2 zone audio and video - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-09-2015, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 17
2 zone audio and video

I am helping a friend with his basement and wanted some input on things to make sure that I am thinking through this correctly. I know that there are probably several ways of going about this and I am open to opinions as well.

They are going to have a bar area that is going to have 2 separate tv's. They are going to use this for mostly watching sports games from a cable box. They are ok with this being the same source at all times. They also want to have 4 in ceiling speakers for music mostly and also have the capability to tie this in to the audio of the two tv's as well.

Secondly they are going to have a projection screen with 5.1 audio. This is going to be separate from the other 2 tv's but they would also like music capability here as well

I was thinking 2 separate receivers both with streaming capabilities. For the area with the 4 speakers and the 2 TV's I was thinking of doing a 1x2 switch from Monoprice or something to allow them to only use one cable box. I would put a volume control not he wall so they can control volume. If that is to much work I will most likely be setting up roomie remote on a dedicated iPad for them to control volume and sources in both areas.

Let me know if I am thinking in the right path here or if I am missing something that is much easier. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-09-2015, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

also forgot to mention that they wan the front speakers for the projection area to be in wall speakers and I am looking for some suggestions on those. Thanks
post #3 of 10 Old 03-09-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 897
One of the newer AVRs (Denon?) from a few of the major manufacturers have a built-in 2-zone HDMI matrix, and most any of the 7.1+ AVRs will support a Zone2 output.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-09-2015, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
One of the newer AVRs (Denon?) from a few of the major manufacturers have a built-in 2-zone HDMI matrix, and most any of the 7.1+ AVRs will support a Zone2 output.
I am aware of this but I did not think that the zone two would handle 4 speakers. Correct me if I am wrong. I have a denon 3313 and have this capability but I didn't think I could have 4 speakers powered by it.

I was also thinking that it may be easier for this user to have two separate receivers that are not has high of quality
post #5 of 10 Old 03-09-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcj7 View Post
I am aware of this but I did not think that the zone two would handle 4 speakers. Correct me if I am wrong. I have a denon 3313 and have this capability but I didn't think I could have 4 speakers powered by it.
Check to see if the AVR's amplifier(s) are 4-ohm stable. If so, you can connect two pairs of 8-ohm speakers in parallel.

If not, a simple 2-pair impedance-matching speaker selector will take care of this...

Quote:
I was also thinking that it may be easier for this user to have two separate receivers that are not has high of quality
You'll end up with a bunch of external HDMI switches, etc. and its certainly not easier to use...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-09-2015, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
also forgot to mention that they wan the front speakers for the projection area to be in wall speakers and I am looking for some suggestions on those. Thanks
Monitor Audio Platinum in-walls...unless they have a budget. Do you have an idea of the budget for the entire project, and how they would like that to break down? There are a lot of cool solutions, but what they intend to spend will play a big role in just how cool, capable and easy-to-use it will end up.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-09-2015, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJBaylor View Post
Monitor Audio Platinum in-walls...unless they have a budget. Do you have an idea of the budget for the entire project, and how they would like that to break down? There are a lot of cool solutions, but what they intend to spend will play a big role in just how cool, capable and easy-to-use it will end up.
I just found out that they have a budget of about 4k. Also the 4k includes the projector, screen and cabling. They are going to be hard pressed to fit everything in at that budget. An AV company gave them a quote for 6k but only included the screen, projector, speakers for 5.1 and setup.

I was looking at the Denon x3000 from accessories 4 less. I could use this with a 1x2 matrix switch from moonrise to allow audio and video for the 2 separate tv's in the bar. I was also looking at Monoprice for the in wall speakers but I am not sure who they sound. I have used them for surrounds before and they are fine but not for the LCR.

Let me know what you guys think. Also I am going to look in to those in wall speakers
post #8 of 10 Old 03-10-2015, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 140
So 4k for

Projector
5.1 speakers
Screen
AVR

2 tv's
4 speakers
Amp for 4 speakers
2 tv wall mounts
And cables

And optimally this needs some better control system.

That's an impossible budget.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-10-2015, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
So 4k for

Projector
5.1 speakers
Screen
AVR

2 tv's
4 speakers
Amp for 4 speakers
2 tv wall mounts
And cables

And optimally this needs some better control system.

That's an impossible budget.
they already have the 2 tv's. I agree though this is going to be pretty hard to get to
post #10 of 10 Old 03-11-2015, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
they already have the 2 tv's. I agree though this is going to be pretty hard to get to
More a case of do the tv's and prewire the projector for when the budget is there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page