Any experience with the Monoprice 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller? - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #691 of 715 Old 02-05-2020, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
This is what I was talking about, thank you !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 715 Old 02-05-2020, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Russound makes one as well, but I don't know the model/part number off the top of my head.
post #693 of 715 Old 02-10-2020, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just added 2 HEOS Links to my Monoprice system this weekend. I was able to connect to my Music on my NAS and integrate it with my Amazon Echo/Dots. Is anyone else using a HEOS Link?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 715 Old 02-10-2020, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstonk View Post
Just added 2 HEOS Links to my Monoprice system this weekend. I was able to connect to my Music on my NAS and integrate it with my Amazon Echo/Dots. Is anyone else using a HEOS Link?
I had to google what the HEOS is (and I own 2 Denon amps already) What is the benefit of this $349 device over a $35 chromecast?
post #695 of 715 Old 02-10-2020, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The HEOS Link in similar to a Sonos Connect, gives access to all the Music streams along with local media from one application. Comparing it to the Chromecast, the streams are ran on device, not my phone or tablet and ability to use voice command on my Amazon Echo/Dots. I picked both of them up for $150, which was hard to pass up.
scottphillips88 likes this.
post #696 of 715 Old 02-10-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstonk View Post
The HEOS Link in similar to a Sonos Connect, gives access to all the Music streams along with local media from one application. Comparing it to the Chromecast, the streams are ran on device, not my phone or tablet and ability to use voice command on my Amazon Echo/Dots. I picked both of them up for $150, which was hard to pass up.
Got it - still think a Chromecast + free plex server would be best for local audio. We generally use Spotify or Pandora the most. It too is wireless and the moment you send data to it, your phone is no longer needed. A common misconception.... Unfortunately I'm not the only one that loves chromecast devices. Since they discontinued the Audio only chromecast (with 3.5mm perfect for this amp, prices have shot to over $100 on ebay)

However, you can easily get a standard chromecast and pair it with an HDMI to audio out device.

The voice commands are also built into the google ecosystem and I will often say "Hey Google play Pandora on Six" (Six is what I named the chromecast on source 6.
johnstonk likes this.
post #697 of 715 Old 02-10-2020, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sup guys i am looking to buy this amp however i havent found any deals on in since the last 4 months now ....

anyone knows when is a good time or place tu buy this amps?
post #698 of 715 Old 02-11-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shremi View Post
Sup guys i am looking to buy this amp however i havent found any deals on in since the last 4 months now ....

In which part of the world ? :-)
post #699 of 715 Old 02-11-2020, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurels_ View Post
In which part of the world ? :-)
US
post #700 of 715 Old 02-11-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
US
Sorry, I can't help you then ;-)
post #701 of 715 Old 02-12-2020, 06:18 AM

I'll be adding two zones in a few days. These two zones are next to each other and so their keypads will be a few centimeters appart (on each face of the same wall).

It may be stupid but I was wondering if it'd be possible to use only one ethernet cable and setup these two keypads in parallel. Each keypad controlling its own zone.
I think I've read that in the hub on the other side it's just a parallel connection between all cables. But I'm afraid I may break something.

Thanks for any advice !
post #702 of 715 Old 02-12-2020, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 46
It will probably work fine for the monoprice system since as you say the keypad wires are all in parallel once they reach the hub. But as a former monoprice wha user, I would just go ahead and run the second Cat 5 cable just to keep the wiring standard. The day might come that you decide to upgrade to something else and then you will likely need that extra wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurels_ View Post
I'll be adding two zones in a few days. These two zones are next to each other and so their keypads will be a few centimeters appart (on each face of the same wall).

It may be stupid but I was wondering if it'd be possible to use only one ethernet cable and setup these two keypads in parallel. Each keypad controlling its own zone.
I think I've read that in the hub on the other side it's just a parallel connection between all cables. But I'm afraid I may break something.

Thanks for any advice !
post #703 of 715 Old 02-12-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWarlock View Post
It will probably work fine for the monoprice system since as you say the keypad wires are all in parallel once they reach the hub. But as a former monoprice wha user, I would just go ahead and run the second Cat 5 cable just to keep the wiring standard. The day might come that you decide to upgrade to something else and then you will likely need that extra wire.
X2 - I would always run a home line to each keypad for many reasons. Cable is very cheap.
post #704 of 715 Old 02-12-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
US

I buy a lot from Monoprice (or used to) Seems like their pricing has gone through the roof on everything. Assume maybe the tariffs? I haven't even received a 25% off coupon for 6 months. Used to have some great offer every single month. Black Friday they finally had free shipping on their 8" ceiling speakers and I stocked up --- but still waiting for another WHA deal.
post #705 of 715 Old 02-12-2020, 01:42 PM

Yeah I think I got my second of a pair of MP WHA amps from them sometime in mid to late 2015 for a sale price of $399. I just checked the price now and ouch, $668 is a lot for this unit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottphillips88 View Post
I buy a lot from Monoprice (or used to) Seems like their pricing has gone through the roof on everything. Assume maybe the tariffs? I haven't even received a 25% off coupon for 6 months. Used to have some great offer every single month. Black Friday they finally had free shipping on their 8" ceiling speakers and I stocked up --- but still waiting for another WHA deal.
post #706 of 715 Old 02-13-2020, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWarlock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottphillips88 View Post
X2 - I would always run a home line to each keypad for many reasons. Cable is very cheap.
Ok thanks ! You are right, I'll run two cat6 for future-proofness ;-)
post #707 of 715 Old 03-22-2020, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi guys, need some help. I have two 6 zone Monoprice systems in my house. one works perfect but I cant say the same about the second one. It powers up and and powers up all 6 keypads but when I go to turn on the system from the keypads it does NOTHING. My keypads stay on the standby mode. Any ideas why that is happening??? thanks in advanse
post #708 of 715 Old 03-27-2020, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Amp fried

