Nuvo G Concerto, Essentia, MPS4, ... Integration, modernization and preservation - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #331 of 397 Old 03-20-2019, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I can confirm that it works on:
- MPS4 V2, WinXPe, virgin installation of Autonomic MCS (Elite)
- MPS4 V1, Win7, new "standard" installation of Autonomic MCS (not Elite). HomeSeer3, VSPE, for NuvoBridge and device integration. Shairport-sync (SPS) as daemon/service for an Airplay clone.
- "MCS Airplay" runs even when "SPS Airplay" is shut down
- both the "MCS Airplay" and "SPS Airplay" can also run in parallel on the same MPS4

No extra settings. It just bumps into the stream as if I had chosen a radio "channel" from a MCS content source.

Especially strange that your settings look different.
BTW, I also managed to change the source name to something friendlier to show up on my iPhone after the screen shot above.

Last edited by Bobone; 03-26-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 397 Old 03-20-2019, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWarlock View Post
It seems like that it was left off due to apple licensing reasons rather than technical reasons. And then the developers left the code in as an easter egg for someone to find.
Not sure. I think that a main issue could be that Airplay is quite sensitive to network quality.
10yrs ago Nuvo would have received too many support calls and complaints if they advertised the function.

Last edited by Bobone; 03-20-2019 at 03:50 PM.
post #333 of 397 Old 03-20-2019, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Ok I’ll have to scour my settings and loft files.

Just to confirm, you did NOT map channel B On your NuvoBridge Tab to a Nuvo source, but left it undefined in the “Pleae select” mode?

Perhaps it’s a firewall setting or a permissions problem, or perhaps it’s the elite software that has a different capability. Very odd that the confit files aren’t identically formatted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 397 Old 03-20-2019, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs10shl View Post
Just to confirm, you did NOT map channel B On your NuvoBridge Tab to a Nuvo source, but left it undefined in the “Please select” mode?
MediaServer B was already selected for GC Source2. I did not change anything. It is in a sense a MCS content source comparable to "Radio"
When you change server name in the config file, the name changes in the MCS config app and for the Airplay broadcast.
I can enable Airplay for any of the 4 available media server instances and thereby speaker pairs (or maybe have several, unclear).

Album art is saved in the cache folder as PNG. Each Airplay session gets a GUID, but the image file is overwritten for every new song.
Much like what we do with "unknown.jpg" but cannot trigger the refresh...

Last edited by Bobone; 03-20-2019 at 09:35 AM.
post #335 of 397 Old 03-20-2019, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Hm...
I noticed more Airplay disturbances when I increased from 3 to 4 server instances on my V1. Could be a coincidence.
Long term probably not sustainable for listening.

I think we need to understand the limits of the new Nuvo Airplay function.
Windows has a fundamental problem with latency that Unix and OS X does not have. This results in sound getting clogged up in the music engine at a low level.
It could also be the network...
Looking forward to your observations.
post #336 of 397 Old 03-20-2019, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Love to see this thread - full of great stuff!

My MPS4 has generally behaved fairly well, with the exception of crappy Spotify performance and often losing its network connection. Sometimes it lasts a while, sometimes not so long, but eventually I get the flashing LAN light and can't connect to it. Usually a simple reboot fixes it, not always. Is this a known issue?

I'm also interested in preservation options (HD replacement, etc...)

Most of all though, this native Airplay capability sounds awesome - I'm dying to try it out.

For the time being, I've been using a workaround with my home automation software. I'm running Indigo on a Mac. I have a plugin for it that can control Zone on/off/volume/Source, etc... and can also pass metadata to the sources. I also have a raspberrypi running Shairport Sync (which makes the metadata available) and another plugin that supplies the metadata to Indigo to push to the keypads. Works well, has some occasional glitches around track time metadata and stuff and I honestly don't really have time to dig into the code and tinker all the time (I am not a programmer), so an integrated solution like this one sounds great!
post #337 of 397 Old 03-21-2019, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Swancoat!

First a few questions regarding Spotify:
- can you still select Spotify top tracks (you need to select this before you select your own library as that search blocks Spotify for a long time)
- can you still access your Spotify library/playlists? I can't anymore, but have something brewing to fix it if you can still select among top tracks. Currently testing, stay tuned.
- are you still getting Spotify album art? I do not anymore.

