Any experience with the Monoprice 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller? - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

post #121 of 706 Old 08-07-2015, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post
IR works over the catX from the keypad to the unit. If the keypad is not line of site from where you are operating the remote, you can hook up an external IR receiver to the keypad. Sorry I wasn't clear.

I ran wire from the keypad location to the TV location since people always point the remote at the TV regardless of what you are trying to control. The plan is to have a mini IR receiver stuck to the TV which will route through the keypad.

Tim
Aha. Another excellent idea. I like the idea of having one on the TV. I'll add it to the list! Now is the time to run cable. My sheetrock guys are going to die when they see what I have done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 706 Old 08-08-2015, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Yep, you can either run a cat cable for the IR extension, or a pre-made 3.5mm male to female cable, for more of a plug and play. I have 50' and 75' cables from monoprice and they work great. I've done it both ways, either way works.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

My Area: Samsung 75" Q9FN / Marantz NR1608 / Polk Signature S55 / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro | Living Room: Samsung UN55LS03N ("The Frame" 2018) | Family Room: Sony XBR-65X850E
Nuvo Player Portfolio Whole-Home Audio System (P4300, P200, P10 keypad, P30 tablet)
Xbox Live: oktober rust | PSN: oktoberrust11
post #123 of 706 Old 08-10-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
It seems like I get about 800 Monoprice emails a week. But I feel like it is on them every week or so.

I'd wait another week or so if you can.
Not even a week..looks like it's back on sale for $525..

Quote:
*Price After Promo Code AUG10

My Area: Samsung 75" Q9FN / Marantz NR1608 / Polk Signature S55 / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro | Living Room: Samsung UN55LS03N ("The Frame" 2018) | Family Room: Sony XBR-65X850E
Nuvo Player Portfolio Whole-Home Audio System (P4300, P200, P10 keypad, P30 tablet)
Xbox Live: oktober rust | PSN: oktoberrust11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 706 Old 08-10-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post
Came here to post this!
post #125 of 706 Old 08-10-2015, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
It seems like I get about 800 Monoprice emails a week. But I feel like it is on them every week or so.

I'd wait another week or so if you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post
Ahhhh patience young grasshopper, it wasn't easy is all I can say! $ 6 zone multizone controller is purchased ($509 with sale price, 10% discount, free shipping and a credit I had on my account)! I also got some speakers and a volume control(had to pay discounted shipping rate for these). Hopefully I'll be able to create sub zones with the volume controls. I'm in TN so will probably be the full 5 days shipping before it gets here but I can't wait. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap reliable crimping tool so that I can order and have it here as well?

Thanks

Last edited by XclusiveTN; 08-10-2015 at 11:54 AM.
post #126 of 706 Old 08-10-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XclusiveTN View Post
Ahhhh patience young grasshopper, it wasn't easy is all I can say! $ 6 zone multizone controller is purchased ($509 with sale price, 10% discount, free shipping and a credit I had on my account)! I also got some speakers and a volume control(had to pay discounted shipping rate for these). Hopefully I'll be able to create sub zones with the volume controls. I'm in TN so will probably be the full 5 days shipping before it gets here but I can't wait. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap reliable crimping tool so that I can order and have it here as well?

Thanks

Keep us updated on the install. Good luck!
post #127 of 706 Old 08-17-2015, 02:34 PM

I used to wonder why people would get their unit and it be awhile before they actually hook it up. Ok I got mines on Friday and now I understand. All I my wires were buried behind drywall and none I the ceilin speakers have been installed yet so it will take me awhile as well.

"Reading is fundamental!" I figured I would go ahead and terminate all of my cat5e cables before I opened the instructions. I pulled up a website and got them all terminated. Hooked up the keypads and they would only light up but nothing else. After reading the directions, the cat5e wire configuration was different than what i did so I had to terminate them again. My first time doing cat5e so getting more practice than I wanted . Rewiree the 1at keypad and now everything is showin up and it's working correctly! I'll update as I go along. My main goal is to see if I can create sub zones with this system. If I can then I will keep it. If not then I'm going to return it and save up a little more and get the HTD mid level system.
post #128 of 706 Old 08-18-2015, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Anyone know if there are there any home automation drivers for this? HAI or Elk or CQC?
post #129 of 706 Old 08-24-2015, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know if this wireless rs-232 controller would work with this amp?

