VSSL a.6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 12-05-2017, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Lenthan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
VSSL a.6

I was wondering if anyone has used this product? Seems like a decent solution for Chromecast audio in multiple zones but I'm having trouble finding much info on it.

Thanks
Lenthan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 12-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Member
 
ELECTRICDON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just purchased the A.6, but have not had time to install it yet. Hopefully I will find time within the next couple of weeks. I'll report back when I have some experience with it.
ELECTRICDON is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 12-15-2017, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Lenthan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thanks, that would be very helpful. The system looks promising and I am thinking installing in the new house we are building.
Lenthan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 Old 12-23-2017, 10:25 AM
Member
 
ELECTRICDON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ok, easy to set up via vssl app and google home app. Has worked perfectly with my google home mini. I'm going to give it another week, but probably will order another to expand past the six zones. Let me know if you need sourcing and I can point you in the right direction.
ELECTRICDON is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 12-27-2017, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Lindahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,843
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Way cheaper to use a $500 auto-sensing multichannel amplifier with 6 $35 Chromecast audios hooked up. But other than price, looks like a cool product.
Lindahl is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 12-28-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MikeSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,026
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 53
It's nice to see the CE companies begin to recognize the future with software driven controls and no more keypads and proprietary UI's. Agreed that this seems like a costly way to avoid doing some relatively simple integration, but there are definitely market segments that would need this solution and can pay.

It's great to see products like this coming on the market. I am sure others will follow.


mike
MikeSM is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 01-05-2018, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Lenthan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRICDON View Post
Ok, easy to set up via vssl app and google home app. Has worked perfectly with my google home mini. I'm going to give it another week, but probably will order another to expand past the six zones. Let me know if you need sourcing and I can point you in the right direction.
Thank your for the update. I ended up picking up an a.6 and got it hooked up in my current system temporarily(just 1 zone at the moment, it's to cold to worry about my outdoor speakers). I'm currently building a house so it will not be in it's final location for several months. So far it's working exactly how I had hoped it would. It was super easy to hook up and works perfectly with Spotify and my Google Home/assistant. You can adjust the volume from inside the VSSL app, from whatever app you are streaming or by voice commands via Google assistant. I can set up groups to play the same music in multiple zone and on my Google home and home mini.

My system once I get it set up in the new house will have 6 zones, 5 in ceiling speaker zones and 1 outdoor set of speakers. This set up is going to be a whole lot more "family friendly" in that my wife or kids will actually be able to use it.

For anyone looking for a solution to add app based, chrome cast based or Google home controlled audio to a whole house system I would definitely recommend you check this out.
Lenthan is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 04-28-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,332
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 879
I just ordered 3 of three channel unlts.

I spoke with their rep and they are getting airplay2 loaded in via firmware the next few weeks.

I was waiting for a whole home clean solution (without chromecasts or airport expresses hanging all over it) with AIRPLAY2.

airplay 2 is the absolute best plan in my view because we are already on our phone all the time.

On the phone is where we do our library functions for our music (such as adding to our library or working on playlists).

Voice control via homekit/siri is somewhat useful as well, but really a GOOD connection via the phone and a great wifi network is ideal IMO.


I love the fact that it has a 7 band PEQ as well which can be helpful in making some basic adjustments to bass response when you are using in-ceiling speakers. Audyssey or Dirac (basically a mini-dsp) would be even better but really I don't spend that much time nitpicking my personal total home system.

If I was building a new house with a subwoofer in EVERY room, I might want a more cohesive bass management system.

I think the PERFECT product would be a merge between VSSL and MINI-DSP with sub outputs for every zone. We are likely getting nothing of that sort any time soon or a mini-dsp with airplay 2 on every channel so I won't hold my breath.

In the meantime, i am excited to take delivery of the 3 channel VSSL unit. I ordered two for downstairs and one for upstairs. I decided not to buy the 6 channel because the 3 channel looks better on my rack (vain I know) and the 3 channel is easier to separate if I want to split the location of my actual amplifier. I like the fact that it is class D, quiet, fanless. These are all critical features for me. I like the cohesive app and the fact that I don't really have to tweak it once it is fully setup. Once I EQ the thing (with some room measurements to help), I really don't have to touch the thing again.

That last point is why I have moved everything in my house to homekit and airplay2. Now, almost everything in my house will be airplay2 or homekit compatible. The ONLY gear that is missing from that ecosystem for me now is the Door locks and the security system and doorbell. I am waiting for coherent products to emerge before changing all that just yet. I suspect in a year or so, everything I want will have been invented and released.

