Any experience with the Monoprice 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller? - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #211 of 688 Old 10-24-2015, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
volume control speaker cable wiring for this monoprice 6 zone system

Hello everyone

I have a question on this monoprice 6 zone controller whole home audio system. With all good reviews on this forum, I have bought this system but I am kind of confused right now and worried about the wiring challenge per below.

Our builder did the rough in for 5 zones in the house as per my request. As part of rough in , 4 conductor 16 gauge wire was run from volume control to amplifier location and 2 conductor wire from same volume control to speaker location in ceiling. Also a cat 5e wire was run from volume. Control to amplifier location,

But the volume controls I received from monoprice today in this system only talk about connecting cat5e to amplifier thru wall plate and expects speakers to be directly connected to amplifier, I can't find on the back of volume control any way to connect the 2 conductor and 4 conductor speaker wires...

if I can't connect speaker wires to volume control, how can I connect the 2 conductor cable to 4 conductor cable. I am worried if this system will work for my current wiring rough in.... looks like htd volume controls are designed this way but monoprice volume controls are not,,,,''

Please help....... much appreciated for your thoughts...

Pepsoft239
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 688 Old 10-24-2015, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I think most systems connect speakers to the amplifiers directly.
post #213 of 688 Old 10-25-2015, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsoft239 View Post
Our builder did the rough in for 5 zones in the house as per my request. As part of rough in , 4 conductor 16 gauge wire was run from volume control to amplifier location and 2 conductor wire from same volume control to speaker location in ceiling. Also a cat 5e wire was run from volume. Control to amplifier location,
The builder did it perfectly.

Quote:
But the volume controls I received from monoprice today in this system only talk about connecting cat5e to amplifier thru wall plate and expects speakers to be directly connected to amplifier, I can't find on the back of volume control any way to connect the 2 conductor and 4 conductor speaker wires...

if I can't connect speaker wires to volume control, how can I connect the 2 conductor cable to 4 conductor cable. I am worried if this system will work for my current wiring rough in.... looks like htd volume controls are designed this way but monoprice volume controls are not
You don't. The wiring pattern is done this way to allow the use of any of the systems on the market. Your system controls volume at the central amp, not at the wall plate, which is what you want, as it allows control from other places or controls (like a mobile app!).

The only thing you need to do is splice the 4-conductor wire at the keypad locations to the two, 2-conductor wires to each speaker. Use a consistent color coding, and then connect the 4-conductor wires to the Monoprice system. Suggest you use the Red/Black wires for the Right speaker (+/-) and the Green/White wires for the Left speaker (+/-). You can use any splice connectors you want - I used simple wire nuts.

This is perfectly normal and expected. You're in great shape.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 688 Old 10-26-2015, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

This is perfectly normal and expected. You're in great shape.
Yup ^ this is how I wired mine as well. This way, you can use an ABUS style system if you wish as well as a central amp like the monoprice system. You are ready to rock either way. With the monoprice system you will just splice your wires to the speakers and essentially bypass connecting anything at the volume control (other than your home run of cat5)
post #215 of 688 Old 10-26-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottphillips88 View Post
Yup ^ this is how I wired mine as well. This way, you can use an ABUS style system if you wish as well as a central amp like the monoprice system. You are ready to rock either way. With the monoprice system you will just splice your wires to the speakers and essentially bypass connecting anything at the volume control (other than your home run of cat5)
The pattern is what has been recommended by the CEA for a decade or so - for exactly that reason. Combo of home-run cat5e and speaker wire supports any of the system architectures available.

Having that cat5e available for keypads is crucial for more advanced systems (and we should all assume that eventually those keypads become color touchscreens)...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #216 of 688 Old 10-27-2015, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Monoprice 6 Zone with Chromecast

Just thought I would post a follow-up to my original question a few weeks ago. I received the Monoprice 6-zone system a couple of weeks ago, and ended up getting it on sale for $490, including shipping. I also purchased 2 Chromecast Audio units at the same time. My system in the house is 6-zone (actually 7, but I combined the master bedroom and bathroom into one zone). I have the 8-inch kevlar 3-way Monoprice speakers installed throughout all zones. Four of the zones are 5.1 and the rest are only speaker pairs. In the 5.1 zones, 2 of the speakers are used for 5.1 AND whole house audio. Works great.