Is it possible that the HTD WGW-SL1 wireless controller could work for the mono-price 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller and Amplifier Kit?
post #130 of 706 Old 08-25-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Klefsaas View Post
Is it possible that the HTD WGW-SL1 wireless controller could work for the mono-price 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller and Amplifier Kit?
No, it will not.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #131 of 706 Old 08-25-2015, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ive been exploring a few different remote options for this device. Currently I have an iOS app that i created to communicate to my server, which is connected via RS-232 to the 10761.

Works great, but looking for a more integrated experience with all my tasks under 1 app. In comes the Harmony Home Hub. I dont think this will work, but i was thinking about getting a 7 gang outlet box and putting all the keypads and splitter into that and would be within the IR blaster for the Home Hub. Are there discrete IR codes for each of the 6 zones? Or when i send an IR command for volume up, all 6 keypads will do a volume up? Because the remote it came with does not specify a zone, i point it at a specific keypad and it doesnt whatever was sent.

Ideas?
post #132 of 706 Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wondering if someone can help as I'm pulling my hair out. I received my Monoprice 6 Zone amp a few days ago and for the life of me I can't get a response out of the rs232.

I've tried 3 different PCs, Windows 7 (putty), Mac (Screen) and Rapberry Pi (Screen) and get the same results. I seem to connect ok, but whenever I type a command I only get "#" in reply. Commands I'm trying are "??10", "??11", "?10PR", "<10PR01", "<11PR01".

The board rate is 9600. I'm not really sure if I'm meant to add anything to the end regarding a caridge return 'CR'

Any idea?

Thanks in advance
post #133 of 706 Old 08-27-2015, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwijibo007 View Post
Wondering if someone can help as I'm pulling my hair out. I received my Monoprice 6 Zone amp a few days ago and for the life of me I can't get a response out of the rs232.

I've tried 3 different PCs, Windows 7 (putty), Mac (Screen) and Rapberry Pi (Screen) and get the same results. I seem to connect ok, but whenever I type a command I only get "#" in reply. Commands I'm trying are "??10", "??11", "?10PR", "<10PR01", "<11PR01".

The board rate is 9600. I'm not really sure if I'm meant to add anything to the end regarding a caridge return 'CR'

Any idea?

Thanks in advance
OMG. Figured it out. I didn't have the unit set to master on the back. It came (or I knocked it) set to slave... There's about 8 hours of my life I'll never get back.

At least now I know the commands off by heart!
post #134 of 706 Old 08-29-2015, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone from Canada order this unit? If so how much was the duty and shipping?

Or is there a better choice for us?
post #135 of 706 Old 08-29-2015, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydub View Post
Anyone from Canada order this unit? If so how much was the duty and shipping?

Or is there a better choice for us?
I am in the Montreal area and I ordered it. I had it shipped just across the border to a place called Pinnacle Parcels just across from Sutton in the Eastern Townships. When bringing the unit into Canada, I had to pay the provincial and federal tax, but that's all, no duty. Shipping from Monoprice to upstate Vermont was free.

I LOVE the unit, it's so easy to setup and to use. I have a Sonos Connect as my one and only input now.

I am hoping to find an easy way to integrate the RS232 control with an Android app to be able to control it from my phone, but I placed the keypads around the house so that anyone can use the audio. It's great!
post #136 of 706 Old 08-31-2015, 12:28 AM

Finally getting this thing setup and have a few quick questions on airport express. I sure they are stupid questions but I just dont have a full understanding of how this works.

1. If I want to use an apple airport express, is it considered one input device I can share across all zones or is it set up on 1 zone and if I want it to play across all zones I have to buy 6 airport express?

