Any experience with the Monoprice 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller? - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #631 of 688 Old 07-18-2018, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121940kz View Post
For now i would probably say that is not in scope for my app. It would be kind of hard to build in all of these other external devices to control when i dont own all of them, and i don't know how they can remotely be controlled. My app also does not have a web interface, at this point is it just the android app.
I didn't mean for you to have to control my denon avr but for me to write a script myself that triggers your controller to change settings on the monoprice. So pretty much a web service or an API, maybe the same one that your android app uses?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 688 Old 07-18-2018, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawke View Post
I didn't mean for you to have to control my denon avr but for me to write a script myself that triggers your controller to change settings on the monoprice. So pretty much a web service or an API, maybe the same one that your android app uses?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Actually there are already some API's / services written that you could use. I'm not using any of these so i can't speak on which one works the best, but i think this sounds about up your alley.

https://github.com/signal15/mp6z
https://github.com/jnewland/mpr-6zhmaut-api
https://github.com/tinystarship/home-audio-api
post #633 of 688 Old 08-01-2018, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,

Just finished installing my 2 Monoprice 6 zone Amp for a total of 12 zones and I only get sound out of my LEFT speakers on all my zones. Nothing from the RIGHT.Did I do something wrong during installation? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 688 Old 08-01-2018, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 95
If no right on all zones, then look at your source connections (does it happen with all sources?). Try swapping left and right to see if you can see where the signal gets lost.
post #635 of 688 Old 08-01-2018, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvala View Post
Hi guys,

Just finished installing my 2 Monoprice 6 zone Amp for a total of 12 zones and I only get sound out of my LEFT speakers on all my zones. Nothing from the RIGHT.Did I do something wrong during installation? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Isn’t there a small switch in the back at each zone output that switches to mono for bridging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #636 of 688 Old 08-07-2018, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just purchased 2 6 zone Monoprice units to run 10 channels and 11 total in ceiling speaker pairs. I really cannot decide what speakers to install. This is for new construction. All zones are mainly for background music. The speakers used for a a 7.2.2 basement install and a 5.1 family room install are all in wall/ceiling klipsch Reference series speakers - 8”.

I keep going back to the affordable $50-$100/pair 8” in ceiling speakers like Monoprice, OSD, Pyle, micca etc but I’m concerned I won’t be happy with the sound despite the good reviews. However, on the other end, I don’t want to spend $400/speaker like the klipsch speakers.

Any good recommendations on which direction to go?
post #637 of 688 Old 08-13-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wubears71 View Post
I just purchased 2 6 zone Monoprice units to run 10 channels and 11 total in ceiling speaker pairs. I really cannot decide what speakers to install. This is for new construction. All zones are mainly for background music. The speakers used for a a 7.2.2 basement install and a 5.1 family room install are all in wall/ceiling klipsch Reference series speakers - 8”.

I keep going back to the affordable $50-$100/pair 8” in ceiling speakers like Monoprice, OSD, Pyle, micca etc but I’m concerned I won’t be happy with the sound despite the good reviews. However, on the other end, I don’t want to spend $400/speaker like the klipsch speakers.

I've been happy with the dayton audio CS620C speakers
post #638 of 688 Old 08-13-2018, 10:40 PM

The android app i wrote now also officially supports the raspberry pi with a usb to rs232 cable. This can be used in place of the iTach flex which is twice the cost. It requires you run a python script on the raspberry pi which lets it accept connections which relay the commands to the amp. The details on on my github which you can find in the app store description.
post #639 of 688 Old 08-14-2018, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

If you'd rather stick with the Klipsch in-ceiling speakers but are just concerned about the price, they can be had for about half the cost of what you stated. I bought 8 of the PRO-180RPC from Abt for $217 each earlier this year.
post #640 of 688 Old 08-15-2018, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121940kz View Post
I've been happy with the dayton audio CS620C speakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by slizzap View Post
If you'd rather stick with the Klipsch in-ceiling speakers but are just concerned about the price, they can be had for about half the cost of what you stated. I bought 8 of the PRO-180RPC from Abt for $217 each earlier this year.
I ended up going with the Yamaha NS-IC800s.
post #641 of 688 Old 09-19-2018, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Howdy. Long time lurker, yet another person who was convinced to buy the Monoprice system largely because of this thread; thanks to all that have contributed.

