Wrong IP for Nuvo MPS-4 Elite / Resetting? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By someusername
  • 1 Post By tws068
  • 1 Post By Dan Glazerman

post #1 of 27 Old 11-05-2011, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

unfortunately (didn't knew better in advance) I've set my Music-Server to IP 192.168.1.255 which is the broadcast-IP of that IP-area

Anyone an idea how I can change the IP on the server?
Or will I have to reset it (and how)?
Which IP will it have after a reset?

Thank U & Greetz from Germany

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-05-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Ick, they shouldn't have let you set that address...

There is a reset button behind the front panel door, but I don't know if it will reset the IP configuration, or just restarts the unit.

Have you tried disconnecting everything else from the network (other than your router), and see if you can communicate with it then? You might also try disconnecting the MPS4 from the network, hooking it and a PC to a switch, ping 192.168.1.255 and see if you get a response. If so, the PC may learn the MAC address and you *might* be able to access it from there...

Good luck, although I'd send an email to NuVo Tech Support to get that path started...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-05-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Tech Support can email you a link to a file that you copy to a USB drive.

The USB drive is put into the MPS4 front USB port.

The MPS4 automatically reads the file. It changes MPS4 back to HDCP again.

Didn't work with mine, though. Will try a few more things, like a new router, but I will prob RMA this week.

Small recessed reset button on front of MPS4, behind door, is for a power cycle of the MPS4, similar to the front power button. Doesn't 'reset' anything. I wish it did, though.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-06-2011, 05:58 AM

Liked: 11
If you just try to connect to a pc directly, the pc will likely still see 192.16.1.255 as a broadcast address. You can try changing the network configuration of the pc to 192.168.1.x AND a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. The msp4 will then no longer be on the broadcast address for the subnet according to the pc. See if it will respond then.

Of course, if the nuvo software uses a broadcast to find the msp4 in the first place, this definitely won't work. If you can specify the address of the mps4 directly, then you have a shot.

It's better than an RMA, IMO.

Good luck.
post #5 of 27 Old 11-06-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've tried everything myself. Will RMA this week. Wish I could connect directly to the MPS4 and configure.

2nd RMA for music server - first RMA to Automated Outlet was incredibly smooth, and upgraded to MPS4E at that time. No problems at all.

Will be a challenge to get through the week without the MPS4, but has to be done. I lost internet radio a week ago, with my static IP fail, but I haven't lost the NuvoNet connection, so can still play digital music files from the MPS4. At least until it's boxed up.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 27 Old 11-06-2011, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, what is RMA and IMO?
post #7 of 27 Old 11-06-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHMB View Post

Sorry, what is RMA and IMO?

>> It's better than a Return Merchandise Authorization, In My Opinion...

And yes, it is...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #8 of 27 Old 11-06-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I've tried everything myself. Will RMA this week.

Sorry to hear that. Allowing a user to enter a broadcast address seems like a rather big bug -- one that should not have passed quality assurance.
post #9 of 27 Old 11-06-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I changed the IP address, and I'm unsure why it's not responding. As far as I know, I used a valid IP address outside of my DHCP range, and didn't change anything else from the browser config page. I selected the same IP address in my router table to set a static IP, and now there is no broadcast IP. I've tried AngryIP/ipscan, and nmap, and it's not on my network.

I first attempted from the router table, to set a static IP, without success. So I tried from the MPS4 browser config page, and lost connection.

Are you saying that the browser config page shouldn't have the option of changing the broadcast IP?

post #10 of 27 Old 11-07-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:

I changed the IP address, and I'm unsure why it's not responding. As far as I know, I used a valid IP address outside of my DHCP range, and didn't change anything else from the browser config page.

Even if it were inside the DHCP range, you shouldn't have problems unless another device happens to get the same address you set.

Quote:

I selected the same IP address in my router table to set a static IP, and now there is no broadcast IP. I've tried AngryIP/ipscan, and nmap, and it's not on my network.

So is the "router table" something specific to the MPS4? I'm assuming your not talking about the IP routing table.

That it is not responding to nmap, etc is really odd. Have you tried something like arping? I can't imagine it doesn't have a least one open port but, even if not, it should respond to an arp "who-has" query. If you have the MAC address you can try querying that directly with arping too.

Quote:

Are you saying that the browser config page shouldn't have the option of changing the broadcast IP?

Well, I meant that you shouldn't be allowed to set a device address to the broadcast address for the subnet, but you probably shouldn't be allowed to set the broadcast ip either, other than by changing the subnet mask. Most every network I've seen uses a ones-broadcast address (e.g. address | ! subnet_mask ). it doesn't really make sense to deviate from that on a consumer-targeted device.