2. I already have my network setup in house and will be using this strictly for music. Does it matter if I purchase the most recent airport express http://www.amazon.com/Apple-AirPort-...irport+express or can I purchase the older model http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Airport-...irport+express ?

3. Does it matter if I purchase an older macbook mini or a pc laptop to act as a music server? Looking for something cheap that would be dedicated to that function and that would be on all of the time? I have the keypads installed but would like to be able to control from ipod touches or phones as well.

4. I know I will be able to stream music from my Itunes account but can I also do internet radio as well or if not what else will I need for this?

5. Any advantage to getting apple tv instead?

Thanks!
post #137 of 706 Old 08-31-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
1. If I want to use an apple airport express, is it considered one input device I can share across all zones or is it set up on 1 zone and if I want it to play across all zones I have to buy 6 airport express?
Each source is available to any combination of zones. The WHA system is an "audio matrix" in that regard. Airport Express no different than any other source device you'd attach.

Quote:
2. I already have my network setup in house and will be using this strictly for music. Does it matter if I purchase the most recent airport express http://www.amazon.com/Apple-AirPort-...irport+express or can I purchase the older model http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Airport-...irport+express ?
No difference for audio output functionality, but...

Quote:
3. Does it matter if I purchase an older macbook mini or a pc laptop to act as a music server? Looking for something cheap that would be dedicated to that function and that would be on all of the time? I have the keypads installed but would like to be able to control from ipod touches or phones as well.

4. I know I will be able to stream music from my Itunes account but can I also do internet radio as well or if not what else will I need for this?

5. Any advantage to getting apple tv instead?
If you don't any of that gear, save yourself a lot of hassle and just buy a Sonos Connect unit to attach to the system. And if you need network storage, something easy/cheap like the WD MyCloud NAS. You'll get everything you can do with an AE + NAS without the limitations of AirPlay.

Jeff
Mr.Tim likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #138 of 706 Old 09-01-2015, 04:05 AM

I looked at SONOS and it looks to be a great system. In my case since I have keypads and speakers wired, seems to be an expensive solution for what I need. Are there anymore options that I could use which would be cheaper. I don't have a large library on I-tunes and I would say I would like to stream internet music mostly.

Thanks!
post #139 of 706 Old 09-01-2015, 07:42 AM

I was wondering if someone could help with the RS232 format. I am trying to create a crestron module and cant make heads or tails of the syntax. Any help would be much appreciated.
post #140 of 706 Old 09-01-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I looked at SONOS and it looks to be a great system. In my case since I have keypads and speakers wired, seems to be an expensive solution for what I need. Are there anymore options that I could use which would be cheaper. I don't have a large library on I-tunes and I would say I would like to stream internet music mostly.
Look again. You should look at the Sonos Connect unit (not the wireless speakers), which you would use as a source on the Monoprice system. Works with that system and the keypads, etc., but provides all the streaming/digital services you could ask for... And it's a lot easier to operate for streaming services than an AirportExpress / iPod / Airplay solution.

post #141 of 706 Old 09-03-2015, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
good thread. been looking at relocating and building a new house sound system.
found the mp 6 zone amp, the price looked too good, so i googled it, search came back to avsforum.
go figure

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #142 of 706 Old 09-04-2015, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Look again. You should look at the Sonos Connect unit (not the wireless speakers), which you would use as a source on the Monoprice system. Works with that system and the keypads, etc., but provides all the streaming/digital services you could ask for... And it's a lot easier to operate for streaming services than an AirportExpress / iPod / Airplay solution.
I've had both the airport express and multiple apple TVs. The benefit, if you're heavily invested in the iOS infrastructure is consistency across the board for how your media is handled. If you're looking to build from scratch, there are other options. I am actually looking at putting together a hifi berry as a source to emulate the airport express for Airplay
post #143 of 706 Old 09-04-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscurtiss View Post
I've had both the airport express and multiple apple TVs. The benefit, if you're heavily invested in the iOS infrastructure is consistency across the board for how your media is handled. If you're looking to build from scratch, there are other options. I am actually looking at putting together a hifi berry as a source to emulate the airport express for Airplay
Well, you can use the same iTunes library and the same devices to control it... The Sonos unit, IMO, does a much better job of allowing browsing of both the library and the online services than an AirPlay solution. And doesn't have the device-sound interrupt issues, either.

