What SOURCE (Directv, Fios, etc) provides thee BEST 1080i broadcast picture QUALITY? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-17-2019, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Question What SOURCE (Directv, Fios, etc) provides thee BEST 1080i broadcast picture QUALITY?

It just seems as if there should be a researched topic on thee BEST source (not counting OTA/antenna) for BEST picture quality of broadcast material, i.e. 1080i/720p. This is especially important to me in order to maximize a 2K source to feed to a 4K TV to get "upconverted." I have heard that Directv signal is less compressed and maybe a higher bitrate than say FIOS, or some of the cable companies.
Is there a researched study of head-to-head providers, and if so, what are the results? This ought to be well-known, but not a lot, other than individual opinion, is out there, to my knowledge.
Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-17-2019, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3166 Post(s)
Liked: 2204
Is there a researched study, not that I am aware of. Too many variables. It all depends on your service provider, service area, etc. Your "best" source would be OTA (less compression) but that has caveats as well (location, interference, roof mounted vs attic antenna, etc). We have legacy Comcrap for local HDTV stations only (1080i) and it looks really good upconverted to 4k by our LG 65 C8 (OLED) and our older LG LCD (which is 1080 only), but then there are only 2 other houses "sharing" the box on our property and our speeds are fast and consistent. All you can do is try whatever is available to you in your area and see if it meets your needs and expectations.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-17-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Having used Comcast & FIOS, the latter easily has better PQ. Plus, unlike Comcast, they still carry 3D and HBO 3D. If Fios is available to you, go with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page