Is this a fair 15m (50ft) HDMI 2.1 optical cable? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-27-2019, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Is this a fair 15m (50ft) HDMI 2.1 optical cable?

I have upgraded to 4K and need a 15m (50ft) HDMI cable (from PC to TV) supporting [email protected], VRR, dynamic HDR, etc. The cable is just there to get the job done; I'm not interested in paying more than I have to.

I came across this on Amazon, which looks good to me:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WHXSX8D/

Several 5 star reviews from verified purchases. Are there any red flags I'm not seeing? Any other recommendations? (Please mind the price )
MiSP is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 11-27-2019, 08:55 AM
DAK
Senior Member
 
DAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
See:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...hdmi-2-0b.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...l#post58133438

I don't think there are any truly certified HDMI 2.1 cables (especially at the length you are looking for), according to postings on these forums.
DAK is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 11-27-2019, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK View Post
See:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...hdmi-2-0b.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...l#post58133438

I don't think there are any truly certified HDMI 2.1 cables (especially at the length you are looking for), according to postings on these forums.
Thanks, I'll check out the other posts.


Also, I don't need it to be certified, just to actually work. (Though I get that certifications is a significant guarantee of proper performance, of course.)
MiSP is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 Old 11-27-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,321
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked: 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSP View Post
I have upgraded to 4K and need a 15m (50ft) HDMI cable (from PC to TV) supporting [email protected], VRR, dynamic HDR, etc. The cable is just there to get the job done; I'm not interested in paying more than I have to.

I came across this on Amazon, which looks good to me:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WHXSX8D/

Several 5 star reviews from verified purchases. Are there any red flags I'm not seeing? Any other recommendations? (Please mind the price )
As mentioned above, there is no such thing as an "HDMI 2.1" cable according to the marketing and packaging guidelines from HDMI.org. The correct term will be Ultra High Speed HDMI (UHS HDMI) to differentiate them from the ATC certified Premium High Speed HDMI cables (18Gbps). Certification for HDMI cables to meet the HDMI 2.1 feature sets is on-going but nothing has been officially certified, yet, regardless of marketing or product claims. VRR and eARC are capable with the current HDMI 2.0 chipsets on some systems, so you technically don't need HDMI 2.1. There are lots of cables being marketed now that claim 48Gbps but there is no way to verify that with consumer setups, so what works in a QC/QA lab, may not work at home with the wide variety of devices, setups and needs.

50' is difficult for a lot of cables, especially if you want/need ARC so there may be some trial and error in choosing a cable. Ideally, your best bet would be a hybrid fiber cable from someone like Ruipro (Ruipro4k). We recommend them because they have the most positive "reviews" from actual AVS users for long runs. Be very mindful of bend radius and if your cabling is installed in-wall, the use of a conduit is highly recommended and the ONLY way to future proof your cabling, because cabling requirements will be changing with the ever-changing video standards. Once HDMI 2.1 devices and sources are widely available, hybrid fiber cables will more than likely be the only way to go. However, they are expensive. Hence the use of a conduit if you don't have easy access to your cabling. Unfortunately, you will have to pay the band if want to dance the latest steps.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 11-27-2019, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
As mentioned above, there is no such thing as an "HDMI 2.1" cable according to the marketing and packaging guidelines from HDMI.org. The correct term will be Ultra High Speed HDMI (UHS HDMI) to differentiate them from the ATC certified Premium High Speed HDMI cables (18Gbps).

Thanks! Noted. That'll help with searching.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
50' is difficult for a lot of cables, especially if you want/need ARC
I don't. (This is the cable from the PC to the TV; I have a shorter cable from the TV to the receiver, which is the only one that needs ARC.)

To clarify, the only things I know I need are [email protected], VRR, HDR, and hopefully also ALLM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Be very mindful of bend radius and if your cabling is installed in-wall
Thankfully it's not; it runs along the living room wall hidden behind/under some furniture.

Last edited by MiSP; 11-27-2019 at 01:28 PM.
MiSP is online now  
post #6 of 6 Old 11-27-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,321
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked: 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSP View Post
Thanks! Noted. That'll help with searching.




I don't. (This is the cable from the PC to the TV; I have a shorter cable from the TV to the receiver, which is the only one that needs ARC.)

To clarify, the only things I know I need are [email protected], VRR, HDR, and hopefully also ALLM.



Thankfully it's not; it runs along the living room wall hidden behind/under some furniture.
I should clarify that the term UHS HDMI cables (Ultra High Speed) is being used a lot by cable mfrs now because the term implies 48Gbps bandwidth but as I said, there is no way to verify that with existing consumer devices. It sounds like you're a gamer. ALLM doesn't require the 48Gbps bandwidth so you might be ok with an active cable of sufficient wire gauge. The same for VRR/HDR. [email protected] I'd have to look up. So, a High Speed HDMI cable of sufficient wire gauge should work for your pc to the tv, as long as both have the same HDMI chipsets in them because that is what ultimately determines what is being sent and received down the data path (cable). The cable will probably be thick so again, be mindful of bend radius because you don't want to put any undue strain on the HDMI input. Good luck.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off