Seeking true HDMI 2.0 4K @60fps 4x4 UHD switch. Recommendations? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Carneiro
  • 1 Post By ifor
  • 1 Post By FlyOnTheWall

post #1 of 13 Old 11-07-2016, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Seeking true HDMI 2.0 4K @60fps 4x4 UHD switch. Recommendations?

Monoprice and HDTV supply seem to have their house brand, and each have at least one model that should support it. (Pending some clarification from monoprice).

This is surprising because even the Geffen stuff that's 50% more expensive doesn't fully support it.

The long and short of it, for those that don't know, is that there are two types of 4K @ 60 fps. On one color data is compressed @ 60 fps, and on the other it isn't. One is 10 gbps, the other 18.

Both my TV and receiver support the latter kind, so I'd like to get a switch that does too.

However, I'm finding little out there.

If anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

Really I'm looking for a 6 X 2, but it's impossible to find one with true HDMI 2.0. I'd even settle for an 8x2 or 8x4 if it is reasonably priced.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-07-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Be very suspicious of switches and cables advertised to work at 18 gbps.

Asking ain't getting

You could extend your search to products from atlona.com. But HDMI high speed cables under 15 feet and avoiding switches and letting others be the bleeding edge is a good strategy.

However prepare yourself for what you are going to do if you buy a product that does not work as you need.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #3 of 13 Old 11-07-2016, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-08-2016, 03:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Would be interesting to see your complete system plan.

Which Sources are you catering for?

Audio, HDCP, EDID, CEC, HDR and Chroma Subsampling are all going to be tricky on a 'connected' system - look for those Features rather than any mention of HDMI version numbers or unverifiable data rates.

Mismatched capabilities across different Zones or Sink devices is often what causes most hassle on a 'connected' system.

Cable lengths are also going to be a factor to consider.

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-08-2016, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
We've installed a couple of the Purelink switches with great results. I would highly recommend starting there, based on our experience. We struggled to find the same solution before we finally ended up where we did.

Travis Leo
Denver, CO
Residential Systems, Inc.
www.ResidentialSystemsInc.com
post #6 of 13 Old 11-08-2016, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisleo View Post
We've installed a couple of the Purelink switches with great results. I would highly recommend starting there, based on our experience. We struggled to find the same solution before we finally ended up where we did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyAV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Be very suspicious of switches and cables advertised to work at 18 gbps.

Asking ain't getting

You could extend your search to products from atlona.com. But HDMI high speed cables under 15 feet and avoiding switches and letting others be the bleeding edge is a good strategy.

However prepare yourself for what you are going to do if you buy a product that does not work as you need.
I ended up going with the HDTVSupply house brand. I spoke to the owner, who's also the guy who designed it (read: ordered 100 unit minimum from Ali Babba vendor). about the technical specs and the return policy beforehand.

The ultimate deciding factor was price. The generic one was 66% less than all the non-generic ones you guys kindly linked me to.

It's just for my home, so we'll see how it goes. I'll report back here.

Am I confident? No. Is there a restocking fee? No.

Obviously I think the odds are better than not that it will work, or I wouldn't have bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
Would be interesting to see your complete system plan.

Which Sources are you catering for?

Audio, HDCP, EDID, CEC, HDR and Chroma Subsampling are all going to be tricky on a 'connected' system - look for those Features rather than any mention of HDMI version numbers or unverifiable data rates.

Mismatched capabilities across different Zones or Sink devices is often what causes most hassle on a 'connected' system.

Cable lengths are also going to be a factor to consider.

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have a cable box which does only 1080i, and 3 PCs (which actually have 4-5 outputs each). One PC does [email protected] (not sure of subsampling offhand), the other two do full [email protected] 4:4:4.

We don't game much, but it is a use case for [email protected]>30hz, and we use a 65" 4K LCD TV as a monitor much of the time, so there is a visible difference in e.g. text between 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 (though it is not terrible).

The TV is a Sony XBR65850C, which is set to "enhanced HDCP" (or w/e) for the high bandwidth stuff.

As to what I would do if it it doesn't work, I'd probably go back to what I'm doing now -- which is getting up and playing HDMI switchboard operator -- until the current state of the art comes down a bit in price.

The PCs can act as a signal splitter, as they have multiple outputs, and I'll be the switcher. The receiver could split the cable box to two outputs as well.

I could run one HDMI from every source to every output, and do it without getting up.

It probably isn't worth spending 1500 USD for the convenience, but it's all relative to how rich I am at any given moment.

Thanks for all the replies!

Last edited by Carneiro; 11-08-2016 at 09:48 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-01-2017, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Wanted to update this thread:

Buyer beware on the HDTCSupply Brand.

The 4k/60hz 4:4:4 just wouldn't work.

I tried to gently explain to the support guy / designer that his device would not work with my configuration, and naturally he became defensive and unpleasant despite my best effort to handle him with kid gloves. I would definitely not do business with them again, although he did keep his word and refund me without a restocking fee. (It works with other devices, it doesn't with your device, it's that simple.)

In the end I settled on a 4x1 switch from the monoprice house brand for one display and using my AVR for the other.

The setup served me well until now, when I replaced the display behind the 4x1 switch with one that supports GSync, which requires displayport, and 2560*[email protected] resolution.