I just started getting my system up, ran all the wires myself and started terminating some of the Cat6 so I could test it out. Out of the 6 controllers I could only get 2 or 3 to function. All of them light up (dim power button only), but I can only get a couple to actually turn on and trigger music. I can relocate the functioning controllers to other cables and it works, so I know it's the controllers and not the cables. I've read through a good portion of this thread and don't recall reading anything about similar issues - anyone else have an experience like this?
post #642 of 688 Old 09-19-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I keep going back to the affordable $50-$100/pair 8” in ceiling speakers like Monoprice, OSD, Pyle, micca etc but I’m concerned I won’t be happy with the sound despite the good reviews.

I just got my system started so I haven't had a lot of use with them. And sound quality is a very subjective topic, but I ended up going with the cheap Monoprice 8" (I think they're called Caliber?) but I also bought a bigger set of Alphas for the master bedroom. Honestly I think they're all find for background music, and I haven't even installed a sub yet for the main room. I have a great room which is pretty big, probably around 800-1000 sq ft of mostly open space with two "rooms" with vaulted ceilings. I have two speakers in each "room" on their own zone, and four speakers on a single zone in the main area, and it's plenty of coverage with good quality. Lacks a bit of low end, but that's to be expected and not really necessary for background music. I will be adding a sub though. I don't really hear much of a difference between the Caliber and Alpha.
post #643 of 688 Old 09-25-2018, 09:58 AM

Liked: 13
I am having some problems getting the iPhone app to work on the Monoprice 10761 6-zone amplifier. The amplifier works fine using the keypads and IR remote. (yes the switch is set to "Master")

I purchased an iTachFlexEthernet and the associated RS232 cable. I plugged the iTachFlex into my local area network and attached the RS232 cable to the iTach and the amplifier. DHCP assigned it an IP address of 192.168.1.200. Following the directions on the iTachFlex, I went out to Global Cache website to run iHelp to configure the iTachFlex.

Could not find the settings for the serial port, so I used the ones shown in the back of the manual for the amplifier:
Baud Rate 9600, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, non-parity and false for the gender changer.

Next I downloaded the Monoprice Whole Home Audio app from the Apple App Store. I went to the settings to change the "Server" to the iTachFlex IP address. Then I changed the names of several of the zones and sources.

The app doesn't seem to control the unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS.

BDP-83 EAP 300 Member
post #644 of 688 Old 09-25-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't checked, but does that app work with that switch?
We have noticed that every Monoprice switch we have tested / integrated with uses a different control protocol. So it wouldn't surprise me that their app doesn't control all of their switches.
post #645 of 688 Old 09-25-2018, 12:01 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
I haven't checked, but does that app work with that switch?
We have noticed that every Monoprice switch we have tested / integrated with uses a different control protocol. So it wouldn't surprise me that their app doesn't control all of their switches.
Thanks for the reply. There are 2 Monoprice Whole home audio control apps on the iPhone app store. One is called "Home Audio" by Tiny Starship which is free to download. The other is "Monoprice Whole Home Audio" developed by NT Mobile Innovation that charges $4.99.

I have tried both applications and neither works. I think the issue might be with the serial port settings on the iTach.

From my PC I enter the ip address for the iTach to get to the Flex Link Cable settings. iTach's website uses a light blue/dark blue color scheme. It is not clear that I am clicking on the correct settings (which color is "on").