If you do get access to your library or album art, please let me know as I am very curious to what your internal settings look like and I would suggest waiting to do any FW update. Otherwise, make sure you have the latest FW (http://music-port/config/Software.aspx).
Before the latest update, I remember having to power cycle now and then.
Otherwise, LAN problems sounds like your network is unstable...
But frankly, I cannot advise since I am running on Win7 since december and have had very few problems with stability.

Do you have MPS4 Version 1 or Version 2 (Version 2 is written on the front panel)?

Regarding Nuvo Airplay, I believe the verdict is still out and we all need to do some testing.

My initial experience is that Shairport-Sync Airplay has slightly better sound quality. I run it directly on the MPS4 (via Cygwin) as well, so I feel that the comparison is fair.
The drawback is that you need to integrate it for metadata and transport control, which we have both done on different platforms.
The windows version of SPS currently does not allow transport control, but the developer is working on it (dBus permission issue).
- If sound is good, running it on RasPi may be a good solution after all. Quite similar to having a CCA and better than having an extra Airport Express as I had before.
Automatically refreshing the album art on Nuvo pads and apps is an unsolved problem to the benefit of Nuvo Airplay.

In general I feel that Chromecasting is a far superior technology and better for e.g. Spotify. But, as we all know, sometimes Apple only permits Airplay...

Last edited by Bobone; 03-21-2019 at 05:42 AM.
post #338 of 397 Old 03-21-2019, 07:53 AM

I'll have to check when I get home, but now that you mention it, Spotify may not be working that well anymore... my wife is the main user and prefers to run it on her phone and stream with AirPlay.
I'll also have to check on album art with the app when I get home. The app is the only place I'd see it - I mainly care about the metadata on the keypads and don't have any touchscreens or anything (Frankly, I only rarely use the Nuvo app either. Almost all interaction is either at the keypad or from the Home Automation setup).

I'm fairly certain my MPS4 is a Version 1.

Regarding the LAN issues, my network is pretty stable. There's probably 40 hardwired devices, and that's the only one that ever gives me connectivity issues. Pretty sure it's related to the MPS4.
post #339 of 397 Old 03-21-2019, 03:16 PM

So, yeah - I can load Top tracks, but library and playlists say ‘Nothing Found’. No album art.

Also confirmed by MPS4 is v1.
post #340 of 397 Old 03-22-2019, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs10shl View Post
Ok I’ll have to scour my settings and loft files.
Perhaps it’s a firewall setting or a permissions problem, or perhaps it’s the elite software that has a different capability. Very odd that the confit files aren’t identically formatted.
It might be more complicated, or less transparent...
(I ended up ruining my virgin V2 installation by mistake, but have now at least fixed it by reinstalling MCS.)

Enclosed are two different set-up files. “Before” and “After” “something” happened. You will notice a few differences (my ID edits).

The "something" is either:
1. Pressing an icon called OSD in the FX2 folder. By doing that I fired off some installation procedure and ended up with a full screen display of metadata for music. AVOID!
2. Changing the Telnet port to 4004 in the MCS config to see if it still kicks you out. (it does, but when the server fails to connect, you do not get kicked out)
3. Installing VNC. I was before trying to activate the remote service tab to test if people can avoid connecting a screen and instead use VNC as Nuvo do…. BTW, that function disappears on new installs! (maybe someone could salvage the code for that in wwwrootconfig on a virgin installation?)

I think it is due to 1).
After that I definitely had an Elite configuration tab. The most probable is that I had an Elite installation before and need to correct my previous post.

I tried to swap back the old config file, but the "something" had already destroyed my installation (endless "could not connect to server, A,B,C,D...").

Give it a try.
Otherwise you may need to repair or reinstall which is not a big deal since the uninstallation leaves so many config files...
Attached Files
File Type: zip MCE Control.zip (2.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Bobone; 03-22-2019 at 03:28 PM.
post #341 of 397 Old 03-22-2019, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Airplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
So, yeah - I can load Top tracks, but library and playlists say ‘Nothing Found’. No album art.
Also confirmed my MPS4 is v1.
OK, here is what I would do:
0) make sure you have the latest (last) SW version in the http://music-port/config/ tab
1) Open up the casing and remove the cover for the video ports (VGA and DVI on V1). See post from November.
2) Connect a screen and keyboard/mouse
3) Optional, but recommended: Make a 1-1 copy of your current disc. We now have a good understanding of how to re-install the MPS4 SW, but still.... (See my recent misstep. It is very easy to get carried away and open the wrong files out of curiosity)
4) ONLY make the changes to MCE Control.xml as posted before. This is quite safe, but create a back-up folder for the original files.
Good luck.
post #342 of 397 Old 03-22-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobone View Post

Enclosed are two different set-up files. “Before” and “After” “something” happened. You will notice a few differences (my ID edits).

