Any experience with the Monoprice 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller? - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #661 of 688 Old 01-18-2019, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have six whole house audio zones. Each zone has just speaker wire going to a volume control and then two speakers. I currently use an Audiosource Amp100 through an Audioplex impedance matching speaker selector to select which zones are on. I use a chromecast Audio as the source. I leave the amplifier on all the time and set to a fixed volume and control the volume through the Chromecast. The amplifier only draws 9 watts when idle. It has a feature where it will power on if music starts playing through on of the inputs but it tends to shut off in quiet passages so I do not use it. The system provides plenty of volume.

I would like to be able to select music separately for each zone and control remotely with my cellphone.

Possibilities are to get something like the Audiosource 1200VS amplifier and put a separate Chromecast Audio on each zone, or to get the Monoprice 6 zone system with the Itech serial-ethernet adapter. I currently have at least 5 chromecast audios and ordered some more so I should have enough even if the order does not come through. Before the Chromecast Audio I used regular Chromecasts with HDMI to audio adapters so I can always do that.

I would leave the system on all the time so that I can start playing music on the chromecast without having to power up the amplifier first through a separate app.

The two systems would cost a similar amount if I include the cost of the Itach.

If I just use Chromecasts then they are equivalent in function. The Monoprice system will allow more flexibility if I ever want to add more sources.

My questions are:
1. I have seen a few comments here and on Monoprice that when one zone is playing then music is faintly heard through some of the other zones. Is this really an issue? My family will not be happy if they hear anything upstairs when I am playing music downstairs. I know that zones can be shut off but they will never bother to do it. The audiosource 1200vs spec. is 70 dB channel separation. There is not spec. for the Monoprice system.

2. Is there any audible hiss when no music is playing? The amp100 that I have is listed as 100 dB SNR. The Monoprice system is listed as 85 dB SNR.

3. How much power does the amplifier draw when all channels are on but idle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 688 Old 01-28-2019, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw12 View Post
I have six whole house audio zones. Each zone has just speaker wire going to a volume control and then two speakers. I currently use an Audiosource Amp100 through an Audioplex impedance matching speaker selector to select which zones are on. I use a chromecast Audio as the source. I leave the amplifier on all the time and set to a fixed volume and control the volume through the Chromecast. The amplifier only draws 9 watts when idle. It has a feature where it will power on if music starts playing through on of the inputs but it tends to shut off in quiet passages so I do not use it. The system provides plenty of volume.

I would like to be able to select music separately for each zone and control remotely with my cellphone.

Possibilities are to get something like the Audiosource 1200VS amplifier and put a separate Chromecast Audio on each zone, or to get the Monoprice 6 zone system with the Itech serial-ethernet adapter. I currently have at least 5 chromecast audios and ordered some more so I should have enough even if the order does not come through. Before the Chromecast Audio I used regular Chromecasts with HDMI to audio adapters so I can always do that.

I would leave the system on all the time so that I can start playing music on the chromecast without having to power up the amplifier first through a separate app.

The two systems would cost a similar amount if I include the cost of the Itach.

If I just use Chromecasts then they are equivalent in function. The Monoprice system will allow more flexibility if I ever want to add more sources.

My questions are:
1. I have seen a few comments here and on Monoprice that when one zone is playing then music is faintly heard through some of the other zones. Is this really an issue? My family will not be happy if they hear anything upstairs when I am playing music downstairs. I know that zones can be shut off but they will never bother to do it. The audiosource 1200vs spec. is 70 dB channel separation. There is not spec. for the Monoprice system.

2. Is there any audible hiss when no music is playing? The amp100 that I have is listed as 100 dB SNR. The Monoprice system is listed as 85 dB SNR.

3. How much power does the amplifier draw when all channels are on but idle?
jsw12:

1 - I do hear this from time to time, but ever so faintly. I think it is possibly some cross talk in my cables? It's not enough of a bother to stop me from installing it in multiple other houses. (Often to hear it you would need to stand on a stool and put your ear near the speaker in question)

2 - I don't notice any when using a proper source such as my chromecast plugged directly into an input. I DO notice a bit of a humm while using my audio over Cat6 box. (I blame this on the transmission and cross-talk, not the amp. )

3. This is don't have a clue on. I just leave my amp on 24/7. (There is no way to remotely turn it off, it's a physical button depressing)

