Nuvo under Legrand abandon existing customer base with new Portfolio players. - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 171 Old 03-31-2018, 08:35 PM
Newbie
 
aegorenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tustin CA
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What about the Barix Exstreamer?

I am a new poster on this forum who has been following this issue as I also installed a Nuvo GC 9 years ago. Saw that the Barix Exstreamer is an alternative to the nuvoNet adapter and noted many on EBay (or available new). Any thoughts?
aegorenberg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 171 Old 04-02-2018, 01:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegorenberg View Post
I am a new poster on this forum who has been following this issue as I also installed a Nuvo GC 9 years ago. Saw that the Barix Exstreamer is an alternative to the nuvoNet adapter and noted many on EBay (or available new). Any thoughts?
Hello,
I am not familiar with this product.
What would you like to use it for?
How would you select music?
What kind of communication would you like to do over the serial port with the Nuvo GC?

If it can run Google Cast with an api easily accessible through the serial port, it could be an interesting alternative to Chromecast Audio.
Cheers,
Bob

Last edited by Bobone; 04-02-2018 at 01:37 AM.
Bobone is online now  
post #153 of 171 Old 04-02-2018, 03:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 16
MPS4 - disc image?

I had a big scare today!

My MPS4 didn’t work. “Connecting to source”
I could access the config page but not the app, nor the flash interface.

Called Nuvo support and got EXCELLENT help. Five stars.
After 6 reboots and SW installations, I was back on track again.
The friendly support guy told me that he had run chkdsk.exe several times.
He also told me that if the disk crashes it could not be replaced for licensing reasons (Autonomic, not MS).

So, this got me thinking:
1) I would like to proactively run chkdsk myself in order to be ahead of an eventual crash. How did the technician do this and and how could I get inside my machine?
2) would it not be possible to do an image of the whole HD and thereby be able to replace a defective disk?

Anyone know?
Bobone is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #154 of 171 Old 04-02-2018, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: NW Houston, TX
Posts: 10,851
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegorenberg View Post
I am a new poster on this forum who has been following this issue as I also installed a Nuvo GC 9 years ago. Saw that the Barix Exstreamer is an alternative to the nuvoNet adapter and noted many on EBay (or available new). Any thoughts?
The Barix Exstreamer is NOT an alternative to the NuVoNet adapter, but rather, an alternative to the "network-based digital audio server/streamer" units like the MPS4, but I would say that product (which I assume has long been discontinued) has probably no useful application today...

In terms of "NuVoNet" - there is nothing in common... It's an Ethernet stream receiver.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
jautor is offline  
post #155 of 171 Old 05-31-2018, 11:14 PM
Member
 
SoonerDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Don't know if anyone here can help me. Have Nuvo MPS4 hooked up to concerto whole house audio. Running Music Port Media Sync from a macbook to keep itunes music synced to the MPS4.



Problem is with Spotify. If I go to keypads or to the iphone NuvoMusicPort app, I can see spotify under radio sources. I can see my account. I can search for specific songs. But when I go to My Library ---> Playlists it just says Nothing found. Can't figure out why it is not seeing my spotify playlists.



Under pandora all my playlists show up, but not on Spotify which I use MUCH more frequently.


Any ideas? THANKS!!
SoonerDoc is offline  
post #156 of 171 Old 06-06-2018, 12:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Noticed the same issue. The two Spotify implementations seem to use two diff catalogs as I can create a Spotify playlist in the Nuvo app, but it doesn’t turn up in the Spotify app. The MPS4 SW is not updated anymore.

Anyway, I find that buying a little ChromeCast Audio fo 35$ is a much better experience. You will love it.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-hom...servation.html

Last edited by Bobone; 06-06-2018 at 04:09 AM.
Bobone is online now  
post #157 of 171 Old 06-08-2018, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jimim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NEPA
Posts: 2,254
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 154
my playlists are gone from spotify on the music port since a reboot. can't do any searches anymore too. finds nothing. i think it's broke for good.
jimim is offline  
post #158 of 171 Old 06-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
my playlists are gone from spotify on the music port since a reboot. can't do any searches anymore too. finds nothing. i think it's broke for good.
Spotify Music Guide still works...
Regarding the Playliststs,it could be worth posting on a Spotify forum? Must be happening to many old implementations.

