Remote Location vs. Distributed Video - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-24-2014, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Remote Location vs. Distributed Video

Hello Everyone,

I saw a comment earlier on one the threads here that mentioned remote location vs distributed video. This got me thinking about my plans for my new house I'm building.

I had wanted a distributed video system using SnapAV 4x4 matrix and baluns. I have one TV in the master bedroom, one in the living room, and then a theater room in the basement. With a quote from a local installer of 5K and me doing most of the wiring and such, I'm thinking this is not the best use of my money. Perhaps remotely locating my devices in the basement might be better and just have some sort of setup using Harmony remotes.

My sources are a Blu-Ray, 2x Direct Receivers, and a Dune player. I have two receivers as well. Pioneer Elite SC-71 and a Pioneer Elite VSX-92. In addition I have a visio soundbar for the living room that does just fine for football and general tv watching. I currently own a Harmony One and love it. The house is small only 1625 sqft on the main level and about 1000 sqft finished in the basement. Max distance from one side of the house to the other is only 60 feet.

Is a distributed video system the better option or is remote location a better way to go? We haven't started wiring the house at all, it's all just framed and electrical rough in is still a few weeks away.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-24-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 900
The wiring for either is the same, so do that!

To have AVR's remotely located, you'll also need to home-run 5.1 speaker connections (5 pairs of speaker wire, 1 RG59 for a subwoofer). Route all of those speaker wires through a wall plate location in the room itself, so that if you want to locate an AVR in the room, you still can use the in-wall wiring.

Then it's just a matter of an HDMI extender with IR support for each remote setup. And no matrix hassles...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-24-2014, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
The wiring for either is the same, so do that!

To have AVR's remotely located, you'll also need to home-run 5.1 speaker connections (5 pairs of speaker wire, 1 RG59 for a subwoofer). Route all of those speaker wires through a wall plate location in the room itself, so that if you want to locate an AVR in the room, you still can use the in-wall wiring.

Then it's just a matter of an HDMI extender with IR support for each remote setup. And no matrix hassles...

Jeff
@jautor Jeff, thanks so much for the response. It was actually your comment on another thread that got me thinking about this. I was planning to run 2 cat6 cables and one RG6 each to two locations in each room total of 12 drops and 24 cables. I was going to prewire both my theater, living room for 5.1 as well as run two for my back patio. As far as the HDMI extenders are concerned do you have any recommendations?

Erik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-24-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by six172 View Post
I was planning to run 2 cat6 cables and one RG6 each to two locations in each room total of 12 drops and 24 cables. I was going to prewire both my theater, living room for 5.1 as well as run two for my back patio. As far as the HDMI extenders are concerned do you have any recommendations?
If you're only running two cat6 cables per display location, you should be using HDBaseT extenders. The less-expensive 2-cable solutions wouldn't leave you with any cables left over for Ethernet or other purposes...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-27-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
If you're only running two cat6 cables per display location, you should be using HDBaseT extenders. The less-expensive 2-cable solutions wouldn't leave you with any cables left over for Ethernet or other purposes...
Okay, so perhaps three cat6 and one RG6 per drop. I saw the sticky thread about which extenders, but it seems a little dated. Any recommendations?
post #6 of 12 Old 10-27-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Not sure I follow this one

If you centralise your Sources and wish to then 'share' them to multiple Zones you will still require a Matrix - either with integral Extender technology or Outputting HDMI to multiple Extenders.

You can have your 'whole house' Sources centralised and connected to 'In-Zone' AVR's, or Soundbar's and have additional 'In-Zone' Sources connected to the Zone AVR where required.

Ideally you want to have the same audio capabilities in each Zone or at least cater for the best audio the Whole House Sources can deliver.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-28-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the follow up Joe.

I guess that there's no escaping a matrix if I want to share the sources. The more I think of it though I guess it makes sense. Otherwise I would need separate components for each location and a Harmony remote setup to talk to each configuration. Which still might be cheaper than a matrix and baluns. I have seen the Monoprice stuff is pretty cheap but I imagine you get what you pay for there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
Not sure I follow this one

If you centralise your Sources and wish to then 'share' them to multiple Zones you will still require a Matrix - either with integral Extender technology or Outputting HDMI to multiple Extenders.

You can have your 'whole house' Sources centralised and connected to 'In-Zone' AVR's, or Soundbar's and have additional 'In-Zone' Sources connected to the Zone AVR where required.

Ideally you want to have the same audio capabilities in each Zone or at least cater for the best audio the Whole House Sources can deliver.

Joe
post #8 of 12 Old 10-29-2014, 02:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you can take budget out of the mix for a moment I'd concentrate on how you and the rest of the family/household will use/interact with the system - centralised, distributed or a mix of the two all work equally well if they suit your particular 'usage'.

As Jeff mentioned earlier assuming you go the 'over CAT' route the wiring is much the same no matter which hardware solution you arrive at.

The majority of the folk we (Octava Inc) talk to tend to go all in with the Matrix solution and make use of our integrated IR Routing for Source, Matrix and AVR control rather than any form of third party control layer with some folk adding an additional source or two in the main Theatre Zone wired direct to the multi-channel AVR.

We also see a fair few folk going with a 'subscription' Set-top distributed to multiple Zones with each Zone having its own 'local' disc player and streamer (or SMART TV) for non-subscription content.

Folk who go with Distribution and minimal 'in zone' players tend to end up coming back to look for an 'upgrade' to a Matrix as they find the limitations of the system to be a pain - especially if there are a few folk in the house.

Joe

post #9 of 12 Old 10-29-2014, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

We also see a fair few folk going with a 'subscription' Set-top distributed to multiple Zones with each Zone having its own 'local' disc player and streamer (or SMART TV) for non-subscription content.

It is worth mentioning that if you were to attempt this type of setup you would need to plan ahead regarding how you handle your audio (local vs. distributed.) We have run into a number of jobs that were wired by other companies (or electricians) that didn't match the customers expectations regarding how the system would operate, so it is worth deciding early on what your long term plans are for both audio and video distribution to make sure that they are compatible, and that you have the necessary wire pulled to handle any eventuality (within reason.)
post #10 of 12 Old 10-30-2014, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

'It is worth mentioning that if you were to attempt this type of setup you would need to plan ahead regarding how you handle your audio (local vs. distributed.) ' - agreed though with the availability of budget Soundbars with HDMI/HD audio it is easier to 'recover' most pre wires

Joe

post #11 of 12 Old 10-30-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

My plan to pre-wire is to run 2 Cat6 cables and one RG6 cable to two locations in each of the bedrooms. A similar drop in the living area. I have a plan to pre-wire the living room for a 5.1 surround but no plans to set that up as I will most likely using a sound bar there. I will be pre-wiring a theater room for dolby atmos but it will be most likely a 7.1 theater for the time being. I will also pre-wire my master bath and back patio for speaker wire. For future proofing, I'm running a pvc pipe from the basement homerun area to the attic in case I need to get up there. I was also going to pre-wire a ceiling drop for an enterprise WAP from Ubiquity.

Any other suggestions?
post #12 of 12 Old 10-30-2014, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Large conduit between homerun area to family room. Another one from homerun area to theater room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page