I used to have a control4 but they have taken FOREVER to update to airplay2 and have not done so yet. On top of that, they provide no roadmap to when that is going to happen. And then when it happens, I have to pay a dealer god knows what for updates and service calls. Homekit with voice control is a definitely viable alternative to all that complexity.

Blazar!
blazar is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 05-02-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,332
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Just finished setting up my first VSSL A.3 and I have to say it is just about everything I wanted in a device.

Being able to set max volume and having an SPL meter on the actual phone to calibrate i nice.

Airplay 1 so far in each channel is fine, but the firmware update in a couple of weeks will have airplay2.

The Parametric EQ is really sufficient for tuning a bit. It is pretty much indispensable in terms of dealing with in ceiling speakers which otherwise sound mediocre due to room effects. The EQ does not have a Q setting for the bands but otherwise quite decent.

It would be nice to have a basic test tone measurement to do EQ or even DIRAC in the system would be amazing but probably overkill considering this is not designed to be setup with separate subwoofer channels and bass management.

I would recommend getting the BIGGEST in ceiling speakers you possibly can from the beginning so you get decent bass response.

All in all I set the max volume on the VSSL to about 30% since it is otherwise way to loud. I like that you can set the max volume per channel so that everything is just right.

I love the fact that there is a completely different "channel" where you can permanently set zones for "party mode". This is better than what is native to airplay and it allows a cohesive and easy to discover party mode compared to what you would normally have to do with airplay.

This is really the product to beat at this point and it is strongly recommended.

I'll report back once the Airplay 2 comes out.

Once apple gets their act together on doorbells and whatnot, you should in theory be able to broadcast doorbells via airplay2 eventually. This unit has some BUS inputs so that might be a possibility for distributed doorbells (which would in theory interrupt or lower the music volume).


I would say these are definitely worth the money for the fit, finish, function, general ease of use, EQ, sound quality, 1u rack space, network in and out, and the generally brilliant way that they pretty much "thought of everything".

Blazar!
blazar is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 05-06-2019, 02:55 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
Just finished setting up my first VSSL A.3 and I have to say it is just about everything I wanted in a device.

Being able to set max volume and having an SPL meter on the actual phone to calibrate i nice.

Airplay 1 so far in each channel is fine, but the firmware update in a couple of weeks will have airplay2.

The Parametric EQ is really sufficient for tuning a bit. It is pretty much indispensable in terms of dealing with in ceiling speakers which otherwise sound mediocre due to room effects. The EQ does not have a Q setting for the bands but otherwise quite decent.

It would be nice to have a basic test tone measurement to do EQ or even DIRAC in the system would be amazing but probably overkill considering this is not designed to be setup with separate subwoofer channels and bass management.

I would recommend getting the BIGGEST in ceiling speakers you possibly can from the beginning so you get decent bass response.

All in all I set the max volume on the VSSL to about 30% since it is otherwise way to loud. I like that you can set the max volume per channel so that everything is just right.

I love the fact that there is a completely different "channel" where you can permanently set zones for "party mode". This is better than what is native to airplay and it allows a cohesive and easy to discover party mode compared to what you would normally have to do with airplay.

This is really the product to beat at this point and it is strongly recommended.

I'll report back once the Airplay 2 comes out.

Once apple gets their act together on doorbells and whatnot, you should in theory be able to broadcast doorbells via airplay2 eventually. This unit has some BUS inputs so that might be a possibility for distributed doorbells (which would in theory interrupt or lower the music volume).


I would say these are definitely worth the money for the fit, finish, function, general ease of use, EQ, sound quality, 1u rack space, network in and out, and the generally brilliant way that they pretty much "thought of everything".
Hi Blazar!

I work for VSSL. Thanks for your fair review about VSSL. I think you caught the WHY behind our product, tight seamless integration with a mobile smart home ecosystem.

I have an update about Airplay2. We are working on it and will officially support it, but it will be a longer than a few weeks. We are in discussion with Apple about the certification. Timeline is about 2 months from now.

Since our reps promised you Airplay2 in a few weeks, please DM me and I can invite you to a private beta test of Airplay2 on the A.3.

Thanks!
darrin_arlington is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 05-06-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,332
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin_arlington View Post
Hi Blazar!

I work for VSSL. Thanks for your fair review about VSSL. I think you caught the WHY behind our product, tight seamless integration with a mobile smart home ecosystem.