From what you describe, it seems like something is seriously messed up with the device, beyond a simple misconfigured address. It's too bad.
post #11 of 27 Old 11-08-2011, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I will try arping, thanks. Maybe it's a music server software 'firewall' preventing recognition.

'Router table'

I've only used a few different routers, but each offered a summary page of DHCP assigned and static ip addresses ('IP Routing Table'). Sorry for the noob descriptor.

I wish there was a means to easily reflash to factory default, perhaps with an ISO, from a USB drive. Would make starting over very easy. Initial configuration of the MPS4 takes 5 mins, so it would be perfect for troubleshooting in the field - just start over.

post #12 of 27 Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:

I will try arping, thanks. Maybe it's a music server software 'firewall' preventing recognition.

Doubtful, but one can hope. . .

Quote:

I've only used a few different routers, but each offered a summary page of DHCP assigned and static ip addresses ('IP Routing Table'). Sorry for the noob descriptor.

No apology necessary. Usually when I see "routing table" it refers to a list of gateways, subnet masks, weights, and interfaces, but it does not usually include DHCP information. It's used to determine how to get a packet to a destination (routing). Hence, my confusion on that point. It makes more sense now.

Quote:

I wish there was a means to easily reflash to factory default, perhaps with an ISO, from a USB drive. Would make starting over very easy. Initial configuration of the MPS4 takes 5 mins, so it would be perfect for troubleshooting in the field - just start over.

It would make sense, but the cynic in me says it won't have such a function. :-/
post #13 of 27 Old 11-13-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Just letting You all know that I "made it out" with the help of Nuvo.

Supplied a reset tool to me that had to be "entered" to the MPS4 via USB-Stick. Now everything works fine again

Only thing I am missing is something like a User's Manual besides this Installation Manual. Does anybody have such a manual?

Greetz

Michael
post #14 of 27 Old 11-13-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHMB View Post

Just letting You all know that I "made it out" with the help of Nuvo.

Supplied a reset tool to me that had to be "entered" to the MPS4 via USB-Stick. Now everything works fine again

Only thing I am missing is something like a User's Manual besides this Installation Manual. Does anybody have such a manual?

Greetz

Michael

Hmmm - they've redone their website, don't see any of the user/install guides anywhere...

PM sent.

Jeff

post #15 of 27 Old 11-13-2011, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you know what you need on the Nuvo site, the search tool should work. For example, search for 'newsletter' to get the newsletters. At least, that's what I've been told by Dr. 'Watt'.

The 'reset to DHCP' USB-loaded .exe file did not work for me. Mailed back to AO yesterday, $35 to RMA to AO, parcel post, with insurance. Double boxed, wished Automated Outlet did that. I also hope that Martin has his google alerts set. I wouldn't mind spending a little extra, for the double box. . Damn, I've had great customer service from AO.

Martin has been busy opening his new B&M store in Houston.

HHMB, glad to hear that Nuvo TS hooked you up.

post #16 of 27 Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 AM

Liked: 0
Hi

I know this is a old thread but I am in serious need of some help and as you are talking about the issue I think I may have the, I thought this could be the first place for me to start ...

I have recently purchased a Nuvo grand concerto and a MPS4 from that's well known auction site.

The grand concerto works great but I can't get anything from the MPS4.

I have the power light ( blue one ) flashing at me. The LAN light is actually off ( what would indicate everything is working okay according to the instructions ) The RS232 light is solid red ( but don't have anything plugged in to these so guess that is why ) the 4 zone lights are on and the nuvo link light is off.

So my problem I cannot get the remote configuration tool up ... I can't get / find the ip. I have checked the DHCP table on my router and have tried using the keypad to find it ( as detailed in the instructions but can't ) all I get on the keypad is initialising and then a little later init. failed.

So can anyone help ? and / or do you have the reset tool or know how i can get it ( as nuvo have not got back to me )

Thank you very much for your time and I hope someone out there can help me !

Will
post #17 of 27 Old 08-08-2014, 11:14 AM

Liked: 1
I thought I'd post some info here to help out owners in the future as I was having some issues like this as well.

-------------------------------

First try this
1. Press the power button on the front of the server.
2. After the blue standby light turns off, unplug the power cable from the MPS4.
3. Power down the switch.
4. Power cycle the network router.
5. Wait until the router is fully up and running and you have network connectivity through the router. Then power on the switch.
6. Wait until the switch is fully booted up.
7. Plug the power cable back in to the MPS4-E and press the power button to boot up the server.
8. Wait until the MPS4-E completely boots up before connecting to the MSP4-E.

