Is this HDbaseT extender for real? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe Fernand
  • 1 Post By JT Babin

post #1 of 16 Old 03-08-2018, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Is this HDbaseT extender for real?

Gents, I hope I'm in the right spot here. I'm sure this has been talked about a million times but it looks like I finally found what I've been looking for yet it seems to good to be true.

When I wired my unfinished basement I used CAT6 to a projector spot and my TV's spot on the wall back to the control space at the other end of the room, roughly 25ft to the projector's spot and let's say 50ft to the TV. My thought was an HDbaseT run when I was ready to upgrade to 4K but then HDR and HDMI 2.0/a/b 18GBps happened and I thought I was pooched. I've found CAT7 @ 4K 30Hz HDvaseT solutions but nothing with 444 4K @ 60Hz, until now...

https://www.amazon.com/HDbaseT-Exten.../dp/B0754K17HM

Is this too good to be true? It says 444 4K @ 60Hz UNCOMPRESSED over a single CAT6 cable. This would solve all my problems. Does anyone have actual proof this miracle works as described?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-08-2018, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Is this HDbaseT extender for real?

I had recently been doing a lot of research on this as well. This Monoprice version has the same capability and is $150:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30446

One note about the product you linked and the one I linked above is that neither of them will pass ethernet to your devices.

From my research, when you add the ethernet requirement (which I need for my application) the cost goes up significantly at this time. I have always been salivating over Atlona HDBaseT products, but this device (which adds ethernet in addition to your requirements) is $750:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...iABEgKjb_D_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link

Last edited by giomania; 03-08-2018 at 08:53 AM.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-08-2018, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that. Luckily for me this is just for video, all the audio will be handled by the other components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-08-2018, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

If you get the Monoprice unit, please let me know how it works

post #5 of 16 Old 03-08-2018, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Once the VT60 dies (knocks on wood) or I save up enough for a good projector, I'll let you know....

Thanks for the replies guys, this made my day.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-08-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 347
'Is this HDbaseT extender for real?' - not unless HDBT has released a secret chipset that has only been made available to a single company!

'This Monoprice version has the same capability' - the Monoprice Blackbird Description is pretty clear that the Extender utilises 'Visually lossless' compression.

Blackbird 4K HDBaseT Extender Kit, 70m, HDR, 18Gbps, HDCP 2.2, PoC, RS232, and Bi Directional IR

This Blackbird™ 4K HDBaseT™ Extender Kit allows you to extend [email protected] HDMI® signals to distances up to 229 feet (70 meters) and [email protected] signals to distances up to 131 feet (40 meters) over a single Cat6 Ethernet cable. It supports IR and RS-232 pass-through and employs Visually Lossless Compression (VLC) technology to ensure flawless UHD video transmission.

Joe
giomania likes this.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-08-2018, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Guess I missed that , and I am going to Google VLC now!

post #8 of 16 Old 03-08-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Interesting: https://www.synopsys.com/designware-...hd-2017q3.html

And it turns out the Atlona model also uses VLC.

post #9 of 16 Old 03-08-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Valens partnered with Lattice Semiconductor last Feb on the 4K UHD, 4:4:4 solution - https://www.valens.com/press-release...44-resolutions

At the recent ISE Exhibition, in Amsterdam, there were a few HDBT and non-HDBT solutions utilising other 'Visually lossless' compression technologies.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-08-2018, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 112
the original poster linked to a product on amazon sold by "No Hassle AV"

I have zero affiliation with them but if anyone knows me on this forum is that I am a C4 guy. Recently on the C4 Forums someone got an 8x8 "No Hassles AV" matrix and is loving it especially for the price.

Post is like a week old, so who knows about reliability or anything but if you want to read:

http://www.c4forums.com/topic/27040-...in-my-project/
post #11 of 16 Old 03-08-2018, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Again, a Monoprice version is cheaper, but good to know the performance is good. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...yABEgJbP_D_BwE

post #12 of 16 Old 03-08-2018, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I don't pride myself on being a video expert, more of a control expert, but...

I was always under the impression that 4k/60 all 4's wasn't possible with HDR because it was over 18Gb/s and that anything else was a marketing ploy. Or maybe that's just what some vendor told me. I always thought the best picture would come from 4k/24 4:2:0 because it would allow for 12-bit color like Dolby Vision HDR, while maxing out the 18Gb/s spec.

