Need advice on taking over control of a "Control4" setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 07-28-2017, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Need advice on taking over control of a "Control4" setup

My brother-in-law had Best Buy/Magnolia install a 5 zone audio plus home theater system in his vacation home using Control4 equipment. The install was done in 2014 for about $8k (for audio only, not including the TV's) and it basically has never worked. It must have worked when they first put it in, but I have been there 4 times over the last 3 years and it has never worked properly and he has never been able to use it when he visits. We were there recently and demanded that Best Buy/Magnolia come out and fix it, and they provided an $1100 quote to get it working (bear in mind this is simply fixing their own setup). I am an expert in Harmony, but don't have Control4 software, so I can't help him currently.

Basically, the Best Buy/Magnolia route is a dead end -- they really don't know what they are doing, it will cost too much to get it working, and we have zero confidence that it will stay working even if they are able to fix it. I would like to take over the Control4 setup and software so that I can get it working for him and be in a position to be able to fix it ourselves if issues arise in the future.

From other AVS threads, I've seen that installers sometimes give customers the Control4 software and setup so they can manage it themselves, and we plan to request this of Best Buy/Magnolia. I don't know enough about Control4 to intelligently articulate what I need from them, so my questions are:

1. Where is the "configuration" information stored -- is it on the installer's laptop or can it be obtained from the Control4 equipment itself (my concern is that only the binary result of the configuration is loaded on the Control4 equipment, so I would need to get the config files from Best Buy/Magnolia).

2. What software should I request from Best Buy/Magnolia and is it available for Mac or just PC?

3. How easy will it be for me to take their Control4 config and fix it given my total lack of knowledge about Control4 programming but have a very extensive background of Harmony programming?

The Control4 equipment he has is fairly recent (I think 2014):

Control 4 - IC-800 Controller with licenses (paid $1495)
Control 4 – 4 Zone Amp (8 channels) (paid $1199)

Last edited by pjp; 07-28-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 07-28-2017, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I doubt the terms of your agreement with the Installer or the C4 T&C'a allow you to request a copy of the software you require.

Have you approached C4?

There are chargeable software options end users can purchase from C4 to allow a degree of customisation - that is not however giving you access to the Dealer Only software you may require for a complete overhaul of the system.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pjp likes this.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #3 of 48 Old 07-28-2017, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
I doubt the terms of your agreement with the Installer or the C4 T&C'a allow you to request a copy of the software you require.

Have you approached C4?

There are chargeable software options end users can purchase from C4 to allow a degree of customisation - that is not however giving you access to the Dealer Only software you may require for a complete overhaul of the system.

Joe
Thanks for your reply Joe. We have not contacted C4. We are so insulated from this because he contracted the project through Best Buy in 2014, and when we went to the store to confront them on this issue, they didn't even know who did what. They said originally in 2014 it was Best Buy alone, but now they have Magnolia who would be responsible for it today, and when we talked to Magnolia (in the same store) they didn't know much about C4 and it's possible they outsourced it to C4 directly, but they really don't know.

It's a crazy situation -- the vacation home is in Arizona and I live in NJ and my brother-in-law's primary home is in Singapore. We are only there a couple of weeks a year, so it's difficult to manage remotely. We convinced Best Buy to send somebody out, but by the time they figured out who they could send to look at it, were were already back at our primary homes and they left us with a quote of $1100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 07-28-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Need advice on taking over control of a "Control4" setup

C4 - I'd make that your first stop.

I don't have any contact with C4 (we mostly use Crestron)- though I would hope they would want to look after you or at least put you in touch with a local C4 Dealer.

We have a few customers over here in Scotland with 'holiday homes' who only visit the property a few times a year - it can be worthwhile having some sort of 'Pre-visit' service contract which aligns with your visits!

Electronics tend to prefer you to be using them day to day - they don't tend to be so reliable when you leave then unused for long periods.

Joe
pjp likes this.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.

Last edited by Joe Fernand; 07-30-2017 at 10:15 AM.
post #5 of 48 Old 07-29-2017, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
We are a Control4 dealer.. I wouldnt mind logging on and taking a look for you..

shoot us a email at [email protected]
pjp likes this.
post #6 of 48 Old 07-31-2017, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohj View Post
We are a Control4 dealer.. I wouldnt mind logging on and taking a look for you..

shoot us a email at [email protected]
Thank you for the offer and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Next time we are there (which might be a year or so) I will reach out to you. When you say "logging on" and taking a look -- does this mean that all the Control 4 code for their configuration is loaded on a central Control4 server? That would be great because Best Buy and Magnolia don't seem to know anything about the current config -- maybe the guys they would have dispatched would have known, but not the guys in the store.