I ordered an IOGear GCS1934, a 4x1 displayport switch, which should work for my resolution and display. I would have liked to have one with RS232 and rack mountability, but there seems to be almost nothing in the way of displayport switches. Even the expensive ones from companies like Gefen and Linksys usually max out at 4k/30hz., which would not get you into the triple digit refresh at 2560x1080.

I'm hoping this works out on the first try, because the only other contender is a device by a company called ATEN, and it appears to be the same thing anyway.

Otherwise, I've read that some 2-port switches have been known to work with these kind of UW-UXGA monitors, including the GSync, so that would be the last resort, as of now.
old corps likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-01-2017, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 82
AV Pro Connect has them available.

http://www.avproconnect.com/ac-mx44-...x4-matrix.html
markrubin likes this.

AV Professional for 23 Years
post #9 of 13 Old 12-03-2017, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 4
post #10 of 13 Old 12-04-2017, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 31
go with monoprice..

fantastic company, great prices, good service, and 1 years warranty
Carneiro likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-30-2017, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

The struggle is real

Thanks for the replies.

The IO Gear Display Port 4x1 switch just would not work with my gear. I followed the instructions, used their cables, and still, while I could get an image, if I switched away I could never get it back.

This has been a nightmare, more details below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post
Thanks for the reply, and the link.

That price is obscene, and it looks very similar to the 2016 blackbird hdmi matrix, which is 1/4 of the price. It makes me worry that the guts are the same, and only the number on the sticker is different. I'm not saying for certain that is the case, however. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...hoCRyMQAvD_BwE

For perspective, that price is more than my TV, more than all four of my sources, and over 3 times more than both my PC monitors combined. It would be wiser to use the money to put a down payment on a Winnebago, go up the country, and forget about HDMI all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805jive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
go with monoprice..

fantastic company, great prices, good service, and 1 years warranty

So I did go with the monoprice. Got the 24179. It was on a holiday discount, and with a promo code I got it for under $300. Unfortunately...

-The 4k display can be set 4k/60/4:4:4, but the image flickers. That seems to be not entirely the fault of the switch, however. The AVR (Denon AVR-X2200W) has been known to do that from time to time, depending on the device and the cable. (Worth mentioning here that I also bought cables that listed 4:4:4 in the spec.)

-To its credit, if I plug it into the TV instead of the AVR, 4:4:4 works fine, but the sound passing through to the ARC is only stereo. I had a long fight with Sony about that, as they advertise the TV as passing through multichannel, but as with many things HDMI: it just doesn't work. Fortunately, I could use the s/pdif out to the DVR and get around that problem.... but....

-The UW 2560x1080 display only comes up as 1920x1080, and it cannot be manually set to anything else. Maybe this is a driver problem? Will work on that.

-The original 1920x1080 screen is just not working at all with this switch, though the last one was no problem.

-It does not seem to be able to auto-negotiate a working EDID, like some other switches I've used of theirs. It would be nice if I could select two outputs and have it handshake with a new EDID that works for both. I read a review on the product's page that said EDID is selectable per port. The manual does not make that clear.

-Last but not least, I put it into standby mode as part of troubleshooting, and now it does not want to come out. It may just be a dud.

I really wish this HDMI crap would just work from time to time. At this point 4k is not that new, and it would be nice to find something that performs as advertised. It's been over a year that I've been at this. The HDTVsupply.com purchase was my mistake, but I expected more out of the box from monoprice.

Still, let me give these guys the benefit of the doubt until I get in touch with support.

My fallback position if this does not work and I can't find a reasonably priced switch that does, is to get a good 4x1 switch for the UW screen, use the receiver as a switch for the TV, taking advantage of the multiple outputs on the GPU sources (cable can be split too). Essentially, I'd have two 4x1 switches.

Last edited by Carneiro; 01-01-2018 at 12:43 AM.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-30-2017, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carneiro View Post

That price is obscene, and it looks very similar to the 2016 blackbird hdmi matrix, which is 1/4 of the price. It makes me worry that the guts are the same, and only the number on the sticker is different. I'm not saying for certain that is the case, however.
So... You're bashing the piece because you have never used it? And that the price is too high for you.

You think the units are the same because of the number of buttons on the unit? The Monoprice piece looks nothing like the AV Pro Connect unit.

And then you complain when nothing works in your setup, when using cheap switchers. Funny
There is a reason a lot of the pros use the one I recommend, because they work. And the price isn't obscene when it works.

AV Professional for 23 Years
post #13 of 13 Old 01-01-2018, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post
So... You're bashing the piece because you have never used it? And that the price is too high for you.

You think the units are the same because of the number of buttons on the unit? The Monoprice piece looks nothing like the AV Pro Connect unit.

And then you complain when nothing works in your setup, when using cheap switchers. Funny
There is a reason a lot of the pros use the one I recommend, because they work. And the price isn't obscene when it works.
If it works at quarter of that price, then for my application it is clearly obscene. I'm currently at 1/7th, and it remains to be seen if it will work (my monoprice unit may be a dud, won't come out of standby).

I'm sure your recommendation is a fine product, albeit at a markup. However, this is a non-commercial application. There's no deadline, no contract, no client, but there is a budget. It would be idiocy of me to not try and meet the spec at a fraction of that price, and I'm sure you'd agree and do the same were you spending your money and not mine. :P

Last edited by Carneiro; 01-01-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page