I think the bigger issue here that you mention....You need your speaker wires to terminate in a central location to use this amp - you have the speakers terminating at each keypad. I used to have a system like that where the keypad was the amp....however this is not going to work in that scenario for you.
post #663 of 688 Old 03-13-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottphillips88 View Post
3. This is don't have a clue on. I just leave my amp on 24/7. (There is no way to remotely turn it off, it's a physical button depressing)
Here is what I do so that I don't leave my amp on 24/7. I have a PC which is dedicated as a audio source (eg for use by Spotify). the PC is also used to run the Monoamp server code. It is in the same physical location as the Monoprice amplifier. The PC is plugged into the master outlet of a "Smart" (ie green) power bar. The amp is plugged into one of the slave outlets. The PC is started up by a WOL network Message. When not needed it is shutdown remotely. Starting the PC also powers on the Monoprice amplifier. Shutting down the PC powers down the amplifier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 688 Old 06-21-2019, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5
All: I am late to this thread for sure but I finally took some time to write-up my experience with the amp/controller. I really like it and it's been working well in my residence for two years now. I have two of them linked to each other to create 12 zones. I control it remotely with a Raspberry Pi as well. It is connected to the DB9 serial port and I'll write-up how I do that soon.

Here is my write-up: chrisschuld.com/2019/05/whole-house-audio/
post #665 of 688 Old 06-25-2019, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbschuld View Post
All: I am late to this thread for sure but I finally took some time to write-up my experience with the amp/controller. I really like it and it's been working well in my residence for two years now. I have two of them linked to each other to create 12 zones. I control it remotely with a Raspberry Pi as well. It is connected to the DB9 serial port and I'll write-up how I do that soon.

Love the write up. Thanks. Would also like to learn more about the Ras Pi interface. There is no text or link after ....You can read more about the decoration here:

Thanks for sharing.
post #666 of 688 Old 07-07-2019, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Hales View Post
OK this is driving me nuts and I believe it is coming from my Monoprice 6 Zone Amp. It will start a song loud then turn down when the bass starts. Seems to do it worse with my digital audio input but I can still here it going louder durrig parst of the song with no bass.

Try it for yourself. This song has multiple parts that seem to turn up and down the volume. Alvaro Soler - La Cintura [Remix] ft. Flo Rida, TINI

It even does it at lower volumes.

Please someone tell me there is a work around.
I've noticed the same thing. Did you ever get any feedback on this? Or were you able to find a solution? Whenever I get some free time the next step for me would be to try to bridge one of the zones and hook up a single speaker and see if I still hear a drop off during heavier bass. My thought is this amp is a little underpowered for my speakers, since I'm using Klipsch that are 50W RMS @ 8 ohm and the amp is rated at 25W RMS per channel.
post #667 of 688 Old 07-31-2019, 11:49 AM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
Love the write up. Thanks. Would also like to learn more about the Ras Pi interface. There is no text or link after ....You can read more about the decoration here:

Thanks for sharing.
@FlyOnTheWall - thanks, here's the write-up on how I decorate in front of it - chrisschuld.com/2019/07/decorating-the-monoprice-6-zone-home-audio-multizone-controller/

I am working on writing up and open sourcing my app to control it via my iPhone using that decoration/API
digitrip and scottphillips88 like this.
post #668 of 688 Old 08-14-2019, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi,

I literally read this entire thread, through the years :-) Took me some time.

I am about to buy the DAX66 (the model number for Dayton Audio) and I wanted the thank you all for the information spread here.
post #669 of 688 Old 08-14-2019, 10:24 AM

Liked: 10
FYI, for those that want to use the Monoprice Whole Home Audio (or other controllers) but don't have an IP2SL hardware device, the Virtual IP2SL tool might be useful. It can run on RaspberryPi, but also any other hosts which can run Docker and provides an IP2SL interface to any serial connected device to the host.

https://github.com/rsnodgrass/virtual-ip2sl

PS, here was the iOS app I mentioned. I don't actually have that app as it recently went up in price (I think it was $4.99).

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/monopr...o/id1168858624

Last edited by rsnodgrass; 08-14-2019 at 10:35 AM.
post #670 of 688 Old 08-14-2019, 10:30 AM

Fantastic thread!

Does anyone have a keypad from their Monoprice that they won't be using? I'd like to buy one, but can't find where to buy a single keypad.

I'm working on an improved Home Assistant controller for the Monoprice/Dayton/Xantech amps, but haven't had much time lately to move that forward.