Last edited by Bobone; 06-08-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Bobone is online now  
post #159 of 171 Old 08-14-2018, 06:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone know if the MG1 is still being developed? Sent a PM to Joe but wanted to ask in public as well.
Nuvofan is offline  
post #160 of 171 Old 08-14-2018, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smoothtlk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,247
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 84
what's an MG1? Who's Joe?
smoothtlk is offline  
post #161 of 171 Old 08-14-2018, 09:51 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
what's an MG1? Who's Joe?
He is in this thread, see for example post number 132
Nuvofan is offline  
post #162 of 171 Old 08-19-2018, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jmorris644's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,277
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi all,

Yes, I am still here. Just posted on a couple of the other threads. For some reason I was ot getting any notifications from AVS.

I have been continuing to work on the MG products. I have been delayed a TON because of Sonos. They announced a new API last October and I have been waiting. I just received an email asking for more patience.

It currently works with Sonos and the new Nuvo Players. Bob (Bobone) has asked that I integrate it with Chromecast. I will get with him to more fully understand what that implementation might look like.

If anyone wishes to experiment with a MG setup, I would happy to oblige. The cost would be minimal as it is basically a Raspberry PI and a USB to Serial cable.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
jmorris644 is offline  
post #163 of 171 Old 09-01-2018, 11:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello Bob

Yes, although there is no metadata displayed on the controller.

My system users a NuvoDock as the source in which I have loaded an old iPhone 5s (30pin). On this I have installed CYDIA which is a package manager mobile app for iOS that enables you to find and install software packages on jailbroken iPhones, (I am not sure in the US but in the UK you can pay a small fee ($10) and have your iPhone unlocked from the Telco provider instead). Once CYDIA is installed you can add a package called AirSpeaker which turns the old iPhone into an Airplay speaker. It runs as a system daemon so it's always “on” and does not lock up when the iphone lockscreen goes on. No reason why Apple can’t do this natively through the Appstore (they did for a while before Apple later took it down!)

You can now connect to the “speaker” via your current iPhone or iPad and play music through the Nuvo system. This works with Appleplay and TuneIn radio, I have not tested it with Spotify, but I assume it would work as its connected through the device.

MY SYSTEM

iPhone 5s
NuvoDock NV-RIPS
6 x OLED Controller - UK Style NV-E6GCP-UK
1 x NV-E6GMS-UK

steve
orlandojones111 is offline  
post #164 of 171 Old 09-01-2018, 11:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Alexa through the NuvoDock via Bluetooth

Hello All

Since my previous post (#163) I have replaced my iPhone with a 30pin Bluetooth receiver and connected my Alexa Echo Dot and now control my music via voice control. I use a BMR Bluetooth receiver as the range is much better than some receivers I have used.

Steve

MY SYSTEM

Alexa Echo dot
NuvoDock NV-RIPS
6 x OLED Controller - UK Style NV-E6GCP-UK
1 x NV-E6GMS-UK
orlandojones111 is offline  
post #165 of 171 Old 09-01-2018, 12:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post
Hi all,

Yes, I am still here. Just posted on a couple of the other threads. For some reason I was ot getting any notifications from AVS.

I have been continuing to work on the MG products. I have been delayed a TON because of Sonos. They announced a new API last October and I have been waiting. I just received an email asking for more patience.

It currently works with Sonos and the new Nuvo Players. Bob (Bobone) has asked that I integrate it with Chromecast. I will get with him to more fully understand what that implementation might look like.

If anyone wishes to experiment with a MG setup, I would happy to oblige. The cost would be minimal as it is basically a Raspberry PI and a USB to Serial cable.

