Best amp to drive 3 zones, 4 speakers each - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By jautor
  • 2 Post By TheWigglerSpot

post #1 of 11 Old 07-05-2016, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best amp to drive 3 zones, 4 speakers each

Hi,

We already purchased 12 B&W CCM663 in-ceiling speakers and plan to wire each set of 4 speakers as a zone to its own SONOS CONNECT.

I've read some recommendations for the Parasound ZoneMaster 1250 (did not purchase yet) for all of our amplification needs.

Does anyone have experience with the Parasound or can alternatively recommend a different amp/setup?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-06-2016, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by egram View Post
Hi,

We already purchased 12 B&W CCM663 in-ceiling speakers and plan to wire each set of 4 speakers as a zone to its own SONOS CONNECT.
Why not just use a Connect:Amp for each zone?

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-06-2016, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Hi,

I've read some recommendations for the Parasound ZoneMaster 1250 (did not purchase yet) for all of our amplification needs.

Does anyone have experience with the Parasound or can alternatively recommend a different amp/setup?

Thanks

I have had the ZoneMaster 1250 for over a year now. It is powering ceiling speakers (Atmos, etc.) and I couldn't be more pleased with the flexibility and sound quality. It has been a great investment.

"Every time I put the line in the water I said a Hail Mary and every time I said a Hail Mary I caught a fish." - Fredo
Sony XBR65A1E-Marantz AV8802a-Oppo BDP-203-Parasound Halo A21 & A31-ZoneMaster 1250 -Zamp v.3 (x2) -Paradigm Studio Sub-15 -Vandersteen Signature 2ce Mk II -Vandersteen VCC-2 center -Energy RVSS Surrounds -Yamaha NS-IC800 ceiling Atmos(x4)- Furman Elite 15i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-06-2016, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You're definitely going to want to go with that amp. I could make some recommendations that are a little less expensive, but you're already satisfied with the quality of that particular product and your gut is telling you to go with it. So go with it! It's definitely the right type of product and you're going to get a power output that's superior to other amps. It's the right call.

James Babin - System designer myEasytek
Last Post: Low Voltage Wiring Guide
post #5 of 11 Old 07-06-2016, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Why not just use a Connect:Amp for each zone?
Thanks for the idea @jautor . I'd consider it but what it means is committing to Sonos long-term. Having a separate amp gives me the flexibility to try something else in the future.

@dmarcink , @JT Babin - Thanks for the great feedback!

One question regarding the amp power - The speakers are 8Ω each, is the ZoneMaster the right amp in that sense? I pasted the specs for the ZoneMaster, wish I had a better understanding of amp/speaker/power/impedance relationship.

Code:
* Universal amplifier for applications from 50 to 200 watts
* 24 speaker connections (A and B outputs for all 12 channels)
* High current for stable operation at 2 Ohms
* Channel pairs are bridgeable for up to 200 watts @ 4 Ohms
* Class AB input stage plus premium Class D power stage
* Independent audio sensing triggers, one for each zone
* 6 Independent 12 volt trigger inputs, one for each zone
* Looping 12 volt trigger outputs for each zone
Thanks again everyone
post #6 of 11 Old 07-06-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the idea @jautor . I'd consider it but what it means is committing to Sonos long-term. Having a separate amp gives me the flexibility to try something else in the future.
True, but with three Connect units you're pretty committed..

But you're spending $2k to avoid a $450 "lock in"?

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-06-2016, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
True, but with three Connect units you're pretty committed..

But you're spending $2k to avoid a $450 "lock in"?
You've got a point there. The CONNECT:AMP is basically a Connect and Amp in one? so with 3 of those I'm fully covered for all my sonos/amp needs for 3 zones? Would I get the same quality as I would with a CONNECT+Parasound?
post #8 of 11 Old 07-06-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
You've got a point there. The CONNECT:AMP is basically a Connect and Amp in one?
Yeah, you should at least look at it before you dismiss the suggestion...

Quote:
So with 3 of those I'm fully covered for all my sonos/amp needs for 3 zones? Would I get the same quality as I would with a CONNECT+Parasound?
There could be a difference in max volume, but for most rooms it probably wouldn't be an issue. If you did find one zone lacking in power, an inexpensive 2-channel amp could be added later. If you buy one or two units to start, you can test everything before you commit, too...

post #9 of 11 Old 07-06-2016, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, you should at least look at it before you dismiss the suggestion...
Word.

I guess another nice aspect of the CONNECT:AMP is that if I want to have say a Google ChromeCast Audio or something like that as an additional input I can hook it up to the Sonos and use their app to switch to it.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-06-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I guess another nice aspect of the CONNECT:AMP is that if I want to have say a Google ChromeCast Audio or something like that as an additional input I can hook it up to the Sonos and use their app to switch to it.
You can do that with the Connect as well. The AMP just adds the amp...
egram and Altitudeav like this.

post #11 of 11 Old 07-16-2016, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Multiple Chromecast Audios to the OSD or Dayton Audio (same product) 12 channel amp is rarely talked about, but will save you some $$$. I have a couple of Sonos Connects and just using them as a conduit to stream music is overkill, but thats what a lot of people use them for because there has never been much of an alternative, until now.
egram and JT Babin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page