If someone could send a picture or screen shot of the correct settings for the iTach it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BDP-83 EAP 300 Member
post #646 of 688 Old 09-27-2018, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvala View Post
Hi guys,

1. Switch the RCA left and right. meaning Red to White, and White to Red. Do you now lose audio on the other channel.

If so, swap out the RCA cable and see if that solves the issue. If it doesn't, its the source check the source (sonos unit, CD player, etc)
post #647 of 688 Old 10-10-2018, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just unpacked my amp, setup Chromecast audio. Plugged in the speakers and connected the Chromecast to the input. I do not hear any audio when casting and the front light remains blue for the zone I connected.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to use the remote to change something? Do I have to have keypads?
post #648 of 688 Old 10-10-2018, 10:54 PM

This is how I set it up: https://imgur.com/a/I49Oze7
post #649 of 688 Old 10-10-2018, 10:58 PM

I'm using ral C34E. Sorry for multiple posts doesn't seem like I can edit on mobile.
post #650 of 688 Old 10-15-2018, 04:26 PM

This appears to be the same person who posted the issue on Reddit, which was solved - he didn't have the controllers plugged in. So I'd consider this issue closed unless we hear otherwise.

Edit: can't link to Reddit thread, don't have enough posts.
post #651 of 688 Old 10-17-2018, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

Quick question. I've been interested in this amp or WHA in general after going to a few new Model homes in my area and was wondering if they use something similar? A few of the homes have ceiling speakers thru out the house with background music playing. Most have a small "wire /network closet" but i haven't been able to identify where the speakers are connected to or the source the music is playing thru them.

I am hoping to do something similar to my house.
post #652 of 688 Old 10-18-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicaDd View Post
...and was wondering if they use something similar?
Yes, likely it was something similar. Most likely all the speakers in the ceiling were wired to a multi-channel amp (or amps) and then there's some type of control center. The control center could be something as simple as an Echo Dot, a complex DIY solution like many have on here using a PC to control the system, or a commercial solution like Sonos. Or, if they're model homes, there might be a whole array of Sonos system, one for each zone. Lot of ways to skin a cat, but in general you need an amp or amp channel for each zone, and some sort of receiver/output/controller.
post #653 of 688 Old 10-23-2018, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Monoprice 6 Zone Amp IR control with Harmony Hub

I'm building a whole house audio distribution set up, thinking about using the Monoprice amp. Trying to figure out how to get smartthings to control the amp. I'm wondering if I set up smart things to control a harmony hub and let the harmony hub use an ir blaster to control the amp using IR commands if that will work? My idea would be to use smart things to tell the amp to turn on and off and set it to play a particular input to all the speakers. Will this work? Has anyone tried it?
post #654 of 688 Old 10-24-2018, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Any one please tell me whether this amp is comparable to the Russound MCA-C5 or CAA66 or CAM66 ? I am fine with 6 zones but interested to see how good is this in sound quality. I have Polk 60i speakers in all rooms of my home for music and I am going to integrate this with SmartThings for the control.

we can get this Monoprice controller new for ~$450 with sale and coupons., but Russound will be costly so if I want buy Russound I will buy a used one from ebay for around $500

please advice

Speakers: Fronts: GoldenEar Technology T2+, Center: SC XXL, SS&SB: Invisa MPX
Receiver: Denon AVR X4300H
Display: Epson 5040UB & 150-inch 16:9 Elite Screens Aeon CineGrey 3D with LED light kit

Last edited by Kumar106; 10-24-2018 at 09:21 PM.
post #655 of 688 Old 10-24-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelton View Post
I'm building a whole house audio distribution set up, thinking about using the Monoprice amp. Trying to figure out how to get smartthings to control the amp. I'm wondering if I set up smart things to control a harmony hub and let the harmony hub use an ir blaster to control the amp using IR commands if that will work? My idea would be to use smart things to tell the amp to turn on and off and set it to play a particular input to all the speakers. Will this work? Has anyone tried it?
please see below for SmartThings integration
https://community.smartthings.com/t/...egration/41203

