Best products for new structured wiring install in existing home - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By brantmacga

post #1 of 8 Old 01-23-2017, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best products for new structured wiring install in existing home

My wife and I purchased this house a year ago. The guy that lived here before us apparently fancied himself a bit of AV geek but, he was also a bit of hack. So I've committed myself to cleaning up his mess and doing a structured wiring project for coax and ethernet through out the house. I'm not worried about audio or phone lines. So here is the thing... I build milspec wire harnesses for race cars for a living. I'd categorize myself as functioning OCD and I haven't had to do much structured wiring yet. That said I don't want to turn this into my life's work either.

My plan is to use the office closet to mount an in wall panel that will bring in coax and distribute it via a powered splitter and distribute ethernet via a switch. Inside or near this panel besides the splitter and switch I'd like to mount the cable modem and Tivo bolt for the living room.

I need to wall mount 2 TVs (60" and 50"). I don't need full articulation just a low profile tilting mount should suffice. I would also like a decent wall box to mount a power outlet, HDMI and ethernet connections.

Sorry, if I'm missing some details but, my lunch is almost over and I'm kind of rushing through this. I'd love some recommendations on hardware, cool stuff to make this install easier (I've got glow rods, flexible auger bits and all that type of stuff already) or if I'm missing anything obvious. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home network routing.png
Views:	134
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1914449  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-23-2017, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For wall Boxes Arlington Industries makes very well constructed recessed wall boxes:

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/ho...r-audio-video/

For TV mounts I'm a fan of SANUS mainly because they have one of the best install wizards on their website (heightfinder). You plug in the tv and mount and what height you want it and it will tell you the exact height to drill the holes for the mounts.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-24-2017, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 228
buy a roll of fish tape. tho i'd assume you'd already have something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-24-2017, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I know I have the perfect photo of a panel mounted router and switch but I just can't find it for you. Basically, I just took rack mounted equipment, turned and cut the rack ears for panel mount and it was all really mint. Here's a picture of another panel but this is all patch work to extend into a rack. Same concept though, devices mounted, custom length cables in between.

For boxes behind the wall, I really enjoy this product: http://www.snapav.com/p-2028-SM-RBX-PRO-8-BLK.aspx there is an 8x14 available as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel_patches.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	1916105  

James Babin - System designer myEasytek
Last Post: Low Voltage Wiring Guide
post #5 of 8 Old 01-24-2017, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Babin View Post
I know I have the perfect photo of a panel mounted router and switch but I just can't find it for you. Basically, I just took rack mounted equipment, turned and cut the rack ears for panel mount and it was all really mint. Here's a picture of another panel but this is all patch work to extend into a rack. Same concept though, devices mounted, custom length cables in between.

For boxes behind the wall, I really enjoy this product: there is an 8x14 available as well.
Thanks! That link is broken, but, I'm going to assume you are you talking about the wirepath one enclosures. That stuff looks awesome. I really like the wattbox for the bottom panel. And SnapAV is in my area, I might have to swing by there. I'm afraid to see the price.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-24-2017, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Thanks! That link is broken, but, I'm going to assume you are you talking about the wirepath one enclosures. That stuff looks awesome. I really like the wattbox for the bottom panel. And SnapAV is in my area, I might have to swing by there. I'm afraid to see the price.
Actually the link was for the Snap boxes that go behind the TV, they are great quality and they have similar wattbox products to go in the bottom. Not sure if you can just walk into Snap, probably need a dealer to quote it out and order one, but find a small time guy and tell him he's the best and that he should hook you up.

James Babin - System designer myEasytek
Last Post: Low Voltage Wiring Guide
post #7 of 8 Old 01-24-2017, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I use On-Q structured wiring products ......

Here's a pic of one that's almost complete. They have a pretty robust selection of networking products including switches, routers, PoE switches, etc....

Legrand also makes a nice recessed TV box that comes in various sizes.

Here is one I recently installed with a brush insert, but you can also swap these out for keystone straps, which I use when needing just RJ45 and F connectors..... I also use the Legrand TVSS receps with these for surge protection at the TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hisma likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-10-2017, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post
I use On-Q structured wiring products ......

Here's a pic of one that's almost complete. They have a pretty robust selection of networking products including switches, routers, PoE switches, etc....

Legrand also makes a nice recessed TV box that comes in various sizes.

Here is one I recently installed with a brush insert, but you can also swap these out for keystone straps, which I use when needing just RJ45 and F connectors..... I also use the Legrand TVSS receps with these for surge protection at the TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've already purchased a couple of the recessed tv boxes for the living room and bedroom installs. Right now I'm digging through powered cable splitters and debating if I want to use Tivo's MoCa features or not. When I tried using it previously it was very unreliable but, that may be due in part to the current cabling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page