Picture has shrunk on Sony TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picture has shrunk on Sony TV

Called Cox. Tried everything. Nothing worked.

Did not change any settings on TV.

Sony XBR-43X830C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Liked: 2282
I know you said you did not change TV settings... but it sounds like, perhaps, an "aspect ratio" setting has changed on the TV.
Maybe you or the dog inadvertently pressed a button on the remote.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked: 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
I know you said you did not change TV settings... but it sounds like, perhaps, an "aspect ratio" setting has changed on the TV.
Woof! Might be a good idea to check the tv settings just to make sure. If the tv received an update maybe that changed something.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Woof! Might be a good idea to check the tv settings just to make sure. If the tv received an update maybe that changed something.
You are definitely not barking up the wrong tree!

Sounds like 1:1 pixel mapping again as suggested in another thread.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
You are definitely not barking up the wrong tree!

Sounds like 1:1 pixel mapping again as suggested in another thread.
Yeah, I just leave my panels at 1:1 so it just displays whatever it receives. The occasional letter-boxing doesn't bother me and I still watch my old westerns in 4:3

post #6 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I still watch my old westerns in 4:3
Yup pardner!

Tomorrow morning... Paladin and Maverick!

post #7 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Yup pardner!

Tomorrow morning... Paladin and Maverick!
Yep. I watched Gunsmoke earlier and am watching Bonanza now Saturdays offer a better selection, like the two you mentioned, as well as Wagnon Train, Wanted Dead or Alive, etc.

post #8 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Tried that. Nothing.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblue17 View Post
Tried that. Nothing.
Did you check the tv settings (you never really stated that). Are your other sources exhibiting the same behavior?

post #10 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Did you check the tv settings (you never really stated that). Are your other sources exhibiting the same behavior?
Yes. Other sources work good.
post #11 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Then since everything else appears fine, then a setting in the Cox STB/DVR needs a tweak. Or... it needs to be replaced.

post #12 of 20 Old 11-15-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Ok. That means it's either your tv and its cable tv settings or the Cox cable box. Try to see if the other aspect ratio settings do what they are supposed to do. I would check them against your other sources and then try the cable tv settings.

post #13 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 04:19 AM

Also, if other sources appear fine, try swapping the cables to the TV's inputs of the working device and the cable box. If the problem moves with the box, it's not the TV.

post #14 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
If other sources are displaying correctly and your pixel ratio is set to 1:1 then it's possible you are not getting full resolution from Cox. Resolution and aspect ratio settings on the Cox box is where I would keep looking. 480 or 720 pixels at 1:1 on a 1080 screen is not going to fill the screen. Same goes for all those numbers on a 4k screen.

Is the image always the same size or does it change from channel to channel? For instance I think (on my Comcast service) ESPN and most news channels are 720p while movie channels are 1080p. At 1:1 the 720 image would be smaller than the 1080.

I'd check with Cox support again if switching inputs and other suggestions don't yield results. I don't know if you tried it or if it's an option because I'm not a Cox customer but perhaps try a hard reset on the box.

Last edited by Artzilla; 11-16-2019 at 05:18 AM.
post #15 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
If other sources are displaying correctly and your pixel ratio is set to 1:1 then it's possible you are not getting full resolution from Cox. Resolution and aspect ratio settings on the Cox box is where I would keep looking. 480 or 720 pixels at 1:1 on a 1080 screen is not going to fill the screen. Same goes for all those numbers on a 4k screen.

Is the image always the same size or does it change from channel to channel? For instance I think (on my Comcast service) ESPN and most news channels are 720p while movie channels are 1080p. At 1:1 the 720 image would be smaller than the 1080.

I'd check with Cox support again if switching inputs and other suggestions don't yield results. I don't know if you tried it or if it's an option because I'm not a Cox customer but perhaps try a hard reset on the box.
On our Comcast service (1080 legacy stb), which is for local HDTV only (no streaming), unless I'm watching MeTV old westerns, the picture size always fills the panel with 1:1 pixel matching. At least not that I've noticed. The old westerns are displayed in 4:3. There is no distortion whatsoever with either programming.

post #16 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
On our Comcast service (1080 legacy stb), which is for local HDTV only (no streaming), unless I'm watching MeTV old westerns, the picture size always fills the panel with 1:1 pixel matching. At least not that I've noticed. The old westerns are displayed in 4:3. There is no distortion whatsoever with either programming.
In my case I have the cable box set to output everything at 1080p. I allowed the box to do the upsampling because in my particular setup that was the best scenario. It's been at least 2 years since I've been in that menu but IIRC when I set it to "through" or "pass through" the image changed size at different resolutions. This was what I described in the last post. I believe the setting that worked for me was "Full".

Black bars don't bother me - image distortion does. So currently I have the comcast box set to output everything at 1080p. The 4k tv does the upsampling beyond that and I get correct aspect rations (no squishing or stretching) regardless of the source material being 4:3, 16:9 etc.

Last edited by Artzilla; 11-16-2019 at 10:00 AM. Reason: clarification
post #17 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
In my case I have the cable box set to output everything at 1080p. I allowed the box to do the upsampling because in my particular setup that was the best scenario. It's been at least 2 years since I've been in that menu but IIRC when I set it to "through" or "pass through" the image changed size at different resolutions. This was what I described in the last post. I believe the setting that worked for me was "Full".

Black bars don't bother me - image distortion does. So currently I have the comcast box set to output everything at 1080p. The 4k tv does the upsampling beyond that and I get correct aspect rations (no squishing or stretching) regardless of the source material being 4:3, 16:9 etc.
That sounds similar to my setup. Unfortunately my legacy Comcast stb has very limited end-user access to what it does so I had to have the Comcast tech do whatever he needed to do to set it up correctly. Yep, I let my C8 do all of the upscaling so there is no distortion at all, just the occasional letterboxing/pillaring.

post #18 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
That sounds similar to my setup. Unfortunately my legacy Comcast stb has very limited end-user access to what it does so I had to have the Comcast tech do whatever he needed to do to set it up correctly. Yep, I let my C8 do all of the upscaling so there is no distortion at all, just the occasional letterboxing/pillaring.
On my older boxes it was not in the typical settings menu. With the box off, it was a matter of holding a particular button on the remote then hitting the power on button to get you into another otherwise inacccessible menu but I do not recall what that button was. I'm short on time but a google search may be able to get you there.
post #19 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
On my older boxes it was not in the typical settings menu. With the box off, it was a matter of holding a particular button on the remote then hitting the power on button to get you into another otherwise inacccessible menu but I do not recall what that button was. I'm short on time but a google search may be able to get you there.
Thanks for the tip. I'll Google around. The tech did say it was a button combination but he didn't remember, or wouldn't tell me, what it was. It would be nice to see how he has them setup.

post #20 of 20 Old 11-24-2019, 05:50 AM

@jwblue17

Any status?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page