Trying to build a multi-room setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-03-2017, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Trying to build a multi-room setup

Hello,

So I'm working on finishing my apartment removations, and I ran wires to the following rooms:

Bedroom 1 - 2 speaker wires
Bedroom 2 - 2 speaker wires
bathroom 1 - 1 speaker wire
bathroom 2 - 1 speaker wire
Hallway - 2 speaker wires

Total of 8 channels. I was hoping to get a min of 3 zones (bedrooms, bathrooms, and hallway) but would prefer 4 or more. I wanted to keep it more modern to control (mobile app based) and avoid the wall panels.

It seems I have a few options.
I could buy Sonos Connect Amp units for each of the setups. I would need 4 (bedroom 1, bedroom 2, bathrooms, hallway) to make it work, but the costs seem to be a bit high - over $2,000 for the 4 units.
Another option is the Niles MRC6430. I't seems to have 8 channels, 6 zones (4 zones for the speakers which is ideal) and around $1,100-1,200. The difference I'm seeing is the Niles is 30W outpout per channel va 55W for the Sonos. Given that the bathrooms and other rooms are not huge, I don't know if one really needs the extra watts.

I also will have a home theater system (5.1 most likely) which would be nice to integrate into the whole setup.

Speaker wise, I was thinking either Bose or Martin Logan for the rooms. For the 5.1 home theater, I have Bose speakers I can use.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on the best way to integrate this all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-04-2017, 04:00 PM

8 channels total, one wire to each bathroom....so which bathroom gets the left channel of your audio and which gets the right channel?
post #3 of 10 Old 02-05-2017, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crshepard View Post
8 channels total, one wire to each bathroom....so which bathroom gets the left channel of your audio and which gets the right channel?
I know, should of been 2 in each bathroom, but one will get the left and other the right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-06-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 335
'The difference I'm seeing is the Niles is 30W outpout per channel va 55W for the Sonos. Given that the bathrooms and other rooms are not huge, I don't know if one really needs the extra watts.' - the Niles unit is not a 'Source' you will need to budget for Source devices!

SONOS - is ideal as a low cost multi-room audio system, it is not so great if you want a multi-room AV system; or your include SONOS with your AV system plans.

SONOS - simple enough to add a CONNECT to any Hi-Fi Amp or AVR to bring those devices into the SONOS 'system'.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-07-2017, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason8612 View Post
I know, should of been 2 in each bathroom, but one will get the left and other the right.
What sources are you trying to get? That Niles functions as a squeezebox.

If it weren't for the zone with the AVR I'd say Sonos would be better. But if you're talking about a room with 5.1 the Niles is great because you'll take a preout from Z5 or 6 and put it to that AVR and then you can pickup an nHR200 remote control and get control of that room for only (yeah still expensive) only the cost of the remote. It's a great remote.

You can also put some Z-Wave switch legs on it with a VeraEdge gateway and add lighting to your system too, with no additional automation equipment.

Sonos is the dead simple audio only solution, Niles you get more. If you're not going to use the "more" then stick with Sonos.

You may have read this, but I highlight some of these examples: http://myeasytek.com/2016/07/06/nile...io-automation/

Again, if you're not going to use the bonus features of the Niles, Sonos might be a better fit.

James Babin - System designer myEasytek
Last Post: Low Voltage Wiring Guide
post #6 of 10 Old 02-08-2017, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

You ran 2-conductor or 4-conductor ?

Have you looked at Nuvo P3100/P3500?

IF you decided to add a wall control, they have some nice looking devices. Offers volume, source, and track control; you can have 4 controls per zone.

The app control is pretty slick too. I like the drag & drop zones into sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 Old 02-08-2017, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

2 conductor wire.
It's just for the music in the apartment, so it doesn't need a lot of power. The main unit would be in the same room where the home theater setup is, so I could plug in all my sources from there.
I already ran the wires, so the wall controllers might be hard to pull a new cable.
@JT Babin , the apartment is all z-wave and with a controller. Everything, from the A/C, heating, lights, heated flooring, alarm system, and even the curtains will be controlled thru the home automation system. I went with Fibaro, as that's a good option out here for me.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-08-2017, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Trying to build a multi-room setup

Quote:
2 conductor wire.

It's just for the music in the apartment, so it doesn't need a lot of power. The main unit would be in the same room where the home theater setup is, so I could plug in all my sources from there.

I already ran the wires, so the wall controllers might be hard to pull a new cable..

Gotcha.

The Nuvo controllers are just network controls. You run Cat5 with PoE from the router to the controller; the speaker cables go directly from the amp to the speaker. When you power up, the Nuvo player will find the controls, and you can launch the app on your phone or tablet to assign the controllers.

The P3100 and P3500 look like any other HT equipment; both are 3-zone amplifiers with digital streaming sources and 3x analog/toslink inputs.

To integrate 5.1 system into your WHA, you can use the toslink or analog output of your TV to feed audio back into the WHA system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by brantmacga; 02-08-2017 at 11:03 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-08-2017, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
2 conductor wire.
I already ran the wires, so the wall controllers might be hard to pull a new cable.
@JT Babin , the apartment is all z-wave and with a controller. Everything, from the A/C, heating, lights, heated flooring, alarm system, and even the curtains will be controlled thru the home automation system. I went with Fibaro, as that's a good option out here for me.
In this case the Niles would stand alone because it doesn't integrate with a Fibaro gateway. However, the VeraEdge is only $99 and you could start to integrate all of your smart devices with your audio system. Throw an Elan g1 on top of it and you can really do cool stuff, like have your audio system turn off when you arm your security system, etc.

Remember you can add a HR200 remote to that Niles too, which may add some value for you.

I'd just think about making sure whatever you do checks the boxes now and doesn't limit anything you want to do in the future. Sonos would probably best if you're only going to do Standalone, Niles best if you want future plans of integration, want to be able to control your theater equipment with the app, or if you just wanted to set up for future cool stuff.

James Babin - System designer myEasytek
Last Post: Low Voltage Wiring Guide
post #10 of 10 Old 02-09-2017, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Babin View Post
In this case the Niles would stand alone because it doesn't integrate with a Fibaro gateway. However, the VeraEdge is only $99 and you could start to integrate all of your smart devices with your audio system. Throw an Elan g1 on top of it and you can really do cool stuff, like have your audio system turn off when you arm your security system, etc.

Remember you can add a HR200 remote to that Niles too, which may add some value for you.

I'd just think about making sure whatever you do checks the boxes now and doesn't limit anything you want to do in the future. Sonos would probably best if you're only going to do Standalone, Niles best if you want future plans of integration, want to be able to control your theater equipment with the app, or if you just wanted to set up for future cool stuff.
Interesting. I do like the idea of that HR200 remote.
So I should be able to use that remote for Niles and for my home theater system. That can qork quite well with the setup.

I don't want to limit myself now, as I'm sure in a few years more cool stuff will come out and I can integrate everything into the home system, be it with the Niles and the home theater or Fibaro and the home automation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page