• 1 Post By lattanzi

post #1 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Nuvo P30 Touchscreen

Hi,

Does anyone have experience working with the Nuvo P30 Touchscreen?
I would like to know if the Touchscreen can run any of the following apps;
1) Sonos or Heos
2) Lutron
3) Alarm.com
4) Logitech Harmony
5) Smartthings

And if the standard nuvo player portfolio app can be uninstalled.

Basically, I would like to place one of these controllers in different areas of my house and be able to use it similarly as a control4 touchscreen would to be able to control my lighting/shading, security, entertainment, WHA, intercom, etc....
Neurorad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Great idea, hope it works.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 899
From my conversations with NuVo at CEDIA, the P30 is "just" an Android-based display. It just runs the NuVo app, but allows anything else to run, too.

I haven't seen it outside the show floor to see that in action, but assuming that's correct, it is a fantastic solution for the wall-mounted touchscreen / keypad question.

What NuVo, Sonos, etc. need to do next is to add a "6ft interface" mode to their apps, so that the display can turn into a proper metadata display for the room, but still allow for the menus and content navigation to work when needed. Perhaps those menus need to be enlarged for that mode, too, since you can't move the "tablet" to the normally expected angle and distance... (and this really should be an obvious addition to these apps, especially for NuVo, since it replaces existing keypad/display functionality)

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-18-2018, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 155
nuvo said that the devices can run certain "apps". i know it has to be able to run the spotify app cause the profile system can't run spotify native like say pandora.

jeff, those keypads work over poe. do they connect to he network for use via hardwired poe of do they only use the drop for power and then communicate wirelessly wit the system? i would assume wired since it's already in the network getting poe.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-18-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Well, how all this works depends on how old the version of android is. What version runs on the Nuvo? And does it have the latest GMS core updates and security patches? I assume it has the google play store so it can run the apps for all those services...

You may be better off running this on a real tablet that has good update support. The top vendors are committing to monthly updates these days.

thx
mike
post #6 of 17 Old 03-23-2018, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
I had hands-on a P30 late last year, see here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-hom...l#post55178522

I believe the answer to your question is yes, you should be able to uninstall the Player app and load any app you want, provided it's Android 5.1.1 compatible. I don't have an Android tablet so not sure what they are currently running - same as phones (8.0)?

Yes, it's PoE, which is the appeal to them.

Matt

My Area: Samsung 75" Q9FN / Marantz NR1608 / Polk Signature S55 / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro | Living Room: Samsung UN55LS03N ("The Frame" 2018) | Family Room: Sony XBR-65X850E
Nuvo Player Portfolio Whole-Home Audio System (P4300, P200, P10 keypad, P30 tablet)
Xbox Live: oktober rust | PSN: oktoberrust11
post #7 of 17 Old 03-23-2018, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I ordered a p30 today. Hopefully I’ll have it this week.

I can’t wait to see what I can load on it and see how it functions. I have never used android so I’m going to have a bit of learning to do.

Jim
post #8 of 17 Old 06-18-2018, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

I can’t wait to see what I can load on it and see how it functions. I have never used android so I’m going to have a bit of learning to do.

Jim

Did you ever have any luck with getting other apps loaded and working on the P30?
post #9 of 17 Old 06-27-2018, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

Jim
Also interested.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #10 of 17 Old 06-27-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey guys. Ya. Totally. I had some pics posted on another nuvo thread. I got all my automation apps working on it along with cameras and my pentair pool app. They r pretty much a plain ol android tablet with not the greatest screen resolution. It does what it needs to do well though.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-27-2018, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm thinking of doing SmartThings and want to add screens all over for control (lights, locks, hvac, audio/video, etc.), and ideally an intercom system. Does this product cover all those bases, and can it run a simple interface to control everything?
post #12 of 17 Old 09-28-2018, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod220 View Post
I'm thinking of doing SmartThings and want to add screens all over for control (lights, locks, hvac, audio/video, etc.), and ideally an intercom system. Does this product cover all those bases, and can it run a simple interface to control everything?
It's an Android tablet, so as long as whatever control interface you want to run has an Android app, you should be fine.