My <sources> entries resemble the 'after' xml version. So are you saying that after a fresh reinstall, you are back to seeing the 'before' xml file, and Airplay has started working?
post #343 of 397 Old 03-22-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobone View Post
OK, here is what I would do:
0) make sure you have the latest (last) SW version in the http://music-port/config/ tab
1) Open up the casing and remove the cover for the video ports (VGA and DVI on V1). See post from November.
2) Connect a screen and keyboard/mouse
3) Optional, but recommended: Make a 1-1 copy of your current disc. We now have a good understanding of how to re-install the MPS4 SW, but still.... (See my recent misstep. It is very easy to get carried away and open the wrong files out of curiosity)
4) ONLY make the changes to MCE Control.xml as posted before. This is quite safe, but create a back-up folder for the original files.
Good luck.
Awesome - thanks. And this is to enable the Airplay functionality (or is it to fix the Spotify issue)?

Either way, I'll do this, but may take a while before I report back. Need to gather the materials for the disk copy, pull the unit out of the rack, etc.. so finding the time among other obligations may take a bit.

Thanks again!!
post #344 of 397 Old 03-22-2019, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

@xs10shl Affirmative! Airplay works. I had the non Elite version on my thumb drive, but the Elite will most probably work too.
@Swancoat Yes, for Airplay. I feel comfortable to say that you could skip the disc copying for Airplay, but don't do anything else...

I'll get back to the forum regarding Spotify soon. Still waiting for a small but practical improvement to the process.

Last edited by Bobone; 03-22-2019 at 03:34 PM.
post #345 of 397 Old 03-23-2019, 11:34 AM

Ok, so I totally got airplay working - easy peasy!

I loved the elegance of this. Exactly how it should be. But... the sound quality was lacking for sure. Seemed to be choking on the stream a bit for sure... some hiccups and 'scratch' sounds. Ultimately I disabled it. I'm doubtful that there's any real solution to the problem. And mainly sad that this product is dead.
post #346 of 397 Old 03-25-2019, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Access your MPS4 V1 w/o opening it

The V1 is soon a 10 yr old, yet powerful product. Legrand have ceased to give offical support, even though I find Nuvo support staff very professional and kind enough to provide some help at times.

The fact is still that we need to be able to help ourselves and I feel that the instructions below are to the benefit of everyone, including Legrand.

As you know, there is a cover over the video ports on the V1 as opposed to the V2 (see post in November).
Nuvo have installed VNC to remotely service the machines. So can you!

Do this:
1) Get hold of any VNC viewer. (I use mRemoteNG for many protocols, including RDT)
2) Enter 0000 where you enable support on http://music-port/Config/Software.aspx
3) Access the Windows desktop by entering the IPaddress in the VNC viewer(port 5900). Enter "suite310" as password (its written in the registry).
4) Do whatever SIMPLE task you had in mind, like turning on Airplay or doing chkdsk.exe (important!).

For any more advanced action, making a 1-1 copy of your HD is highly recommended.

VNC is slow, but better than nothing (RDT can be set-up, but will require quite alot of fiddling to use as the "Administrator").

Good luck!

Last edited by Bobone; 03-25-2019 at 05:49 PM.
post #347 of 397 Old 03-25-2019, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

How to repair Spotify playlists

Spotify changed their APIs and deprecated "libspotify" a few years ago. This left us along with many others with no access to our playlists.
This can be fixed with a good work-around!

It is still a slightly manual process, but quite possible to automate.

To use our playlists again, we need to add the Spotify track entries back into the MPS4's database.
They are in a special format that the enclosed excel workbook prepares for a "simple" cut & paste operation.

This write-up is still pretty complex, so I would appreciate any input to make it clearer.

