Any experience with the Monoprice 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller? - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #181 of 688 Old 10-03-2015, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the previous post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 688 Old 10-03-2015, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscurtiss View Post
In the previous post?
Sorry. Not seeing it. I'm in mobile so I might not be seeing it.
post #183 of 688 Old 10-03-2015, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post
Where can I get the code?
Just use the code OCTOBER when checking out and it should make the adustment and give free shipping as we'll. Forum mbers looked out and let me know when it went on sale so just passing the favor forward! It says sale ends 10/04

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 688 Old 10-03-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XclusiveTN View Post
Just use the code OCTOBER when checking out and it should make the adustment and give free shipping as we'll. Forum mbers looked out and let me know when it went on sale so just passing the favor forward! It says sale ends 10/04

Enjoy!
Oh duh. I thought you were just saying it's for the month of October.
post #185 of 688 Old 10-03-2015, 10:13 AM

Liked: 14
Purchasing mine today and need to look into the Chromecast, seems like an easy way to stream music.

Has anyone tried to bridge 2 channels for a single zone and control with 1 wall controller?

Here's the HT rack i'm slowly filling..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File Oct 03, 12 02 56 PM.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	973929  
post #186 of 688 Old 10-03-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scaro View Post
Purchasing mine today and need to look into the Chromecast, seems like an easy way to stream music.

Has anyone tried to bridge 2 channels for a single zone and control with 1 wall controller?

Here's the HT rack i'm slowly filling..
I'm not sure about chromecast as I have never used it but if you look at previous post I was reluctant to Sonos but I couldn't be more happier with it. I had planned to use my iTunes library but still haven't set it up yet as te streaming music from free services have been more than enough for us!!!
post #187 of 688 Old 10-04-2015, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Monoprice WHA and Sonos

I appreciate all the posts in this thread. I've been struggling for months trying to figure out the best amp for my WHA and kept coming back to the Monoprice unit. After all these posts, I think I'm sold. My only hesitation before was the inability to control the amp via my IPhone, but it seems that can be easily dealt with.

My question has to do with using Sonos Connect as a source in the system. Is it possible to hook one Sonos up as a source and have users in different zones stream different things at the same thing, I.e., iTunes from my computer in Zone 1 and Pandora in Zone 3? I can't get my head around whether this would work with only one Sonos unit. The guys at BestBuy say yes, but I don't trust them.

Thanks!
post #188 of 688 Old 10-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compdocsc View Post
I appreciate all the posts in this thread. I've been struggling for months trying to figure out the best amp for my WHA and kept coming back to the Monoprice unit. After all these posts, I think I'm sold. My only hesitation before was the inability to control the amp via my IPhone, but it seems that can be easily dealt with.

My question has to do with using Sonos Connect as a source in the system. Is it possible to hook one Sonos up as a source and have users in different zones stream different things at the same thing, I.e., iTunes from my computer in Zone 1 and Pandora in Zone 3? I can't get my head around whether this would work with only one Sonos unit. The guys at BestBuy say yes, but I don't trust them.

Thanks!
No. You will need multiple Sonos Connects for that. One for each different simultaneous stream.
post #189 of 688 Old 10-04-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compdocsc View Post
As hoyalawya said, one Sonos unit per simultaneous (different) stream. Just like any other source device. If you wanted to listen to 5 different CDs in the house simultaneously, you'd need 5 CD players hooked up to the system.

If you're expecting your primary (or only) source device to be a Sonos Connect - definitely start doing the $$ vs. functionality trade-off comparison. If your number of expected simultaneous streams is 'close' to the number of zones you have - you'll be much better off buying Sonos Connect:Amp units (one per zone) instead of the Connect/Monoprice WHA combo setup. Usability goes way up.

