Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-06-2017, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Help: What is this?

Hey Guys,

Walked a job today for a new client. They moved into a model home with onQ keypads throughout the house, and the OnQ lyriQ distribution panel in the smart panel closet.

But... in the family room, under the TV, they have this cabinet (barely deep enough to house components) packed to the brim with components, wiring, extension cords,
etc. Place is a mess. Looked like a tornado hit it, then Charter came and did there magic. Modem, router, cable box, splitter, way to long of wires... all stacked on top of each other. **** was bad. I didn't dive in too deep, but did notice this. Really had no clue, as I had never seen this before. What is this, and why is it here?
FRONT:

POOR BACK:

Since onQ works by running speaker wire off of the powered Wall Plates to the In Ceiling Speakers, there should be none of this wire in this cabinet.

The only thing I can think of, is that they are using this to power the keypads. onQ makes a powered device that usually is in the smart panel, then you run 16/4 to the keypads to give them power. But, it was not in there.. just the distribution panel and a switch.

Are they using this for the same thing? I was unable to trace the one input speaker line ( in the middle) , because of the tangled mess.

Help? Ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-06-2017, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 896
You said this was a model home? My guess would be it has nothing to do with the OnQ system, but rather is a rigged-up terminal block to utilize a 5.1 pre-wire setup in the "family" room to a simple mono/stereo source... I've seen lots of temporary setups in model homes that are just trying to make the built-in speakers work with something, and for some reason no one likes to set them up correctly - even though they're trying to sell this stuff as features!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-06-2017, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
You said this was a model home? My guess would be it has nothing to do with the OnQ system, but rather is a rigged-up terminal block to utilize a 5.1 pre-wire setup in the "family" room to a simple mono/stereo source... I've seen lots of temporary setups in model homes that are just trying to make the built-in speakers work with something, and for some reason no one likes to set them up correctly - even though they're trying to sell this stuff as features!

Jeff
Thank you Jeff for the reply.

This house had a 5.1 prewired wall plate in the cabinet next to it with a low end yamaha receiver and blu ray player. This HT room was working when I got there..... , but def appreciate the feedback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-07-2017, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
This house had a 5.1 prewired wall plate in the cabinet next to it with a low end yamaha receiver and blu ray player. This HT room was working when I got there..... , but def appreciate the feedback
Ok, we can only guess using the info you provide...

I assume those wires are all going to speakers in the room - the 4-conductor cables are likely for L/R and surround L/R.

You have those images labeled "Front" and "Back", but is that a box or a plate? The selector switch and screws don't line up, but regardless, it looks like a handmade piece.

It's not for powering OnQ keypads - extremely unlikely there would be a 4-conductor cable used for that purpose.

You're going to have to trace out some of those wires, is anything labeled? Not really much else for us to go on, you'll have to unravel the rat's nest first...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-07-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Looks like a 70 volt volume control, though I don't know what 'poor back' is a picture of. The back of the plate? The back of a junction box, covered with the plate? (Edit - as Jeff questioned. )

I bet those 4-conductor cables are running to each keypad, so speakers could be powered centrally or at the keypad, either conventionally (4 conductors) or with a 70V system (2 conductors).

Some speakers are both 70V and conventional, but check yours.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 10 Old 11-07-2017, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Looks like a 70 volt volume control, though I don't know what 'poor back' is a picture of. The back of the plate? The back of a junction box, covered with the plate? (Edit - as Jeff questioned. )

I bet those 4-conductor cables are running to each keypad, so speakers could be powered centrally or at the keypad, either conventionally (4 conductors) or with a 70V system (2 conductors).

Some speakers are both 70V and conventional, but check yours.
Thanks for the replies. I apologize that the pics weren't great. I should have been a bit more clear.

Pictures 2, 3, and 4, are of a box with that numeral selector on the front of the box. Box is the size of a cable modem laying down. On the back of the box, you have one input in the middle (red black) and 4 sets of outputs. I had labeled that photo Poor Back as the quality and wiring was poor. Looks like the terminals were not even set in there correctly.

@Neurorad s post, in the past I have seen builders run extra wires so it could be controlled centrally, or from the keypads, but usually they would leave those wires in the wall or on a wall plate. I really dont know why they would hook it up to that switching box. And yes, nothing is labeled.

@jautor post, Legrand OnQ recommends 16/4 speaker wire to supply power to the Keypads. I thought this was strange as well, until I pulled up the PDF diagram. " For ease of installation, connect the red wire and white wire to the red (plus) portion of TB1 and the black and green wire to the black (minus) portion of TB1. "

The only reason I thought this was a viable answer, is that I didn't see anywhere else in the home or smart panel that had wires running to power each keypad. The only OnQ could be powered over the singe Cat5 cable, but the new ones, need separate power.

But in any case, I need to go back to get that rats nest untangled. Im just glad I wasn't overlooking something super simple in that weird switch box.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-08-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That volume control is for a 70V speaker system. Each pair of cables running from that box supplies a zone. The cables from that box are supposed to supply the speakers.

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...ifications.pdf

The pins from those spring clips look like they extend into the box, where they are probably wired in parallel to the red and black posts. Pull the volume control plate, look inside.

http://storecomllc.com/70%20Volt%20S...eshooting.html

http://sound.whsites.net/articles/line-amps.html

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #8 of 10 Old 11-08-2017, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Whoa...

Fantastic work @Neurorad . I havent been back on site yet, but still a little confused on why they would be using this paired up with an OnQ system.

Found this wiring diagram *(different brand than above)

Still don't know where the wires from this box go. From above, you said they should supply the speakers. But, the way those LyriQ keypads work, speaker wire should go from the keypad, to the speakers?

Plus, how are these keypads getting powered? Still no sign of the power supply system AU1001. https://www.legrand.us/onq/audio-vid...io/au1001.aspx

Have never seen this type of box used in a home application. Ive seen 70v used for restaurants and some business, but not for home use.

I defiantly appreciate the help, Ill let you know what I figure out. It still baffles me why they wired it like this, instead of the normal way to wire a house with onQ keypads? CAT6 to Keypad, then Speaker Wire from Keypads to Speakers.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-08-2017, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It could be an either/or system, wired for both budget and more profitable installs. Whatever the buyer wants.

Or, one company installed OnQ, and another was later hired to cheaply provide just music.

The DIY box says to me that installer does this exact same setup regularly, possibly for many demo houses.

Or, the 70V system is for the outside speakers - common application in residential. Any speakers in the bushes, or under eaves?

post #10 of 10 Old 11-08-2017, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
It could be an either/or system, wired for both budget and more profitable installs. Whatever the buyer wants.

Or, one company installed OnQ, and another was later hired to cheaply provide just music.

The DIY box says to me that installer does this exact same setup regularly, possibly for many demo houses.

Or, the 70V system is for the outside speakers - common application in residential. Any speakers in the bushes, or under eaves?
2 outdoor polk speakers *non 70v , and a onQ keypad at the back door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page