When the server begins to boot up, it may take 5 minutes or more for it to be fully booted up. This is where the NuVo in-wall Control Pads can be helpful. They will display “Source Initializing,” then “Connecting to Source,” and then “Ready.” Or, if there is a problem, they may hang on either “Connecting to Source” or “Init Failed.” Without Control Pads in the system, watch the HDD light on the front of the MPS4-E. It will flash very consistently during boot up, but should be mostly off with an occasional flash after it has completely booted up.

--------------------------------

If you've changed your IP address and can't login anymore then you'll want to reset to DHCP

You will need to follow the link below and get a file to put into the MPS4..this will reset it to DHCP.

RESET TO DHCP (http://www.nuvoaudio.com/downloads/s...ET-TO-DHCP.EXE)

When to use it:

This utility should be used if the customer has set up the MPS4 for a static IP address and can no longer connect to it with remote config. The utility changes the LAN settings from Static IP (manual configuration) back to DHCP. If a customer needs to do this, follow these steps:

1. Place the file MPS4-RESET-TO-DHCP.EXE in the root directory of a USB thumb drive.
2. Insert the USB thumb drive into the front panel of the MPS4.
3. Wait for 30 seconds while the MPS4 runs the application, then remove the thumb drive.
4. You will know the utility was executed if the MPS4 removed it from the thumb drive.
5. You can now determine the new IP address of the MPS4 by using the keypads, Music Port Sync, or by looking at the DHCP clients table in the network router.
6. Done.

Then try the top steps again to power on your equipment in the right order.

---------------------------------------------------------

If that does not resolve the issue, download the standalone setup file and follow the steps below:
http://www.nuvoaudio.com/downloads/s...alonesetup.exe
1. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the MPS4-E.
2. Place the standalonesetup.exe in the root directory of a USB thumb drive.
3. Insert the USB thumb drive into the front panel of the MPS4-E.
4. Wait 5-10 minutes (it's more important to wait for the server to completely boot up than to wait a specific amount of time) while the MPS4-E runs the application and reboots, then remove the thumb drive. (You can follow the process on a Control Pad. Once it starts running the application, it will say “Source Unavailable” on the Control Pad. Then it will say “Shutting Down” while the server resets. When it boots back up, it will say “Source Initializing,” then “Connecting to Source,” and then “Ready.” Without Control Pads in the system, watch the HDD light on the front of the MPS4-E. It will flash very consistently during boot up, but should be mostly off with an occasional flash after it has completely booted up.)
-- If, after 10 minutes, you do not get any of these messages on the Control Pad, please reboot the server with the USB drive in the computer. Follow the messages on the Control Pads as listed in the above step.
5. You will know the utility was executed if the MPS4-E removed it from the thumb drive.
6. Reconnect the Ethernet cable.
7. Done.
mstress likes this.
post #18 of 27 Old 12-13-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Another old thread revive; I installed a GC system with an MPS4 a couple of years ago at a residence. Worked fine until recently; for some reason, audio outputs A and B (streaming) won't initialize. Output C (streaming) still works fine. We got the IP address of the MPS4 according to the app, but aren't able to connect to it, nor via "music-port/config." Was able to log in to their router, but did not see the Music Port listed.

I'm guessing something was changed in the IP setup, though they state nothing has changed. Does anyone know if the above info/links are good? I'd like to try the USB/reset to DHCP steps if they're valid.

Thanks,
Matt

My Area: Samsung 75" Q9FN / Marantz NR1608 / Polk Signature S55 / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro | Living Room: Samsung UN55LS03N ("The Frame" 2018) | Family Room: Sony XBR-65X850E
Nuvo Player Portfolio Whole-Home Audio System (P4300, P200, P10 keypad, P30 tablet)
Xbox Live: oktober rust | PSN: oktoberrust11
post #19 of 27 Old 12-20-2016, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
FYI; got a reply from Nuvo/Legrand tech support, basically echoing the above steps and links. Sounds like the links are legit.

Matt

My Area: Samsung 75" Q9FN / Marantz NR1608 / Polk Signature S55 / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro | Living Room: Samsung UN55LS03N ("The Frame" 2018) | Family Room: Sony XBR-65X850E
Nuvo Player Portfolio Whole-Home Audio System (P4300, P200, P10 keypad, P30 tablet)
Xbox Live: oktober rust | PSN: oktoberrust11
post #20 of 27 Old 12-20-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good luck. Resetting to DHCP using the Nuvo USB trick seems to be hit or miss.

post #21 of 27 Old 08-16-2019, 10:53 AM

Liked: 2
Again - adding to the thread in case anyone else searches in future. I also tried the USB .exe approach from Nuvo to reset to DHCP. For some reason this didn't work for me although the file was removed from the USB stick suggesting the program ran.

