Nuvo G Concerto, Essentia, MPS4, ... Integration, modernization and preservation - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 76Likes

post #451 of 509 Old 08-24-2019, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
MMS firmware update to 5.3

Hi

Has anyone looked at some form of forced firmware update of MMS to v 5.3. possibly using the MSC USB firmware installer instead of the nuvo version? I ask as in the 5.1,5.2 and 5.3 releases they made some improvements to airplay stability and improvements to how Spotify worked.

http://kb.autonomic-controls.com/kb/...try&EntryID=60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 509 Old 08-24-2019, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am not familiar with MMS, but a little curious regarding the content of those releases.
Is there a description somewhere?

Changes in the libspotify API caused problems for MPS4 users. I believe that it was in 2018.
As of May 2015 libspotify is officially deprecated by Spotify and is no longer actively maintained.

You will find the most recent version here (2012):
https://github.com/mopidy/libspotify-archive

Hopefully someone will update an unofficial libspotify.dll to the new API.

Last edited by Bobone; 08-26-2019 at 04:28 AM.
post #453 of 509 Old 08-24-2019, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 509 Old 09-18-2019, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have read a lot of this thread and it seems pretty complicated. My Nuvo GC has a MPS4 which had never worked that well. I am thinking about buying a sonos connect or port as an input and ditching the mps4. Is there a step by step on how to provide some simple integration with Nuvo GC. All i want to do is be able to reliably use sonos on my Nuvo, thanks.
post #455 of 509 Old 09-18-2019, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Hello!
Yes, this thread has become difficult to follow. It has served the purpose to stepwise share progress, set-backs and ideas as well as document working solutions.
I wish there had been some way to show only the results and hide all the "work in progress".

Anyway, the dividing question is if you want your control panels to do more than changing volume?

If you do not, just plug in Sonos connect into your GC as a source with 2 RCA connectors and you will get sound and be happy.
:-)

The first post in the thread has an edited attempt to summarize your choices.

If you do want to achieve more, I personally think that the MPS4 offers a fantastic platform for music and integration, but it will require a little work.

Last edited by Bobone; 09-18-2019 at 01:49 PM.
post #456 of 509 Old 09-19-2019, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the reply. My requirements are quite simple I just need Spotify working reliably on Nuvo. Last night I connected my old iPhone4 via a Nuvo iPod dock and this worked perfectly with iTunes music. However On Spotify it cannot be controlled from the touch pads or from another phone as Spotify doesn’t offer remote control on the older iPhone4 version of the Spotify app. Is there a way round this ? If not If I bought a sonos port would I be able to control Spotify from the sonos app and turn on and off zones and adjust volume ? Would the sonos work reliably?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #457 of 509 Old 09-19-2019, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

1) I am surprised that you have problems as @orlandojones111 ’s post#389 is pretty convincing. Have you updated everything? I don't have a dock but still believe that this is a very good solution for you (even if you need to get a 4S).

2) Sonos connect will work fine for sound but any further integration requires some work with HS3. @xs10shl has a working solution for Sonos that I believe he is very happy with. Possibly including volume control from the Sonos App.

3) If you like Spotify and are considering the lane of integration with HS3, I am very happy using both Chromecast Audio and my "repaired" MPS4 on steroids. Both work great!

Cheers!

Last edited by Bobone; 11-05-2019 at 03:04 PM.
post #458 of 509 Old 10-16-2019, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all. Thanks for the wealth of information. So just to be clear. If I have an iPhone 4s and Nuvo iPod dock I can pretty much use Spotify with metadata - with nil modifications?

I have the grand concerto home set up. I’ll just need to source a 4s if that’s the case!
post #459 of 509 Old 10-16-2019, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi,

That's what I have and it works great. You can control the Spotify playback on your iphone 4S (in the NuvoDock, with the Spotify app installed and active with your log-in premium subscriber credentials) through any other mobile device or PC running a Spotify app with your credentials. You will have crisp sound and text metadata propagating to all touchpads, plus album art on the iphone 4S screen. I use my iphone XS (or my laptop) to control Spotify playback through the NuvoDock. It is a cheap, tested and simple solution.

