HELP: Home Theater/ Multi room airplay setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-06-2015, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HELP: Home Theater/ Multi room airplay setup

My parents are building a house and they are completely helpless when it comes to technology. I am usually able to help them, but I am not very knowledgeable about home theater and audio setups.

Just as a precursor, they are by no means audiophiles and in fact my father hates surround sound when watching TV or movies.

As of now my basic plan for their setup is:

TV audio (living room): A high quality sound bar with a sub

Music: 3 zones, all connected to one source, must have Apple AirPlay.
Zone 1: living room/kitchen. either 4 or 6 in ceiling speakers (my mother prefers the built in look).
Zone 2: outdoor deck area. 2 speakers
Zone 3: roof top deck. 2 speakers

The reasoning for the separate TV audio and music is so someone can watch TV (w/ sound bar) while music is playing on the deck. Plus my father would not like the TV sound coming from the ceiling anyway.

The goal is to be able to play all three zones at once, or select one or two of the zones to be playing.

As for an amp/receiver, I am really lost.
-Should I get a full A/V receiver that has AirPlay built in (i.e. Yamaha RX-V475 5.1-Channel Network AV Receiver ) and use something like 'SS4 Speaker Selector Impedance Matching 1 Input 4 Output' or 'Russound 4 pr. Speaker Selector, Single Source SS-4.2' , even though they will never use any of the visual components of the receiver... seems like overkill

Or do I just need an amp that is AirPlay compatible/ maybe use an Apple AirPort Express.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. I know that using a sound bar and in ceiling speakers are never recommended, but my for my parents needs I think they are more than fine. Also they do not want to spend a ton of money on this setup, so trying to stay cost effective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-06-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Do some reading in this forum, you'll see tons of threads asking all the same things...

First, during construction the most important thing is to get all the wiring in place. That will enable a lot of possible solutions, and the gear answers may change by the time they're ready to move in. Wired correctly, you'll be able to use any of the products on the market.

The best answer is likely a pair of Sonos Connect:Amps (one for the outdoor areas - two speaker pairs attached to one unit; the other for the kitchen), plus a Sonos Playbar (with the matching sub) for TV audio and living room speakers.

Even though he doesn't "like" surround sound, wire the living room for it anyway - if he's only experienced it done poorly (which is very possible!), he may change his mind.

I wouldn't recommend anything "cheap" or relying solely on Airplay for anyone old enough to be parents (and not on a reality show because they're 18). Usability is key for normal people. You want this to work without getting phone calls. Which is why I used Sonos and TiVo for my parents' setup...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-07-2015, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I agree with Jautor (again.) Don't rely on a surround receiver as controller when helping people who aren't tech savvy. A full suite of Sonos would be the easiest way to create a useable, and still high quality, system.

If I were designing it I would recommend 3 Sonos Connects, a Playbar and Sub (for the living room TV), and a Sonance 12-50 amplifier (or similar) to provide power. This is my "go to" Sonos setup, and it provides a ton of flexibility. The amp I mentioned has a number of significant upsides for an install like yours. It has two Buss inputs (as well as locals), it is stable at 2-ohms, and bridgeable (8-ohms only.) This gives you a number of ways to design your system, as well as some overhead for future expansion in most cases. In this case:

LR/Kitchen Connect ->Buss Input A and use that to drive 6 channels (2 for each pair of speakers in that zone)
Patio Connect -> Buss B - Bridge two zones to provide that pair of speakers 100w/ch
Roof Connect - > Local input for channels 11/12 to drive rooftop speakers

Playbar and Sub can be separate, but combined with everything else for music if so desired (probably worth it to have the sub available.)

This probably won't be considered "cost-effective" for them, but it would create a very capable system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-09-2015, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Both are good solid similar recommendations.
As XJBaylor notes this might not be considered the most cosy effective but it will be highly capable and thus will be used.
A more cludgy system gets filed under too hard and collects dust.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-11-2015, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Both are good solid similar recommendations.
As XJBaylor notes this might not be considered the most cosy effective but it will be highly capable and thus will be used.
A more cludgy system gets filed under too hard and collects dust.
Amen. I will admit my option may seem like overkill, and Connect:Amps would work just fine, but in either case the system design from a usability standpoint is good. They may not need the power/flexibility the additional amp brings, but at least give them a usable interface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page