• 1 Post By mbarland

post #1 of 13 Old 08-12-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hi Guys

Tired of Harmonies, their long tx range and no way to tell if device is on. Got a great deal on new URC MSC-400, but need software. Any ideas where I can get it?

Regards

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-12-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Try googling it, but i doubt that you will find it.

AV Professional for 23 Years
post #3 of 13 Old 01-28-2019, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post
Hi Guys

Tired of Harmonies, their long tx range and no way to tell if device is on. Got a great deal on new URC MSC-400, but need software. Any ideas where I can get it?

Regards

Mark

So this is a super old thread, however, I was curious if you ever got the answer to this question? I've got the CCP, but I'm not seeing anything for the MSC-400 and I'm really interested in picking one up. Thanks!

Jim

Fronts: Power Sound Audio MTM-210T | Center: Power Sound Audio MTM-210C | Rears: Power Sound Audio MT-110SR | Sub: JBL PB12
AVR: Denon AVR3312CI
| TV: Sony 65" KDL65W850C | Streaming: nVidia Shield 16GB 2018 | BluRay: PlayStation 3 | HTPC: Kodibuntu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-30-2019, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNLiberal View Post
So this is a super old thread, however, I was curious if you ever got the answer to this question? I've got the CCP, but I'm not seeing anything for the MSC-400 and I'm really interested in picking one up. Thanks!

Jim
If you've got the CCP software, that's all you'd need to program an MSC-400. Provided you're running Windows XP. The MSC-400 is a pain in the ass to get working nowadays.
CNLiberal likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-04-2019, 09:20 AM

So I've purchased an MX-990 from Surf Control, and they provided the CCP. I purchased an MSC-400 from someone on eBay. They provided MSC Editor. As you said, the MSC-400 is configurable from CCP. I've got a laptop with Win 10 Pro x32 installed, and the driver for the MSC-400 does seem to work. However, CCP is crashing and hanging on me saying it's "Out of Memory". I'm able to get back into my saved config and keep working. Guess we'll see if I really need to get out the old XP disc and install a VM. Still working my way through!

Fronts: Power Sound Audio MTM-210T | Center: Power Sound Audio MTM-210C | Rears: Power Sound Audio MT-110SR | Sub: JBL PB12
| TV: Sony 65" KDL65W850C | Streaming: nVidia Shield 16GB 2018 | BluRay: PlayStation 3 | HTPC: Kodibuntu
post #6 of 13 Old 02-17-2019, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
So I've purchased an MX-990 from Surf Control, and they provided the CCP. I purchased an MSC-400 from someone on eBay. They provided MSC Editor. As you said, the MSC-400 is configurable from CCP. I've got a laptop with Win 10 Pro x32 installed, and the driver for the MSC-400 does seem to work. However, CCP is crashing and hanging on me saying it's "Out of Memory". I'm able to get back into my saved config and keep working. Guess we'll see if I really need to get out the old XP disc and install a VM. Still working my way through!
I run CCP on a couple of my Windows 7 64Bit computers with no problems, shouldn't need to go all the way back to XP. I don't have an MSC-400 so I don't know if it would work on a 64 bit OS, I wish URC would have made an updated version of the MSC-400 for the CCP line.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-18-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB123 View Post
I run CCP on a couple of my Windows 7 64Bit computers with no problems, shouldn't need to go all the way back to XP. I don't have an MSC-400 so I don't know if it would work on a 64 bit OS, I wish URC would have made an updated version of the MSC-400 for the CCP line.
Yeah I know the 990 can run on 64bit, but the MSC-400 can't. I tried running CCP on Win 10 x32 for the 400. It worked, but it kicked lots of memory errors. So I created a Virtual box XP and CCP hasn't had the same issue. I haven't been able to try the USB pass through but I need a functioning 400 to try.

URC got back to me and told me to call the support number. I'll give that a try soon.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

post #8 of 13 Old 02-19-2019, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Sorry, I did not know the limitations of the MSC-400.
I use MRX-2 devices in my system because I have KP-4000 touchscreens included in my system.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-31-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB123 View Post
Sorry, I did not know the limitations of the MSC-400.