If you have the proper expertise, you can jailbreak your iphone 4S, install SSH and minicom, and try to use its native serial device as a gateway to NuvoNet in general (in order to achieve full source and zone control), as the NuvoDock does provide a way into the proprietary NuvoNet protocol, much like the MPS4 does. It sounds like a good practical project for some sophomore-year engineering class. An old iphone 4S (or an old ipad) is a far more stable (and cheap and easily available) platform than an old MPS4. If anybody in this forum is active in academia, maybe you can "outsource" this to your students. Most of us - unfortunately - would not have the time to devote to this otherwise interesting problem.

Best,

Nicola

Quote:
Originally Posted by labqi View Post
Hi all. Thanks for the wealth of information. So just to be clear. If I have an iPhone 4s and Nuvo iPod dock I can pretty much use Spotify with metadata - with nil modifications?

I have the grand concerto home set up. I’ll just need to source a 4s if that’s the case!

Last edited by nyankov; 10-16-2019 at 04:50 AM.
post #460 of 509 Old 10-21-2019, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyankov View Post
That's what I have and it works great. You can control the Spotify playback on your iphone 4S (in the NuvoDock, with the Spotify app installed and active with your log-in premium subscriber credentials) through any other mobile device or PC running a Spotify app with your credentials. You will have crisp sound and text metadata propagating to all touchpads, plus album art on the iphone 4S screen. I use my iphone XS (or my laptop) to control Spotify playback through the NuvoDock. It is a cheap, tested and simple solution.
Nicola
Great Nicola!
Thanks for confirming this solution resolutely.
I really agree that it enables a fast and elegant integration of e.g. Spotify and Apple Music.

Quote:
If you have the proper expertise, you can jailbreak your iphone 4S, install SSH and minicom, and try to use its native serial device as a gateway to NuvoNet in general (in order to achieve full source and zone control), as the NuvoDock does provide a way into the proprietary NuvoNet protocol, much like the MPS4 does. It sounds like a good practical project for some sophomore-year engineering class. If anybody in this forum is active in academia, maybe you can "outsource" this to your students. Most of us - unfortunately - would not have the time to devote to this otherwise interesting problem.
Agree with you here too, it would be very interesting if someone could dig into this area!
A nice solution if it succeeds...

Quote:
An old iphone 4S (or an old ipad) is a far more stable (and cheap and easily available) platform than an old MPS4.
Pretty much agree with an iPhone & Dock being "cheap and easily available",
but in terms of stability a MPS4 with Win7 and a SSD is extremely stable. I am truly amazed by the resilience when stressing my installation.
I run both the Autonomic SW and HomeSeer HS3, and a few helping apps on the same machine. Without extra RAM!

Commanding NuvoNet through the Dock could be very attractive, but doing it with a MPS4 is relatively easy today and very powerful.

Last edited by Bobone; 10-22-2019 at 06:20 AM.
post #461 of 509 Old 11-01-2019, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyankov View Post
I had a couple of people interested in the procedure for backing up / changing the harddrive of a Nuvo MPS4. I own a Nuvo MPS4 Elite with a 640GB harddrive and decided to change the drive (a Seagate model) before it failed, the point of failure being imminent, as the MPS4 drive turned out to be not even of the premuim types.

In order to make this work, you need to make a low-level copy of the original harddrive and install a new drive with the same or larger size. You can do it in the following steps:

0) Power down and unplug the power cord of the MPS4.
1) Open the cover and disconnect the old (Seagate) harddrive from the board of the MPS4.
2) Take a brand new (solid-state) drive of the same or larger size (I used a 1TB Samsung SSD).
3) Plug both drives into another computer (unpowered).
4) Prapare a USB drive as a boot drive with a stripped-down version of Linux, called clonezilla (clonezilla.org), designed for low-level disk copying.
5) Plug the clonezilla boot USB into the computer.
6) Power up the PC but DO NOT boot the operating system (Windows or other). Boot from the clonzilla USB instead.
7) Perform a full image copy of the MPS4 on the new drive. Clonezilla works with DOS-like linux commands you need to be familiar with.
8) Power down and disconnect all drives.
9) Install the new SSD into the MPS4.
10) Optional - you may want to install some additional RAM into the MSP4 as well. I found out mine had only 1 GB of RAM in it. So I put in an additonal 2 GB for a total of 3 GB. The slots are really first-gen, so you need to find the right chips. I think Windows XP (the operating system of my MPS4 Elite) does not use/recognize more than 3GB of RAM, so that was the maximum I could put in. If you have other ideas on how you could expand that - please feel free to share.
11) Put on the cover, plug in and boot the MPS4. It should boot up noticeably faster and smoother.