The instructions that came with the 6-zone amp are pretty limited and specified that you should use Ethernet wiring scheme A, but I wired my house for B throughout. Turns out the instructions are outdated, and B is actually correct. Once that was sorted out, I terminated all ends, set the the dip switches on the keypads for the appropriate zone assignment and hooked it all up. Hook up was a breeze, and I had most everything working first shot. I had 4 speakers not playing, but that was due to poor connections at the speakers themselves. Fixed all that and everything is good. The system is easy to use, and Chromecast works great. I didn't have the budget 2 buy 2 Sonos Connects and went the Chromecast route at $35 a piece. Maybe Sonos is more user-friendly, but I don't know. Chromecast is easy to use, works great, sounds good. I have Comecast Business Class internet at the house, and I never have any problems with skipping.

The only downsides I see with the Monoprice system is that you can never turn the keypads completely off, so there's always a blue light on. I haven't found it to be disturbing, even in the bedroom, but it would be good to have the option to turn them completely off. There is no party mode whereby you can control all zone controllers from any zone controller, so until I get the iPhone app that's on this thread up and working, you do have to go to each keypad and turn them off. This is sort of minor, too. I plan on getting the app set up this weekend, running off a Plex server next to the Monoprice app.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with the set-up and even more pleased with the overall cost. I've got about $2k invested in a whole house audio system with about 28 speakers and 2 stream sources (soon to be 3 with Plex). This is far cheaper than any of the other alternatives.
post #217 of 688 Old 10-27-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compdocsc View Post
The instructions that came with the 6-zone amp are pretty limited and specified that you should use Ethernet wiring scheme A, but I wired my house for B throughout. Turns out the instructions are outdated, and B is actually correct.
It really doesn't matter as long as it's all consistently wired as A or B

Quote:
The only downsides I see with the Monoprice system is that you can never turn the keypads completely off, so there's always a blue light on. I haven't found it to be disturbing, even in the bedroom, but it would be good to have the option to turn them completely off.
Haven't looked back at the keypad pictures, but is that something that could be fixed with a LightDim sticker?

Jeff

post #218 of 688 Old 10-27-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
It really doesn't matter as long as it's all consistently wired as A or B

What I thought, too, but I figured better safe than sorry. The instructions were VERY specific about using only A, even though B is the more common. I got on chat with Monoprice and went round and round with the guy there. I asked him how the controller would know which standard it was wired for, as long as it was the same on both ends. He kept saying the amp and keypad would know. We went around like this for about 20 minutes. Finally I told him he was making my head hurt, and he finally admitted that it didn't matter and the updated instruction manual specifies B std anyway. I just didn't want something to blow up and then Monoprice not support it because I didn't follow instructions.

Haven't looked back at the keypad pictures, but is that something that could be fixed with a LightDim sticker?

Jeff
I suppose so, but I don't find them to be so bright that it's a problem--and one of the keypads is about 3 feet from my bed. I don't notice them, but if you were bothered by such things, I thought I would throw that out there.
post #219 of 688 Old 10-27-2015, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can the Monoprice be set up with subzones? I was looking at this or the HTD, and the HTD has a subzone amp as part of their product lineup. I can't find anything similar with Monoprice. Would just have basic volume control in the subzone; keypad control in the primary zone.
post #220 of 688 Old 10-27-2015, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle_golfnut View Post
Can the Monoprice be set up with subzones? I was looking at this or the HTD, and the HTD has a subzone amp as part of their product lineup. I can't find anything similar with Monoprice. Would just have basic volume control in the subzone; keypad control in the primary zone.
This was one of the features that I really interested in and wanted to see if the Monoprice amp was capable of it. I'm no expert but so far I haven't been able to do this because unlike the HTD amp which has the option of choosing between variable and unvariable on each channel, the Monoprice amp doesn't have this option. If you do figure out a way to do this please let me know

post #221 of 688 Old 10-28-2015, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I would say variable based on main volume control for that zone. Upside for the cost right now with the sale you could darn near get 2 and daisy chain together.
post #222 of 688 Old 10-28-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscurtiss View Post

I would say variable based on main volume control for that zone. Upside for the cost right now with the sale you could darn near get 2 and daisy chain together.
^^^^^^^ What he said!!! I was disppointed and ready to return the Monoprice amp after figuring out sub-zones wasn't an option but for the cost you can have two units for what you will pay for HTD so I decided to keep it and along with Sonos can't say I regret my decision at all! Still haven't had time to download the app in previous post but all thats missing for me is party mode! Once that is taken care of not much more you can ask for considering the price..

post #223 of 688 Old 10-29-2015, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the iOS app people keep mentioning? What bridges the app communication to RS-232? Is there an equivalent Android app?

