Motorola DCT-2224 dual tuning and specs question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-11-2007, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to get some information about the Motorola DCT-2224 set-top box that I haven't been able to find by searching the Internet. First, does it have dual tuner capability--can I watch a channel on my TV while recording another channel on a tape? And second, what ports are on the back of this machine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptongrange View Post

I'd like to get some information about the Motorola DCT-2224 set-top box that I haven't been able to find by searching the Internet. First, does it have dual tuner capability--can I watch a channel on my TV while recording another channel on a tape? And second, what ports are on the back of this machine?

No. The DCT-2224 is an older single tuner box. It has a slower processor than the other Motorola boxes. It does not scale the video in the upper right hand corner in the full screen guide. It cannot do HD channels either.

If you want to record to a tape (ie, VCR), you could record 1 basic channel on the VCR, and watch something else on any channel over the cable box. If you want to have true dual tuner digital recording, you need to get a DVR box. They have faster processors, Dual tuners, and a 120 or 160 GB hard drive for storing recordings. Motorola model numbers are:

Analog and Digital compatible:
DCT-6412 or 6416
DCH-6412 or 6416

Digital Only:
DCT-3412 or 3416
DCH-3412 or 3416

Generally the ports on the back that would be of use are:
Composite (Yellow) RCA Video Out
Left, Right (White, Red) RCA Stereo Audio Out
RF Coaxial Out (Mono audio, RF output over Channel 3 or 4)
Some have a Digital Audio out for a stereo receiver and some rare ones have S-Video outputs.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptongrange View Post

2224 is part of the 2000 series which is single tuner - you won't find dual tuner unless you go with a 6400 or 3200 series

Nutshell of Major Motorola Boxes

DCT "Digital Cable Terminal" Series
DCT 2000 - SD single tuner (First Generation)
Usually has RCA outputs, possibly Svideo and in some instances Optical and Coaxial. Low memory and slow processor - if your using I-guide you won't get all the menu abilities.

DCT 2500 - Smaller faster version of 2000
usually has all option ports for SD (S-video, RCA, Optical, Coaxial)

DCT 5000 - HD Single Tuner (First Generation)
usually has all option ports for SD (S-video, RCA, Optical, Coaxial) as well as component output and DVI

DCT 5200 - Updated 5000
usually has all option ports for SD (S-video, RCA, Optical, Coaxial) as well as component output and DVI

**DVRS**
DCT 6200
Updated 5000 with single tuner DVR capability - end numbers indicate if a hard drive is present and if so how many gigs - I.E. 6208 would have an 80 gig hard drive in it. Most do not have HDs or may have been deployed before the MSO was ready for DVR and DVR may be disabled.

DCT 34xx - Dual tuner SD DVR - usually 3412 or 3416 (120 gigs or 160 gigs)
usually has all option ports for SD (S-video, RCA, Optical, Coaxial)
DCT 64xx - Dual tuner HD DVR - usually 6412 or 6416 (120 gigs or 160 gigs)
usually has all option ports for SD (S-video, RCA, Optical, Coaxial) + HDMI

DCP "Digital Convergence Platform" Series
DCP501 - short lived and very rarely deployed all in one system - no RF out for signal - RCA only - Built-in low grade 5.1 home theater and Low grade DVD player.
The DCP was designed around the DCT2000 platform - SD only and slow. there's a box you can plug into this to make it HD capable, but from what I've heard it's not worth it.

BMC "Broadband Media Center" Series (AKA Moxi Boxes)
These are co-branded with Digeo Moxi - Digeo created the platform and Motorola made the box.
Outputs -
S-video /RCA / Component / Optical / Coaxial / DVI / RF*

If RF output is located on an "attached" silver box - it's more than likely disabled - this is not properly RF shielded. 1394 "Firewire" are on a large number of these boxes and RCA/S-video/RF are disabled if DVI is plugged in or Moxi is set to a resolution other than 420i

BMC9012 Standard Moxi Box - 1 TV, 2 Tuners - features 80 gig hard drive

BMC9022 - Delux boxe - "2TV, 2 Tuner" - supports usage of the Moxi - Mate box - features 160 gig hard drive and built-in DVD player.

Moxi Mate - this is an analog unit (RCA / RF outputs only I believe) that's designed to work with the BMC9022 - when watching TV it takes one of the 9022's tuners - if both are busy it can also watch recorded programs on the host box as well as DVD player.

DCH "Digital Cable Host"
These are your OCAP (OpenCable) boxes which have do not have intergrated encryption

DCH 100 - SD all digital replacement for 2000-2500 series
DCH 200 - DCH100 with analog tuning ablities
DCH 6200 - Non-DVR SD Box
DCH 34xx - Digital only dual Tuner DVR (usually 3416)
DCH 64xx - DCH 3400 w/analog tuning abilities (usually 6416)

To my understanding these boxes are built to MOCA specs - which (in theory) should allow non-dvrs in the home to be able to access programming on DCH DVRs in the home. However at this time I cannot confirm (or Deny) this information.

****IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING BUYING YOUR OWN CABLE EQUIPMENT****

1) No not buy anything that isn't OCAP / CABLECARD compatible - most cable companies won't touch it otherwise because it will be assumed to be unreturned equipment from another cable company.

Currently TIVO Series III fits the bill, Digeo is due out soon with a new box and in theory Motorola / SA / Pioneer should be putting their stuff on the market soon.

2) Do not attempt to buy your own CABLECARD - again - most cable companies won't touch it otherwise because it will be assumed to be unreturned equipment from another cable company. - OCAP allows you to own your own box - but not the card... fortunately Cards aren't that pricy.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page