Need Advice on Cooling A Equipment - Closet - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need Advice on Cooling A Equipment - Closet

So I was looking for some advice on cooling. I plan on putting all of my equipment in my new construction home in the Closet right by the family room. I will use an RF remote and IR transmitters for turning it all on, etc. I will be buying like a 36U Rack to mount it all (receiver, cable box, nas streamer, security camera dvr, 2 sonos amps) My question is about exhausting and intake cooling. I don't predict it to get really hot in there, but probably at least a little warm. Its only like a 5x6 closet.

I plan on having the builder do a bathroom fan with venting for at least getting the hot air outta there. So my question is two fold; 1.) Should I put it on a general purpose switch and just leave it turned on all the time? (waste of electricity) or have it wired up to like a thermostat if thats even possible?
2.) What should I do about intake cooling? Would a cold air return work fine near the bottom? Maybe a direct path from the DEN to the CLOSET so air from the den makes its way in the closet?

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wic.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	578121  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked: 901
First, you'll want to vent the exhaust to either another room or to your HVAC return - not to the outside like a bathroom exhaust fan. As you'll probably need to run this 24/7, you don't want to throw that warm, but conditioned, air outside, as it has to be replaced by outside air leaking into the house (which has to be conditioned/cooled/warmed).

Most of the equipment you're listing will be on 24/7, so it's a constant heat load in that closet. And yes, you'll want some vent in the wall or door to allow cool air into the closet.

Also, look at the closet cooling systems from Coolcomponents.com (and others) which may be less noisy than an exhaust fan (because you don't need that much circulation). Members here have also had good luck with certain Panasonic exhaust fan models (search around here...).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
First, you'll want to vent the exhaust to either another room or to your HVAC return - not to the outside like a bathroom exhaust fan. As you'll probably need to run this 24/7, you don't want to throw that warm, but conditioned, air outside, as it has to be replaced by outside air leaking into the house (which has to be conditioned/cooled/warmed).

Most of the equipment you're listing will be on 24/7, so it's a constant heat load in that closet. And yes, you'll want some vent in the wall or door to allow cool air into the closet.

Also, look at the closet cooling systems from Coolcomponents.com (and others) which may be less noisy than an exhaust fan (because you don't need that much circulation). Members here have also had good luck with certain Panasonic exhaust fan models (search around here...).

Jeff
hmm, but why would I vent warmer air into another room? Winter it may be fine, but summer not so much. Seems like I would vent this outside or in the attic or hvac. Regardless..I dont want to run it 24/7, thats the thing. So I want it tied into a thermostat.

That site is pretty cool, so thank you for that. My only concern with even this: http://www.coolcomponents.com/HiFlo-...tem_p_214.html
which seems to be a great solution...is that eventually those fans will fail as most computer style fans like that do. Not sure if it would be a pain to replace. Couldnt I just do a room to room vent with no fans I wonder? Basically just a grill like that link I ported a sentence up. It would go from the DEN to the closet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger93 View Post
hmm, but why would I vent warmer air into another room? Winter it may be fine, but summer not so much. Seems like I would vent this outside or in the attic or hvac.
It's warm, but "conditioned", even in the summer it's less work on the HVAC system. Besides, it's just "warm", not hot...

Quote:
Regardless..I dont want to run it 24/7, thats the thing. So I want it tied into a thermostat.
The gear you list is running 24/7, so the heat load is constant. You'll be better off with a setup running all the time, but at a low CFM - you can do the math to figure out what you need. Use a Kill-a-Watt meter to get the actual power consumption of the stack and you'll have the BTU value you're generating that needs to removed.

Quote:
That site is pretty cool, so thank you for that. My only concern with even this: http://www.coolcomponents.com/HiFlo-...tem_p_214.html
which seems to be a great solution...is that eventually those fans will fail as most computer style fans like that do. Not sure if it would be a pain to replace.
Mine's been running for 4 years... The attic-based blower might be a better choice (I would have used that model if it had been available at the time).

Quote:
Couldnt I just do a room to room vent with no fans I wonder? Basically just a grill like that link I ported a sentence up. It would go from the DEN to the closet.
You'll need something to move the air - you won't get much, if any, natural convection through the vents - the air isn't THAT hot...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's warm, but "conditioned", even in the summer it's less work on the HVAC system. Besides, it's just "warm", not hot...

The gear you list is running 24/7, so the heat load is constant. You'll be better off with a setup running all the time, but at a low CFM - you can do the math to figure out what you need. Use a Kill-a-Watt meter to get the actual power consumption of the stack and you'll have the BTU value you're generating that needs to removed.

Mine's been running for 4 years... The attic-based blower might be a better choice (I would have used that model if it had been available at the time).

You'll need something to move the air - you won't get much, if any, natural convection through the vents - the air isn't THAT hot...
So maybe something like this? http://www.coolcomponents.com/Ceilin...nit_p_314.html

that room is 5.5x6x9, so almost 300cubic feet of space. Based on this: http://www.efi.org/factoids/bathroom_sizing.html
I would only need like a 60CFM fan. Thoughts?

