Whole House Audio (WHA) Basics - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-04-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking to start a brief FAQ, to help myself and other Noobs with understanding how to Run WHA. And if it ends up being good enough maybe it will become a sticky. I know I am going to say a lot of incorrect information, so please feel free to correct me. Also, I am going to focus on the wired systems because that is what I am interested in.

(Not limited too, but these I have seen recommended recently.)
Manufacturers:
Wired:
Nuvo
Russsound
HTD
Wireless:
Sonos
Your local installer:
Sorry, I can't help much here.

Pre-wiring (wired systems only)
From Central location to Control Point
Selectable input:
1 Cat 5
2 pair of speaker wire
Adding Video
2 additional Cat 5
From Control Point to Speaker(s)
1 Pair of speaker wire to each speaker

Why Cat 5? This is to send signals from the access point to the receiver, and power to the access point (control panel) (At least this is how nuvo is set up.)
Why 2 pairs of speaker wire? This is just normal right/left stereo signals.

What else do I need to?

How to control the system:
Most systems I see come with an IR Repeater to go from the Receiver to the Source.

Some systems will receive an IR signal from the access point. I am currently researching this, so I will update later.

Obviously every system is different, but here are some questions that I have currently:
Do most systems need an additional amp?
I believe the HTD uses one, but didn't know about the others.
If everything is prewired, and I bought this system. other than speakers do I need to buy anything else?

Can I mix systems Old/New or even Different Brands? Short answer, Probably Not. (But you will have to research your particular system.)

I think I am going to investigate the options for a brand at a time, But I am afraid that it will sound more like an advertisement, and I don't want to appear that way. What do you all think?
Again this is a work in progress I will update as I get new information.
Thanks
markelbat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-04-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Reserved
post #3 of 12 Old 11-04-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Great thread, I'd suggest putting something regarding remote control features in there. I know HTD has the HTDNet device, Russound I believe has an app, and probably all of them are controllable via RS232.

I'm closing on my house soon, so I'll be going through this process in the next couple months...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-04-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Nuvo Grand Concerto (GC) and Essentia are wired, with keypads (keypads are optional, when the MPS4/E music server is used; MPS4 control from apps)

Nuvo also offers a wireless system (P3100, P200, P100).

You wouldn't install a whole-house audio system without a networked music server (plays streamed music from the internet (Pandora, SiriusXM, Spotify, streamed terrestial radio stations), and digital music files from your PCs). So, a CD player is not needed. And, FM tuner is not usually needed.

The use of a component satellite radio tuner (SiriusXM) is debatable; with some music servers, the internet stream may time out, while the component tuner may not.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 12 Old 11-07-2013, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A-Bus is another viable option. Channel Vision makes them and it's available on monoprice. So its a cheap option. Russsound and a few others license A-Bus tech.

sCiEnt
post #6 of 12 Old 11-11-2013, 07:55 PM

Hello,

When I was pulling wire we ran to all locations (volume control / keypad locations) Rg6/Cat5/18-2 and 16-4 Speaker wire. Also I did not see it above if you have a longer run put in 14-4.

Thank you

Tyler
post #7 of 12 Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Audio4u2, what is the RG-6 for?

Which product would use it?

Thanks,
post #8 of 12 Old 11-13-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some video rooms may share speakers with the distributed audio system. The easiest way to share the speakers is to use run a line-level zone output of the WHA system into an AVR. Speakers are powered by the AVR. But, that's impossible if there is no AVR for a given TV.

Nuvo offers Local Source Amps (LSA) for amplifying TV audio, where an AVR is not used. The LSA provides amplification, and switching between the TV audio and whole-house audio, triggered by the keypad. To use this feature, run a category cable from the keypad location to the TV location.

The Nuvo Simplese is a third hardwired Nuvo whole-house audio system - GC, Essentia, and Simplese.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #9 of 12 Old 11-13-2013, 07:46 AM

Great point on local source inputs. A lot of systems have these.

Some Keypads also have control outputs (Ir / RS232 / relay) to a controllable devices such as TV via IR or RS232 or shades, etc.

Rg6 would be for Video if the controller had this option.

Tyler
post #10 of 12 Old 11-13-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, Nuvo also offers a Local Source Input (LSI) device, in addition to the LSA.

post #11 of 12 Old 11-13-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4u2 View Post

Rg6 would be for Video if the controller had this option.

Are there any current products that could actually make use of this? I would expect any future keypad / controller products would utilize IP video or locally-generated content (aka color touchscreens). A single RG6 for composite video feels like a waste to me - at least as general advice...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-13-2013, 03:37 PM

Yes the Elan Systems still use composite video in. While I agree everything is going IP. RG6 is cheap so why not?

tYLER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page