I strongly recommend deleting all of your music files from the original MSP4 harddrive before beginning the procedure, as it would be make the copying faster. You can add them back to the new drive afterwards. I also recommend creating a backup image of the original harddrive (with the clonezilla software) which you can keep on a USB somewhere just in case. That way, if you decide to experiment with your MPS4 and kill it in the process, you will be able to resurrect it in no time.

If you do not have an IT background, I strongly suggest you ask somebody with a solid computer engineering experience to do this. It is not a difficult procedure, but a certain minimum understanding of computers and operating systems is necessary.

Good luck!
Following up on this post. I'm contemplation doing this before my HDD fails...

1. What is the interface in the MPS4 motherboard? Is it a SATA one?
2. It has been many, many moons sine I used Linux.... In order to do step 7, the "Perform a full image copy of the MPS4 on the new drive.". Did you follow the directions on the clonezilla website: https://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc..._to_disk_clone

Thanks in advance!
post #462 of 509 Old 11-01-2019, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Good idea!
At the time, Nicola’s instructions to backup my drive were very valuable to me.

By now, we have learned that you can do a fresh install on Win7 that has quite a few advantages. It is easy, but takes a "full evening's work"....

You might as well try that first since you are getting a SSD anyway.
(make sure to do all the Windows updating first, iteratively)

After that, you can just copy your remaining library from the old drive and keep it as a backup.
Yes, SATA. There are two SATA connections inside.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bobone; 11-03-2019 at 09:33 AM.
post #463 of 509 Old 11-03-2019, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi,
I have been following this thread for a few years. I have both a fully functioning MPS-4 and MPS-4 Elite. I had to salvage the hard drive on the MPS-4E using several repair tools after it failed and now have it running fine on a Samsung SSD. The interface on the MPS-4E is different from the MPS-4: the 4 is basically the stripped down windows interface; the 4E has an autonomic MMS shell running with a screen saver; mouse is not working, and so screen navigation is a major headache using keyboard and the task manager. I would like to add Homeseer to both. Could you please provide a little more detail on how you connected homeseer to the unit (I assume in the homeseer application) and provide an example of the scripting you used to get sonos, chromecast, or other 3rd party streamer working?

Thank you!
post #464 of 509 Old 11-03-2019, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegorenberg View Post
Hi,
I have been following this thread for a few years. I have both a fully functioning MPS-4 and MPS-4 Elite. I had to salvage the hard drive on the MPS-4E using several repair tools after it failed and now have it running fine on a Samsung SSD. The interface on the MPS-4E is different from the MPS-4: the 4 is basically the stripped down windows interface; the 4E has an autonomic MMS shell running with a screen saver; mouse is not working, and so screen navigation is a major headache using keyboard and the task manager. I would like to add Homeseer to both. Could you please provide a little more detail on how you connected homeseer to the unit (I assume in the homeseer application) and provide an example of the scripting you used to get sonos, chromecast, or other 3rd party streamer working?

Thank you!

Homeseer may not work as well on anything older than an MPS4-V2, so I'd advise you just upgrade the MPS4-E with 1TB SSD (I use Samsung 860 Evo), 4GB memory and Win7/32, which will be a necessary precursor to running Homeseer. Some time past I posted a step-by step instruction on doing a virgin install. if your old HD is still working, you can grab the license file before shutting everything down and upgrading, but in every virgin install I've ever done, the system has always managed to re-acquire the file, which means it's either in the firmware somewhere, or a license server is still responding to a request.

As far as the sonos/CCA/etc code goes - there's an older version I posted from last year which is fairly straightforward, and does the basic stuff you probably want. The new stuff is quite advanced, but not quite ready for public consumption (largely because I crammed way too many features into it), and I had to stop working on it because I got busy doing other things - just coming up for air now, so I may take another crack at making a release candidate for the 5 or 6 people who would like to use it.
post #465 of 509 Old 11-04-2019, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

"Elite" and "Standard" are just two different SW configurations running on the same HW platforms.
The MPS4 was made in HW platforms V1 and V2. "V2" is written on the front panel whereas "V1" has a VGA port covered at the back that you can reveal.