I have an update about Airplay2. We are working on it and will officially support it, but it will be a longer than a few weeks. We are in discussion with Apple about the certification. Timeline is about 2 months from now.

Since our reps promised you Airplay2 in a few weeks, please DM me and I can invite you to a private beta test of Airplay2 on the A.3.

Thanks!
Not a problem, I've been waiting for the perfect product for about 2 years.

I pulled out a pile of stuff recently including Control4, Sonos, and airport expresses. Time to ebay some more stuff off. Wiring is much cleaner now. Installation is a breeze. This setup could effectively be a lifetime product as long as airplay2 is around. Amplification is most definitely acoustically better than with my Sonos amps (older version) that I removed with better EQ capabilities - in particular these amps although only 50 watts per channel, seem more powerful than sonos. The class D design is likely to be responsible for that as I have noticed the feeling of limitless power with most class D amps.

I set the amps at only about 30% max power for most of my speakers and that is more than enough for my in wall and in-ceiling. For my bigger martin logan in-walls, I set max volume to about 35%.

The amps are more than enough for most distributed setups in terms of power.

A note: each of the amp modules shows up separately on your network and you can see them all on my Ubiquiti Unifi. Essentially each is a separate device inside the box with one power supply.

Blazar!
blazar is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 07-17-2019, 12:14 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
I just ordered 3 of three channel unlts.

I spoke with their rep and they are getting airplay2 loaded in via firmware the next few weeks.

I was waiting for a whole home clean solution (without chromecasts or airport expresses hanging all over it) with AIRPLAY2.

airplay 2 is the absolute best plan in my view because we are already on our phone all the time.

On the phone is where we do our library functions for our music (such as adding to our library or working on playlists).

Voice control via homekit/siri is somewhat useful as well, but really a GOOD connection via the phone and a great wifi network is ideal IMO.


I love the fact that it has a 7 band PEQ as well which can be helpful in making some basic adjustments to bass response when you are using in-ceiling speakers. Audyssey or Dirac (basically a mini-dsp) would be even better but really I don't spend that much time nitpicking my personal total home system.

If I was building a new house with a subwoofer in EVERY room, I might want a more cohesive bass management system.

I think the PERFECT product would be a merge between VSSL and MINI-DSP with sub outputs for every zone. We are likely getting nothing of that sort any time soon or a mini-dsp with airplay 2 on every channel so I won't hold my breath.

In the meantime, i am excited to take delivery of the 3 channel VSSL unit. I ordered two for downstairs and one for upstairs. I decided not to buy the 6 channel because the 3 channel looks better on my rack (vain I know) and the 3 channel is easier to separate if I want to split the location of my actual amplifier. I like the fact that it is class D, quiet, fanless. These are all critical features for me. I like the cohesive app and the fact that I don't really have to tweak it once it is fully setup. Once I EQ the thing (with some room measurements to help), I really don't have to touch the thing again.

That last point is why I have moved everything in my house to homekit and airplay2. Now, almost everything in my house will be airplay2 or homekit compatible. The ONLY gear that is missing from that ecosystem for me now is the Door locks and the security system and doorbell. I am waiting for coherent products to emerge before changing all that just yet. I suspect in a year or so, everything I want will have been invented and released.

I used to have a control4 but they have taken FOREVER to update to airplay2 and have not done so yet. On top of that, they provide no roadmap to when that is going to happen. And then when it happens, I have to pay a dealer god knows what for updates and service calls. Homekit with voice control is a definitely viable alternative to all that complexity.
Good afternoon blazar,

I am looking into possibly purchasing either the A.3 or A.6 series of VSSL Whole Home Audio. I noticed you have fairly good experience with your A.3 unit. Are you still enjoying your unit? Any issues that you have run into with the unit? Another question, when you purchased your unit or units, did you buy directly from VSSL or did you go through a A/V installer company? I know you said you spoke with one of their REPS but i wasn't sure if you purchased through them or not, and if you did how was your experience with that process.

I hope i haven't asked you too many questions, but i am in the process of possibly getting 2 units myself and just wanted to know if anyone else has already gone through the process of purchasing directly through VSSL, if you have.