Requirements and preparations:
  • SQLite.exe; download it and install on your normal computer, not the MPS4; https://www.sqlite.org/index.html
  • Enable access to the database folder on the MPS4: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autonomic Controls\Data.
    Change the security settings for this folder and "share" it and add user group "everyone" (=your network only!) with read & write access. Thereby you can update the database remotely and avoid installing SQLite on the MPS4 (don't know if it is even possible!).
    This may be the trickiest part where we need detailed experience from someone with an untouched MPS4. The MCS SW could be blocking changes made to folders. Power cycling most likely necessary.
  • Login and download your own playlists as CSV files: https://rawgit.com/delight-im/export...exportify.html
  • Open the enclosed Excel Workbook. It is macro enabled and probably only works on Windows. It is virus free, trust me!

Steps:

0. Open Nuvo web app or iOS app.

1. Add 1 track in the app's Radio/Spotify/ menu (top tracks). This creates a Queue.
- Let it start playing, then press pause.

2. Open the relevant media Queue database
- Launch SQLite
- Open the last modified queue database in the folder above. It looks like "[email protected]@00-00-00-00-00.MediaQueue.db3".
- Open the "Mixed" table.
- Copy the "url" cell from the top track item and paste it in B5 in the Excel sheet.
- Save the sheet to update your set-up

3. Harvest your playlist
- Download a specific playlist from https://rawgit.com/delight-im/export...exportify.html. It will be called *.csv
- Open the Playlist tool and press the Macro button to open the file

Alternative manual process if the macro fails.
* Open the CSV file in excel. Copy all the cells from A2 down (i.e. column A without headers).
* Optional: There is a little issue with excel destroying unicode characters. If extensive, first open CSV-file with Notepad and then save CSV back in UTF-8 format.
* Paste data into the sheet starting at Cell B23 in "Spotify Playlist Tools".
* Select the Data tab. Choose "Text-to-columns". Delimit with a comma ",". Finish. --> your data fills out the input area.
* Careful to not overwrite the output fields (computed database entries)!

4. Update the media queue database
- Press "insert multiple rows" (icon) in the SQLite "Mixed" table menu .
- Copy the "computed database" table in Excel (cells N:V)
- Paste starting on row 2 (ID2).
- Press Ctrl-Return/Enter to commit (=save).
- Exit SQLite.

5. Select Queue in the app.
- Erase the first track entry if you don't like it

6. Save Queue as a new Nuvo Playlist.

7. Clear the queue and then select the new playlist as usual (it can take a little while to appear)

8. Press play all

Comments:
- make sure that your Spotify playlists are fresh. Some tracks seem to fail, possibly due to being obsolete or changed.
- a few tracks only play for a period of the song. I can not explain this.
- cover art does not work. The same (non-functionning) data is used for all cover art. I have not figured out how to inject the correct cover art links per track.
- for the second playlist, clear the queue and jump directly to step 3. Change cell N23 to a 1.

Good luck and please give detailed feedback so that we can improve this important method before it gets automated.
(please do not quote the entire write-up as I will edit it)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spotify PlaylistTool.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	2544644  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Spotify Playlist Tool.zip (90.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Bobone; 04-06-2019 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Improvements
post #348 of 397 Old 04-01-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Wow, once again I am not getting any new message notifications.

You guys have come a long way!!!

Congrats!!!

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #349 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great progress folks. I have been following this thread for a while and am amazed at your progress and excited about the possibilities.

I was having issues with my MPS4E hard drive and decided to upgrade it with an SSD. everything went fine and I was able to copy my existing drive to an SSD drive. While I was in there, I also upgraded the memory with a $15 stick from eBay. The only problem I am having is a missing VGA controller driver. Windows can’t find it so I had to cancel the wizard. Now, when I attach a monitor I only see a black screen. However, if I CTRL+ALT+DEL I am able to get into the system.

Any thoughts on where I find the driver and/or how to fix this? The remote login trick was also an awesome find ... thank you!
post #350 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 08:26 PM

MPS4, MCS and Win10/32

Just to see what would happen, I installed MCS on an MPS4 running the latest build of Win10/32, both Home and Pro. It works decently enough with some fiddling, but it's really pushing the hardware to the limits. I doubt it would work on anything other than a V2 with a 4GB memory card upgrade and an SSD. due to memory constraints, and the speed of the processor.