I have the same installation on both V1 with extra RAM and V2 without. Both work fine, but the V2 is faster so I prefer that model (it has a slightly newer motherboard).
If I were you, I would go for the installation on V2 directly if you have one as it will be easier for us to share experience, but V1 works fine too (even with original HDD).

To get a feeling for the scripting and the set-up, look at one of the very early posts containing code for a basic yet very functional solution: How to install HomeSeer - ChromeCast solution.. There is a video a few posts earlier. Since then, the code has become very much improved which I will be happy to share once you get to that point.

Also, look at the very first post to find a link to @xs10shl 's install procedure for Win7 and MPS4 SW: Resurrecting an MPS4
(save a copy of your current license, just in case...)

It would be great if you with your fresh eyes could commit to documenting the process and then publishing it?

Approximate steps (to be refined):

A) Install Windows 7.
- follow available write-up in post "Resurrecting an MPS4"
1) Define two to three three partitions (A:Autonomic, B:Media, C:Backup). Windows + Autonomic + HomeSeer on partition A: requires about 25+ Gb.
2) Invest time to make your new Win7 installation really clean and easy to maintain:
- reduce as soon as you can to only one user account: "Administrator" (gain access through CMD instruction: "net user administrator /active:yes")
- configure "auto login" with password to the account above (Google how to modify registry or use small app). Necessary for power cuts and handy to reboot from MSP4 web config page)
- configure remote desktop access to the account above (I use mRemoteNG. It will be good for Telnet, etc... as well.)
The points above are important. Your life will otherwise become miserable if you are going to do further work from your A/V closet!
3) Save restore point
4) Do all the updating in a few iterations (a few years worth, takes some time). Allow automatic downloads, but not installs.
5) Set the firewall to ask before enabling traffic. This way you will configure the firewall as you go. Important.
6) Defragment disk
7) Save restore point

B) Install the MPS4 SW (aka Autonomic SW or MCS)
1) Download installation file USB Firmware update and follow "Resurrecting an MPS4" (you can skip step 10, IIS) with comments in the adjacent post
2) Configure the MPS4 (http://musicport/Config/) and get it back to the same functionality that it had before (well integrated with the nuvo concerto, content sources and apps)
3) test thoroughly and do several reboots
4) Save system image and restore points

C) Install Chrome.
- Use, but don't make standard (yet)

D) Install HomeSeer
1) Install HS3 on trial.
- You will not need the "pro" version. If you are still curious about pro, you can install it and downgrade after a pro trial w/o problems.
- You will install a newer .Net framework in this process, but it will not affect your old .Net code used by Autonomic.
2) Configure the port for the HS3 web server to avoid collisions with Autonomic's. I chose 800.
- shut down Autonomic and its 3 services, then start HS3 and select: http://musicport/setup. Change server port from 80 to 800 under the network tab. After relaunch, verify at http://musicport:800/setup.
3) Install Chromecast plugin, assuming you want to use it (will be freely included in upcoming HS4, get on trial for now)
4) Save restore point

E) Enable serial communication between Nuvo and HS3
- have a look at post Internal Serial Communication and simplifications in 246 and 256
1) Install the free port splitter VSPE to share port #1 (for V2) used internally by the MPS4 with a virtual one that you need for Nuvo protocol serial communication to HS3 (e.g.#5)
2) You will need to fire up a configuration file for the app at startup BEFORE Autonomic takes control of port #1. (edit registry)
- We have found no other way of starting the MPS4 service successfully other than allowing for an undisturbed boot sequence. Scheduling the boot events for Autonomic, HS3 and VSPE is a little touch-and-go and varies depending on V1/V2, RAM and SSD. VSPE should always be fired immediately, before Autonomic. For V2 w/o RAM, I let HS3 start after 15 seconds. For V1 with RAM but HDD, I had to wait 120 seconds. (We can elaborate on this when you are ready to automate the full sequence.)
3) Save restore point

F) Scripting
0) install a few handy tools for scripting and debugging (let's discuss later)
1) start getting some basics running to understand how it works.
2) then we can discuss in more detail depending on your needs. Maybe @xs10shl will have a whole package ready to install, but in any case we both have special tricks that you may want e.g. Spotify playlists on the MPS4, Sonos zone control, etc...

Cheers!
(don't quote this post as it will be edited)
WayneW and xs10shl like this.