I read into some Atlona products just now and they say they support 4K/60 all 4's with HDR 10, which is 10 bit color, but I everything I see is so conflicting. Take this article for example http://community.cedia.net/blogs/dav.../4k-60-444-hdr , so someone's wrong here. I guess I tend to trust Atlona's specs more than some blog post, but the guy seems pretty convincing.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts.
giomania likes this.

James Babin - System designer myEasytek
Last Post: Low Voltage Wiring Guide
post #13 of 16 Old 03-16-2018, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not sure if your still looking but I have used 5+ AV Proconnect AC-EX40-444-KIT f these with excellent results. They work as intended.
For True 4K 60 4:4:4 extenders be prepared to pay for it, its not cheap. I wouldn't trust the No Hassle and definitely not the Monoprice stuff. The price point puts the whole product into question. They are literally 1/4th of the cost which is shocking. I have never had a monoprice product that didn't fail. I have even had bad Cat6 patch cables, bad hdmi splitters, bad rs232 extenders, hdmi cables that dont work properly. Monoprice is a POS, run away from mono and don't look back.
If you really want something thats 'no hassel' then get AVProConnect. They don't just have 1 product that is capable, but several.

Post count is too low to post links. Just google AVProConnect.

This stuff really works. No BS
post #14 of 16 Old 03-16-2018, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraydonH View Post
Not sure if your still looking but I have used 5+ AV Proconnect AC-EX40-444-KIT f these with excellent results. They work as intended.
For True 4K 60 4:4:4 extenders be prepared to pay for it, its not cheap. I wouldn't trust the No Hassle and definitely not the Monoprice stuff. The price point puts the whole product into question. They are literally 1/4th of the cost which is shocking. I have never had a monoprice product that didn't fail. I have even had bad Cat6 patch cables, bad hdmi splitters, bad rs232 extenders, hdmi cables that dont work properly. Monoprice is a POS, run away from mono and don't look back.
If you really want something thats 'no hassel' then get AVProConnect. They don't just have 1 product that is capable, but several.

Post count is too low to post links. Just google AVProConnect.

This stuff really works. No BS
Thanks for posting, but that kit you mentioned is more than I paid for the Atlona kit I bought. I have been hearing about Atlona for years, but never heard of this company. Not that it means much, as I am just a casual observer, but I’ll stick with what I bought.

And my Monoprice experience is markedly different. I have several of heir HDMI switches and splitters that have been working fine for years, except for one power adapter failure. I also have a lot of their cat 6 patch cables without issues.

I did try their keystone jacks, but they were terrible compared to Leviton, and I only buy Belden category cable for the installed runs, and Blue Jeans Cable (Belden again) HDMI cables. No 4K TV or Projector yet, however, and I know active or hybrid HDMI cables will be necessary down the road.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...Q0QwIJQ&adurl=

post #15 of 16 Old 03-16-2018, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Babin View Post

I was always under the impression that 4k/60 all 4's wasn't possible with HDR because it was over 18Gb/s and that anything else was a marketing ploy. Or maybe that's just what some vendor told me. I always thought the best picture would come from 4k/24 4:2:0 because it would allow for 12-bit color like Dolby Vision HDR, while maxing out the 18Gb/s spec.

I read into some Atlona products just now and they say they support 4K/60 all 4's with HDR 10, which is 10 bit color, but I everything I see is so conflicting. Take this article for example http://community.cedia.net/blogs/dav.../4k-60-444-hdr , so someone's wrong here. I guess I tend to trust Atlona's specs more than some blog post, but the guy seems pretty convincing.

What Atlona products? Maybe they are displayport? The blog post is correct
post #16 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Babin View Post

Here’s my understanding of what’s happening.

In the Atlona (and other vendor) “marketing” bullets you’ll see mentioned 4K/60, 4:4:4, HDR. They’re giving you the menu but not telling you directly that you can only have 3 of the 4. When you read the tech specs you’ll see that Dolby vision is only 30hz. This is the catch. Dolby vision at 4K with 12bit color, can only happen at 30hz. You could do Dolby vision 4k at 60hz but then you’d have to drop to 10bit color depth to fit into the 18Gbit HDMI 2.0 spec.

This is nicely articulated in this article: https://community.cedia.net/blogs/da...tes-for-4k-hdr

Last edited by monkeydeathsonic; 12-08-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page