Display: Epson 5040UB & 150-inch 16:9 Elite Screens Aeon CineGrey 3D with LED light kit
post #656 of 688 Old 10-25-2018, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar106 View Post
Any one please tell me whether this amp is comparable to the Russound MCA-C5 or CAA66 or CAM66 ? I am fine with 6 zones but interested to see how good is this in sound quality. I have Polk 60i speakers in all rooms of my home for music and I am going to integrate this with SmartThings for the control.

we can get this Monoprice controller new for ~$450 with sale and coupons., but Russound will be costly so if I want buy Russound I will buy a used one from ebay for around $500

please advice
that's like asking if your "Golden Ear Technology" speakers are comparable to Bose.
No, russound is a better box. More so from a likely reliability / longevity measure.
You get what you pay for.
Kumar106 likes this.
post #657 of 688 Old 10-25-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
that's like asking if your "Golden Ear Technology" speakers are comparable to Bose.
No, russound is a better box. More so from a likely reliability / longevity measure.
You get what you pay for.
I will say Golden ear is always better than Bose
just checking as some times cheaper is wont be bad.

post #658 of 688 Old 11-03-2018, 07:20 PM

Liked: 10
Quick question: Can someone please post a wiring diagram for a setup with two, three and 4 speakers to a zone on a monoprice 6 zone setup?

Am thinking I am going to need a couple of amps with a 12 volt trigger to set up correctly? Thoughts?

see my speaker set up below. This is my home being built now so, I wanted to run the speaker and wire early.

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	Monoprice 6 zone setup.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	2477724
post #659 of 688 Old 11-18-2018, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Exclamation Help!! Volume issues when bass drops

OK this is driving me nuts and I believe it is coming from my Monoprice 6 Zone Amp. It will start a song loud then turn down when the bass starts. Seems to do it worse with my digital audio input but I can still here it going louder durrig parst of the song with no bass.

Try it for yourself. This song has multiple parts that seem to turn up and down the volume. Alvaro Soler - La Cintura [Remix] ft. Flo Rida, TINI

It even does it at lower volumes.

Please someone tell me there is a work around.
post #660 of 688 Old 11-20-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmyskill View Post
Quick question: Can someone please post a wiring diagram for a setup with two, three and 4 speakers to a zone on a monoprice 6 zone setup?
If you're tackling this project yourself you should really know how to wire up two speakers in a zone. Positive to positive, negative to negative, for both right and left. Which is positive and which is negative is irrelevant, just make sure all the speakers in one area are hooked up the same.

Four speakers is simple if do them in parallel. Which is, essentially daisy chaining them. Connect one speaker as above, and run the positive and negative off that to the next speaker. Repeat for other channel. Keep in mind this will cut the impedance of the speakers in half, wiring them in series which will double it. If you have 8 ohm speakers the do them in parallel, if they're 4 ohm speakers than you should do them in series so you're at 8 ohms.

Three speakers? Why? Find a place to add a fourth, or eliminate one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmyskill View Post
Am thinking I am going to need a couple of amps with a 12 volt trigger to set up correctly? Thoughts?
I only see 6 zones in the diagram, so you should only need 1 amp. There's lots to do with a trigger, but more important, IMHO, is to run ethernet cable to every room with a zone. I think it's better to control via an app, but run the ethernet anyway. At bare minimum, you have extra ethernet to all rooms in case you need it for something else.

THe system has a master controller, connected to the amp by a single ethernet cable, and then all 6 controllers connect to that. You can either install the master near the amp, or if it makes sense for your house, somewhere central and then have all ethernet tie back to there.

Also, some people run their audio cable in a 4x14 to the same spot as the controller in each room and then to the speakers. Other systems have the controller directly control the speaker lines, so it's a way of making it backwards compatible if you change in the future. I didn't bother, but depending on your setup it might work.

Last edited by Here4MonoAmp; 11-26-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page