Last edited by Bobone; 11-10-2019 at 10:31 AM.
post #466 of 509 Old 11-04-2019, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thank you, xs10shl and Bobone. I’m extremely fortunate to be able to pull the SSDs that have the original configurations for the MPS-4 and MPS-4E and start from scratch with new SSDs. There is nothing to lose! I will definitely document every specific step and post here (assuming success). Will contact Nuvo for Autonomic software download. It doesn’t seem too complicated, but that’s because you guys and the others on this thread already did all the work. I (and others) really appreciate the time and effort you put into this. Thank you again!
post #467 of 509 Old 11-04-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Villanueva View Post
Hello Bob and fellow Nuvions!

Yes everything going great.

New SSD 500GB installed and going.

All software installed and purring like a kitten.

Pandora was fixed and working great. ( entered login info at MCS program, instead on webpage config)

Spotify the same, but just unchecked and use on old Iphone docked in RIPS using Spotify Connect. (shows all info needed)
Marcus,

I'm in the same boat - looking to do a Win 7 install on an old MPS4 V1. First replacing the HDD with a 500GB SSD, and was planning to just do a bit copy.
A few questions:

1. Did you add memory?
2. Did that particular MPS4 access Pandora before the upgrade? I have two boxes and one can access Pandora, the other can't. About two years ago my original box started doing loops when playing MP3s, basically hung every now and then (like once every 10 minutes - sometimes it came out of it but most of the time needed to powercycle MPS4). Spoke with Legrand support and they said it's a hardware issue, some MPS4 V1 (and V2) can access Pandora, some can not. Since it's EOL they were not going to try to fix it. So I'm literally running two MPS4 on the same GC, with one streaming Pandora ("new to me" box from eBay) and the other (old original) serving MP3s. Just wondering if the SSD replacement may solve me looping problem.... Or if the newer box may be able to access Pandora after SSD upgrade...
4. What was your key driver for going to Win 7? Remote access? Stability?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Nuvofan; 11-05-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Removed question about Spotify. There is just no way it was working solely by going to Win 7. I misunderstood his post.
post #468 of 509 Old 11-04-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobone View Post
Good idea!
At the time, Nicola’s instructions to backup my drive were very valuable to me.

By now, we have learned that you can do a fresh install on Win7 that has quite a few advantages. It is easy, but takes a "full evening's work"....

You might as well try that first since you are getting a SSD anyway.
(make sure to do all the Windows updating first, iteratively)

After that, you can just copy your remaining library from the old drive and keep it as a backup.
Yes, SATA. There are two SATA connections inside.

Good luck!
Bobone - wrote you a long PM that got rejected since I only have 7 posts. Then I say your post below with more detailed Win 7 instructions and esp links to the software. Awesome!

Feel free to PM me your email and I can send you the note I typed up (and luckily saved....)
post #469 of 509 Old 11-04-2019, 09:00 PM

Max bitrate for MP3s

Separate question - is there a max bitrate that the MPS4 supports for MP files?
Thanks in advance!
post #470 of 509 Old 11-05-2019, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvofan View Post
Separate question - is there a max bitrate that the MPS4 supports for MP files?
Thanks in advance!
Don't know, but do not think so.
Or rather, I believe the rate would be limited by VLC as that is the SW that is running in the background.
If you have any problems, you can find every release since start on their website.
Too fresh releases might overload your 32bit CPU or cause compatibility issues with the MPS4 SW (seems unlikely though).
Save restore points and try different releases

V1: Yes, worth changing RAM to 2GB (max supported).

Last edited by Bobone; 11-05-2019 at 02:44 PM.
post #471 of 509 Old 11-05-2019, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
MPS4 Buyers Guide questions:

I have been gratefully following this thread, but I have not participated. I have an old Grand Concerto system with the T2 tuner and the NV-M3 (the original 160 GB MP3 player only with no streaming or any other fancy features).

I have been keeping my eyes out for a good deal on an MPS4 Music Port, but I wanted to clarify my perceptions and memories, please.

The original NV-MP Music Port is physically the same as the NuVoNet hardware? It has PC software that has to be activated, so buying it used is risky? Basically, not the best choice?

The MPS4 v1 and v2 hardware versions are simple production evolution. I assume that I REALLY would want to buy a V2 at this point? But the V2 is still a 32 bit system and requires a 32 bit operating system?

