Odd red/green echo flicker- loose HDMI port, lock extender, advice requested - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-30-2018, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Odd red/green echo flicker- loose HDMI port, lock extender, advice requested

Hi all!

First off, thanks for reading. Without experts like you, I could never learn.

So, I have a FS-EB70 and it's awesome. I have a Klipsch 12 inch Sub hooked up to it, although this is not relevant.

I had a huge super stiff Hoss Installer Grade 30FT Active HDMI port in the ARC port of the receiver, and I found out too late that it's wrecked havoc on the port- it is very loose, and although it will accept connections just fine, every once in a while (3 min, 5 min) there will be brief corruption on the screen, most often red/green echo on the left side of the picture. Only a super quick flicker. Just enough to distract.

I have a 6ft pretty cheap HDMI cable installed in it now, instead of the big 30ft cable. I got one of those 6 inch HDMI lock thread things where it screws into the screwhole above the port, to lock it into place. I was hoping this would resolve the issue.

If I got a super nice 5ft HDMI cable (I understand length can kill 4K HDR Chroma 444 8Bit signal, this is important to me) what are my chances it would remedy the issue? I am afraid of two things.

1.) The 6 inch lock thing is weakening the digital signal because of the pass-through port, so a nicer cable wouldn't help

2.) The port is hosed.

Could I use isopropyl alcohol to clean the contacts on the hdmi port on the receiver? Would that help at all?

I've attached some relevant screenshots as I understand retail links are disallowed. The first one is the lock I purchased, the other 2 are potential cables. If I could use the cheaper one, that'd be awesome.

Thanks for all of your help. You guys really are the best!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hdmilock.png
Views:	13
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	2503004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monopricecertifiedpremium.png
Views:	13
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	2503006   Click image for larger version

Name:	echogearhdmi21.png
Views:	12