Good afternoon everyone. I hope this finds everyone in good health in this crazy times we are going through.
I hope you can help me find what happened.
I purchased the Monoprice 6zone 6source amp Wired everything up and for 2 days it worked great. Today I heard a humming sound and smoke coming from the amp. Minutes later I hear a loud pop. Now I understand that the pop is most likely a blown capacitor. But what could have caused this ? Could it be just a defective unit ?
Thank you all.
post #709 of 715 Old 03-27-2020, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandro cunha View Post
Good afternoon everyone. I hope this finds everyone in good health in this crazy times we are going through.
I hope you can help me find what happened.
I purchased the Monoprice 6zone 6source amp Wired everything up and for 2 days it worked great. Today I heard a humming sound and smoke coming from the amp. Minutes later I hear a loud pop. Now I understand that the pop is most likely a blown capacitor. But what could have caused this ? Could it be just a defective unit ?
Thank you all.
If you have the speakers wired properly with total ohm in mind, then yup, sounds like monoprice quality ooops.
post #710 of 715 Old 04-12-2020, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Glad to find this thread & I am enjoying my 10761.

Is there a HTTP code i can send to the Iflex device IP to send a command?

Such as:

Enable Source 1 (on command)

Disable Source 1 (off command)

Enable Speaker/Output 1 (on command)
Disable Speaker/Output 1 (off command)

I have the android app but would be great to have it work with Alexa too.

Is it possible to do via a HTTP link? http://192.168.1.25/source1on/

Thanks,
Rich
post #711 of 715 Old 04-14-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
Glad to find this thread & I am enjoying my 10761.

Is there a HTTP code i can send to the Iflex device IP to send a command?
I believe this is what you want:
https://github.com/jnewland/mpr-6zhmaut-api

You can run it on a raspberry pi with a usb to serial adapter connected to the 10761. The program hosts an http/json api that translates the commands and sends them to the 10761. You can then use http requests similar to your examples to control the amp's functions.

My semi-dedicated theater: The EXASCALE CINEMA
post #712 of 715 Old 04-21-2020, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wink

Quote:

Hello there I have been also looking at the monoprice amp and I noticed 2 different models and different prices - the 10761 for $668.99 which comes with the 6 zone controller for each zone and the 31028 without the controllers, can some one tell me if the actual amps would work the same or are there any limitations on the 31028
thanks and great forum!!
post #713 of 715 Old 04-21-2020, 07:54 PM

The 31028 is probably not what you want. It is dramatically different even though it looks the same as the 10761. The main differences besides not having the keypads are twofold. First the inputs, it only really has two. It has one 'global' input and each zone has its own discreet zone input. So you can only switch back and forth between those two inputs on each zone. And secondly, in addition to standard 8 ohm stereo speaker outputs, it also supports 70v speaker outputs. Those are used when several speakers are wired together in parallel (think of an office building with muzak in that hallways and a speaker on the ceiling about every 10 feet). You are probably not going to do that arrangement in a home environment. The only exception to that might be if you want to put a bunch of speakers around your pool, the 70v arrangement is good for that.
FlyOnTheWall likes this.

My semi-dedicated theater: The EXASCALE CINEMA
post #714 of 715 Old 04-26-2020, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Depending on how you are going to control the Monoprice, there are other options. For instance, buying a used Xantech 6-zone amp on eBay. A much higher quality amp, and there is now a HASS integration for controlling via Home Assistant. Monoprice seems to have copied all their RS232 APIs from Xantech (with some changes). Xantech Python API also exists.

The models to consider are Xantech MX88 / MX88ai / MRC88 / MRAUDIO8X8. However, keypads are rare, but outdated anyway. Some have 8-zones of amplifier, some just have 6-zones of amplification plus 2 additional zones of pre-amp out. The 4-zone Xantechs aren't supported yet by the above integrations/libraries.

Also, there aren't any iOS/Android controllers that work with the Xantechs that I know of (would be fairly easy for Monoprice app developers to add support, the protocol is nearly the same with some minor tweaks). Control4, Crestron, etc all support this of course (and their apps).

Theater 1: Marantz AV8805, Xantech MRC88, Linn C6100 + Aktiv 5140 (fronts), Linn Majik 2100 + Aktiv 5120 (center), Marantz MA500 + LINN 5120 (rear), MA-500 + Linn Tukans (surrounds), APC H15, PS Audio Power Director, SONOS, Fire TV, Samsung 78"4K TV
Theater 2: Anthem D2v 3D (with ARC), Marantz MA-500 (five), Xantech MX88ai + MRAUDIO8x8, XBOX One, SONOS, Fire TV, Optima HD 1080p projector, 120" screen

Last edited by rsnodgrass; 04-26-2020 at 11:23 PM.
post #715 of 715 Old 04-28-2020, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone interested in a like-new setup? I had intended on using it when I built my house 4 years ago. I mounted all the wall plates but never got around to connecting everything. Amp and wall plates are all in excellent condition. I realize this isn't the for sale thread so I'll post a more detailed post there.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page