If he were to abandon the system, which he is also strongly considering, would he be able to get reasonable dollars for the C4 equipment (all of it is like new and fairly recent (2014/2015))?
post #7 of 48 Old 07-31-2017, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Thank you for the offer and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Next time we are there (which might be a year or so) I will reach out to you. When you say "logging on" and taking a look -- does this mean that all the Control 4 code for their configuration is loaded on a central Control4 server? That would be great because Best Buy and Magnolia don't seem to know anything about the current config -- maybe the guys they would have dispatched would have known, but not the guys in the store.

If he were to abandon the system, which he is also strongly considering, would he be able to get reasonable dollars for the C4 equipment (all of it is like new and fairly recent (2014/2015))?
You just need a competent dealer/programmer. There may be a good Magnolia/C4 outfit out there but honestly I've never heard of 1 good review. Your equipment is likely fine, it is just not set up properly.8k seems like an AWFUL lot for Magnolia C4 set up. Unless that includes some VERY high end amps/pre pros, speakers, etc. The c4 side of things should not have come close to that price point.

Control4 offers Composer Home Edition. It is a 1 time fee of $149. You can program absolutely everything BUT you cannot add new hardware; that requires a dealer. So if all the hardware is already in your project and just programmed incorrectly you can buy the software and program on your own.

Strohj is a reputable dealer/programmer who can log in remotely and look at your code as well; you do not have to be at the house. If you arent comfortable doing the programming or you want to add some hardware or just need a review he is a great resource.

If you are having issues, I'd recommend getting a good remote dealer, having them do a review, fix things up, have them sell you Composer HE and learn from what they are doing so you can tackle your next update/change with Composer HE.
strohj, ahard and pjp like this.
post #8 of 48 Old 07-31-2017, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post
You just need a competent dealer/programmer. There may be a good Magnolia/C4 outfit out there but honestly I've never heard of 1 good review. Your equipment is likely fine, it is just not set up properly.8k seems like an AWFUL lot for Magnolia C4 set up. Unless that includes some VERY high end amps/pre pros, speakers, etc. The c4 side of things should not have come close to that price point.

Control4 offers Composer Home Edition. It is a 1 time fee of $149. You can program absolutely everything BUT you cannot add new hardware; that requires a dealer. So if all the hardware is already in your project and just programmed incorrectly you can buy the software and program on your own.

Strohj is a reputable dealer/programmer who can log in remotely and look at your code as well; you do not have to be at the house. If you arent comfortable doing the programming or you want to add some hardware or just need a review he is a great resource.

If you are having issues, I'd recommend getting a good remote dealer, having them do a review, fix things up, have them sell you Composer HE and learn from what they are doing so you can tackle your next update/change with Composer HE.
Great info. It isn't high-end audio at all. It has many pairs of in-ceiling speakers, 2 "wireless music bridges", the control4 equipment listed in post 1 plus a C4 SR-250 remote. The AVR they specified was a $499 Denon AVR-X1100, which is famous for the display going dead, among other problems. Denon used to be great, but at least this model is not. The display has gone out, which wouldn't be a problem if the C4 was working, but makes it difficult to diagnose or even use manually (bypassing C4 control).

We would probably change out the AVR because that particular Denon seems to be problematic from our experience (and confirmed by online reviews which pretty much say the same thing). Getting somebody to set it up with the new AVR and then taking the software myself might make sense. I know Harmony programming very well, but have no idea if C4 programming is similar to Harmony or much more complex. My brother-in-law is pretty disgusted with the whole thing, so he really is considering just abandoning it.

Last edited by pjp; 07-31-2017 at 11:11 AM.
post #9 of 48 Old 07-31-2017, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Great info. It isn't high-end audio at all. It has many pairs of in-ceiling speakers, 2 "wireless music bridges", the control4 equipment listed in post 1 plus a C4 SR-250 remote. The AVR they specified was a $499 Denon AVR-X1100, which is famous for the display going dead, among other problems. Denon used to be great, but at least this model is not. The display has gone out, which wouldn't be a problem if the C4 was working, but makes it difficult to diagnose or even use manually (bypassing C4 control).