The MPS4 (standard) and MPS4-E (Elite) differences are only due to the firmware/software? But due to licensing, whatever version I buy is what version it must stay?
The Elite seems to add third party IP control. How big a deal is this in today's world?
The Elite can stream content from a NAS. This seems like a good thing.
Are there other factors that determine if I want a Standard or an Elite?

Loading music on the NV-M3 was such a PITA that I haven't changed my music files there in many years. (I am a classic rock guy, so this isn't much of a sacrifice. But it would be nice to get some new blues music playing.) If I recall correctly, I used WinAmp to copy the MP3s to the MV-M3 and it was pretty finicky (maybe due to USB1.1 and/or unreliable USB drivers for the add-on USB ports I was using way back then). What is the preferred way to copy MP3s to the MPS4?

Are there any Autonomic license issues that make buying a used MPS4 or MPS4-E risky? I believe that all I need is the base MPS4 chassis, as I can add all my own audio, power & cat5 cables and I expect I would replace the spinning disk with my own install on an SSD. So, as long as it boots, it would be safe to buy?

Last edited by WayneW; 11-05-2019 at 05:12 PM.
post #472 of 509 Old 11-05-2019, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone!

I updated the very first post of this thread with a summary and links to relevant topics.
Tell me what you think? What can be improved?

Bob
WayneW and Nuvofan like this.

Last edited by Bobone; 11-07-2019 at 02:57 AM.
post #473 of 509 Old 11-05-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobone View Post
Don't know, but do not think so.
Or rather, I believe the rate would be limited by VLC as that is the SW that is running in the background.
If you have any problems, you can find every release since start on their website.
Too fresh releases might overload your 32bit CPU or cause compatibility issues with the MPS4 SW (seems unlikely though).
Save restore points and try different releases

V1: Yes, worth changing RAM to 2GB (max supported).
Ordered a 2Gb mem card. Also tried to downgrade the file I thought could be the problem. The bitrate was not the issue, so scratch that question...
post #474 of 509 Old 11-07-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneW View Post
MPS4 Buyers Guide questions:

Wayne,

Just from my personal experience - I've bought a used MPS4-V2 with a dead hard drive, and got everything to work using a virgin install on Win7/32 and Win10 with a little fiddling. You will need to contact NuVo for a download of the software. I've installed both versions (regular and Elite) on my machines to see if they worked, and it installed just fine without issues, irrespective of the label on the front of the MPS4.

The MPS4 is just a windows machine with a proprietary NuVoNet board and sound card, and it will run any version of windows you care to install on it, but the MCS software is a 32 bit application. The max board memory I've been able to upgrade to is 4GB (for a V2), so there is no real advantage to running 64 bit, IMHO.

Bottom line, I'd wait for a V2 or Elite to come along, because it's a slightly newer board, with more capabilities. They are in the $200-$400 range on eBay, and they come up all the time. An SSD is really a must if you want any kind of performance, and with a 1TB SSD, you can go a while before running out of music space.

Of note, performing a virgin install may require a bit of knowledge about how Windows works, because the MCS software is so particular.
WayneW likes this.
post #475 of 509 Old 11-08-2019, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

@xs10shl , I remember that you initially had some unwanted reboots at start-up with Win10.
Which version(s) would you recommend today for V1/V2?

Quite some debate in general: http://www.quora.com/Is-Windows-7-st...-10-If-not-why

Agree that the game changer is really the SSD!
2GB RAM on V1 is also necessary.

I have two machines running very smoothly:
- V1, 2GB, HDD, Windows 7, MPS4 + HomeSeer
- V2, 2GB, SSD, Windows 7, MPS4 + HomeSeer + some minor stuff

For standard MPS4 usage, my V1 works fine, but a SSD would be better.
For more integrated usage, SSD is necessary and a V2 CPU is nice to have.
V2: idle CPU is around 5%, 10-15% when streaming one source, 55% RAM. A few spikes loading new music and album art
WayneW likes this.