Home Theater 1: Marantz SR8012, Xantech MRC88, 2x Marantz MA500 (surrounds), Linn Majik Aktive amps, Linn AV5140 Aktiv (fronts), Linn 5120 Aktiv (center), Linn Tukan (surrounds), Linn 5120 (rear)

Home Theater 2: Anthem D2, 2x Xantech MRAUDIO8x8
post #671 of 688 Old 08-14-2019, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just finding this thread and interested in buying this, but have probably a simple confirmation question on speaker wiring. The house when built 15 years ago was prewired for volume control and speakers from a Channel Vision C-1001 speaker distribution unit in my central structured wiring panel.

The pre-wiring did not include home runs from the panel directly to the speakers. Instead the C-1001 has 4 16 gauge wires that go to a simple volume control wall plate in the room and then from the that wall plate to the speakers.

I am assuming I can attach the wires going into the C-1001 unit at the panel to the Monoprice speaker outputs on one end. Then remove the volume control wall plate in each room and connect the incoming wires to the speaker runs that previously came from the volume wall plate and essentially build a home run with those wires.

Does that make sense instead of pulling new home runs from the panel to each room?

I still need to work on the ethernet to each room as the volume wall plates did not have an ethernet run to them. Most of the rooms have an ethernet run from the panel nearby that I should be able to run to the Monoprice wall plate with minimal wall damage.

Thanks,
Marty
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CV C1001 diagram.pdf (64.5 KB, 18 views)
post #672 of 688 Old 08-16-2019, 03:13 AM

Mine is ordered.

I've centralized every project related to the control of this beast via RS232 :

github.com/121940kz/Monoprice-Whole-Home-Audio-Android-App-Raspberry-Pi-Server
github.com/ajostler/MonopriceWHA
github.com/signal15/mp6z
github.com/jnewland/mpr-6zhmaut-api
github.com/tinystarship/home-audio-api
home-assistant.io/components/monoprice

[Sorry I cannot add true links because I too new here]

Would someone give me the latest link to Mike's MonoAmp to add ?

Hope it helps !
scottphillips88 likes this.
post #673 of 688 Old 09-02-2019, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurels_ View Post

Would someone give me the latest link to Mike's MonoAmp to add ?
Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i61qluqxhy...AmpV4.zip?dl=0
post #674 of 688 Old 09-02-2019, 07:45 AM

Thanks @arcomax .

Here is the updated list then :

dropbox.com/s/i61qluqxhy6mu7t/MonoAmpV4.zip?dl=0
github.com/121940kz/Monoprice-Whole-Home-Audio-Android-App-Raspberry-Pi-Server
github.com/ajostler/MonopriceWHA
github.com/signal15/mp6z
github.com/jnewland/mpr-6zhmaut-api
github.com/tinystarship/home-audio-api
home-assistant.io/components/monoprice
post #675 of 688 Old 09-04-2019, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnodgrass View Post

I'm working on an improved Home Assistant controller for the Monoprice/Dayton/Xantech amps, but haven't had much time lately to move that forward.
I'd be awfully interested in helping you find some spare time. What do you need me to do to free up some hours
post #676 of 688 Old 09-04-2019, 11:34 PM

Steve...working on it!

What devices are you trying to support? What feature is most important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I'd be awfully interested in helping you find some spare time. What do you need me to do to free up some hours
post #677 of 688 Old 09-06-2019, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnodgrass View Post
Steve...working on it!

What devices are you trying to support? What feature is most important?
Probably the Monoprice controller. As for feature that's most important... I'm not sure if it is directly related to HomeAssistant, but voice control of the system (maybe with Alexa?) is something I'd really like to do.
post #678 of 688 Old 09-30-2019, 05:22 PM

Hello, I've recently purchased this Monoprice 10761 and am having trouble setting up the PA IN trigger. My setup is this, Echo dot connected to source 1, source 2 and 3 are separate audio stream from 2 different TV streams, and 4,5, and 6 are Airport Expresses being setup as "Airport 2 devices". I know once PA IN is triggered it will take my audio stream from the Echo Dot if it is streaming and broadcast it other zones. I'm having trouble figuring out the trigger for the PA In, is there fairly something cheap that can be setup to be activated by sound stream? I've attempted to have one of the Airport 2 connect to PA IN and when I stream something it doesn't get triggered, probably due to missing 12vdc to trigger. Any suggestions/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
post #679 of 688 Old 10-02-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unodish View Post
Hello, I've recently purchased this Monoprice 10761 and am having trouble setting up the PA IN trigger. My setup is this, Echo dot connected to source 1, source 2 and 3 are separate audio stream from 2 different TV streams, and 4,5, and 6 are Airport Expresses being setup as "Airport 2 devices". I know once PA IN is triggered it will take my audio stream from the Echo Dot if it is streaming and broadcast it other zones. I'm having trouble figuring out the trigger for the PA In, is there fairly something cheap that can be setup to be activated by sound stream? I've attempted to have one of the Airport 2 connect to PA IN and when I stream something it doesn't get triggered, probably due to missing 12vdc to trigger. Any suggestions/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
RDL makes some audio controlled relays that you may want to consider...
https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/019...hoCjNMQAvD_BwE

