Sonance sonamp 1230 how to control - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-25-2017, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sonance sonamp 1230 how to control

So 12 (6*2) output channels and 12 inputs.

Is it possible to control this amplifier so that you can choose a specific input(source) and output?

If it is possible, how?

Thanks.

Michel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-25-2017, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmichael View Post
So 12 (6*2) output channels and 12 inputs.

Is it possible to control this amplifier so that you can choose a specific input(source) and output?
No, not without external controllers/switching gear. It's a multichannel amp with good installation and configuration flexibility, but it's not a whole house audio system.

Quote:
If it is possible, how?
Add one or more zone streamer pre-amp units, likely one on the bus input and one or more on individual inputs for dedicated zones, but getting a fully flexible setup will require one streamer unit per zone.

I assume you already have this unit? The manual shows the various ways it can be used.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-26-2017, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Jautor,

I have the unit and the manual. Ok adding multiple audio streamers one for each zone, no problem.

I do not find how i can assign one zone (one output channel) to a specified input. I read the manual and searched for it in other ways. But i do not find the answer.

Thanks for your help.

Michel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-26-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I do not find how i can assign one zone (one output channel) to a specified input. I read the manual and searched for it in other ways. But i do not find the answer.
Short answer - you don't...

The amp has a selector for each channel/pair that allows you to choose either the 'bus' input or the 'dedicated' input "left/right" for that channel/pair. Those are your two choices, and it's done with physical switches, not something that can be changed easily every day. And furthermore, zone 1 can't use zone 2's input. Which is why you need a streamer per zone - those boxes will allow sharing of inputs and sync'ing content.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-26-2017, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff,

Thank you it is so obvious. I was looking for something this amplifier can not do. I thought i could set it up in a kind of matrix fashion.

Since i only plan on using airplay or perhaps some other streaming service on IOS, i was planning on using one airport express to do this.

So i could do this by using several airport express units or search for a hardware solution that supports airplay (or something simular) and has the ability to switch between several inputs. I will do some searching for such a solution.

Thank for your support.

Michel
post #6 of 10 Old 03-26-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Since i only plan on using airplay or perhaps some other streaming service on IOS, i was planning on using one airport express to do this.
You could do that by attaching an AE to the bus input and feed all your zones, but you won't have individual volume/on/off control unless you have additional volume controls in each room. Now, if having all zones on/off at the same relative volume is acceptable (since you can trim the volume levels with the amp to get each room to 'reasonable' levels), that will work just fine...

Quote:
So i could do this by using several airport express units or search for a hardware solution that supports airplay (or something simular) and has the ability to switch between several inputs. I will do some searching for such a solution.
You won't find one without going to a zone streamer box. Search the forum here for solutions that use a set of Chromecast Audio players to build a similar solution, cheaper and with the same functionality (perhaps more).

Jeff

post #7 of 10 Old 03-27-2017, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

You won't find one without going to a zone streamer box. Search the forum here for solutions that use a set of Chromecast Audio players to build a similar solution, cheaper and with the same functionality (perhaps more).

Jeff
SlowMichael, Jautor is correct. You can't group AEs together to form one large whole home audio zone. The Chromecast Audio pucks can be grouped together to form one large zone or multiple zones that you can control independently. You can group them however you like and control the volume individually or as a group.

If you're streaming from Apple Music or SiriusXm you'll need to use the background audio option that Chromecast Audio has. Background audio functionality is only available on a Android device. You can get a low cost Android device and stream SiriuXm or Apple Music if that is a need for you. I do it everyday and I have a Iphone 6 and a Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet.

But you can search this forum and find a bunch of my posts on how I'm using Chromecast Audio pucks in my WHA. I have also posted in the streaming audio forum in the Chromecast Audio thread.

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #8 of 10 Old 03-27-2017, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You could use something like this for volume control in a particular zone. (I do in my bathroom). But it is not very elegant.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-8394-/50-8394

For me, I have my WHA running off of zone 2 output to a fixed volume amplifier that is then connected to a Niles speaker selector. I have to manually select zone in the equipment closet which is not ideal.

I wanted to be able to control volume and change radio station while in the shower so I used the volume control above along with an IR repeater with wall plate and a universal water proof remote.

It works well but I wouldn't want that setup for every zone.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-27-2017, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys and/or girls.

Will take a look at all suggestions.

Michel
post #10 of 10 Old 07-29-2019, 10:39 AM

Liked: 2
All of the replies were very helpful in helping me set up a whole-house system. I have 3 separate audio sources - a Klipsch gate and 2 Echo Inputs, going into a Sonamp 1230. The Klipsch is connected to the Bus Input, to use for the whole house. One echo input goes to channels 9 and 10 (kitchen), and the other goes to channels 11 and 12 (master bath). I use Spotify devices to select "First Floor" (Klipsch Gate), "Kitchen" (Echo Input 1), or "Bath" (Echo Input 2). All of the wiring goes to in-wall volume controls. I also set up two FLIC buttons - one launches a playlist in the kitchen, the other launches a playlist for the whole house.

One thing that confused me was the "AUX" dip switch setting. It's only set to on to enable paging. With it on, anything plugged into the 3rd Bus Input jack - "Aux" - overrides whatever is playing over the other Bus Input jacks, in that zone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page