Thanks!
post #224 of 688 Old 10-29-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zax123 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the iOS app people keep mentioning? What bridges the app communication to RS-232? Is there an equivalent Android app?
It's down just a few threads from here...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-hom...ontroller.html

post #225 of 688 Old 10-29-2015, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
It's down just a few threads from here...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-hom...ontroller.html
Thanks for the heads up!! I need more time to troll all these forums - so much I'm missing.
post #226 of 688 Old 10-29-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scaro View Post
Thanks for the heads up!! I need more time to troll all these forums - so much I'm missing.
*STROLL* these forums... Troll, not so much...

post #227 of 688 Old 10-31-2015, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compdocsc View Post
Four of the zones are 5.1 and the rest are only speaker pairs. In the 5.1 zones, 2 of the speakers are used for 5.1 AND whole house audio. Works great.
How is it wired? I have a 5.1 in my living room driven by a Denon AVR. If I add a Monoprice 6-zones system, how can I share two of the speakers between the Denon and the Monoprice? One option of course is to have one of the zones out be an input on the Denon, but I am running out of inputs (and i couldn't move, say, Bluetooth to the Monoprice because of range—though this will resolve itself eventually as I move that to some Chromecast audio), and also it would be great to be able to play whichever amp is active. So what did you do there (or what would others do to make this work)?
post #228 of 688 Old 11-01-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Crash View Post
How is it wired? I have a 5.1 in my living room driven by a Denon AVR. If I add a Monoprice 6-zones system, how can I share two of the speakers between the Denon and the Monoprice?
You need the speaker wiring in place so you can switch between the AVR's output and the WHA system. Here's a wiring diagram I did (this is for the NuVo-specific LSI switch, but the wiring pattern is the same, except you won't need a control wire from the keypad).

Then you need an automatic speaker-level switch, with the default side being the AVR (since surround sound is usually soft or non-existent until something happens - so you don't watch switching delays). There are several good options:

Russound AB-3.2
SpeakerCraft SL-One
Niles ABS-1

Jeff

post #229 of 688 Old 11-01-2015, 08:13 PM

Hey guys, I finally have my system all setup. I shot a quick video for those that might want ideas. The local RCA sources have been a real hit. Sometime it's just easier to plug your phone in rather than deal with a chromecast. I used all Monoprice speakers and they sound excellent. Much more power out of this system than my previous ABUS system. Check out the Youtube comments for links.
Hope it helps!

mylan likes this.
post #230 of 688 Old 11-03-2015, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just got this amp and while it sounds great in normal stereo, when I tried it with bridged output the sound was noticeably worse (grainy, thin) and not really any louder. This was with8 ohm speakers. Not surprising as its an inherent limitation of bridging amps line this. And Its no problem for me, but FYI.
post #231 of 688 Old 11-17-2015, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am seriously considering this WHA amp vs the HTD lync setup as the cost difference is substantial. We built our home 9 yrs ago but wired for as much as I could think of at the time so I am wired for 22 zones(wire is cheap). Many of the zones overlap so I have paired that down to 12 with some zones paired up as one (my front and rear porch each have 4 speakers which I will parallel wire to 4ohms) and some additional sub-zones that I will eventually need an a separate 12 channel amp (looking at the dayton 1230a). I like @scottphillips88 implementation of local zones but it is too late to add coax in most locations. As I will have some free cat5 wires on joined zones where I primarily would like a local source I was considering using this with audio baluns. Does anyone have any experience with this?
post #232 of 688 Old 11-17-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahultin View Post
I like @scottphillips88 implementation of local zones but it is too late to add coax in most locations. As I will have some free cat5 wires on joined zones where I primarily would like a local source I was considering using this with audio baluns. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I plan to use this in locations where I was too lazy to run coax. (A few tv's got 4 cat6 lines but no extra coax other than for cable box)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

However, I have not pulled the trigger yet and bought them.
post #233 of 688 Old 11-17-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahultin View Post
As I will have some free cat5 wires on joined zones where I primarily would like a local source I was considering using this with audio baluns. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I've used several of the MuxLab audio cat5 baluns and they work very well. Their Quad Audio Balun was perfect for cross-connecting my primary music system in the family room to the WHA system - so both can share sources (although I rarely used that capability in the end).

