Building new house. Have run wire. Need some help. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rfpublic

post #1 of 9 Old 11-16-2016, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Building new house. Have run wire. Need some help.

I have hardwired RG6 and cat5e from 6 locations to a distribution panel in a closet. I have both coming in from the attic. What do I need to buy to run the cat5e to a modem/router. I'm assuming a switch of some sort to take the 6 into 1. I have a separate switch(s) for the RG6 (cable/satellite) and (over the air antenna).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-16-2016, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamamusicman View Post
I have hardwired RG6 and cat5e from 6 locations to a distribution panel in a closet.
Only 6 for the whole house???? Go back and run at least a dozen more. There's no way you have adequate coverage (assuming this isn't a 1-bedroom house) with 6 cat5e runs. You want at least one or two per room, to cover Ethernet, telephone and more.

Quote:
What do I need to buy to run the cat5e to a modem/router. I'm assuming a switch of some sort to take the 6 into 1.
Yes. See the threads about "pre-wired Ethernet" here for lots of details. You'll want a patch panel of some sort - what is your "distribution panel"? The maker of the panel will have a network block. Then you run patch cables from the patch panel to an Ethernet switch (which may be built into your modem if you don't need a lot of active ports).

Quote:
I have a separate switch(s) for the RG6 (cable/satellite) and (over the air antenna).
No, you may have a "splitter", but that's not a switch. Best to learn the terminology so you don't get confused later...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-16-2016, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Only 6 for the whole house???? Go back and run at least a dozen more. There's no way you have adequate coverage (assuming this isn't a 1-bedroom house) with 6 cat5e runs. You want at least one or two per room, to cover Ethernet, telephone and more.

Yes. See the threads about "pre-wired Ethernet" here for lots of details. You'll want a patch panel of some sort - what is your "distribution panel"? The maker of the panel will have a network block. Then you run patch cables from the patch panel to an Ethernet switch (which may be built into your modem if you don't need a lot of active ports).

No, you may have a "splitter", but that's not a switch. Best to learn the terminology so you don't get confused later...

Jeff
I agree that 6 runs of network cable seems a bit low, but things are changing as people are quickly moving to more wireless devices.

Many of my customers don't have a land line for their phone anymore. They use cell phones or just need one phone connection to a wireless phone base station, and the phone service might be provided by a internet phone service such as Ooma.

I still think that it is best to run a network cable to each TV location. Run network cables to each fixed computer location and the location of any NAS drives. Make sure that you provide a network cable for each WiFi access point. Also to the location of any interior or exterior IP security cameras.

You can connect all of these devices wireless but wired has advantages.

So 6 network cables might seem low, but it might meet their needs.

Randy
Boxozaxu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-16-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfpublic View Post
I agree that 6 runs of network cable seems a bit low, but things are changing as people are quickly moving to more wireless devices.
WiFi can replace Ethernet in many cases, but there's a ton of non-Ethernet cases the wire is good for.

Quote:
Many of my customers don't have a land line for their phone anymore. They use cell phones or just need one phone connection to a wireless phone base station, and the phone service might be provided by a internet phone service such as Ooma.
An Ooma, Vonage, etc. box can feed normal "wired" telephones without a traditional land line. And this is still a better answer for emergencies, guests, children, etc.

Quote:
So 6 network cables might seem low, but it might meet their needs.
I'll repeat my general pre-wire advice: "Don't be weird!"

Almost every house / homeowner should expect at least a cat5e and RG6 run per room (within reason). The device makers will engineer their products based on that assumption. Delete that 'base' wiring, and many solutions become either unusable or increase in cost to deal with the lack of assumed wire... All to save like a few bucks of wire and labor...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-16-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
WiFi can replace Ethernet in many cases, but there's a ton of non-Ethernet cases the wire is good for.

An Ooma, Vonage, etc. box can feed normal "wired" telephones without a traditional land line. And this is still a better answer for emergencies, guests, children, etc.