I'm pretty much in an endless possibility since the home hasnt started construction yet. However, I have to figure this out, so I can get quoted from the builder and HVAC contractor on what it will cost to get it all installed, specially the hvac venting, etc.

You seem to know quite a bit, so I'm kinda following your lead as this isnt my area of expertise. I just prefer a thermostat regardless if we think it will be running all of the time. I dont wanna spend 1K or anything, but am open to between $300-500
post #6 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Yes, I have two of those. One in my equipment closet, the other above my rack (in-wall) in the theater. The equipment closet runs 24x7, the theater one is switched to the theater stack.

Quote:
You seem to know quite a bit, so I'm kinda following your lead as this isnt my area of expertise. I just prefer a thermostat regardless if we think it will be running all of the time. I dont wanna spend 1K or anything, but am open to between $300-500
The solutions from CoolComponents are in that range... And the power consumption of these low-speed units are not enough to worry about, electricity-wise (like $10/year). Payback on a thermostat module is probably several years!

post #7 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, I have two of those. One in my equipment closet, the other above my rack (in-wall) in the theater. The equipment closet runs 24x7, the theater one is switched to the theater stack.

The solutions from CoolComponents are in that range... And the power consumption of these low-speed units are not enough to worry about, electricity-wise (like $10/year). Payback on a thermostat module is probably several years!
So are saying that with something like that, I could save some money on electrician costs and just pay the HVAC guy to run some duct work? The only drawback then is if this in the ceiling..I gotta run it to some sorta electrical plug to plug it into right? Do I wire up a plug in the ceiling then? Maybe just forget about the thermostat? Ya i guess my concern was electrical usage and what these things will cost me monthly..but u are saying its really not a factor. This is all very interesting. So that fan pushes over 100CFM, and more than likely its quiter than a bathroom fan.

EDIT: That fan is $200 tho. Eeek!
http://www.techsupplydepot.com/Cool-...nit_p_430.html

The quote I got back to do the bathroom fan and venting from our builder was $400 out the door.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
So are saying that with something like that, I could save some money on electrician costs and just pay the HVAC guy to run some duct work?
Yeah, I just fed the 12V low-volt line to the fan unit from the wall wart. The HVAC guy ran a vent line to the return trunk.

Quote:
Do I wire up a plug in the ceiling then? Maybe just forget about the thermostat?
I just ran from an outlet in the room, if there's attic access, that's easier. And this is another reason I like their new blower model, as the fan unit itself can be placed near the HVAC equipment to pull air (easier to wire and maintain, and probably quieter).

Quote:
Ya i guess my concern was electrical usage and what these things will cost me monthly..but u are saying its really not a factor.
Quick math gave 84kW/year for 24/7 operation. Even if the thermostat cut that usage by half, that's only saving $5/year - could take a decade to pay off a thermostat investment!

post #9 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I just fed the 12V low-volt line to the fan unit from the wall wart. The HVAC guy ran a vent line to the return trunk.

I just ran from an outlet in the room, if there's attic access, that's easier. And this is another reason I like their new blower model, as the fan unit itself can be placed near the HVAC equipment to pull air (easier to wire and maintain, and probably quieter).

Quick math gave 84kW/year for 24/7 operation. Even if the thermostat cut that usage by half, that's only saving $5/year - could take a decade to pay off a thermostat investment!
Ok well I guess that exhaust piece is neither here nor there. At the end of the day, I can keep it how it is using the bathroom fan as quoted by the builder and then use something like this for the intake: http://www.coolcomponents.com/HiFlo-...tem_p_214.html

That was my concern was the intake bit. I'd still need a receptacle to plug it into, but if I put that on the north DEN wall that goes buds up against the WIC closet, I should be able to take any air from the DEN and use it as intake air into the WIC with that fan.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Ok well I guess that exhaust piece is neither here nor there. At the end of the day, I can keep it how it is using the bathroom fan as quoted by the builder and then use something like this for the intake: http://www.coolcomponents.com/HiFlo-...tem_p_214.html
I'm not sure you're understanding what jautor was trying to tell you. Using a bathroom exhaust fan, exhausting the closet air to unconditioned space (attic or outside) is a BAD idea for something that (potentially) runs multiple hours a day. Exhaust fans are used in bathrooms because you need to get the moisture (or smells) out of the house. But all you have is air that's been heated slightly. Pushing that outside, forcing the house to pull in unconditioned air somewhere else, is a the wrong thing to do. The builder quoted you the wrong thing, because he doesn't understand venting equipment closets.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought the quietest bathroom fan I could find, its big.. but quiet. Mounted it in the ceiling of my equipment closet, and piped it to another conditioned space. Works like a champ. I have it running 24/7... didnt want to mess with a thermostat. Cooler electronics last longer
post #12 of 12 Old 03-02-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Mime has no cooling in a 6x6 closet. But it does have a double height. 13ft ceiling.
It stays cool. Most devices poweraave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page