There are also some forums which talk about making your own.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #680 of 688 Old 10-09-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:

Great write up. Thank you for posting. I'm enjoying your blog.
post #681 of 688 Old 11-18-2019, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
does anyone know if the Monoamp source code ever got published anywhere? I tried to PM Mike but it looks like like his last activity was in 5/2019.

Thanks!
post #682 of 688 Old 11-23-2019, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
@swapped ,

Sorry for the lag, I do check in from time to time but anyone can reach out to me at my mpisano1 aol address...

I have thought about open sourcing this project, if anybody would like it let me know.... I am in the middle of adding IP support for iTach and other serial to IP converters and should have a stable version soon

let me know
Kind Regards,
Mike Pisano
post #683 of 688 Old 11-23-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpisano View Post
@swapped ,

Sorry for the lag, I do check in from time to time but anyone can reach out to me at my mpisano1 aol address...

I have thought about open sourcing this project, if anybody would like it let me know.... I am in the middle of adding IP support for iTach and other serial to IP converters and should have a stable version soon

let me know
Kind Regards,
Mike Pisano
Good to hear from you Mike. The wife and I still use your Monoamp numerous times every single day. Look forward to future enhancements.
mpisano likes this.
post #684 of 688 Old 11-23-2019, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottphillips88 View Post
Good to hear from you Mike. The wife and I still use your Monoamp numerous times every single day. Look forward to future enhancements.
Hey Scott, (et al)

Glad to hear and great videos and walkthroughs of your installations over the years.

This was the kind of project I started writing for my own need, and decided to share - glad others enjoy it.

The family and I use it regularly too, and homeseer has been turning on the bedroom zones at 7:30am daily for years now.
Homeseer really helped us too for Alexa being able to have the wife verbally control the Kitchen and other zones.

The true value is this Monoprice unit that has worked flawlessly and is build solid!

As I said, Homeseer has been great, but others HA systems are available and on the horizon. I'm not sure how many coders are out there and dont mind sharing the project - Obviously this was never about profit. I will open source this in the new year, and as always I would love to help and know any features people would like or need...

Kind Regards,
Mike Pisano
digitrip likes this.
post #685 of 688 Old 11-28-2019, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
@FlyOnTheWall - thanks, here's the write-up on how I decorate in front of it - chrisschuld.com/2019/07/decorating-the-monoprice-6-zone-home-audio-multizone-controller/

I am working on writing up and open sourcing my app to control it via my iPhone using that decoration/API
Hi Chris,

I'm thinking of setting up a RaspberryPi with your method. Before I buy the RPi, I wanted to set this up on an old laptop running the desktop version of Raspian. I attempted it, but ran into issues with the npm build script. Any ideas if that would be related to the version of Raspian I'm on, or if I just need to be on a true RPi to use your code?

Thanks!
post #686 of 688 Old 11-28-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitrip View Post
I attempted it, but ran into issues with the npm build script. Any ideas if that would be related to the version of Raspian I'm on, or if I just need to be on a true RPi to use your code?
You had issues with the build of the web interface or with the build of the other API project ? If you have more details on the error, I might be able to help you, I'm using these too ;-)
post #687 of 688 Old 12-02-2019, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurels_ View Post
You had issues with the build of the web interface or with the build of the other API project ? If you have more details on the error, I might be able to help you, I'm using these too ;-)
Thanks! I'm getting an error when running the npm run-script build from his instructions:

[email protected]:~/projects/monoprice-multizone-interface $ npm run-script build

> [email protected] build /home/pi/projects/monoprice-multizone-interface
> react-scripts build

sh: 1: react-scripts: not found
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! syscall spawn
npm ERR! file sh
npm ERR! errno ENOENT
npm ERR! [email protected] build: `react-scripts build`
npm ERR! spawn ENOENT
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the [email protected] build script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! /home/pi/.npm/_logs/2019-12-02T15_07_36_883Z-debug.log
[email protected]:~/projects/monoprice-multizone-interface $
post #688 of 688 Old 12-02-2019, 08:22 AM

Did you run `npm i` prior to that ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution