Nuvo G Concerto, Essentia, MPS4, ... Integration, modernization and preservation - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #391 of 397 Old 06-10-2019, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wow, I am impressed by your progress!

(I needed to read your post several times to understand and have edited my initial comments.)

Is the following already likely to be doable? (not necessarily useful)
1) connect another audio source directly to the GC while maintaining an iPhone in the dock as a bridge to NuvoNet and having SSH and Minicom bridge metadata and transport control to the audio source. Typically a PC, RasPi, Sonos, Nuvo Player, etc..

2) through trial and error test other commands to see if you can command other zones/sources over NuvoNet? (Running the Apple code above to analyze the Nuvo dock interface would be really useful for that.)

I suppose that ideally you may need some sort of serial port sniffer to really understand the traffic. Worst case a physical device between the dock and the iPhone.

I believe that @orlandojones111 has the same set-up as you. Together you could possibly crack this?!

Last edited by Bobone; 06-10-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 397 Old 07-10-2019, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyankov View Post
Here is what playing Spotify on the NuvoDock looks like when controlled from my iphone. The metadata synchs well with the control pads and I have basic playback control from the pads (play/pause, previous/next, volume up/down). You may notice the "NUVODOCK4S" as the name of the casting device Spotify plays on in the bottom left corner of the iphone screen. Using specific Spotify options (search, choosing my Spotify playlists etc.) is not possible from the pads. In this sense the NuvoDock is no alternative to the MPS4, with its ability to invoke special options for various streaming services (like Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn etc.) on the control pads. The dock runs some simple music player software (v. 1.64 on my dock) which is designed to access and play sound files stored on an attached Apple device. It gives very good control options for those files, including sorting/choosing by artist, album, genre etc, building and choosing lists (top 25, most recent, favourites etc.). It will also pass on to the system any sound initiated for streaming on the attached device and will propagate flawlessly the associated metadata through NuvoNet, but not much else. However, I have seen that "random" NuvoNet commands may also be passed through the dock onto the system, when an error state is registered on the dock (bad contact of the cable pins or a problem with the dock power supply). In such cases different zones may come on and off and their volume may change. If the failing dock is disconnected (powered down) from the system, the "random" commands stop and things get back to normal.

In a way the NuvoDock can be viewed as a NuvoNet adapter for an iOS-based server (an iphone or an ipad), much like the NuvoNet adapter installed on the WinXP-based MPS4. It is just a good and relatively cheap platform to start working/experimenting from. One would probably need to jailbreak the iphone in order to install a SSH/Telnet server app and a HTTP sever app, as Apple is very strict about their devices' security and I have not seen such server apps readily available in the App Store. There is plenty of those in various other repos though.
Hi, Nyankov

I was unaware of the Spotify Connect feature which is fantastic and have just installed this is my iphone4s and iPod 6th gen and it works perfectly. I was using a jailbroken iPod 4th Gen as an Airplay speaker as the sound stability was better than on my iPhone 4s but the Spotify Connect function works very well in the iphone. Connect also works on my iPod 6th Gen, which I have connected to the Nuvo Dock with a thirty pin to lightning adaptor. NOTE: If anybody is interested in attaching a more recent Apple device make sure you use an Apple branded product as much of the 3rd Party stuff you see these days may not support audio so always check. The plan was/is to jailbreak this ipod 6th Gen to use as an Airplay 2 speaker but waiting for jailbreak that works on the latest iOS.

S
post #393 of 397 Old 07-10-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobone View Post
This is a difficult post for me as I am allergic to advertisement in forums and understand that others are too.
However, we are trying to help each other with the best possible information. I have no connection whatsoever with the company below.

The automation platform "HomeSeer" https://shop.homeseer.com/products/h...tware-download has proven to be extremely valuable for several of us to keep our Nuvo system alive. In fact, to develop it.
Each May, it is on 50% sale and now at $125 for Windows (or only $50 for a RPi )!

To improve your MPS4, you will get:
- free plugins for Sonos, Nuvo Player (made by Legrand), voice control, etc...
- other great plugins for around $35 each for ChromeCast, Sqeezebox, Russound, Harmony, CasaTunes, etc...
- access to necessary integration code, solutions and knowhow that many of us have developed independently on the platform and described in this forum.

The SW is very powerful yet lightweight.
I have even installed it on my original v1 MPS4 hardware which has proven to be an extremely stable and recommendable solution.
Obviously, you also get one of the better home automation platforms and community that you can have fun with!
I echo Bobone comments on plugging things but thought some folks would like to know the Raspberry Pi version of HomeSeer is free to download this week not just the trial version.

s
Bobone likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 397 Old 07-11-2019, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Everyone,

We have the Essentia E6 in our home, and we rarely use it, mainly because half of the keypads do not light up anymore (we have the smaller, maybe 2"x4" sized, non color ones), we haven't figured out how to really control the system from our phones at all (which to me is how I listen to music) and it just seems we have alot of disjointed parts here. I read the whole post here, all 14 pages, and I am not anywhere near being comfortable doing any programming etc.

We both have Iphone X's, subscribe to Apple Music, have a Google home in our kitchen and have an Nuvo ipod dock that we never use. We also have a chromcast set up as as source, which my husband uses the free Google Play service to stream to the chromcast, to the nuvo to whichever zone he turned on the keypad for (limited since some keypads are not working).

In my perfect world, I would be able to stream Apple Music from my phone, to a zone in the house. From what i'm understanding, Apple does not play well with anything, and I wont be able to stream Apple Music. Is there a way to do this from an older iphone that I permanently connect to the nuvo ipod dock? Can I then wirelessly control this old iphone (and Apple Music) somehow from my newer iphone that I use?

If the answer is no there, is the best way to do it going to be through the chromcast? I don't care so much about the info on the keypads showing up (obviously I need to figure out maybe replacing the keypads that don't work though, since I can't even turn on some zones). It would be nice if the data showed up on the keypad of course (which if I use a playlist that is downloaded on an old ipod (not iphone) and the dock, the data shows up. I have not tried to use the dock with an actual iphone, to see if the data comes through but it sounds like it does from other posts. But I assume it does not just from using the Chromcast.

If using the chromcast is the only way, then I understand that I can't use Apple Music since it doesn't stream to chromcast. So I might decide to move to Google Play from Apple Music (not sure if there is major downsides there, since we have iphones, other than losing the Siri ability to control music). We need to have mini pops cause of our small kids, and in the car that is what they listen to from Apple Music. So if I subscribe to a different service, I need to make sure those albums are available.

Is ebay my best option for replacing the keypads that don't work? Should I look for more updated versions of the keypads (again, mine are not color, are very small etc). Will the new ones play nice with the whole system if I get different ones? (not replacing all of them)

Thanks everyone, i'm not able to talk your language on here, so just trying to better understand my most simple option, to be able to stream music from my phone. Currently I have to bluetooth connect to our google home in the kitchen and then play apple music that way. It would be nice to use all the speakers etc that are throughout our house to play the music. My husband can through google play, which I realize might be my best option, I was just trying to find a way to keep Apple Music since all my kids music is on there, and since we have the Nuvo Ipod dock I thought there might be a way in there.
post #395 of 397 Old 07-11-2019, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I am not extremely well versed in the subtle differences in the Nuvo model numbers, but I am assuming you meant NV-E6GM (the Grand Essentia so to speak).

If that is the case and your 1 gang keypad displays have faded out, I have good news in that new ones are still available. here: https://www.homecontrols.com/NuVo-Es...-Pad-NVE6GCPDC
How long they will remain available is not known.

I actually just installed a used NV-E6GM with expander in my house earlier this year after I got tired of the shortcomings of the Monoprice WHA. I purchased all new keypads from the above vendor since the old ones are notorious for the OLED screen failing. The build dates on the keypads were all from 2018 & 2017.

If you would like Ipad control of your system, you could add a used Nuvo MusicPort server (MPS4). In addition to playing MP3s and internet radio, it allows IP control via Ipad and Android apps. I use the Ipad app and it works pretty well. I have not tried the Android app, but the reviews for it are not very favorable.

My semi-dedicated theater: The EXASCALE CINEMA

Last edited by AlienWarlock; 07-11-2019 at 08:25 PM.
post #396 of 397 Old 07-12-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi Everyone,

We have the Essentia E6 in our home, and we rarely use it, mainly because half of the keypads do not light up anymore (we have the smaller, maybe 2"x4" sized, non color ones), we haven't figured out how to really control the system from our phones at all (which to me is how I listen to music) and it just seems we have alot of disjointed parts here. I read the whole post here, all 14 pages, and I am not anywhere near being comfortable doing any programming etc.

