Cable / Wifi questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-07-2020, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Cable / Wifi questions

I bought a new router after building a game room onto my small house to assist with the wifi. I noticed the router (Asus 1700) didn't have a coax cable input like the older FIOS wifi router/modem I have now does (doh!) so managed to figure out to connect the new router to the old one. I set up the new wifi, but didn't disconnect the old wifi, so now i have multiple ones. Even though this router is supposed to be a really good one.. I have noticed the wifi drops during the day frequently, and I have to switch over to the other one. Does having multiple wifi slow them both down somehow? If so, I can go figure out how to go into the original FIOS router/modem and make that a modem only (which is something I have read you might want to do), so the new wifi from the new router is the only one.
Also, when this didn't drastically help out my wifi (in my new room with my AV receiver and projector I still had issues with connectivity when streaming Netflix to the projector) I bought a wifi extender (TP Link AC1750). I saw in the instructions it helps to be able to plug it directly in the device, but it also said it should be about halfway or less closer to the router. I have it plugged in right next to the PS4 in the new room, but fear since it is as far away from the router as the AV receiver and PS4 is, it's not doing much good extending the signal and I should just unplug it and put it about halfway between to two points. Since I still often have connectivity issues in that room (and it's kind of a small house) doesn't that sound like the best thing to do now? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-07-2020, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3965 Post(s)
Liked: 2851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale51 View Post
I bought a new router after building a game room onto my small house to assist with the wifi. I noticed the router (Asus 1700) didn't have a coax cable input like the older FIOS wifi router/modem I have now does (doh!) so managed to figure out to connect the new router to the old one. I set up the new wifi, but didn't disconnect the old wifi, so now i have multiple ones. Even though this router is supposed to be a really good one.. I have noticed the wifi drops during the day frequently, and I have to switch over to the other one. Does having multiple wifi slow them both down somehow? If so, I can go figure out how to go into the original FIOS router/modem and make that a modem only (which is something I have read you might want to do), so the new wifi from the new router is the only one.
Also, when this didn't drastically help out my wifi (in my new room with my AV receiver and projector I still had issues with connectivity when streaming Netflix to the projector) I bought a wifi extender (TP Link AC1750). I saw in the instructions it helps to be able to plug it directly in the device, but it also said it should be about halfway or less closer to the router. I have it plugged in right next to the PS4 in the new room, but fear since it is as far away from the router as the AV receiver and PS4 is, it's not doing much good extending the signal and I should just unplug it and put it about halfway between to two points. Since I still often have connectivity issues in that room (and it's kind of a small house) doesn't that sound like the best thing to do now? Thanks.

If you are using two routers one should be in bridge mode so you don't have conflicts on which one is going to be handling the heavy lifting (firewall, port assignments, addresses, etc). The same is true for your gateway. Disable the router and place the gateway in bridge mode. Sounds like you have too many router conflicts. I prefer not to use my ISP equipment and instead use a Motorola DOCSIS 3.1 modem and connect a mesh WiFi system to that (Netgear Orbi). The Orbi satellites (one, two or three depending on what you want to spend) that come with a system have 3 or 4 ethernet ports so you can connect various devices via ethernet to the satellites if you prefer not to connect via WiFi. The satellites can then communicate with the main router (back channel) via a separate WiFi link, which works very well, or you can hard wire it (which is what I do).

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page