I'll repeat my general pre-wire advice: "Don't be weird!"

Almost every house / homeowner should expect at least a cat5e and RG6 run per room (within reason). The device makers will engineer their products based on that assumption. Delete that 'base' wiring, and many solutions become either unusable or increase in cost to deal with the lack of assumed wire... All to save like a few bucks of wire and labor...
I actually fully agree with your all of your comments. I think it's best to run at least a Cat5 and RG6 to each room.

On the other hand, I have talked to plenty of younger homeowners who are taking a very different approach to this issue. They have grown up with wireless internet and are comfortable with most devices being connected via WiFi. I was really just bringing this new reality into the discussion. My point being that less network cables can work for some people if they chose the locations carefully.

On a related subject. I was recently on my first cable TV install where we abandoned the coax and connected all the cable boxes in the house via network cable. As more sat and cable companies roll out the latest server/client architecture for their installs, having adequate network wiring to to each room will be important.

So you should install plenty of network cable to each room because, if nothing else, in the near future you can use these network cables to connect your TV service.

Randy
post #6 of 9 Old 11-16-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
On the other hand, I have talked to plenty of younger homeowners who are taking a very different approach to this issue. They have grown up with wireless internet and are comfortable with most devices being connected via WiFi. I was really just bringing this new reality into the discussion. My point being that less network cables can work for some people if they chose the locations carefully.
They certainly can. Our job here is to provide expertise and experience to educate folks as to why that's not the best path...

Quote:
On a related subject. I was recently on my first cable TV install where we abandoned the coax and connected all the cable boxes in the house via network cable. As more sat and cable companies roll out the latest server/client architecture for their installs, having adequate network wiring to to each room will be important.
Absolutely, but I would still recommend running at least one RG6 to any potential display location. As the majority of US households lack a cat5e wire at every "CATV outlet", MoCA or other coax-based-IP-networking methods may become more common. I agree that we'll have an IP-based future for TV distribution in the home. But I would add that the most integrated/reliable means to accomplish that could be either cat5e or RG6...

Quote:
So you should install plenty of network cable to each room because, if nothing else, in the near future you can use these network cables to connect your TV service.
Cat5e is cheap, easy, and the Swiss Army knife of cables...

post #7 of 9 Old 11-16-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
They certainly can. Our job here is to provide expertise and experience to educate folks as to why that's not the best path...

Absolutely, but I would still recommend running at least one RG6 to any potential display location. As the majority of US households lack a cat5e wire at every "CATV outlet", MoCA or other coax-based-IP-networking methods may become more common. I agree that we'll have an IP-based future for TV distribution in the home. But I would add that the most integrated/reliable means to accomplish that could be either cat5e or RG6...

Cat5e is cheap, easy, and the Swiss Army knife of cables...
I declare us to be in full agreement.

Install plenty of Cat5. It's cheap and can be used for lots of different things.

In the future RG6 will decline in importance, but for now you should have one run to each TV location.

Let me add one additional item. It can also be a good idea to add low voltage conduits in strategic locations. In a recent two story new house build, I installed low voltage conduits from the wiring closet to the crawl space and also up to the attic. A month later I used both of these conduits to accommodate some last minute changes requested by the homeowner.

Randy
post #8 of 9 Old 11-16-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I declare us to be in full agreement.
Double yep!

Quote:
Let me add one additional item. It can also be a good idea to add low voltage conduits in strategic locations. In a recent two story new house build, I installed low voltage conduits from the wiring closet to the crawl space and also up to the attic. A month later I used both of these conduits to accommodate some last minute changes requested by the homeowner.
Absolutely. The only truly future-proof answer is the path for the cable that hasn't been invented yet...

I've only used one of my conduits so far after 7 years, so I think I did a good job!

post #9 of 9 Old 11-16-2016, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
easier to do now, than later so I would over estimate and over execute since it's relatively cheap now, versus later if you miss something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page