Joe
Hello Joe

I would love to experiment with your MG setup, I already have a Raspberry PI 3b+ and a USB to Serial cable. I had been experimenting with various ways of connecting via the Nuvodock but clearly, there are limitations and had started down the road of connecting up something more robust. At the moment I have spent my time working with the libreELEC mediacenter on RPi and connecting to it via wifi and bluetooth so really interested.


Steve
orlandojones111 is offline  
post #166 of 171 Old 09-03-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jmorris644's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,277
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandojones111 View Post
Hello Joe

I would love to experiment with your MG setup, I already have a Raspberry PI 3b+ and a USB to Serial cable. I had been experimenting with various ways of connecting via the Nuvodock but clearly, there are limitations and had started down the road of connecting up something more robust. At the moment I have spent my time working with the libreELEC mediacenter on RPi and connecting to it via wifi and bluetooth so really interested.


Steve
Hey Steve, I will definitely be in touch. I am currently updating the software and adding the CCA capabilities.

I am also working with a couple of other guys to encrypt the software distribution. IT is written in node js so I don't want to distribute it as source code.

Can you please send me a PM so I can more easily keep track of people that wish to try it in beta? IT is also great that you already have the hardware needed. I will just need to send you a SC image when I am ready.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
jmorris644 is offline  
post #167 of 171 Old 10-15-2018, 05:21 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Smyrna, GA
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Send a message via AIM to Carcomm911
Good Evening Group, New user and first time posting to the thread. I built our house back in 2007/2008. I personally pulled all of the low voltage wires; 2.5 miles to be exact. Tel, CAT5, CCTV, CATV, Alarm, & Whole House Audio/Nuvo Grand Concerto. A few weeks ago we had a storm and a lightening strike very close to our house. It took out our ATT Modem, 65" TV, one Zone on our alarm panel, the Pool control panel, AND the Grand Concerto. Yes, all of them had surge protectors, but this strike was so close that it shook the house. I ordered a replacement GC off eBay, but all but one zone was dead, so I returned it. I am aware of Nuvo/Legrand's $400 flat rate repair, but when I called them, they told me they were 6-8 weeks out for any new repairs. For our sources, we have the T2 Dual FM tuner, the Deck TV audio, our main PC audio, iPod, and a Police Scanner. My forum post is basically two-part;

Here is what the GC is showing when turned on; All zones come on just fine, I can change sources on all keypads, control the iPod, change the FM channels, but on all zones, when I turn the volume up there is no audio. If I turn it up almost to MAX, I hear a really fast ticking sound.

1) Can anybody identify what they "think" the issue might be? I am pretty tech savy and well versed in soldering/desoldering components. I have taken the cover off and am pretty sure I have verified correct voltage coming out of the power supply.

2) Can anyone recommend a comparable replacement for the entire system? Preferably one where I wouldn't have to change out the double gang boxes in the wall. I have seen several setups in this thread, but really am looking for one that is most similar to the GC and it's UI.

I found a reputable Nuvo seller on eBay that is offering me a GC that just came back from Nuvo repair for $425 shipped, so that is an option instead of waiting the 6-8 weeks for Nuvo to repair ours.

Thanks to anyone in advance who might be able to offer some suggestions.
Carcomm911 is offline  
post #168 of 171 Old 10-19-2018, 06:45 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobone View Post
I had a big scare today!

My MPS4 didn’t work. “Connecting to source”
I could access the config page but not the app, nor the flash interface.

Called Nuvo support and got EXCELLENT help. Five stars.
After 6 reboots and SW installations, I was back on track again.
The friendly support guy told me that he had run chkdsk.exe several times.
He also told me that if the disk crashes it could not be replaced for licensing reasons (Autonomic, not MS).

So, this got me thinking:
1) I would like to proactively run chkdsk myself in order to be ahead of an eventual crash. How did the technician do this and and how could I get inside my machine?
2) would it not be possible to do an image of the whole HD and thereby be able to replace a defective disk?