I finally got mine installed last weekend. For now I just have the Nuvo app, Spotify, Lorex for my cameras and Frontpoint for my alarm system. Still playing with things, but for now I leave up one of my camera feeds on it.

Matt
Neurorad likes this.

My Area: Samsung 75" Q9FN / Marantz NR1608 / Polk Signature S55 / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro | Living Room: Samsung UN55LS03N ("The Frame" 2018) | Family Room: Sony XBR-65X850E
Nuvo Player Portfolio Whole-Home Audio System (P4300, P200, P10 keypad, P30 tablet)
post #13 of 17 Old 08-09-2019, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
P30 Question

Hi, in the process of replacing my Grand Concerto with P30s + P3100s. Playing with the P30 a bit. Anyone successful in getting it to display the time and weather when it sleeps? Admittedly new to Android, but I think I've followed the steps I found googling, but still the screen is always blank. Don't know if this is a limitation of the P30 with 5.1.1 or me not configuring something properly. Have tried the Daydream Clock function and doesn't seem to work either. Thanks
post #14 of 17 Old 08-09-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattanzi View Post
Hi, in the process of replacing my Grand Concerto with P30s + P3100s. Playing with the P30 a bit. Anyone successful in getting it to display the time and weather when it sleeps? Admittedly new to Android, but I think I've followed the steps I found googling, but still the screen is always blank. Don't know if this is a limitation of the P30 with 5.1.1 or me not configuring something properly. Have tried the Daydream Clock function and doesn't seem to work either. Thanks
I played around with this when I got mine as well. I also could not get it to display that info when it sleeps. I'm thinking it has to do with the tablet always "on charge," due to the PoE, so it thinks it's constantly charging via AC adapter? Not sure.

Anyway, my work around is an app called DayDream Launcher. Create a shortcut on your homescreen, hit it, select whatever (or donate/purchase), and the clock/date appears. When I first installed it the weather was working as well, but I'm not able to get that to display anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190809_144608.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2601070   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190809_144620.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2601072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190809_144534.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	718.4 KB
ID:	2601074  

post #15 of 17 Old 08-09-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post
I played around with this when I got mine as well. I also could not get it to display that info when it sleeps. I'm thinking it has to do with the tablet always "on charge," due to the PoE, so it thinks it's constantly charging via AC adapter? Not sure.

Anyway, my work around is an app called DayDream Launcher. Create a shortcut on your homescreen, hit it, select whatever (or donate/purchase), and the clock/date appears. When I first installed it the weather was working as well, but I'm not able to get that to display anymore.
Thanks. How have you found the P30 in general? Originally I thought I'd just use it for the P3100s, but I've got to replace my iRule setup as well. A couple of the DIY tools like Demopad and SimpleControl seem to be built more around iPads, so now I'm thinking about returning the P30s and going with wall mounted iPad mini 4/5s.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-09-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattanzi View Post
Thanks. How have you found the P30 in general? Originally I thought I'd just use it for the P3100s, but I've got to replace my iRule setup as well. A couple of the DIY tools like Demopad and SimpleControl seem to be built more around iPads, so now I'm thinking about returning the P30s and going with wall mounted iPad mini 4/5s.
In general, it's fine. It's a relatively cheap Android tablet with PoE built-in. It's not the fastest, but then again the Nuvo Player app itself isn't the fastest. I sometimes use it for viewing security cameras, but that's about it. If I were to do anything more like what you're doing, I would probably go with an iPad & LaunchPort WallStation solution.

post #17 of 17 Old 08-09-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post
In general, it's fine. It's a relatively cheap Android tablet with PoE built-in. It's not the fastest, but then again the Nuvo Player app itself isn't the fastest. I sometimes use it for viewing security cameras, but that's about it. If I were to do anything more like what you're doing, I would probably go with an iPad & LaunchPort WallStation solution.
Thanks. I just ordered an iPort surface mount, PoE to lightening adapter and an iPad mini to try it out too. I think you're right that it, albeit more expensive, will work better.
oktoberrust11 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
nuvo , Sonos , touchscreen , wha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page