We would probably change out the AVR because that particular Denon seems to be problematic from our experience (and confirmed by online reviews which pretty much say the same thing). Getting somebody to set it up with the new AVR and then taking the software myself might make sense. I know Harmony programming very well, but have no idea if C4 programming is similar to Harmony or much more complex. My brother-in-law is pretty disgusted with the whole thing, so he really is considering just abandoning it.
$8k seems a bit over priced. Unless there was a ton of wiring or something else I am missing.

Anyways the set up seems overly easily. Let Strohj or someone else qualified take a look.

I have no hands on programming experience since basic HTML 20 years ago and I can use Composer HE to program about 75% of my tasks. some more detailed stuff I'll pay a dealer to do or I'll visit c4forums.com and ask for guidance and tons of users will offer up their takes on how to tackle the programming.

You (family member) invested a lot and that hardware is a few years old so will not get a ton of money for it. Spend a few bucks and get it tuned up and it should work fine.
pjp likes this.

Last edited by ezlotogura; 07-31-2017 at 11:58 AM.
post #10 of 48 Old 07-31-2017, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
$8 seems a bit over priced. Unless there was a ton of wiring or something else I am missing.

Anyways the set up seems overly easily. Let Strohj or someone else qualified take a look.

I have no hands on programming experience since basic HTML 20 years ago and I can use Composer HE to program about 75% of my tasks. some more detailed stuff I'll pay a dealer to do or I'll visit c4forums.com and ask for guidance and tons of users will offer up their takes on how to tackle the programming.

You (family member) invested a lot and that hardware is a few years old so will not get a ton of money for it. Spend a few bucks and get it tuned up and it should work fine.
It was a fairly extensive install - 18ft ceilings, speakers inside and out. Considering that my brother-in-law wasn't an AV guy and they could have put some stuff past him, I think they weren't too bad on price for everything. It's just that it hasn't worked really for him ever, and he doesn't want to spend good money after bad. If we can fix it and it will be reliable, he may do that. If it turns out it's going to cost a lot and he needs to have somebody come out every time there is an issue, he will definitely bail.
post #11 of 48 Old 07-31-2017, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

for just audio it is very simple. I have 7 zones of audio (inside and out), 4 zones of TV sharing 5 different devices, alarm, cameras, 30+ lights, garage doors, door locks, motion sensors, Alexa and who remembers what else in Control4. My original botched stuff and like you I was on the fence. Went to C4forums.com - I got a new dealer who has never been in my house and my system runs just fine.

Controlling a few audio zones should be a walk in the park. I bet Strohj or others could fix it in a short reasonable time frame remotely. Either some OS is out of date, hardware not bound correctly, some mix up of IP addresses, etc. C4 really requires a solid IT network and someone who can set up a fairly rock solid network. Sometimes its as simple as making changes in a switch/IP network configuration and it is all solved. These are areas Magnolia is usually lacking
post #12 of 48 Old 08-01-2017, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for all the help. I will definitely check out c4forums.com. I wasn't aware of that forum, but will take advantage of it next time we are in Arizona.
post #13 of 48 Old 06-10-2019, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm finally back in Arizona. I'm able to fire up the Control 4 zone amp which is connected to 4 music zone speakers. I see that Control 4 has an iPhone app -- would I be able to control that zone amp through just the iPhone app without needing to do any Control 4 programming? I don't think my brother-in--law wants to invest any more in this system, but if we could get it working with the iPhone app just for 2-channel music, I think he'd be pretty thrilled.

I downloaded the C4 (OS2 I guessed) iPhone app but as soon as I try to use it it asks for the the C4 email/password, which I'll have to get from Best Buy/Magnolia for that (I'm not sure if they even will have records of it).

Would the iPhone app allow us to control the zone amp without "programming"?
post #14 of 48 Old 06-10-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
I'm finally back in Arizona. I'm able to fire up the Control 4 zone amp which is connected to 4 music zone speakers. I see that Control 4 has an iPhone app -- would I be able to control that zone amp through just the iPhone app without needing to do any Control 4 programming? I don't think my brother-in--law wants to invest any more in this system, but if we could get it working with the iPhone app just for 2-channel music, I think he'd be pretty thrilled.

I downloaded the C4 (OS2 I guessed) iPhone app but as soon as I try to use it it asks for the the C4 email/password, which I'll have to get from Best Buy/Magnolia for that (I'm not sure if they even will have records of it).

