Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-12-2018, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Doing Battle with Comcast

I am coming up on the expiration of my two year contract which saved some money vs. their exorbitant list prices. Have a triple play package with premiums. But my wife and I looked at the recent channel lineup and come to the conclusion we are paying for a couple hundred channels and watching 20 or so, a very poor deal and the whole package with fees and taxes is $211. A friend told me she know someone that threatened to quit and Comcast said "we don't want to lose you, what do you want?" and she listed the channels she watched and got only the channels she wanted and at a much reduced price. My sense is that this is probably not true, but I thought I would ask you guys for your experience in all this.. Thanks in advance!

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-12-2018, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2359 Post(s)
Liked: 2215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
A friend told me she know someone that threatened to quit and Comcast said "we don't want to lose you, what do you want?" and she listed the channels she watched and got only the channels she wanted and at a much reduced price. My sense is that this is probably not true, but I thought I would ask you guys for your experience in all this.. Thanks in advance!
I'll be your friend... total BS. Not true.
After 25 years, they wouldn't give me squat when they went all digital. All I wanted was ONE HD capable box without a monthly fee. They just said, "buh-bye".
I switched to FiOS.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 10 Old 11-13-2018, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
After 25 years, they wouldn't give me squat when they went all digital. All I wanted was ONE HD capable box without a monthly fee. They just said, "buh-bye".
I switched to FiOS.
I hear you. I would also go FIOS, but we have three choices and none are FIOS. The three are Comcast, Comcast and Comcast. Three strikes and out in my book.

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-13-2018, 08:30 AM

It was like that for me for most of those 25 years.
Best you can do is make a call yourself. Ask nicely for incentives. When the "service rep" hands you a line of bull, ask to speak to s supervisor and/or a representative from "customer retention".
Doesn't hurt to try. Just be complimentary and be nice.

This has worked well for me with Verizon (FiOS) for the past few years. Good luck.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 10 Old 11-13-2018, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It was like that for me for most of those 25 years.
Best you can do is make a call yourself. Ask nicely for incentives. When the "service rep" hands you a line of bull, ask to speak to s supervisor and/or a representative from "customer retention".
Doesn't hurt to try. Just be complimentary and be nice.

This has worked well for me with Verizon (FiOS) for the past few years. Good luck.
Much obliged for your input!

post #6 of 10 Old 11-13-2018, 11:10 AM

Glad to offer suggestions.
I know Comcast well... they are so huge now, they don't give a rat's patootie about you. Get ya on the phone, get ya off the phone ASAP. If you threaten to drop, they say "okay" cause they got ya by the nuts as the only provider in town. Their logic is that if they lose 1 subscriber at 12:00 noon, they'll have 5 new subscribers within the hour.

I'm thankful that our borough no longer has an exclusivity agreement to Comcast and now has a competitor (which much better customer support).

Sorry... I stepped down from my soapbox.

post #7 of 10 Old 11-13-2018, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked: 2510
Quote:
I switched to FiOS.
Interesting. We have Comcrap here and all we use them for is internet connectivity and local HDTV. They gave me one legacy X1 cable box and one "satellite" HD cable box for free. The legacy X1 cable box looks like it may have DVR capability but we don't need it. The satellite box is about the size of an AppleTV. There's only one other family in our court that subscribes to Comcrap as far as I know so service has been excellent (he says with fingers crossed etc etc etc). I do need to renegotiate my contract next month so we'll see how that goes. FiOS is here as well but their speeds for our area are no where near what I am getting with Comcrap, which is odd.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-13-2018, 03:10 PM

I subbed to basic cable and internet for years. They would not throw me a bone. I got the same kiss as Fredo.

My internet with FiOS is 99.9% more reliable/stable. No complaints at all

post #9 of 10 Old 02-16-2019, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I subbed to basic cable and internet for years. They would not throw me a bone. I got the same kiss as Fredo.

My internet with FiOS is 99.9% more reliable/stable. No complaints at all
I have Comcast with no issues in service
post #10 of 10 Old 02-16-2019, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser74 View Post
I have Comcast with no issues in service
Plus their Xfinity platform beats Fios TV guides
Sponsored Links