HDMI ARC over cat6, cheapest option - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-15-2018, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDMI ARC over cat6, cheapest option

So I see all these convertors that send the signal down a cat 6 cable but surely they’re just sending the same signal down the wire that they receive do I really need an ARC compatible one? I just want to get 5.1 sound to my receiver down a cat 6 Ethernet cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-15-2018, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked: 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy d View Post
So I see all these convertors that send the signal down a cat 6 cable but surely they’re just sending the same signal down the wire that they receive do I really need an ARC compatible one? I just want to get 5.1 sound to my receiver down a cat 6 Ethernet cable.
ARC is really finicky, especially if it's on the same chipset as CEC (most are), due to the issues with CEC. If all you want is discrete 5.1, then just use an optical cable from your tv to your receiver for audio from the tv's SmartApps, OTA television, or cable tv if the cable is connected directly to the tv. The only real advantage of ARC at this point in time is the elimination of an extra cable (optical). ARC only works if both devices, tv and receiver, are ARC capable and there aren't any CEC issues.

How long is your run?

There are two kinds of CAT-6 cable. Garden-variety CAT-6 ethernet patch cable and solid core CAT-6 cable (non-CCA) which needs to be terminated with either a punchdown keystone jack to extend an ethernet connection or HDBT (a bit expensive) to extend an HDMI connection. HDMI cables with ethernet are meaningless at this point in time because there aren't any commercial devices that have ever taken advantage of the ethernet channel in HDMI cables. Most of us just use an ethernet cable to hardwire our HTS so we don't have to depend on WiFi.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-15-2018, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
ARC is really finicky, especially if it's on the same chipset as CEC (most are), due to the issues with CEC. If all you want is discrete 5.1, then just use an optical cable from your tv to your receiver for audio from the tv's SmartApps, OTA television, or cable tv if the cable is connected directly to the tv. The only real advantage of ARC at this point in time is the elimination of an extra cable (optical). ARC only works if both devices, tv and receiver, are ARC capable and there aren't any CEC issues.

How long is your run?

There are two kinds of CAT-6 cable. Garden-variety CAT-6 ethernet patch cable and solid core CAT-6 cable (non-CCA) which needs to be terminated with either a punchdown keystone jack to extend an ethernet connection or HDBT (a bit expensive) to extend an HDMI connection. HDMI cables with ethernet are meaningless at this point in time because there aren't any commercial devices that have ever taken advantage of the ethernet channel in HDMI cables. Most of us just use an ethernet cable to hardwire our HTS so we don't have to depend on WiFi.
My tv is one side of the room and I want to get an av receiver but that’ll have to be on the other side where my speaker cables are as they are cemented into the floor. I don’t want to run a wire from my tv to the av receiver as I’d have to put holes in the wall to hide it. However I already have Ethernet running all over the house and could easily transmit the HDMI ARC signal down my cat 6 Ethernet. Thing is it appears the hdmi to Ethernet converters need to be hdmi ARC compatible, is this correct? Surely a signal is a signal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-15-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
My tv is one side of the room and I want to get an av receiver but that’ll have to be on the other side where my speaker cables are as they are cemented into the floor. I don’t want to run a wire from my tv to the av receiver as I’d have to put holes in the wall to hide it. However I already have Ethernet running all over the house and could easily transmit the HDMI ARC signal down my cat 6 Ethernet. Thing is it appears the hdmi to Ethernet converters need to be hdmi ARC compatible, is this correct? Surely a signal is a signal
To properly use ARC, you need to use a High Speed HDMI cable (which, by definition, is designed and capable of utilizing the ARC protocols for HDMI) with both of your connected devices ARC compatible. ARC is only capable via an HDMI connection because it's part of the HDMI protocol set, not ethernet.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-15-2018, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

What do you mean “properly use” you can buy hdmi arc over Ethernet transmitters and receivers, do these not work properly?

Sorry for all the questions I’m pretty new to all this.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-15-2018, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What do you mean “properly use” you can buy hdmi arc over Ethernet transmitters and receivers, do these not work properly?

Sorry for all the questions I’m pretty new to all this.
Does this not work?

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/blustre...0aAly3EALw_wcB
post #7 of 7 Old 10-15-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Sure. That's HDBT, which can be used with an ethernet cable (solid core, preferably, or ethernet patch cable). But if you read the description it says that it supports ARC over HDMI, but whether that can successfully be transferred back and forth via a standard ethernet patch cable is something you'll just have to try. Solid core CAT-6 is much more robust and can handle the signal propagation much better than standard ethernet CAT-6.

Just make sure you read their return policy carefully. For 1080p you may be fine. But once you move up to 4k, 4k HDR, your cabling may not be sufficient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page