Jeff

post #234 of 688 Old 11-28-2015, 04:48 AM

$499 plus free shipping!

Awesome deal for anyone who hasn't spent all of their Black Friday money yet.
$499.99 plus free shipping

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10761
post #235 of 688 Old 11-30-2015, 11:02 AM

I've read through this thread and it has been extremely enlightening! I am considering purchasing the monoprice set up, but wanted to get a little clarification on what others have mentioned already. If I desire to get any decent bass response from my home audio system (i'd like to be able to listen with some decent volume and get at least some punch), is the monoprice system not for me, due to it's low power output?
post #236 of 688 Old 11-30-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks209 View Post
I've read through this thread and it has been extremely enlightening! I am considering purchasing the monoprice set up, but wanted to get a little clarification on what others have mentioned already. If I desire to get any decent bass response from my home audio system (i'd like to be able to listen with some decent volume and get at least some punch), is the monoprice system not for me, due to it's low power output?
Whole house audio systems, in general, are not good choices for "primary listening areas" - aka any place you'd traditionally use an AVR with freestanding speakers. These systems are meant for 'background' music in multiple rooms, usually through 'architectural' (hidden / in-ceiling / in-wall) speakers.

post #237 of 688 Old 11-30-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Whole house audio systems, in general, are not good choices for "primary listening areas" - aka any place you'd traditionally use an AVR with freestanding speakers. These systems are meant for 'background' music in multiple rooms, usually through 'architectural' (hidden / in-ceiling / in-wall) speakers.
I see... So would getting something with more power not really help me get what i'm looking for? (Looking at the commonly compared HTD set up, MC66SET40-KC7). Would the difference between the two in terms of low end response not be worth the obvious price hike?
post #238 of 688 Old 11-30-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I see... So would getting something with more power not really help me get what i'm looking for? (Looking at the commonly compared HTD set up, MC66SET40-KC7). Would the difference between the two in terms of low end response not be worth the obvious price hike?
Speakers will be the limiting factor on low-end response much more than any of these systems. You can add a subwoofer to any zone if you have the wiring in place. But what are you trying to set up? An AVR is a much better choice for a primary listening area, especially if there will be a display nearby.

post #239 of 688 Old 11-30-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Speakers will be the limiting factor on low-end response much more than any of these systems. You can add a subwoofer to any zone if you have the wiring in place. But what are you trying to set up? An AVR is a much better choice for a primary listening area, especially if there will be a display nearby.
Thanks for you willingness to help. So I'm building a home and wired it for 6 zones per the usual set up (a controller in each zone with a 16/4 and cat5 and 2 16/2 wires from the control to the speaker locations in each zone). The use for this will be purely for whole home music, i dont have plans to use it for my tvs or anything. Background music is nice and will probably be the primary use, however my wife is a fan of her more 'bassy' genres and i'd like the system to produce the kind of sound you'd expect when playing some hip hop or something along those lines, if possible. I've considered doing a separate system for if she wants to listen to louder music, but she likes the idea of having all the speakers hidden (hence trying to achieve a good compromise with ceiling speakers)
post #240 of 688 Old 11-30-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for you willingness to help. So I'm building a home and wired it for 6 zones per the usual set up (a controller in each zone with a 16/4 and cat5 and 2 16/2 wires from the control to the speaker locations in each zone). The use for this will be purely for whole home music, i dont have plans to use it for my tvs or anything. Background music is nice and will probably be the primary use, however my wife is a fan of her more 'bassy' genres and i'd like the system to produce the kind of sound you'd expect when playing some hip hop or something along those lines, if possible. I've considered doing a separate system for if she wants to listen to louder music, but she likes the idea of having all the speakers hidden (hence trying to achieve a good compromise with ceiling speakers)
Oh, and a little more detail, I'm wanting to be able to have separate sources for each zones, or listen to the same source on all zones. I'll have the controllers, but am wanting wireless control as well via a smart phone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page