Dual Audio Orientation Layout - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-07-2017, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dual Audio Orientation Layout

Hi all,

I love this form although I (shamefully) haven't posted until now. I've searched a bunch and can't find a similar thread, so forgive me if this is answered somewhere else.

I'm building a new home theater that has both a TV and a projector. The problem I'm up against is that they are on perpendicular walls. I did it this way (rather than have the projector screen drop down in front of the TV), so that I could watch both at the same time if I ever wanted. This means that the audio orientation will be different whether I'm focused on the TV or the projector screen. The idea is that I'd have a 5.1 setup in each orientation. I attached an image that I hope helps explain my point.

As you'll see, there are two speakers that serve double duty. For example, look at the top-right speaker in the diagram. When watching the TV, that would serve as the Surround Right speaker. However, when watching the projector, that would serve as the Front Right speaker.

Here are some additional constraints (although if you feel strongly against any of them, I'm all ears):
- I don't want to put two physical speakers right next to one another for aesthetic reasons.
- I don't want to physically manipulate anything to switch audio orientation (i.e. move wires, toggle an A/B switch, etc) other than pushing a button on a remote or giving a voice command.
- I'm pretty in bed with Google Home, SmartThings, Harmony Companion, and IFTT. I'd like to work within that framework if at all possible.
- I'd like to be able to watch either the same or different sources on the TV/projector and have the ability to choose whether the audio would be in the TV orientation or in the projector orientation.

What's the best way to do this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT Layout.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	2073353  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-08-2017, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

I have one potential solution, but I'm not entirely sold on it. Basically, I'd have all the sources feed into an HDMI matrix switch, then out to two different 5.1 receivers. One receiver would drive the TV and the speakers that are in the TV orientation. The other receiver would drive the projector and the speakers that are in the projector orientation. For the two dual-purpose speakers, the outputs from the receivers on those perspective channels wouldn't go directly to the speaker. They would instead go to a relay that could be triggered via a Z-Wave switch. The output of that relay would then go to the speaker. I think a single DPDT relay and a single Aeon Z-Wave In-Wall Micro Controller could serve this purpose.

I like the idea of a Z-Wave device triggering a relay. I don't like the idea of needing two separate receivers (in addition to a matrix switch), but I'm not sure I can get out of it.

Any ideas/comments/suggestions are certainly appreciated - thanks!
post #3 of 6 Old 04-08-2017, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 897
There are automatic speaker selector switches (unfortunately, you'd need three of them so a DIY project would be worth investigation). The one you want will need to be triggered with 12VDC, so you can tie into your AVR or other automation option.

Look for the Niles SPK-1 - I see them used on eBay a lot (and a lot cheaper than new!).

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-08-2017, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I hadn't seen that product before - looks promising. Getting cheaper on eBay would definitely help to make that affordable. I'm really starting to think there's no avoiding two receivers though...
post #5 of 6 Old 04-14-2017, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhit View Post
Thanks! I hadn't seen that product before - looks promising. Getting cheaper on eBay would definitely help to make that affordable. I'm really starting to think there's no avoiding two receivers though...
Do you have a budget for this project yet?

I have done this quite a few times in large theaters with multiple screen or multi function rooms for commercial applications, but it can get expensive to do it correctly. The fact that you are only trying to do 5.1 makes it a lot cheaper (can probably be done for about the same price if not less than buying (2) AVRs, HDMI DAs to split all of your video sources, and a custom speaker selector).

Here is the system break down.
- All video inputs would feed an a AV pre-amp or receiver with (2) routable HDMI Outputs (something like a Yamaha RX-A1060).
- 5.1 audio pre amp outputs would feed the inputs of an 8x12 DSP. (Something like an Ashly Audio ne24.24m can be found on eBay for $600-1000 depending on I/O count). You would need 10 outputs if you include 2 sub outputs and processed them as well through the DSP, or if you wanted to save some money you can just deal with the L,C,R,SL,SR in the DSP and let the AVR drive the sub(s) directly and you would only need 8 outputs.
- The 8 outputs of the DSP would feed 8 channels of amplification than would feed the 8 individual speakers in the room.

In the DSP you would have (2) presets that can be recalled based on the listening position of the room.

For controlling the entire thing you can get a fancy as you want with it. For the Ashly in particular, there is a button on the front of the device, an iPad app, or you can use a third party control system for the preset recall.

I built a 3 position 7.1 system a couple years back using this method (got quite expensive when you get the DSP I/O count up), but at the end of the day the client walked into the room and with the push of a button the system would configure it to the way they wanted to use the room for the day.

I can put together some basic system drawings to show you the signal flow if you end up going this route.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-14-2017, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarnesvta View Post
- 5.1 audio pre amp outputs would feed the inputs of an 8x12 DSP. (Something like an Ashly Audio ne24.24m can be found on eBay for $600-1000 depending on I/O count).
Awesome - thanks! Your solution is pretty much what I had in mind, but the DSP Matrix is the piece I was missing. I hadn't seen anything like that before. I've tinkered with residential AV stuff since I was a kid, but with what I'm trying to do now, I seem to be toeing the line with a commercial industry I'm completely unfamiliar with.

I don't really have a set budget, but whenever I take on a new project, I generally try to weight different options and do it as affordably as possible. I did make the decision pretty early on to limit this to 5.1 in either orientation to keep cost down (and since this is my primary living room, I didn't want THAT many speakers on the walls lol).

Unfortunately, last night I jumped the gun and bought a second AVR off eBay (I already had one), and I bought all the stuff I need to make a DIY speaker selector. I guess I'm kinda committed now to going this route, so we'll see if I can make it work.

I really do appreciate your input, and if piecemealing things together like I'm doing now doesn't work out, I'll be doing exactly what you described. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
audio , control , Dual , layout , orientation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page