How do I prevent HDMI cable from falling out of TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-31-2019, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do I prevent HDMI cable from falling out of TV

I have a 24awg HDMI cable that keeps dropping out of the TV. Cord is thick an fairly heavy. There is very little slack so anyone moving TV could cause it to drop out.

The TV is 1500 miles from me so I need a solid solution as it prevents many phone calls on troubleshooting TV. It is in very humid area so electrical tape is not an option.

Should I (can I) do a lighter weight patch cord from TV to the current HDMI cable? Not sure if that works. AVR is on other end.

Other idea?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-31-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnon View Post
I have a 24awg HDMI cable that keeps dropping out of the TV. Cord is thick an fairly heavy. There is very little slack so anyone moving TV could cause it to drop out.

The TV is 1500 miles from me so I need a solid solution as it prevents many phone calls on troubleshooting TV. It is in very humid area so electrical tape is not an option.

Should I (can I) do a lighter weight patch cord from TV to the current HDMI cable? Not sure if that works. AVR is on other end.

Other idea?

thanks!
Wait what?! I am assuming this TV and AVR is at a parents house? LOL, I would suggest a new cable they should fit pretty snugly into the HDMI port on the tv. A patch cable could work as well but more connections more points of possible failure.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-31-2019, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I've used these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Living Room: Marantz 6013, XPA-5, 7.1.4 Polk RTiA9, CSiA6, FXiA4, OWM3, RSL C34E, SVS PC12+, 4 Shakers, Epson 5050, VApex 92”, Sony 65X900F, Sony X800, Xbox360, FireStick 4K, Roku Ultra, Odroid-N2. Bedroom: Denon 3600, 5.1.4 Polk: LSiM 703, LSiM 704, RTiA1, OWM3, SVS SB12-NSD x 2, LG OLED65B8, Xbox 360, Roku Ultra, Shield, FireStick 4K. Home Office: Onkyo 707, Polk: RTiA3, CSiA4, Monitor 70's, Yamaha SW315 x 2, Turntable, Triple Monitors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-31-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked: 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post
Those should work. I the OP can't find screw holes to use he can always use a zip tie or a series of zip ties to "loop" it securely into place. That's one of the biggest issues of using a thick gauge cable is loss of flexibility which affects bend radius and increased strain on the HDMI input.

It would be helpful to know how long of a cable run it is and what they are trying to push (1080, 4k, 4k HDR) as there are a few thinner cables that could be used to prevent loss of flexibility and increased strain on the HDMI input depending on their video needs.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-31-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Those should work. I the OP can't find screw holes to use he can always use a zip tie or a series of zip ties to "loop" it securely into place. That's one of the biggest issues of using a thick gauge cable is loss of flexibility which affects bend radius and increased strain on the HDMI input.

It would be helpful to know how long of a cable run it is and what they are trying to push (1080, 4k, 4k HDR) as there are a few thinner cables that could be used to prevent loss of flexibility and increased strain on the HDMI input depending on their video needs.
According to the op the cable run is 1500 miles LMAO. I assume he is talking about maybe a relative's tv who live 1500 miles away, as there is NO WAY they have a 1500 mile cable run lol.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-31-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
According to the op the cable run is 1500 miles LMAO. I assume he is talking about maybe a relative's tv who live 1500 miles away, as there is NO WAY they have a 1500 mile cable run lol.
I think AudioQuest makes an HDMI 2.1 cable (fiber of course) that can go that far

post #7 of 12 Old 11-01-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I think AudioQuest makes an HDMI 2.1 cable (fiber of course) that can go that far
They do its around $6.8 billion but it only outputs gameboy resolution on the other end LMAO. Oh and it requires cable lifts the entire way, and NO they do not help you get right of way grants from cities/states, that cost is on you. lol
post #8 of 12 Old 11-01-2019, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Funny

No, cable run is only 20 feet but I should be using a 25ft cord. It is a vacation home and when it falls out, all hell breaks loose with guests because it is the TV after all.

I can't find anything not so thick. I usually get all my stuff on Monoprice but see nothing there.
I am only using it on a 1080 TV but my TV's only last about 12-18 months so the next one will be 4K.

That is another story....TV only last 12-18 months. My place is right on the ocean, super high humidity, sand, salt.. TV gets hit hard. My Yamaha AVR seems to still be working at 3 years now. I have always thought there must be a gel or spray or something I could put on the circuit board of the TV to keep the rust from eating it and shorting it out.

thanks for the tips and ideas.

Last edited by johnon; 11-01-2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: forgot something
post #9 of 12 Old 11-01-2019, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post
Thanks, just looked at that solution. I think that will work well. Thank you!!
post #10 of 12 Old 11-01-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, cable run is only 20 feet but I should be using a 25ft cord. It is a vacation home and when it falls out, all hell breaks loose because it is the TV after all.

I can't find anything not so thick. I usually get all my stuff on Monoprice but see nothing there.

thanks for the tips and ideas.
LOL ok yeah a 25 footer would do, I figured it had to be something like a parents house or vacation home, but it was fun to joke. It would be better to just get a single longer cable rather than an extension. The fewer connections the better. Here is a 25ft Monoprice Certified Premium cable https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427
post #11 of 12 Old 11-01-2019, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
LOL ok yeah a 25 footer would do, I figured it had to be something like a parents house or vacation home, but it was fun to joke. It would be better to just get a single longer cable rather than an extension. The fewer connections the better. Here is a 25ft Monoprice Certified Premium cable https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427
That's funny, your link to the monoprice is the exact one i have but mine is 20ft.

The weight is what is causing it to drop out. The HDMI plug points straight down. The house keeper I guess swings the TV to clean and just that motion is causing it to loosen and or drop out. So I am not sure if even some more slack with a 25ft will work.

I think I am going to try that bracket thing that was posted.

Thanks for your input!!! Appreciate it!
post #12 of 12 Old 11-01-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
That's funny, your link to the monoprice is the exact one i have but mine is 20ft.

The weight is what is causing it to drop out. The HDMI plug points straight down. The house keeper I guess swings the TV to clean and just that motion is causing it to loosen and or drop out. So I am not sure if even some more slack with a 25ft will work.

I think I am going to try that bracket thing that was posted.

Thanks for your input!!! Appreciate it!
Glad you saw the humor in our responses. We really are here to help. If it were me, I'd dump the heavy cable and either get a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (certified with the QR label) which is only certifiable up to 25', or get a longer active cable (they can't be certified) because they will be a lot thinner and not put any strain on the HDMI input. Hopefully with the cable coming out and being moved around the HDMI input hasn't already been damaged.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page