Would the iPhone app allow us to control the zone amp without "programming"?
You need his Control 4 user account information. The information he would use to log into customer.control4.com. If all he has is his email address he can attempt to reset the password. With that username and password you can use the iPhone app. However, if he doesn't have a 4-Sight license, he won't be able to access the system with the app unless he's on the same local network at the system.

Did Best Buy also install the network? What's the router? How was it "not working"? The Denon may be dead, and replacing it may not be that difficult depending on how you're using it.

My advice, stop dealing with Best Buy. Find a local C4 dealer and allow them to look at the system, as an HC-800 and a 4 Zone amp, if that's all there is, should be a breeze to get up and running, unless there are network issues present. Many dealers could even do the work remotely if necessary.
ezlotogura and pjp like this.
post #15 of 48 Old 06-11-2019, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post
You need his Control 4 user account information. The information he would use to log into customer.control4.com. If all he has is his email address he can attempt to reset the password. With that username and password you can use the iPhone app. However, if he doesn't have a 4-Sight license, he won't be able to access the system with the app unless he's on the same local network at the system.

Did Best Buy also install the network? What's the router? How was it "not working"? The Denon may be dead, and replacing it may not be that difficult depending on how you're using it.

My advice, stop dealing with Best Buy. Find a local C4 dealer and allow them to look at the system, as an HC-800 and a 4 Zone amp, if that's all there is, should be a breeze to get up and running, unless there are network issues present. Many dealers could even do the work remotely if necessary.
Thanks. Great info. We definitely will not deal with Best Buy/Magnolia going forward. It's good to know that somebody else can take over the setup. I set them up with a set of Edifier standalone bluetooth speakers so they have music and, to be honest, that meets about 80% of their needs.

On the other hand, they have a ton of speakers in the ceiling and the Control 4 stuff in the closet, so if I can get that working with just the iPhone app and drive the audio with a simple streamer like chromecast audio, then that would be very cool and then they might look at replacing the AVR and getting somebody to set it up. The Control 4 remote they had was pretty sparse, display-wise, even when it was working, so the iPhone app interface will likely be a lot more approachable for them also.

He should definitely have a Control 4 license, I'll need to see if we can figure out what email address he used (he had several business and home emails back then, some of which no longer exist).
post #16 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. Great info. We definitely will not deal with Best Buy/Magnolia going forward. It's good to know that somebody else can take over the setup. I set them up with a set of Edifier standalone bluetooth speakers so they have music and, to be honest, that meets about 80% of their needs.

On the other hand, they have a ton of speakers in the ceiling and the Control 4 stuff in the closet, so if I can get that working with just the iPhone app and drive the audio with a simple streamer like chromecast audio, then that would be very cool and then they might look at replacing the AVR and getting somebody to set it up. The Control 4 remote they had was pretty sparse, display-wise, even when it was working, so the iPhone app interface will likely be a lot more approachable for them also.

He should definitely have a Control 4 license, I'll need to see if we can figure out what email address he used (he had several business and home emails back then, some of which no longer exist).
With the equipment he has, I would upgrade the software to 2.10.6. With that version he can play a number of streaming audio sources (TuneIn, Pandora, SiriusXM, etc.) and definitely be able to take advatange of those speakers.

Also, if it is a vacation home, he should consider getting a thermostat programmed into the system, as well as the security system with a camera or two. I have a couple clients with vacation homes in Florida, and we like to monitor the thermostats during the summer months, while they're not there, to make sure the systems are operating smoothly. And the peace of mind with having the security system tied in is also nice.

Get the "customer.control4.com" login information, and make sure to get him a 4Sight license. If you need further help, PM me and I can remotely check the system for you.
post #17 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post
With the equipment he has, I would upgrade the software to 2.10.6. With that version he can play a number of streaming audio sources (TuneIn, Pandora, SiriusXM, etc.) and definitely be able to take advatange of those speakers.

Also, if it is a vacation home, he should consider getting a thermostat programmed into the system, as well as the security system with a camera or two. I have a couple clients with vacation homes in Florida, and we like to monitor the thermostats during the summer months, while they're not there, to make sure the systems are operating smoothly. And the peace of mind with having the security system tied in is also nice.

Get the "customer.control4.com" login information, and make sure to get him a 4Sight license. If you need further help, PM me and I can remotely check the system for you.
you can go nuts but for a vacation home something to monitor water/leaks is nice too. C4 has some options via 3rd party hardware/drivers that can detect leaks, notify the home owner, shut off the main water valve into the house, etc.
post #18 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the help. We went to the Best Buy, now they have Magnolia, but they only had Geek Squad when this was installed. The Magnolia guy can't see the Best Buy records, but he is going to try to hunt them down, either with the Best Buy guys or with Control 4 directly and will call me back when he has the info.

