Yamaha MusicCast and Multiple Receivers as whole house solution? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-11-2016, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Yamaha MusicCast and Multiple Receivers as whole house solution?

I'm in the middle of a major house remodel and I know just enough AV to be dangerous and maybe do something that isn't ideal.

I am considering doing a Yamaha MusicCast setup and I'm interested in opinions.

Here was my thought:
Living Room / Kitchen / Dining Room - Yamaha Aventage RX-A3060 (Zone 1 to Living Room 5.1 - Zone 2 to kitchen - Zone 3 to Dining) - Rooms are close to each other and will always listen to the same source.
Master Bedroom / Master Bath - Yamaha RX-V581 (Zone 1 Bedroom TV - Zone 2 to Bathroom)
Office - Yamaha RX-V481 - 5.1
Art Studio - Yamaha RX-V481 - Large room - using Zone 1 TV / Zone 2 to power multiple in ceiling speakers listening to the same source.
Guest Bedroom - Yamaha YSP-1600 Sound Bar

All receivers will be on a wired network.

Am I on a good path here? I was originally thinking of taking everything back to the distribution closet and setting up a Multi-Zone amp, but this seems somehow better by having A/V equipment in each room and being able to "cast" music between the devices.

My concerns are really around whether MusicCast will make this feel like a seamless experience throughout the house. IE: Playing an old fashioned LP in the living room and listening to it on all the receivers simultaneously by just clicking a button or two on the app.

Very open to suggestions if you see a better way to do this.

Another option: Sonos, but I am a Yamaha fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-12-2016, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 342
'Seamless' is going to be down to a combination of the Hardware, the Software and the User capabilities.

For simplicity of operation SONOS is hard to beat - given that it aims to keep things relatively simple and very user friendly.

Yamaha MusicCast offers a whole lot more options - but that comes with more things to learn, more development time for the software and a slightly mixed bag in terms of how intuitive/capable every feature on offer is.

It is easy enough to combine SONOS with Yamaha where required.

I'd aim to refine what you require out of your system, which Streaming services you require, who the users are likely to be and how much time you are willing to invest in reaching your 'seamless' goal.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-12-2016, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
'Seamless' is going to be down to a combination of the Hardware, the Software and the User capabilities.

For simplicity of operation SONOS is hard to beat - given that it aims to keep things relatively simple and very user friendly.

Yamaha MusicCast offers a whole lot more options - but that comes with more things to learn, more development time for the software and a slightly mixed bag in terms of how intuitive/capable every feature on offer is.

It is easy enough to combine SONOS with Yamaha where required.

I'd aim to refine what you require out of your system, which Streaming services you require, who the users are likely to be and how much time you are willing to invest in reaching your 'seamless' goal.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply, Joe.

I probably shouldn't have even mentioned Sonos in my first message because I don't think it's right for me. What I am really trying to figure out is:

1) If you were in the middle of a major remodeling where all the walls were open (new construction for all practical purposes), would you centralize all the A/V equipment in the house or put the receivers closer to their points of use?
2) Is Yamaha a good choice for that or would you look elsewhere?

Touching on some of the other points you made...

Fortunately, there's only two of us using the system. I'm very tech savvy, and my wife is sharp and picks up on this stuff pretty much instantly. I used to think I knew a lot about A/V but the last home setup I built was about 10 years ago and I know a lot has changed. Us moving to a new home creates opportunity to start fresh, and I'm sure I'm out of touch on a lot and I have to make some very fast decisions with my rough in wiring.

For me "simple" takes a back seat to "better solution" if the Yamaha is actually the better solution.

I was leaning towards the Yamaha solution because I already own some rather nice speakers (B&W) and Sonos sound quality is kind of "meh" in my opinion.

I was also leaning Yamaha because there are potentially as many as 5 televisions involved -- three immediately and two more locations I'm pulling wire for "just in case".

As for software development - not a problem! That's what I do for a living! I'm also going to tinker with HomeSeer -- starting with lighting and locks and then moving on to hopefully integrating A/V hooks into it.

So, questions boil down to (1) location of equipment = point of use vs centralized and (2) Yamaha vs ______ ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-12-2016, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

P.S. Yamaha has all the streaming services I care about, and if something new shows up that I can't live without, I can let the HTPC play that for me -- if the Yamaha MusicCast will let me push that sound throughout the house as I believe it should.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-12-2016, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 342
SONOS - mine must be faulty, they sound pretty good Obviously a $200 PLAY:1 sounds a bit different to a CONNECT plugged into a $20k Hi-Fi or Theatre system.

SONOS - usability is its biggest strength.

Yamaha - has great potential, though plenty of work still to do in some areas to achieve your 'seamless' goal, I wonder if purchasing a couple of units now to allow you some hands on time with the system to learn the good/bad is the way to go.

Central vs. distribution - we are at one of those moments where you could go either way and possibly would be best to install a wired infrastructure which will cater for both eventualities and give yourself the most flexibility going forward.

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-05-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Did you try this? I've been very curious about the ability of MusicCast to stream the same signal to various Yamaha AVRs throughout the house. If it does indeed work that well, then I'm pretty interested. I already have a Yamaha 3050 and I'm thinking of getting a smaller Yamaha AVR to replace a Pioneer in my bedroom to do this very thing.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-06-2019, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelrider73 View Post
P.S. Yamaha has all the streaming services I care about, and if something new shows up that I can't live without, I can let the HTPC play that for me -- if the Yamaha MusicCast will let me push that sound throughout the house as I believe it should.
We are using 3 Yamaha receivers. 2 of them have Music Cast and we love them. 1 is dedicated in the HT and the other is for the rest of the house. It's only 2 of us at home so we don't need multiple sources at once in more than the HT & the rest of the house. Highly recommend the Yamaha from our needs.

Build Thread:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...m-wet-bar.html
Theatre Room: Samsung UN55KU7000F | Pioneer SP-FS52 x 2 | Polk MC80 x 2
Epson 5040UB | 120" Elunevision 4K Reference Tab 2.35:1 | Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
post #8 of 8 Old 01-21-2019, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanttom View Post
We are using 3 Yamaha receivers. 2 of them have Music Cast and we love them. 1 is dedicated in the HT and the other is for the rest of the house. It's only 2 of us at home so we don't need multiple sources at once in more than the HT & the rest of the house. Highly recommend the Yamaha from our needs.
I planned to do a similar setup using Denon HEOS. I have the same questions and concerns whether Denon or Yamaha would be a better option. I do not plan to run everything to a central location at this time, but i'll follow to see what advice comes from this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
distribution , musiccast , Sonos , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page