There are a few quirks - I could not get the MusicPort shockwave page to work, and I had a ton of permissions problems before I finally reinstalled everything under the built-in Administrator account. Also, for some reason, I have to delay the start of the NuVoBridge service for it to finish initializing, and on any reboot, the system will boot up, wait a minute, then shut down. Then on the subsequent restart, the system will show an init failure until the 2 minute MCS delay start, and then function perfectly. Also, if you're running too many services on the system, it will overload and cause choppy playback.

I'm sure many of the problems I have could be solved by admins who are more skilled than me on diagnosing Windows problems, but I'd venture to say that Win7 is a better option anyways, so I'll probably stick with recommending Win7 as an upgrade path. I'll post the install steps in my next post.
post #351 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 08:51 PM

MPS4 Win10/32 Home/Pro Install

This is pretty similar to the Win7 Version, but I added a few things which I needed to get the thing working

Hardware
---------------
Machine: MPS4v2
HD: Samsung SSD 1TB
4GB Memory upgrade strongly encouraged

Software
---------------
NuVo: Firmware exe - you will need to contact NuVo for a password to install
Bonjour - Available from apple
VLC - Available from videolan.org
2005 C++ distributable - available from Microsoft

Hardware Upgrade and base install
--------------------------------------------
1) Create a bootable USB using a Win10/32 ISO and Win10 ISO to USB
2) Install new HD into the MPS4v2
3) Install a new 4GB chip into the bottom memory slot (Note: I could not get an additional 2GB memory card to work with the already installed card, so I recommend buying a single 4GB card)
4) Boot from USB and install Win10 - I created a 500TB partition, and left an additional 500GB unformatted
5) Install all the upgrades to get the most recent version of Win10. This took hours on my machine, and can only be done in several upgrade steps
6) Set hidden "Administrator" acct to visible, and configure machine to boot to "Administrator" with no password. For good measure, delete or disable the account you created on setup.
7) Configure machine name, description, IP. I used 'MusicPort', along with a static IP, but it works with DHCP as well
8) Reboot and make sure it auto logs in as "Administrator"

From the Administrator account:
----------------------------------------
9) Install C++ 2005 redistributable
10) Install Bonjour
11) Install VLC
12) At this point, create a pre-MCS rollback point, as MCS makes a ton of modifications which are difficult to fiddle with after install.
13) Install Musicport software
14) Musicport will complain about an older version of .NET software that it wants to download. Windows will allow you to install it at this point.
15) After installing the older .NET software, restart the MusicPort software and install MusicPort
16) Before rebooting, change every application in the bin\2_0 directory to WinXP sp3 compatibility mode, and to run as administrator for all users
17) Load the services app, and make sure that the 3 Autonomics services are listed to run as the local system. Set the NuVoBridge to be Delayed Automatic Start.
18) Reboot

Configure MCS
--------------------
19) Launch the Autonomics MCS config app.
20) Control Server Tab - make sure COM1 is marked as disabled. COM2 can be active or disabled, depending on whether you are using the Elite software or not. Fix and firewall issues by clicking the repair button in the lower right corner. Everything should come up green when it has completed. Here you can also enter the root directory for your music files. Save settings.
21) Media Source Tab - select WMP, and Split into Channels = True. Rename each of the 4 channels as you see fit, or just keep the default channel names. Save Settings.
22) Online Credentials - fill out and save your credentials here, as opposed to using the Web server. Save settings.
23) Nuvo Bridge. Hit the Discover button. It should find your NuVo hardware on COM1, 115000 setting. Configure the sources you have set up on your GC here. Source A is 1a, B is 1b, C is 1c, and D is 1d. Save, and make sure Nuvo Bridge restarts and is running,
24) License page - should eventually fill in with a license key.
25) Restart GC, Reboot MPS4. MCS will likely fail to start, and system may shut down after about a minute. If that happens, restart the system.
26) wait 2 minutes after startup. NuvoBridge will hopefully start and configure the GC for use with the MPS4.

Theoretically, everything will be working now. I've done 2 installs this way, with the same positive results. I also tried installing under a different administrator account, and had a bunch of permissions problems. The only way I could get it working was installing it under the default Administrator account, but that might be due to my inexperience with administrator settings. Good luck!
post #352 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the detailed Win10 tips! Great that we have covered that and to know that it is feasible.
Also good to understand that Win7 could be optimal. I am certainly very happy with it on my old V1, despite running quite a lot besides MCS.
—> newcomers should follow your previous write-up on Win7.