And note that since a Connect:Amp is 4-ohm stable, it can power two rooms from one unit - as a way to get started without the initial expense (of one unit per zone). Then, over time and as budget allows or usage dictates, you can add more Connect:Amp units until you have that 1:1 complete system...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #190 of 688 Old 10-04-2015, 12:15 PM

I would say you have to determine how often you would need different streams at the same time. I have a sonos connect amp for one of my zones powering 4 speakers (2 in master bedroom and 2 in master bathroom. I also have a connect as a source for the rest of the house. My wife and I pretty much share a sonos and my daughter has one so two of them works out perfect for us. If cost wasn't a factor a stack of connect amps would be the ideal solution but it can add up quickly! Enjoy!
post #191 of 688 Old 10-04-2015, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It's just my wife and me, so I think 2 simultaneous streams would be enough. Seems to me the Monoprice amp unit with 2 Sonos might be the most cost-effective way to go because I could power all zones with that. I can't afford 6 Sonos Connect Amps right now, but it might be something to strive for. I'm guessing he Sonos Connect and Connect Amp combo per zone would be the most flexible.
post #192 of 688 Old 10-04-2015, 06:57 PM

Thinking of doing a raspberry pi or hifi berry or two. Functionality of the airport express at half the cost.

What speakers are people powering off this amp?
post #193 of 688 Old 10-05-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpisano View Post
Dgrstl

The Lync12 system look like a nice system having the meta data on the keypad, but as mentioned, at an ineradicable price point. I think this is closer the MCA-66 as far as features go.

As far as Power, I have to say I've been happy with it, so much that i bought two, I went with 6 and 8 inch Yamaha Speakers (50 min -140w)
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...ling-speakers/
Levels around the house are at about half, even in the master bedroom where the ceilings are vaulted. The master bath also vaulted, I'll cranked it up to 3/4 while showering. (if nobody is home )
Even in the outside (although I used two zones in back and one for side) at half volume is loud enough, and I control them via my App (no keypads). My next version I hope to group zones together so if you change source or volume, they will all change. (FYI: I have ported the code to RaspberryPi\Mono Beta for people who don't have a dedicated computer)

Keep in mind, normally it's background music, it's never gonna rock the house like my Theater Surround system, it's not it's intent, but the 14 year old cranks up her dance music in her bedroom and sometimes i wish it had less power.

Bottom line, for the price you really cant beat it, but like always, if your pockets are deep their's always something better....

HTH,
Mike Pisano
Mike,

Thanks for all the info and product updates for this. I just bought mine and look forward to putting all you hard work to use
post #194 of 688 Old 10-05-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure about chromecast as I have never used it but if you look at previous post I was reluctant to Sonos but I couldn't be more happier with it. I had planned to use my iTunes library but still haven't set it up yet as te streaming music from free services have been more than enough for us!!!
I think the Sonos will be the way to go also, I finally had a chance to go through the whole thread and saw all the recommendations on the Sonos.

Thanks for all the input guys
post #195 of 688 Old 10-05-2015, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Thinking of doing a raspberry pi or hifi berry or two. Functionality of the airport express at half the cost.

I personally bought a bunch of the Monoprice 8" in ceiling speakers. I think they sound great. (I got the 15 degree angled ones for rooms with vaulted ceilings.
post #196 of 688 Old 10-06-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Will the rasberry/hifi play pandora or spotify?
post #197 of 688 Old 10-06-2015, 06:03 PM

I'm looking at using my iPhone as source and the pi being a poormans airport express. If I add two my wife and I both would have the ability to independently set material from our phone as source playable in different zones.