post #144 of 706 Old 09-04-2015, 09:30 PM

I've shopping for a WHA solution... I may have found it. I only need to solve the 'control it via an iOS App' issue, but some good folks are working hard on that aspect.. Maybe I need to learn how to develop iOS Apps (it would also help my resume)
post #145 of 706 Old 09-14-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
Personally I am going to use a chromecast for most of my streaming needs. In my house we have a combination of iOS / Android and the chromecast works nicely with just about any audio or video you want to stream... Pandora / Plex is what I use mostly. And it's $35

I am just a couple weeks away from my house being done, so I will report back how good of a solution it is. I just purchased an "HDMI Audio Extractor" from Amazon. This will allow me to pull the audio track from the chromecast and give it a RCA or toslink source on the 6 zone rack while still passing the video to my main tv. (Movie night can have audio playing in all 6 rooms )

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extract...udio+extractor
post #146 of 706 Old 09-14-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Ok I took a look again I actually happen to be talking to our CEO at work about Sonos and he told me he would check on a few things and get back to me. Well when I came in the next day he had a ZP80 and a bridge that he gave me (said they had just been sitting in his closet since he upgraded to new models). I asked if I could pay something but he refused. I have been playing them over the weekend and all I can say is where the hell have I been? Streaming to me is one of those things you don't think you really need until you actually use it. Once I got them online they went thru a quick software update and they have been working flawlessly without any problems at all. What can I say other than I am totally happy with it. Well I came into work today and he had left a ZP100. Its like its Christmas has come early and its Christmas in September for me. Now I will have one that the wife and I use and the other one which is for my daughter. Can't wait to get home to setup the ZP100 in the morning. I have been enjoying these so much that I stopped working on the WHA(still running a few wires which I see I missed in my pre-wire before drywall went up-what a headache) which I need to get back to it so it can be done once and for all. With the Sonos I have had so many choices streaming that I haven't even gotten around to listening to music stored in iTunes or using airplay.

1. Is there a simple Nas that you can suggest for playback with the Sonos. I was looking at the Synology 215J or the Netgear ReadyNas 102. Does anyone have any experience with any of these?

Just wanted to say thank you for the suggestion again. I have always gotten great feedback from this forum on items to purchased and I can say that I haven't been let down yet. Will report back once I get the WHA system up and running as I'm sure I'll have some questions then.

Thanks!
post #147 of 706 Old 09-14-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Ok I took a look again I actually happen to be talking to our CEO at work about Sonos and he told me he would check on a few things and get back to me. Well when I came in the next day he had a ZP80 and a bridge that he gave me (said they had just been sitting in his closet since he upgraded to new models).
Awesome boss!

Quote:
With the Sonos I have had so many choices streaming that I haven't even gotten around to listening to music stored in iTunes or using airplay.
Yeah, for casual, party or really for most WHA use cases, the streaming services (including Internet Radio) are a perfect fit. I'm with you, once I had the streaming services running on my WHA, I hardly ever use the local digital library.

Quote:
1. Is there a simple Nas that you can suggest for playback with the Sonos. I was looking at the Synology 215J or the Netgear ReadyNas 102. Does anyone have any experience with any of these?
WD MyCloud. Got one for my parents (to use with a Sonos) - super easy and cheap.

Quote:
Just wanted to say thank you for the suggestion again. I have always gotten great feedback from this forum on items to purchased and I can say that I haven't been let down yet. Will report back once I get the WHA system up and running as I'm sure I'll have some questions then.
Enjoy!

