Remodel Room HDMI 4k long run recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-29-2016, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question Remodel Room HDMI 4k long run recommendations

Evening all... I'm sure this has been asked and answered, so if you have the link please reply with that so I don't start a "reinvent the wheel" thread. I'm remodeling my Living/Dining/Kitchen area and will be opening up the walls. That said, I want to just have my TV mounted on the wall and then hide all my components in the basement, problem is below the TV is a crawl space area that I'll have to cross to get to my components. That said the run of HDMI may be 30+ feet, what do you all recommend as to not loose signal quality? Will I need a HDBaseT HDMI 4K ? Is that pretty much my only option? I do plan on running CAT6 (which i have a spool of), un-shielded.
Also what components/brands/models would you recommend for an IR extender for my receiver and other components?

Thanks again and apologize if asked an answered, I did try to search....

Last edited by nutshellml; 03-29-2016 at 06:10 PM. Reason: modify with new thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-29-2016, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutshellml View Post
Evening all... I'm sure this has been asked and answered, so if you have the link please reply with that so I don't start a "reinvent the wheel" thread. I'm remodeling my Living/Dining/Kitchen area and will be opening up the walls. That said, I want to just have my TV mounted on the wall and then hide all my components in the basement, problem is below the TV is a crawl space area that I'll have to cross to get to my components. That said the run of HDMI may be 30+ feet, what do you all recommend as to not loose signal quality? Will I need a HDBaseT HDMI 4K ? Is that pretty much my only option? I do plan on running CAT6 (which i have a spool of), un-shielded.
Also what components/brands/models would you recommend for an IR extender for my receiver and other components?

Thanks again and apologize if asked an answered, I did try to search....
I doubt there is a reasonable HDBaseT 4K solution at the moment. There may be an HDMI cable but you will need to do some research in this forum, the Industry forum or at HDMI.org. Please report your findings especially if you buy a cable.

Otherwise you can wait, run conduit or go 1080 FHD until 4K matures.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #3 of 10 Old 03-30-2016, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I have/had the same problem.

I installed a 40' Blue Jeans cable, and will wait for a good 4K solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-30-2016, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I have/had the same problem.

I installed a 40' Blue Jeans cable, and will wait for a good 4K solution.

Both Atlona and Snapav (Binary) have some good 4k HDBaseT solutions on the market
post #5 of 10 Old 03-30-2016, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Question

Morning all... Thank you for the replies, but I'm more confused, ha...

@Neurorad you mentioned you just used a long HDMI cable, can I ask why the Blue Jean brand and also why you didn't go HDBaseT?

@Postmoderndesign why is it that there are many companies that state they have an HDBAseT 4k solution? Am I missing something in the SPECS?

I'm also looking for a good IR solution to hide my components, any recommendations on that too?

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by nutshellml; 03-30-2016 at 06:47 AM. Reason: modify content
post #6 of 10 Old 03-30-2016, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 687
There are extensive discussions on this in various threads. One pertinent one is:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hd...eep-color.html

There are no HDBT solutions currently to support the full 18gbps data rate that 4K 60Hz 4-4-4 HDR require. There are some possible HDMI solutions, but none have been consistently successful, especially at distances greater than 25 to 30 feet.

Basically, it seems that the infrastructure isn't quite there yet for full 4K implementation.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #7 of 10 Old 03-30-2016, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 687
This is a huge JVC thread, but you can find some relevant discussion in some of the recent pages:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...thread-27.html

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #8 of 10 Old 03-30-2016, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Morning all... Thank you for the replies, but I'm more confused, ha...

@Neurorad you mentioned you just used a long HDMI cable, can I ask why the Blue Jean brand and also why you didn't go HDBaseT?

@Postmoderndesign why is it that there are many companies that state they have an HDBAseT 4k solution? Am I missing something in the SPECS?

I'm also looking for a good IR solution to hide my components, any recommendations on that too?

Thanks again!!!
I think I wrote no reasonable HDBaseT solutions currently. By reasonable I meant price and I meant 18gbps data rate that 4K 60Hz 4-4-4, which I believe is the version of 4K called Ultra High Definition.

Put in a run of Carlon SCJ4X1C-50 RESI GUARD CONDUIT 2-Inch 50 feet and you can pull cable in a year or two-or a decade, whenever this 4K business settles down. The conduit will cost you a little over $100

Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 03-30-2016 at 07:38 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-30-2016, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, the thread links were helpful...

So in sum, it seems like a straight HDMI HS/CAT2 cable would be the way to go. Seems as if it's only "certified" until 15' but many make 30,40' cables. Another question is am I currently overthinking the 4k right now and would I even be able to utilize the technology running through my Yamaha 779 receiver via my Verizon Fios (no 4k content).

Maybe just run a HDMI cable and take advantage of 1080p now then upgrade down the road like you mentioned. I will definitely run 1.5-2" conduit.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-30-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks guys, the thread links were helpful...

So in sum, it seems like a straight HDMI HS/CAT2 cable would be the way to go. Seems as if it's only "certified" until 15' but many make 30,40' cables. Another question is am I currently overthinking the 4k right now and would I even be able to utilize the technology running through my Yamaha 779 receiver via my Verizon Fios (no 4k content).

Maybe just run a HDMI cable and take advantage of 1080p now then upgrade down the road like you mentioned. I will definitely run 1.5-2" conduit.
HDMI HS/CAT2 confused me so I assume you are confused. HDMI is a different cable from category cable.

Verizon, uverse, etc. send out a highly compressed data stream over the internet which you can get to your AVR or display from your modem usually to a combined router and then over an ethernet port. The AVR, for example uncompresses the data and sends it on via an HDMI cable to the display. The problem with HDMI cables is that they mostly, currently are best for short runs. So for distances like 30 feet or more we need Category cables. However the compressed signal cannot pass over category cable. (Why not?-beyond my pay grade.) That is where you get to 18.2 gigabytes per second of data for ultra high definition (UHD). To carry that much information you would need two Cat6a cables or perhaps one Cat7 cable. However the specs for Cat7 are still being developed. The purpose of HDBaseT is to allow a unified network throughout the house which can distribute various formats of video, audio, IR and data to different rooms and get the desired results.

I understand this is complex and has a lot to understand. Maybe someone else can explain it better.

But you are correct, the conduit is a good idea for future cable runs and you can get a network solution for full HD, (1080p) and DTSHD and this level of audio. However I do not believe your original post was about setting up a network solution, rather just a long cable run to a single room.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page