In the end I hooked up a monitor, keyboard and mouse to the Music Port, launched control panel (it's a PC running Windows XP beneath the surface) and set the IP address manually. I found that DHCP wasn't active and the IP address was 0. One the IP address was set the Music Port was visible on the network and the standard configuration web page worked.
Neurorad likes this.
post #22 of 27 Old 09-07-2019, 06:42 PM

Similar Nuvo MPS-4 Issues

Sorry to jump on this thread, but it seems I am having somewhat similar issues. We inherited a Nuvo system with our recent house purchase, and other than initially connecting it to our internet music sources I don't know a ton about it.

I recently disconnected most everything as we bought a new Media Cabinet. When I reconnected everything (I think correctly), I was getting "Init. Failed" on the keypad. I could see on my router that the Nuvo wasn't connected to our network, which brought me to this page.

Following some suggestions, I first tried to reset to DHCP with the .exe on the USB. Nothing happened, and the file remained on the USB. Same for the standalone setup file.

So then followed the suggestion of connecting keyboard/mouse/monitor, and on the monitor I'm getting a "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \Windows\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

I will try to contact Nuvo support on Monday but I don't know if they're even still supporting this model, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Dan
post #23 of 27 Old 09-08-2019, 02:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Unfortunately you will not get any help from Nuvo/Legrand. The system is not supported any more.

You have a “PC problem”. Most likely due to a drive error. V2 is prone to this. Chkdsk.exe would normally fix it.

Here is what you need to do:

1) Google your quoted error message.
E.g. run through alternatives 2-4 in this link:
https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-sy...ssing-corrupt/

2) if you at last get access to read the drive, harvest the license certificate in the Autonomic folder.
- you may need it if everything else fails in the future. It was not necessary to keep before, but at some point the Autonomic license server may cease to respond to fresh installs and could be useful.

3) if everything else fails or if you wish to preserve/upgrade the MPS4, look at the first post of this thread
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-ho...servation.html

Last edited by Bobone; 09-08-2019 at 11:15 AM.
post #24 of 27 Old 09-08-2019, 02:57 PM

Bobone,
Thank you so much for the very helpful reply! I am admittedly over my head with this stuff, but doing my best to work through it.

So I attempted to do the reboot from "last known good configuration" and that didn't work.

I'm not sure how to correctly run the CHKDSK without a CDROM, but I did try to 1) boot into safe mode with command prompt to try to run it from there and
2) Put CHKDSK on a USB and have it run from there. Neither were successful but I have no idea if these are the right ways to do this.

I didn't try the "restore registry manually" since I don't have the XP disc or a CD Rom attached, and also because this seemed potentially dangerous for someone of my limited abilities.

Would it be worth trying the EASYRE tool that can be bought through the site you linked? I'm assuming I would create a bootable USB and run it from there?

I haven't read through the other thread you mentioned but I did run into it the other day and suspect that is where I'm heading, but nervous as i will likely need to find someone with better understanding of computers to work through that with me.

Thanks again for the help and advice!
Dan
post #25 of 27 Old 09-08-2019, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am unfortunately not a Windows specialist either. If you could find a repair shop for old PCs, it might be the best for you.

Don’t know anything about EASYRE, but you need to know that you are running WinXPe, as in embedded. It is a very stripped down version of WinXP. Stripping it makes it very stable, but you also lack many tools. EASYRE might not handle that. Don’t know.

Having said that, I believe you could boot from an external drive (with any OS) and try to run included tools. Have never done it myself though and cannot direct you.

Please make a write-up when you succeed.😁

Good luck!

Last edited by Bobone; 09-08-2019 at 09:27 PM.
post #26 of 27 Old 09-09-2019, 10:41 AM

Thanks again Bobone! It'll be a couple of days until I can get back to this, but I will post back how it all works out.
Dan
post #27 of 27 Old 09-20-2019, 02:25 PM

Success!

So after spending several hours trying to get the system to boot off a USB and run CHKDSK, I took Bobone's advice and brought the MPS4 to a PC repair shop. After working on it for a couple of hours, they have it running perfectly again. Sounds like it was a registry issue as Bobone originally suspected. According to the repair guy he booted it from an XP disk, ran CHKDSK several times which didn't seem to do anything. Then he tried MBRFIX and bootfix (possibly a couple of times each) and it now boots up just fine. I suspect down the road I'll need to replace the hard drive per the other thread suggested earlier, but for now I'm thrilled to be up and running again. By the way, the bill for the PC repair guy was only $60 (although I gave him $100 because that didn't seem sufficient) so for others who are over their heads with this stuff like I was I would definitely recommend going that route.

Thanks again Bobone and to the entire forum for the help and support in getting this figured out!
Dan
Bobone likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page