Adding older TIVO premiere box to Xfinity Digital Cable question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-20-2020, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Adding older TIVO premiere box to Xfinity Digital Cable question

I bought a used/new in box Tivo Premiere 4 DVR box to use DVR capability with my Xfinity digital cable service that I have. I was told by xfinity that many of their customers use Tivo DVR boxes and don't pay for the monthly service that Tivo offers and almost forces people to get to be able to use one of their boxes. The whole point of me buying my own DVR and using it with my xfinity service is to save the 10 bucks a month that xfinity charges for their DVR service.

Xfinity is providing me with a cable card to put into the Tivo box at no charge and they said that's all I will need to be able to use my DVR box with their service. I just wanted to ask you fine folks if there will be any issues when I hook this Tivo box up without Tivo's service and the fact that the software on the Tivo box im sure is a little older since this DVR box was purchased a few years back, but never hooked up or used by anyone. Does anyone know any tricks that I could use (legal of course) to be able to just update the firmware on the Tivo box if necessary so it will be up to date? (If I even need to do that in the first place)

Thanks in advance for all your help. Take care and stay safe :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-21-2020, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I think xfinity might be feeding you incorrect information. All Tivos of that vintage require a subscription (monthly or lifetime) to work at all. You are correct in your supposition that the out of date software on your tivo that has been sitting in the box for many years could be a problem. The Tivo might not be able to get past the guided setup provisioning screen with out of date software that fails to connect properly to the tivo back end (it has happened to me). The process to get it to update itself before completing provisioning was tricky. If you have that problem, you might look on the tivo forums for advice on pulling the hard drive out and loading an updated image on it. Or you could buy an upgrade drive (will also increase storage capacity) since those come with a recent image loaded on them.

https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-premiere4-series4.php

My semi-dedicated theater: The EXASCALE CINEMA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Tags
firmware update , tivo premiere xl4 , xfinity

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page