I recognize the involuntary shut downs. I believe this may stem from some sequence step of the MCS initialization that will collide with another process startup. I found this particularly true with the last MCS step and had to delay HS3 several minutes to be sure.
The cycling could come from Windows going back to the latest successful boot configuration, i.e skipping your latest change.
post #353 of 397 Old 04-13-2019, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22012 View Post
Any thoughts on where I find the driver and/or how to fix this? The remote login trick was also an awesome find ... thank you!
Sorry to hear about your driver problems. It’s odd that just one driver would not work after a 1-1 copy?
- Could you try to harvest it from the original, that I assume works?
- Try to find the std driver (WinXP or WinXPe) somewhere?
- install any new driver (you may need to do it manually as WinXPe is stripped down.

Anyway, since you now have the extra drive, why not go “all in” and upgrade to Win7.
You will get all necessary help here. It’s quite easy to do and I believe worth it.

Last edited by Bobone; 04-13-2019 at 10:18 PM.
post #354 of 397 Old 04-26-2019, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nuvo Music Port

I'm a little new to all this.

I purchased the following equipment a few years ago.

Nuvo Concerto NV-I8GM
Nuvo Expander NV-I8GX
Nuvo Music Port NV-MRS4-V2
Nuvo Dual Tuner NV-T2FAM

I have only gotten around to installing it as a bit of a DIY challenge. Everything is working fine but I am having an issue getting the software for the Music Port. I have been in touch with Nuvo and they have said it is discontinued and can't provide the software.

Is it available anywhere out there or are there any other options?

Any help is appreciated
post #355 of 397 Old 04-26-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisq102 View Post
I'm a little new to all this.

I purchased the following equipment a few years ago.

Nuvo Concerto NV-I8GM
Nuvo Expander NV-I8GX
Nuvo Music Port NV-MRS4-V2
Nuvo Dual Tuner NV-T2FAM

I have only gotten around to installing it as a bit of a DIY challenge. Everything is working fine but I am having an issue getting the software for the Music Port. I have been in touch with Nuvo and they have said it is discontinued and can't provide the software.

Is it available anywhere out there or are there any other options?

Any help is appreciated
It's been a while since I've played with one, but isn't the Music Port programming all done via a web browser?

http://music-port/config

Or by typing in the IP address of the device.

EDIT: From the Manual:

If the “music-port” name does not connect, you can look up the IP address assigned to the Music Port and type that into the browser address bar, i.e.. 192.168.0.124/config
To find the address, go to the Menu of a Control Pad in the System. Choose one of the Music Port outputs from a Control Pad. In the Menu, go to “Source Options” and then select “Source Info”. You will then see the selection “IP Address”. Highlight and press the “OK” button. This will display the IP address that has been assigned to the Music Port
Bobone likes this.

My Area: Sony XBR65X850E / Marantz NR1608 / Polk Speakers / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro | Dining Room: Samsung UN55LS03N ("The Frame" 2018) | Bedroom: TCL 49S405 (Roku TV)
Nuvo Player Portfolio Whole-Home Audio System (P4300, P200, P10 keypad, P30 tablet)
Xbox Live: oktober rust | PSN: oktoberrust11 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

Last edited by oktoberrust11; 04-26-2019 at 09:53 AM.
post #356 of 397 Old 04-26-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post
It's been a while since I've played with one, but isn't the Music Port programming all done via a web browser?

http://music-port/config

Or by typing in the IP address of the device.
Also, when you say you need software, are you just trying to configure your MPS4, or is the MPS4 not booting properly? You'll likely know if it's functioning properly if you see a "Ready" message on your control pad a few minutes after you restart it. If you don't see that message, try pressing the Menu button on the control pad while that source is selected - you should see several MPS4-specific top menu items, like "Actions", "Artists" etc. If you don't see those, then your MPS4 didn't start properly, or if you see "Source initializing" only after 5 minutes, then it started, but may not be configured properly.

There are many potential configuration issues which may keep the system from working. One is an incorrect IP, the other is an incorrect source setting on the MPS4 itself - the system does not read the GC file and set itself up in any sort of default manner - you need to set your sources and outputs manually on the MPS4 "Sources" config page.

If all else fails, NuVo does have, and freely distributes a Firmware file to allow you to reinstall the software. And if THAT doesn't work, we'll walk you through upgrading your MPS4 to function on a more modern and flexible OS (You'll need to spend another $150-$200 or so on some hardware and software, unless you have spares lying around you are not using)
Bobone likes this.
post #357 of 397 Old 04-26-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for your help on this. I’ll try out all your advice and see how it goes.