Thanks,
Greengoblin501
Greengoblin501 is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 07-25-2019, 01:13 PM
Newbie
 
palpatine242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can I play different music in 6 different rooms (or more if I have 2 units) at the same time?
Can it play high-resolution music (24/196)?
Can it stream from Tidal and Quboz?
Is it getting the stream directly from my phone or directly from music streaming services?
If I ask a Google Assistant question to a Google Home Mini, will the response go to that room's in-ceiling speakers?
Does it work with Google Nest Hub / Nest Hub Max?
Can I use it for intercom and door bell?
How does it compare with Sonos Connect/Connect Amp/Amp?

Thanks!
palpatine242 is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 08-01-2019, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,332
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine242 View Post
Can I play different music in 6 different rooms (or more if I have 2 units) at the same time?
Can it play high-resolution music (24/196)?
Can it stream from Tidal and Quboz?
Is it getting the stream directly from my phone or directly from music streaming services?
If I ask a Google Assistant question to a Google Home Mini, will the response go to that room's in-ceiling speakers?
Does it work with Google Nest Hub / Nest Hub Max?
Can I use it for intercom and door bell?
How does it compare with Sonos Connect/Connect Amp/Amp?

Thanks!
lot of reasonable questions. since i use airplay and it is not 24/196, im not so sure about this point. i dont use tidal and google, only apple, apple music, and airplay. i gave up on waiting for hi-res audio for my favorite tracks long ago...

you can use it for doorbells and there is integration available for all sorts of home automation systems now such as C4 but i haven't bothered to integrate anything at this point. I found that a cheap $50 wireless doorbell is pretty good until a homekit devices comes out.

still waiting on vssl to release the airplay 2 firmware. ive heard nothing new this summer so still waiting on an update on that.

i most definitely prefer it to sonos which was a mess of boxes and whatnot.

Blazar!
blazar is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 08-05-2019, 10:46 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Purchase info for Canada

I am from Canada, and I am having difficulty finding retail outlets where I can actually purchase VSSL products. I am also not able to find out how much these units cost. I have also found that the VSSL A.1 amp is now available which I would like to start with to see how the VSSL system works. Any experience with this amp and where to purchase VSSL in Canada?
Anthony Koutstaal is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 08-19-2019, 11:16 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: ATX
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin_arlington View Post
Hi Blazar!

I work for VSSL. Thanks for your fair review about VSSL. I think you caught the WHY behind our product, tight seamless integration with a mobile smart home ecosystem.

I have an update about Airplay2. We are working on it and will officially support it, but it will be a longer than a few weeks. We are in discussion with Apple about the certification. Timeline is about 2 months from now.

Since our reps promised you Airplay2 in a few weeks, please DM me and I can invite you to a private beta test of Airplay2 on the A.3.

Thanks!
Has the support for AirPlay 2 been released?
cks30 is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 08-20-2019, 12:40 PM
Senior Member
 
chadcj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
how would you say this compares to the HTD Lync solution? This appears to be able to start small and then add more where as the HTD you have to commit from the beginning
chadcj7 is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 08-21-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ifor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: La Quinta, CA
Posts: 2,696
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Koutstaal View Post
I am from Canada, and I am having difficulty finding retail outlets where I can actually purchase VSSL products. I am also not able to find out how much these units cost. I have also found that the VSSL A.1 amp is now available which I would like to start with to see how the VSSL system works. Any experience with this amp and where to purchase VSSL in Canada?
Where in Canada are you located?

AV Professional for 23 Years
ifor is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 08-28-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,332
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 879
It would be great to find out what the status of the beta testing for airplay 2 on the VSSL is these days. I have some new projects we are considering using VSSL (this time a commercial system) but we really need airplay 2 for the stability that provides.

I still am excited to see airplay 2 on my home VSSL unit as future airplay is a big reason I picked up the VSSL.

Blazar!
blazar is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 08-28-2019, 05:15 PM
Senior Member
 
chadcj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
It would be great to find out what the status of the beta testing for airplay 2 on the VSSL is these days. I have some new projects we are considering using VSSL (this time a commercial system) but we really need airplay 2 for the stability that provides.

I still am excited to see airplay 2 on my home VSSL unit as future airplay is a big reason I picked up the VSSL.
I talked to someone at VSSL last week as I am interested in this for my new home and he said that it is available for those that want to test it. Maybe try reaching out to them
chadcj7 is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old 08-29-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,332
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcj7 View Post
I talked to someone at VSSL last week as I am interested in this for my new home and he said that it is available for those that want to test it. Maybe try reaching out to them
As long as it in the works I'm ok, just hoping its almost ready. This is one of the last things I need to round out my apple based system at this point. Airplay 2 looks like a good option for a business environment as well

Blazar!
blazar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off