Will the C4 iPhone app control the 4-zone amp directly, or does it need to go through the IC-800 controller? Currently the IC-800 is powered down, need to dig through wires to find the power supply for the IC-800.
post #19 of 48 Old 06-13-2019, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help. We went to the Best Buy, now they have Magnolia, but they only had Geek Squad when this was installed. The Magnolia guy can't see the Best Buy records, but he is going to try to hunt them down, either with the Best Buy guys or with Control 4 directly and will call me back when he has the info.

Will the C4 iPhone app control the 4-zone amp directly, or does it need to go through the IC-800 controller? Currently the IC-800 is powered down, need to dig through wires to find the power supply for the IC-800.
hc-800 is the brains/controller. without it the iOS C4 app is junk. the brains (hc-800) controls everything. if that is down (broken, powered down, etc) nothing will work automation wise. the C4 lights work on their own without a controller, just no programming, but simple on/off/dim would work on lighting but that's about it.
post #20 of 48 Old 06-13-2019, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, thanks. I found the 19v power supply and it's powered up. I also moved the Ethernet cables (for controller & amp) from an Ethernet switch that was connected to nothing to 2 of the 4 posts on the back of the wifi router.

Still waiting for login information from BB/Magnolia.
post #21 of 48 Old 06-13-2019, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I found the 19v power supply and it's powered up. I also moved the Ethernet cables (for controller & amp) from an Ethernet switch that was connected to nothing to 2 of the 4 posts on the back of the wifi router.

Still waiting for login information from BB/Magnolia.
so the amp/controller had either wires going into a switch and that switch was not connected to the router? id connect the switch to that router before connecting the devices directly, but that is just me.

you asked before if you could use the app with the controller down. can you log in now that the hc800 is powered up? if so, on the app just go to settings (big icon) > click the arrow next to your project and the account info is there and should have the registered email address
go to customer.control4.com and do a password reset based off that email

if you cannot log in via the app then you really do need the user name/password. call c4 directly, tell them you want to switch from Magnolia to another dealer but want to see what is going on and you lost your log in credentials, so if they'll assist.
pjp likes this.
post #22 of 48 Old 06-13-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
so the amp/controller had either wires going into a switch and that switch was not connected to the router? id connect the switch to that router before connecting the devices directly, but that is just me.

you asked before if you could use the app with the controller down. can you log in now that the hc800 is powered up? if so, on the app just go to settings (big icon) > click the arrow next to your project and the account info is there and should have the registered email address
go to customer.control4.com and do a password reset based off that email

if you cannot log in via the app then you really do need the user name/password. call c4 directly, tell them you want to switch from Magnolia to another dealer but want to see what is going on and you lost your log in credentials, so if they'll assist.
Yeah, he definitely needs to have the Controller and Amp connected to the network.

Like EZ said, reset the password on customer.control4.com. Log into the account. Click on "My Account", then click on "Smart Home Pro". There is a button "Change my pro" that you then click to select a new dealer of record. At that point, that dealer can access the system and diagnose remotely. Photos of the setup would be helpful. Even a wiring/layout sketch would be semi-helpful.
pjp likes this.
post #23 of 48 Old 06-14-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

For now, I have everything connected directly to the Wifi router ports just to eliminate as many variables as possible. I will go back to the switch once I get the system working, but right now direct seems safer (and I also can't find the power supply to the switch). Now I have the controller, 4 zone amp, Denon AVR, and Control 4 streamer box connected to the 4 WiFi router Ethernet ports. The SR-250 remote control now connects to the system and seems to have retained the programming. Nothing I try to control works though. Is there any way to get the account email from the SR-250?

The iPhone app was never set up -- which is a shame because it would have made things much easier for them. Controlling it with the sparse display on the SR-250 is not intuitive.

I still have not heard from Best Buy -- will give them another day before I call to ask about status. i will post some photos later, though they won't be too enlightening.
post #24 of 48 Old 06-14-2019, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
For now, I have everything connected directly to the Wifi router ports just to eliminate as many variables as possible. I will go back to the switch once I get the system working, but right now direct seems safer (and I also can't find the power supply to the switch). Now I have the controller, 4 zone amp, Denon AVR, and Control 4 streamer box connected to the 4 WiFi router Ethernet ports. The SR-250 remote control now connects to the system and seems to have retained the programming. Nothing I try to control works though. Is there any way to get the account email from the SR-250?