Jeff
XclusiveTN likes this.

post #148 of 706 Old 09-16-2015, 07:58 PM

Need help on grouping zones

I would like some help on grouping zones. I was going to purchase an additional 6 zone/6 source WHA system in the future but I am going to be content with the current 6 zones that I do have. I did pick up a Sonos and Sonos Connect so that adds an additional zone for a total of 7 zones. I attached pics of my floor plan with the way I was thinking about grouping them and wanted to get opinions. I didn't have much time while pre-wiring before drywall went up and missed somethings. I am currently adding wire now that will be hidden by crown molding and plan on doing that soon so I would like to get my wires run correctly while I still have time. My proposed zones were as follows:

Zone 1 & 1a(sonos connect) - Master Bedroom and Master Bath: I was actually thinking about putting the sonos connect here in the walk in closet instead of the media center AV rack so that it would be close enough to the TV that I could input the cable box and be able to play the connect or the TV in these two zones. I will use volume controls in both room so that each pair of speakers can be controlled individually. The master bedroom has 2 8ohm ceiling speakers and the master bath has a 8ohm dvc speaker. These 2 zones would never need to play different content so I didn't see a need in seperating these zones.

Zone 2, 2a & 2b(monoprice wha) - Bedroom 2(kids room which has 2 8ohm ceiling speakers) and I was going to use 2 svc stereo speakers and put one in the bathroom (kids bathroom) and one in the laundry room. I know sound wouldn't be in stereo and wont be great with the single speaker in the bathroom or laundry room but its not that critical of an area for me. I'm just looking for background music only. Since this would be a zone off of the monoprice WHA the only downfall is all three areas would play the same volume with no way to seperate levels(A sonos connect amp would solve this problem . These 3 zones would never need to play different content and primary use is background music only.

Zone 3(monoprice wha) - Kitchen: This is an open area and can be heard in the dining room as well as the great room.

Zone 4 & 4a(monoprice wha): Patio and front porch. Monoprice WHA zone so speakers would not be able to be controlled individually. There isn't a need to seperate sources from these zones. Each area has 2 8ohm speakers (outdoor speakers in patio & ceiling speakers on front porch)

Zone 5(monoprice wha) - garage - 2 8ohm speakers

Zone 6 & 6a(monoprice wha) - Bedroom 3 & bath 2. This is guest bedroom which never gets used and only bathroom on 2nd floor. Guest bedroom has 2 8ohm speakers and bathroom has dvc single speaker. Both of these areas would play same source

Zone 7(monoprice wha)- bedroom 4 (kids playroom) 2 8ohm ceiling speakers.

The sonos connect would be in zones 1 and 1a and then the sonos would be a source for the other zones as well as plugged into the AVR for the bonus room and 5.1. The questions I have are:

1. Are my zones grouped ok or would you change them around?
2. I would like to be able to play the TV over the in ceiling speakers in Master Bedroom as well as the great room/kitchen area.
3. Am I able to plug the sonos in the WHA as a source and also plug it into my AVR so that I can play it in the bonus room on the 5.1 surround sound and not have to actually create a zone for that area?
4. I'm thinking a few more sonos connects amp could solve the problem of not combining zones or at least being able to have a volume control but by they time I purchase 2 sonos connect amp, I could have easily purchased another monoprice amp and added 6 additional zones!!

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1stfloor.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	944482   Click image for larger version

Name:	2ndfloor.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	944490  

Last edited by XclusiveTN; 09-16-2015 at 10:36 PM.
post #149 of 706 Old 09-18-2015, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys, I am troubleshooting my install. On the backside of the Master switch are 7 RJ45 ports, but there are only the 6 zones (6 - RJ45 jacks). What is the extra port for? I can only get sound out of 1 of the zones and so I am trying to figure why that is and want to make sure I have the Master switch wired correctly. Yes, I have verified that my dip switches are set correctly.
post #150 of 706 Old 09-18-2015, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzubrad View Post
Hey guys, I am troubleshooting my install. On the backside of the Master switch are 7 RJ45 ports, but there are only the 6 zones (6 - RJ45 jacks). What is the extra port for? I can only get sound out of 1 of the zones and so I am trying to figure why that is and want to make sure I have the Master switch wired correctly. Yes, I have verified that my dip switches are set correctly.
1 of the ports of the master switch connects back to the unit. The other 6 connect to each zone. Think of it as a distribution switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page