We both have Iphone X's, subscribe to Apple Music, have a Google home in our kitchen and have an Nuvo ipod dock that we never use. We also have a chromcast set up as as source, which my husband uses the free Google Play service to stream to the chromcast, to the nuvo to whichever zone he turned on the keypad for (limited since some keypads are not working).

In my perfect world, I would be able to stream Apple Music from my phone, to a zone in the house. From what i'm understanding, Apple does not play well with anything, and I wont be able to stream Apple Music. Is there a way to do this from an older iphone that I permanently connect to the nuvo ipod dock? Can I then wirelessly control this old iphone (and Apple Music) somehow from my newer iphone that I use?

If the answer is no there, is the best way to do it going to be through the chromcast? I don't care so much about the info on the keypads showing up (obviously I need to figure out maybe replacing the keypads that don't work though, since I can't even turn on some zones). It would be nice if the data showed up on the keypad of course (which if I use a playlist that is downloaded on an old ipod (not iphone) and the dock, the data shows up. I have not tried to use the dock with an actual iphone, to see if the data comes through but it sounds like it does from other posts. But I assume it does not just from using the Chromcast.

If using the chromcast is the only way, then I understand that I can't use Apple Music since it doesn't stream to chromcast. So I might decide to move to Google Play from Apple Music (not sure if there is major downsides there, since we have iphones, other than losing the Siri ability to control music). We need to have mini pops cause of our small kids, and in the car that is what they listen to from Apple Music. So if I subscribe to a different service, I need to make sure those albums are available.

Is ebay my best option for replacing the keypads that don't work? Should I look for more updated versions of the keypads (again, mine are not color, are very small etc). Will the new ones play nice with the whole system if I get different ones? (not replacing all of them)

Thanks everyone, i'm not able to talk your language on here, so just trying to better understand my most simple option, to be able to stream music from my phone. Currently I have to bluetooth connect to our google home in the kitchen and then play apple music that way. It would be nice to use all the speakers etc that are throughout our house to play the music. My husband can through google play, which I realize might be my best option, I was just trying to find a way to keep Apple Music since all my kids music is on there, and since we have the Nuvo Ipod dock I thought there might be a way in there.
There are a number of answers based on the people’s technical proficiency and what Nuvo system they run but here are some options. I rather think the answer will depend on whether you want to stay with apple music and an iphone as Apple tends not to play well with other technologies by design.

1. Buy a 30 pin Bluetooth receiver that supports A2DP from Amazon and plug this into the iPod Dock and connect your iPhone via bluetooth. Cheap and simple but no meta data at the control panel but will give you what you want. You could also buy an Amazon Echo dot and use AppleMusic as the default music service on that device and then connect it to the ipod dock via Bluetooth. You then have voice control instead of using your phone.

2. If you are open to using another streaming music service, then Spotify Premium has some real advantages. Use an old iPhone 4s in the ipod dock and install Spotify on that and Spotify on your iphone. You can then connect the phones via Spotify connect and “cast” the music which also has the advantage that you get the meta data on the keypad and the sound quality is much better than on blue tooth

S
post #397 of 397 Old 07-12-2019, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Perhaps we can summarize the choices as below (correct me if I am wrong)

Choice #1 : metadata and source control requirements on keypads.

a) If metadata & source control is required:
Choice #2a :
- alt 1:use the Nuvo dock and an old iPhone/iPod: zero-to-little configuration. Works with Apple Music, Spotify, etc..
- alt 2: use a MPS4: a little configuration + a little scripting, enable inherent Airplay function and/or connect a ChromeCast Audio or Sonos Connect or Sqeezebox, ... See thread for more extensive info. Works with all music services

—> Key pads as well as Apps from Sonos, Nuvo, ... are fully functional

b) If metadata & source control is not required:
Choice #2b :
- alt 1: Bluetooth: adapter to Essentia or via Nuvo dock as described above for all music, but limited range
- alt 2: Chromecasting: directly into Essentia for many music services (Spotify,...) except Apple Music
- alt 3: Airplay: Nuvo dock plus old iDevice as described above. Works for all music (same as Choice 2a/alt1].

Source control will be from music apps.
Volume can also be controlled to a certain extent from the music apps, but zone control will be from the keypads.

Last edited by Bobone; 07-13-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
essentia , grand concerto , mps4 , nuvo , nuvonet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page