The iPhone app was never set up -- which is a shame because it would have made things much easier for them. Controlling it with the sparse display on the SR-250 is not intuitive.

I still have not heard from Best Buy -- will give them another day before I call to ask about status. i will post some photos later, though they won't be too enlightening.
wasting your time with Best Buy. Call C4, tell them you are helping out a family member or whatever, can they look up the account and reset the password. You'll still need a dealer of record. I can help point you to some good remote ones if you want.

Also, i know you said your brother had a lot of email addresses, but honestly, go to customer.control4.com and do a password reset on the known ones, that would take less time than calling C4 or waiting on Magnolia.

By C4 streamer box do you mean controller? HC800, HC250, EA1, EA3 or EA5?
post #25 of 48 Old 06-14-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
wasting your time with Best Buy. Call C4, tell them you are helping out a family member or whatever, can they look up the account and reset the password. You'll still need a dealer of record. I can help point you to some good remote ones if you want.

Also, i know you said your brother had a lot of email addresses, but honestly, go to customer.control4.com and do a password reset on the known ones, that would take less time than calling C4 or waiting on Magnolia.

If you don't know the original email address used to set up the account, C4 should be able to look that up with the HC-800's MAC address.

He could mean the old Music Bridge, which is not needed now.
post #26 of 48 Old 06-14-2019, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will try that. I was thinking from the app error message that it was a C4 domain email address they were looking for, but I see on the customer portal that it takes a personal email.

Quote:
It is labeled "HS45 Wireless Music Bridge". I don't know whether this is intended to be a music source itself for the music zones, or as some kind of bridge to the Denon AVR (I suspect the former).
post #27 of 48 Old 06-14-2019, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I will try that. I was thinking from the app error message that it was a C4 domain email address they were looking for, but I see on the customer portal that it takes a personal email.

It is labeled "HS45 Wireless Music Bridge". I don't know whether this is intended to be a music source itself for the music zones, or as some kind of bridge to the Denon AVR (I suspect the former).
correct, personal email
that music bridge is really not needed anymore but you can keep it there for the time being, its not going to hurt anything
pjp likes this.
post #28 of 48 Old 06-17-2019, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the continued help. I tried all email addresses, no success. I'm not even sure the password reset request worked because nothing happens when I click the reset button (it says "password reset sent" even before pressing it). We did not receive reset emails for the 2 of the 3 possible emails we still have access to. It's possible a customer login was never set up because he hasn't needed one until now when trying to run the iPhone app.

I entered a C4 support case online asking for a login. I provided detailed information on the situation and the contact at Magnolia. I did not receive a confirmation email back immediately, but hopefully the support case was opened.
post #29 of 48 Old 06-19-2019, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

I was able to login, Control 4 sent the email address (it was his wife's email) and, although password reset didn't work on Microsoft Edge or Safari, I was able to reset it with Firefox.

Now I can get into the app, but C4 support said the 64-bit iPhone app will not work until I update the C4's software. When I click the update link in the C4 customer portal, it directs me to Magnolia's phone number. The iPhone app doesn't find any C4 system to connect to. I'm not sure if that's because the C4 software is old or because something is wrong with controller network config (though it's plugged directly into the Wifi Router ethernet port).
post #30 of 48 Old 06-20-2019, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was able to login, Control 4 sent the email address (it was his wife's email) and, although password reset didn't work on Microsoft Edge or Safari, I was able to reset it with Firefox.

Now I can get into the app, but C4 support said the 64-bit iPhone app will not work until I update the C4's software. When I click the update link in the C4 customer portal, it directs me to Magnolia's phone number. The iPhone app doesn't find any C4 system to connect to. I'm not sure if that's because the C4 software is old or because something is wrong with controller network config (though it's plugged directly into the Wifi Router ethernet port).
When you register a new device you need to be on the same network as the C4 controller - aka you need to be on wifi in the house where the C4 controller is plugged in and must all be on the same network. At this point you have access to your system via the customer.control4.com portal - good step. Find yourself a remote dealer, they can do a team viewer session and walk you through step by step what is needed, what you need to do next etc.

What version of the C4 software are you on? Should be able to tell I think in Customer.Control4.com portal. You need a dealer to update which is why it points you to Magnolia, they are your dealer of record but you can change that to any dealer in 2 seconds, you just need to find a better dealer.
pjp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page