post
If you have an Amazon credit card, you can use it at Monoprice.com. The same cables are a little more expensive on Amazon than on Monoprice's own website.
As long as your run is under 25', any Premium High Speed HDMI cable (QR label) should perform the same so just shop around for the best price and make sure the cable comes with the QR label. It's not a 100% guarantee that they will work but at least you can be assured that the cable was tested and certified by standardized testing protocols designed by HDMI.org.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-05-2019, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
As long as your run is under 25', any Premium High Speed HDMI cable (QR label) should perform the same so just shop around for the best price and make sure the cable comes with the QR label. It's not a 100% guarantee that they will work but at least you can be assured that the cable was tested and certified by standardized testing protocols designed by HDMI.org.
Several years ago, I bought a Monoprice Cabernet Ultra Series Active High Speed HDMI Cable (18Gbps)(40') from Monoprice.com (I had to send 4K from halfway down my hall to my TV). It even had Monoprice's name on it. A couple of years later, I bought the same cable from Amazon for a couple bucks more. Same Monoprice name on it. I use my Amazon store card at Monoprice all the time.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-06-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Several years ago, I bought a Monoprice Cabernet Ultra Series Active High Speed HDMI Cable (18Gbps)(40') from Monoprice.com (I had to send 4K from halfway down my hall to my TV). It even had Monoprice's name on it. A couple of years later, I bought the same cable from Amazon for a couple bucks more. Same Monoprice name on it. I use my Amazon store card at Monoprice all the time.
Actually the Monoprice name doesn't mean much because they do not mfr their own cables. They buy in bulk (hence the usually lower prices) from various mfrs and put their name on it. The same is true for Certified cables. They purchase from a mfr who has had their cables certified. They probably have to pay a bit more because certification is not cheap and they pass that slight price increase onto the customer. However, to be fair to Monprice, they do go out of their way to ensure that the products they put their name on and sell, is of high quality and reliability.

post #14 of 18 Old 05-12-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Actually the Monoprice name doesn't mean much because they do not mfr their own cables. They buy in bulk (hence the usually lower prices) from various mfrs and put their name on it. The same is true for Certified cables. They purchase from a mfr who has had their cables certified. They probably have to pay a bit more because certification is not cheap and they pass that slight price increase onto the customer. However, to be fair to Monprice, they do go out of their way to ensure that the products they put their name on and sell, is of high quality and reliability.
I realize that. I was just illustrating that you can buy the same exact cables at both places, and you can use Amazon's store card at Monoprice.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-12-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I realize that. I was just illustrating that you can buy the same exact cables at both places, and you can use Amazon's store card at Monoprice.
I misunderstood. Nice to know that you can use your Amazon card at Monoprice.

post #16 of 18 Old 05-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 799
AFAIK, the seller of Monoprice products on Amazon is Monoprice. The price difference is based on the Amazon price having to make up for the cost to the seller of "Prime" shipping. I typically will check to see if, especially when ordering a lot, whether it is cheaper to order direct from Monoprice with their added shipping costs OR to buy from Amazon (usually only when one or two items and I want them quick).

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR; Center: Selah Audio BMR-CC; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #17 of 18 Old 07-23-2019, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Bringing this one back up, does anybody know the diameter and flexibility difference between the standard and ultra slim Monoprice certified cables? Also suitability of the slim versus standard?

I have a huge old Tartan cable that is big and unruly that I would like to replace and would probably just do all 3 of my old cables while I am at it. I like the idea of the standard ones being available in white so I can use a marker to label, but I am also trying to route inside the covers of my Sony A9G.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-23-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
Bringing this one back up, does anybody know the diameter and flexibility difference between the standard and ultra slim Monoprice certified cables? Also suitability of the slim versus standard?

I have a huge old Tartan cable that is big and unruly that I would like to replace and would probably just do all 3 of my old cables while I am at it. I like the idea of the standard ones being available in white so I can use a marker to label, but I am also trying to route inside the covers of my Sony A9G.
The Monoprice Ultra Thin Premium cables are 34AWG or 36AWG so they are fairly slim but are limited to 8' to meet Certification at those wire gauges. As far as bend radius goes, the jackets are probably a bit stiff to protect the thin copper wiring inside. A gentle 90 degree bend would probably be ok but I wouldn't do any sharp bends, especially if you're pushing 4k HDR. Monoprice cables are made by various mfrs so getting cable diameter and bend radius information beforehand might be difficult. Some mfrs, like Ruipro (who makes hybrid fiber cables) do provide that information on their data sheets.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page