I’m a complete novice at this but I am enjoying learning how to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #358 of 397 Old 04-26-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisq102 View Post
Thanks for your help on this. I’ll try out all your advice and see how it goes.

I’m a complete novice at this but I am enjoying learning how to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW You likely wont need the tuner. The MPS4 has streamed local radio stations via Tune In.
post #359 of 397 Old 04-27-2019, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

How to checkmark/toggle a menu item

My first attempt to make menu-items that can toggle failed.
The documentation (p6) is really unclear and indicates a setting for "Itemtype" that is based on a bitmask. bit 3 is for checkmarking/toggling.
A bitmask can be constructed in many ways...
I first tried with "00001000", then with "00010000" assuming that the variable was constructed like a switch. The bit settings are for non mutually exclusive functions.
In frustration I even tried with "3"....

The solution is 2^3 = 8.
(Other functions can be chosen as well, such as bit4 requiring a "long press" to activate. Hence a value of 2^3 + 2^4 = 24 for the combined functionality.)

Another pain was to understand how to checkmark the right menu item.
The correct code can be illustrated as below:
Code:

NuvoCmd = "*S" & Source & "Z" & Zone & "MENU14,0,0,1," & index & "," & index & "," & 1 & ",""Active playlists""" & vbcr & 
          "*S" & Source & "Z" & Zone & "MENUITEM14" & index & "," & 8 & ",0," & Chr(34) & PlaylistName & Chr(34) & vbcr
See screenshot in the next post.

Comments:
- Source, Zone and index are my variables in the concatenated command string. Index is the row of the menu item to toggle
- It's necessary to include the header for "MENU14" announcing a "1" item length
- for "MENUITEM14index", itemtype is set to "8" (2^3)

Enclosed is the rather sketchy documentation for the Nuvo protocol that can be found elsewhere on the Internet, but deserves to be found here as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NuVo Grand Concerto Serial Control Protocol.pdf (267.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf SourceCommunicationProtocolForNNA_v1.0.pdf (449.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Bobone; 04-30-2019 at 01:26 PM.
post #360 of 397 Old 04-27-2019, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

How to repair Spotify playlists (part 2, automation)

The Excel macro tool that I published in a previous post works quite well, but requires a few manual steps.
It is a very good option to start with and if you do not wish to do some coding.

Repairing the Spotify playlists had been itching me, so I decided to try to automate the process.
It took some time to iterate, but is now quite elegant if I may say so. See the enclosed screen shots.

My Nuvo Playlists are synchronized with the Spotify playlists from my Spotify account.
I can access own playlists, friends' playlists and lists cured by Spotify. I.e everything that is in my library.
Synchronization occurs at will and is also scheduled for every night.

For those interested in how to do this, I would be happy to share experience and code.
I have used:
- HS3 (my platform)
- a github project called SpotifyAPI-NET
- SQLite for convenience (already used by the MPS4/MCS sw as well)
- all of above running on my MPS4 V1

The journey has been quite long....
I first tried to replicate playlist items in the various databases used by the MPS4. An astounding amount of tables and separate databases are used (10 tables and 5 db, not counting the duplicates for redundancy).
As we have noticed before, the MPS4 is very resilient. Despite replicating all the steps performed by the MCS, it would after some period of time erase all my input. Many times I felt like giving up!
I finally succeeded by working with the orginal SW and not trying to trick it.

The solution was in the end deceivingly simple:
- if you insert playlist files (*.m3u) in the right synchronization folder, the MPS4 will pick them up and generate all the correctly formatted database entries (in 10 tables) on its own! With CRCs that I do not need to figure out...
(Getting the right format for the m3u files was a challenge though.)

Another problem area was with SpotifyAPI-NET.
It is mainly used/documented with C# and not vb, but works fine. Now...

Furthermore, getting SpotifyAPI-NET to run in HS3 took a debugging effort as well

Again, I would be happy to share experience and code if someone wants to replicate this solution.
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Modified Nuvo Main Menu.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2559150   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Spotify selection menu.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2559152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard Nuvo Playlist menu.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2559154  

Last edited by Bobone; 04-27-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
essentia , grand concerto , mps4 , nuvo , nuvonet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page