Sure the Sonos does this but also costs $500-$600 more for two units.
post #198 of 688 Old 10-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Try the new ChromeCast Audio at $35 each. Should do exactly what you want.
post #199 of 688 Old 10-07-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Try the new ChromeCast Audio at $35 each. Should do exactly what you want.
Bingo. As much as I've enjoyed the Sonos ecosystem, I've totally moved on to my Chromecast Audios and have surprisingly come to prefer it! Even better that it's literally 1/10th the price!!! So a stack of 6 of them is WAAAAAAY more economically feasible.
post #200 of 688 Old 10-07-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Bingo. As much as I've enjoyed the Sonos ecosystem, I've totally moved on to my Chromecast Audios and have surprisingly come to prefer it! Even better that it's literally 1/10th the price!!! So a stack of 6 of them is WAAAAAAY more economically feasible.
Why would you need six? Would that be to have six different streams at one time if needed? I'm am totally happy with my sonos but for $35 may try one out and just have it as an additional source to choose from.
post #201 of 688 Old 10-08-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Why would you need six?
It does seem like total overkill, but you'd be shocked at how many homes I've seen with literally 6 of them sitting on a shelf. When it's the Connect:Amps we're talking about, that setup makes for a very easy WHA solution that actually works fairly well for most. Too bad it's so expensive, though. Personally, I'd rather have something like the Monoprice unit + a few of the Chromecasts at a fraction of the price, but hey, that's just me.
post #202 of 688 Old 10-08-2015, 04:59 PM

But when you compare the cost of 6 connect amps to a New Russound system it's not so bad.
post #203 of 688 Old 10-12-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post
But when you compare the cost of 6 connect amps to a New Russound system it's not so bad.
Where can you purchase these and what is the cost? I don't seem to find alot info on them. I think I will keep my Sonos and maybe add one but be giving out as gifts for the holidays!
post #204 of 688 Old 10-13-2015, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I purchased my monoprice 6 zone several months ago and just got around to hooking it up last night. I have 5 zones set-up, 2 in-ceiling speakers each, stereo. The system will be used strictly for whole house audio, no TV or other AV tie-in. 2 questions:
1. Does it make more sense to set all the zones in bridged mono versus stereo? L versus R is not important as the speakers are spread throughout each room in a very open floorplan.

2. Is it possible to control all zones with 1 keypad or somehow tie the zones together so that the volume is the same everywhere? I have already tied the sources together with Zone 1 and PA in, just need to figure out if I can control all of the zone volumes together.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
post #205 of 688 Old 10-13-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlyoung99 View Post
1. Does it make more sense to set all the zones in bridged mono versus stereo? L versus R is not important as the speakers are spread throughout each room in a very open floorplan.
No. Bridged mono produces a single output for an 8-ohm load. Two speakers in parallel would be a 4-ohm load (best case).

Quote:
2. Is it possible to control all zones with 1 keypad or somehow tie the zones together so that the volume is the same everywhere? I have already tied the sources together with Zone 1 and PA in, just need to figure out if I can control all of the zone volumes together.
No, there's no "party mode" on this system...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #206 of 688 Old 10-13-2015, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
No. Bridged mono produces a single output for an 8-ohm load. Two speakers in parallel would be a 4-ohm load (best case).

No, there's no "party mode" on this system...
Thanks for the quick response. I really wish there was some workaround for tying the zones together. In the end, I think I bought the wrong system as I really don't need the separate volume controls, just a multi-zone amp tied to a receiver for source selection.

Thanks again.
post #207 of 688 Old 10-13-2015, 02:50 PM

Wait - you can't take an input for input 1 ( or 6 for the digital in) and apply across all zones?
post #208 of 688 Old 10-13-2015, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Wait - you can't take an input for input 1 ( or 6 for the digital in) and apply across all zones?
I think you can, but you still need to control each zone independently. That is, you can't "gang" them together and control the input and volume as one mega-zone. Any input or volume changes need to be applied to each zone.
post #209 of 688 Old 10-13-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Of course you can, but not from a single keypad (changing sources in another zone), nor adjust volume in every zone together - that's typically called "party mode", and not a feature on this unit. While party mode is a handy feature to have, with a mobile app support, you can accomplish the same thing without having to walk around to every room's keypad - which is why the feature was introduced.

post #210 of 688 Old 10-21-2015, 07:35 PM

Still hoping for an update from someone who set this up with the irule system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page