Wired IR input on Yamaha receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-21-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having far too much trouble finding an answer, so I figure I'll just ask...

I have a Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver. It has an input port for Remote In. I'm planning to install outdoor speakers that will operate as Zone 2 on the Yamaha and want to be able to use the receiver's mini remote to control it from outside.

What's required to get that going? I've seen stuff like Decora IR receivers that connect to Cat-5 cable, could that conceivably connect directly to the Yamaha's Remote In port? I only want to control the receiver, so no need for any IR blasters or anything, just something to get the IR signal translated and delivered to the Yamaha...

Thanks in advance...

-Mason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-21-2011, 11:07 AM

Liked: 14
I have not read the A2000's manual, but...

Based on my experience with EVERY OTHER brand of AVR with IR sending(via 1/8th cables), that is just to control a component sitting next to it(cd player, dvd player, cassette deck).

To do what you want, I would suggest using the A2000 to power the 2nd zone itself(cause you haven't said how you want to accomplish that yet...self powered or pre-out) and get a small universal remote that can control the receiver, and all the things you want to listen to, and get this...
http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generatio...6001224&sr=8-1
post #3 of 14 Old 05-21-2011, 11:23 AM

By the way, page 37 of your owners manual explains my prior post about the IR 1 and 2.

You can get an IR extender that works with that receiver(same thing as "hiding the receiver" in a closet) and use that from outside. Your choices are...

Put an IR sensor outside to send the signal into the house(xantech/sewell/cables to go)
Put a wireless extender in the remote itself(Next Generation)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-22-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, the details of what I want to accomplish are pretty simple, just want to use the tiny second remote that came with the AVR to change two things - volume and FM tuner preset. It does both well when I go sit in front of the AVR already, so that's good to go.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether it's worth the cost to bother with IR at all since I can use the web interface of the Yamaha via an iPhone to do everything I want. I'd like to do it for ease of use when visitors want a turn with the remote. If I can control the receiver by installing an IR sensor outside that can be plugged directly to the AVR, that is definitely worth the cost to me. If I have to also get a distribution / connecting block to relay, translate or otherwise intermediate between the sensor and the Yamaha, the cost of the gear as well as the hassle of coming up with a way to get power to it, where to mount it (the AVR is out in the open essentially, no closet to hide this in as a result) then it's very easy for cross it off the list of worthwhile projects at the house.

Somehow I completely missed the bus on IR relay technology, so I appreciate you taking the time to help me with something that I'm sure even newbies generally understand without having to ask...

-Mason
post #5 of 14 Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 AM

If you don't know it exists, you can't shop for it.

My advice is to get a Next Generation. $40-ish bucks and you just put the base end with-in eyesight of the Yamaha. Those work with-in 75-100 feet(depends what walls are made of, other RF stuff in use...)
post #6 of 14 Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Here is a typical IR receiver module:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=425-2006-ND

If you can find the pinouts for the Yamaha receivers IR in, you can connect this module to it.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 38
[quote=schan1269;20468832]I have not read the A2000's manual, but...

Based on my experience with EVERY OTHER brand of AVR with IR sending(via 1/8th cables), that is just to control a component sitting next to it(cd player, dvd player, cassette deck).

You're referring to IR OUTPUT; the OP asked about the IR INPUT. No wonder people end up so confused.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-26-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

After further consideration and for lack of a clear, unobtrusive means of accomplishing this, I've decided I could do without the IR control and stick to the web interface of the Yamaha that gives me everything I need to control every zone. Thanks for the feedback!

-Mason
post #9 of 14 Old 05-27-2011, 04:38 AM

I guess my post is only visible to me .
post #10 of 14 Old 05-27-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

I guess my post is only visible to me .

My guess is that it only seems like a good idea to you.

EDIT: To the OP: If you change your mind, you were on the right track. You could do a Decora style IR receiver and run Cat5 from it to where your receiver is. Xantech (& others I assume) makes a single source/single zone connecting block, and you'd just add a power supply and a 3.5" mono male-to-male cable from the connecting block to the IR in on your Yamaha.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-28-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:

My guess is that it only seems like a good idea to you.

It's what the OP asked for. My guess is that it went way over your head.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-29-2011, 06:36 AM

There are things in the A/V world that occasionally go over my head, but IR distribution is generally not one of them. I have no desire to get into a pissing match with a random person on a forum--I don't really need to pee right now. The OP had mentioned a Decora-style IR receiver. I know lots of people here like to do things the "cost-effective" way, but in my opinion, that's not often the "right way." Soldering your little IR target to another wire so it can be extended, then figuring out how to mount it so it's protected & doesn't look like poo, doesn't seem like the best route to take. Maybe it would be fine for your system. Not for mine. We all have our opinions.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-29-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Soldering your little IR target to another wire so it can be extended, then figuring out how to mount it so it's protected & doesn't look like poo, doesn't seem like the best route to take.

Understood. Not everyone has what it takes to do these sorts of projects.
It just seems silly to buy all that extra and redundant equipment, when all you really need is the receiver module....but that's just my opinion.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-20-2018, 11:48 PM

Angry Sam, your way off

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post
Here is a typical IR receiver module:

URL to sharp electronics chip on digikey (I can't post URL's yet)

If you can find the pinouts for the Yamaha receivers IR in, you can connect this module to it.
Sam, you and a few others have recommend this route. Maybe why no one listened to you is that this chip is for cable boxes mostly and its rated for 6V max. AV recievers remote in use a 12V bus. My testing shows the remote in jack does not supply any voltages/power and this chip needs power to run. I even built a circuit another user posted, on another AV forum, using a very similar chip to this, and he said the circuit was for Yamaha. The chip by itself produced a 5V signal, his circuit did not. It was a complete waste of a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page