Anyone know?
I changed the 640 GB harddisk of my MSP4 Elite with a 1TB SSD through a low-level copy process a year ago. Plus increased the RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB. Kept the old disk with the system files and everything on it just in case. Everything works perfectly. It is a simple operation that any computer technician can perform in less than a couple of hours. I would actually highly recommend such an "upgrade", as the original Seagate HDD of the MSP4 is of a kind prone to degradation (not the most expensive model at the time either) and will certainly stop working with time.
nyankov is offline  
post #169 of 171 Old 10-23-2018, 08:59 AM
Member
 
Edge540's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyankov View Post
I changed the 640 GB harddisk of my MSP4 Elite with a 1TB SSD through a low-level copy process a year ago. Plus increased the RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB. Kept the old disk with the system files and everything on it just in case. Everything works perfectly. It is a simple operation that any computer technician can perform in less than a couple of hours. I would actually highly recommend such an "upgrade", as the original Seagate HDD of the MSP4 is of a kind prone to degradation (not the most expensive model at the time either) and will certainly stop working with time.

Hi,
I've been using the MSP4 Elite for a few years now. Except for a song "repeating" glitch while using Sirius once in a while, the unit has worked great. I am becoming a bit concerned, however, that something may fail, especially if Nuvo used the Seagate drive. It seems prudent to replace the drive, as you did, as a preventive measure.

Was the drive replacement really as simple as cloning the current drive to an SSD? I haven't opened my unit so is there an other connection for the new SSD inside for cloning purposes and if not, how is this accomplished?

Thanks
Eric
Edge540 is offline  
post #170 of 171 Old 11-25-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jmorris644's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,277
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi everyone,

I am finally about ready to sign up some beta testers for the MG1.

If you already have either a Sonos connect or a Nuvo Player than the investment will only be a raspberry PI and a USB-serial cable.

For those of you not familiar, the MG1 acts as a command interface between a Nuve Essentia or Grand Concerto and either a Sonos Connect or a Nuvo Player. The MG1 allows the keypads to perform all basic transport functions as well as display current song information form the Sonos or Nuvo Player.

IMO, the combination of a MG1 and either a Sonos Connect or a Nuvo Player comes very close to replacing the MPS4. The main difference is that you will have to use wither the Sonos app or the Nuvo Player app to change the streaming source or the playlist. Once selected though, the keypads can do the transport work.

Please PM me if interested.

THanks

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
jmorris644 is offline  
post #171 of 171 Old 02-02-2019, 02:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandojones111 View Post
Hello Bob

Yes, although there is no metadata displayed on the controller.

My system users a NuvoDock as the source in which I have loaded an old iPhone 5s (30pin). On this I have installed CYDIA which is a package manager mobile app for iOS that enables you to find and install software packages on jailbroken iPhones, (I am not sure in the US but in the UK you can pay a small fee ($10) and have your iPhone unlocked from the Telco provider instead). Once CYDIA is installed you can add a package called AirSpeaker which turns the old iPhone into an Airplay speaker. It runs as a system daemon so it's always “on” and does not lock up when the iphone lockscreen goes on. No reason why Apple can’t do this natively through the Appstore (they did for a while before Apple later took it down!)

You can now connect to the “speaker” via your current iPhone or iPad and play music through the Nuvo system. This works with Appleplay and TuneIn radio, I have not tested it with Spotify, but I assume it would work as its connected through the device.

MY SYSTEM

iPhone 5s
NuvoDock NV-RIPS
6 x OLED Controller - UK Style NV-E6GCP-UK
1 x NV-E6GMS-UK

steve
Just an update on this setup. I replaced the iPhone with a 4th Gen iPod touch with Airspeaker, there is no music on the iPod itself but iTunes match is enabled and all the music is in the cloud. I can control the iPod using the control pads and the song metadata is displayed, there is a slow pause when the first song is played as the iPod buffers the song from the cloud but other than this it works fine. When I want I can connect to this iPod via airplay and stream music to it from other sources such as Amazon music unlimited but when I do this the metadata freezes on the last song played via the iPod itself.
orlandojones111 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
fail , legrand

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off