Airport Express or Sonos for 6 sone system? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #31 of 38 Old 07-13-2015, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by inwall View Post
I just wrote on this topic describing how to set up a 6 zone Apple Airplay Express system with a 6 zone multi channel amp.

Hope it's of some help to someone here:

inwallblog(dot)com/wp/apple-airplay-multi-room-setup-6-zones/
Sorry for mangled link. It appears I'm not allowed to post links until I get to 5 posts. I'll work on it.

Brian Kruse
Great tutorial. Very detailed and to the point.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 07-14-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
I just wrote on this topic describing how to set up a 6 zone Apple Airplay Express system with a 6 zone multi channel amp.

inwallblog.com/wp/apple-airplay-multi-room-setup-6-zones/
Sorry for mangled link. It appears I'm not allowed to post links until I get to 5 posts. I'll work on it.
Hey! That's actually pretty slick! I'll need to try that out for sure.
post #33 of 38 Old 07-20-2015, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just stumbled back on my own thread and the solution Brian posted is very similar to what I want implemented... Have you found any apps that allow you to isolate the music streaming from extraneous noise? IE phone rings texts etc - if I am hosting people?

can you talk a little about configuring the router so the hardwired airports don't clog the network traffic?

much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 07-27-2015, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post
Just stumbled back on my own thread and the solution Brian posted is very similar to what I want implemented... Have you found any apps that allow you to isolate the music streaming from extraneous noise? IE phone rings texts etc - if I am hosting people?

can you talk a little about configuring the router so the hardwired airports don't clog the network traffic?

much appreciated
Apps for extraneous noise -- When I use iTunes, I don't have any problems with any localized noise as I can separate "system" sounds and send them to the internal speaker of the computer being used. Using the app "Remote", I can control iTunes from my phone but the sounds are coming from the computer. If I use Porthole from the computer it's the same thing. I can use Spotify, Pandora or whatever from the computer and send out the sounds to the zones I want.

I set up the "network" of "Audio" separate from my main home network. You can do it a couple of ways. I used a second router and then set it up to be a DMZ address since it was within the home network and not exposed to the public IP. I set up the wifi "network" as "Audio" so I could switch easily via an iPhone. I could also set up a separate VLAN. For example, set one VLAN to 10.0.0.x (10.0.0.0/24) and the other to 192.168.0.x (192.168.0.0/24). Google "VLAN" for more info, it's probably beyond the scope of this thread.

As I mention in the article, 3 or 4 wireless instances of Airplay is ok, but any more and you risk running into too much overhead and get drop outs. Not to mention others in the house seeing slowing of internet use.

Hope that helps.

Brian
post #35 of 38 Old 07-28-2015, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post

much appreciated
Many apps let you stream directly from them. That means that only that app will go out over AirPlay. There is a lot of incorrect information in these comments... That does not mean that a phone call won't kill the music, but you can always use iTunes/Remote for times that is an issue.
post #36 of 38 Old 08-05-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:

inwallblog(dot)com/wp/apple-airplay-multi-room-setup-6-zones/

Brian Kruse
Brian, i was able to find a couple of the older Airport Expresses on eBay. However, I do have a slight glitch. I moved my newer Airport Express from the central media closet to the closet in my bedroom (hardwired), which runs my bathroom speaker. The reason I moved it is because I kept losing my connection when my phone was in the bathroom. After moving it, it seems to drop the signal more. The funny thing is if I keep my phone by the media closet, I don't lose my signal. I haven't tried to move the Airport Express back to the media closet yet, but may give it a shot soon.
inwall likes this.
post #37 of 38 Old 08-05-2015, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dago52 View Post
Brian, i was able to find a couple of the older Airport Expresses on eBay. However, I do have a slight glitch. I moved my newer Airport Express from the central media closet to the closet in my bedroom (hardwired), which runs my bathroom speaker. The reason I moved it is because I kept losing my connection when my phone was in the bathroom. After moving it, it seems to drop the signal more. The funny thing is if I keep my phone by the media closet, I don't lose my signal. I haven't tried to move the Airport Express back to the media closet yet, but may give it a shot soon.
Science meets art! Experiment for sure.

My "normal" audio system consists of 3 airplay zones around my house. I recently needed to upgrade my main router to take out it's bottleneck that was limiting my Comcast speeds but I didn't want to go out and buy something new so I used my Airport Extreme as my main home router and got an old wireless router at goodwill, installed DD-WRT on it to use as an AP (access point) for my main wireless area. What I found out were a couple things.

1. Apple Extremes are not really great main routers if you have a VOIP ( voice over internet protocol) phone system.
2. Others don't play well with multicast and Apple Airports.

I ended up buying a new main router that was robust enough for my other needs like vpn and voip and put my Airport Extreme back to handling local wireless traffic. It ended up being rock solid again.

If you have any other types of wireless brands, that's a likely point to explore for those drop outs. Hope that helps.

Brian Kruse
Inwallstore.com
post #38 of 38 Old 08-05-2015, 01:30 PM

Thanks Brian. My main router is an older generation Apple Extreme. I also have an 8 port gigabit switch connected to increase the number of ports for hardwired devices. Also, I have no phone service and just use my cell phone. I am on a 60 gig plan with Charter and may end up getting a newer Apple Extreme router to see if that helps.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page