I use MRX-2 devices in my system because I have KP-4000 touchscreens included in my system.
From what I've read, the MRX-2 (without IP control) will only work by repeating IR signals. Unfortunately I need some serial control to make my TV look clean and so my son doesn't rip off the repeater.

post #10 of 13 Old 08-04-2019, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
From what I've read, the MRX-2 (without IP control) will only work by repeating IR signals. Unfortunately I need some serial control to make my TV look clean and so my son doesn't rip off the repeater.

Just curious if you've had any luck with this. I'm thinking about doing the same but not sure how feasible it is. I do have an old laptop I can wipe and boot into XP if necessary.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-08-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeoscar View Post
Just curious if you've had any luck with this. I'm thinking about doing the same but not sure how feasible it is. I do have an old laptop I can wipe and boot into XP if necessary.
I've got the MSC-400 working, and I didn't need XP. I got away with Win 10 x32. Every once in a while, when I'm loading code to the MSC-400, it takes MINUTES to overnight for the code to completely load. Usually when I have the CCP open too long. I have run into an issue where a SERIAL code on the MSC-400 is missing. I'm not sure if I programmed it wrong, or what happened. But I'm darned close!

post #12 of 13 Old 08-11-2019, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I've got the MSC-400 working, and I didn't need XP. I got away with Win 10 x32. Every once in a while, when I'm loading code to the MSC-400, it takes MINUTES to overnight for the code to completely load. Usually when I have the CCP open too long. I have run into an issue where a SERIAL code on the MSC-400 is missing. I'm not sure if I programmed it wrong, or what happened. But I'm darned close!
How have you found the experience? I'm in a similar situation to you - it's crazy that if you want a hard button universal remote the only choices are 1) Harmony with mostly IR control or 2) a pro-installed system. That the best option is a 13 yr old device that went out of production 10yrs ago and can't even run on a modern PC OS is insane, yet here we are. Everything I have is controllable by IP or Serial. I tried out simple control which is pretty good, but at the end of the day using a touch screen is ridiculous. If CEC were more reliable I could actually get away with just a Roku remote (we don't have cable), but unfortunately my TV (Samsung) won't reliably turn on the receiver (Pioneer).
post #13 of 13 Old 08-22-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeoscar View Post
How have you found the experience? I'm in a similar situation to you - it's crazy that if you want a hard button universal remote the only choices are 1) Harmony with mostly IR control or 2) a pro-installed system. That the best option is a 13 yr old device that went out of production 10yrs ago and can't even run on a modern PC OS is insane, yet here we are. Everything I have is controllable by IP or Serial. I tried out simple control which is pretty good, but at the end of the day using a touch screen is ridiculous. If CEC were more reliable I could actually get away with just a Roku remote (we don't have cable), but unfortunately my TV (Samsung) won't reliably turn on the receiver (Pioneer).
I'm sorry I just saw this message! So I haven't fully switched over. I've not found a good time to migrate, because I have to have my Flirc relearn some codes. Not a big deal, but haven't had a chance. The biggest issue I've had during testing is the RFX-250. I've got a server rack in my basement and an AV rack right next to it. This apparently kicks off a lot of RF interference. So I had to figure a way around that. I was so hung up on finding a proper 3 or 4 wire with shield that I forgot I had CAT5e in my garage. So I pulled about 20 feet of it, and twisted a pair together, then three wires together then the last three. I used the PHOENIX plugs included with the MSC-400 and the 250 and if you look, you'll see that 5V and data are flipped, so don't forget to flip those. But once I moved that away from the racks, the RADIO light on the 250 went out (which means no interference) and things started working! But like I said before, the MSC-400 sometimes takes a LONG time to accept code (I let it sit overnight once, but it took). I just need to get better at programming the handheld. I need something that's more intuitive. But I'm a helluva lot closer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Universal Remote Control Msc 400 Msc 400 Master System Controller

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page