Last edited by Bobone; 11-09-2019 at 09:19 AM.
post #476 of 509 Old 11-08-2019, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

@WayneW
If you like Spotify or Apple music and with your old NV-M3 still working for mp3s, you might want to pick up this Nuvo Dock instead/meanwhile:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nuvo-NV-RIP...item444ac3e13e

Last edited by Bobone; 11-08-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #477 of 509 Old 11-09-2019, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi Guys -

Have been looking at whole home systems for a while and recently bought a grand concerto from ebay. I assumed that I could control it thru rs232 much the same way that the monoprice or Russound amps are. After reading here most of the day it appears that only certain things can be controlled thru rs232. I'm mainly interested in turning zones on and off and setting inputs for those zones and volume levels. Can i accomplish all that thru rs232 or would i need to purchase something to get onto nuvonet? Sorry for the noob question - not quite sure what operations require which interface - i know anything with menu editing requires nuvonet.

Thanks!
post #478 of 509 Old 11-10-2019, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Communicating with Nuvo systems

Several of the old Nuvo products have serial communication ports as well as their proprietary NuvoNet ports.
This enables great possibilities!

The two documents attached here are required to understand the serial protocol:
  • NuVo Grand Concerto Serial Control Protocol
  • SourceCommunicationProtocolForNNA_v1.0

The first document covers everything that you can do directly with the Concertos and Essentias.
The second document covers additional possibilities such as changing menus and building your own full featured source.
For this, you need an extra device called a NV-NNA. These were sold separately but are by far most commonly found inside the music port units: NV-MP, NV-M3, NV-MPS4.

Many solutions in this thread use the MPS4 as a bridge to a Nuvo system. Actually, "NuvoBridge" is the name of an important SW within the MPS4.
With this bridge, you can also use Telnet instead of RS232 to communicate.

Telnet can address two different ports: 5006 and 5004 depending on if you wish to go through the NuvoBridge with ordinary Nuvo protocol or command the music server with another protocol (see post on Telnet).
The next level is to use the fact that the MPS4 is a PC and issue the commands directly from within the same box and thereby reduce complexity. That is what I do.

Another way could be to use the NuVo Dock with an iPhone as a bridge. Apple has a documented API that supports serial communication with the dock.
Unclear if this bridge is restricted to only a few commands or allows more.

Finally, using a NuvoNet port directly has proven to be difficult although attemps have been made (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-ho...-protocol.html)
However, using the Nuvo serial protocol works perfectly fine and should cover 90% of all needs anyway!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NuVo Grand Concerto Serial Control Protocol.pdf (267.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf SourceCommunicationProtocolForNNA_v1.0.pdf (449.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Bobone; 11-10-2019 at 10:05 AM.
post #479 of 509 Old 11-10-2019, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bob,

Thanks for the reply and all the great work you have done with the Nuvo units.

I read thru most of this thread yesterday as well as the one you linked to about interfacing with NuvoNet. I also read thru the "NuVo Grand Concerto Serial Control Protocol" document. It looked like everything I would want to do was accessible directly thru RS232. I read some posts that mentioned not being able to interface with the inputs - or something of that sort and I began to wonder if perhaps some of the commands in the protocol document required one of the NuvoNet interfaces. I would love to pick up a MPS4 - especially since you guys figured out that you can run Win7 on it and expanded it's functionality - but they seem to be pretty pricey.

The unit was supposed to arrive yesterday - it got delayed. Once it arrives I will play with the serial and see if I can get it to do what I need.

Not sure if anyone has ever looked at the work that was done for the Monoprice amps. See thread there below. The Monoamp software is pretty cool and gives you lots of options for indirect integration.

I can't post links due to my post count so i had to add a space before the 'com' to be able to post the url.

avsforum. com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/1506842-any-experience-monoprice-6-zone-home-audio-multizone-controller-18.html
post #480 of 509 Old 11-10-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapped View Post
avsforum. com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/1506842-any-experience-monoprice-6-zone-home-audio-multizone-controller-18.html

Absent the ability to purchase a used Grand Concerto, I may have considered the Monoprice solution. But IMHO the Grand Concerto setup has better single-gang keypads, which are extremely expandable.

I'll be the first to say the NuVoNet advanced menuing protocol is a time-consuming Beeotch to program, but it does work for most use cases you'll have, and it allows you to have near-complete control over your system at the pad, without having to reach for your phone. In addition, when combined with Homeseer, you can essentially program it to give you menu options to do everything that Homeseer integrates with - dim the lights, lock the doors, enable the alarms, adjust the heat - you name it. Your keypad becomes your HA command center.
Bobone likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
essentia , grand concerto , mps4 , nuvo , nuvonet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page