Nuvo G Concerto, Essentia, MPS4, ... Integration, modernization and preservation - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

post #511 of 583 Old 11-18-2019, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The apps need the new server to work properly. Both Nuvo and Autonomic work technically fine.
A few new functions in the Autonomic but also a few bugs.
Not being able to select source on iphone appears strange at first as the framework is zone centric.
I will get back to you regarding my installation experience.

Last edited by Bobone; 11-21-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 583 Old 11-18-2019, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
SSD upgrade believer and SMB1 - it's not the devil...

Just upgraded the HDD in my MPS4 (v1) to a 500 Gb SSD driv. Did not do the Win 7/10 upgrade yet but just a normal bit copy.
Wow - the system runs so much faster. Amazing.

Another item that may already have been discussed, but if you like me are transferring music on the MPS4 over a home network, you realized that Microsoft turned off the SMB1 functionality for Win 10 back in fall of 2018 (or may have been in summer of 2018). However, this also means that on a Win 10 machine you can no longer use Explorer to transfer files to the MPS4.
However, if you enable SMB1 again (which is easy to do once you know it's what you need to do), all is back to normal.
Note: the SMB1 was disabled for a reason - it's a security risk. But for most of us running home networks, as long as you have decent strength passwords, it's rather unlikely a hacker targets your network. Not impossible, but unlikely, and they need to get username/password access to at least one node on the network. At least that is my understanding. For me, the convenience of being able to manage the MPS4 from a Win 10 machine is worth the risk. if you are extra nervous, turn SMB1 off when you are not accessing the MPS4.
Bobone likes this.
post #513 of 583 Old 11-21-2019, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

How to update to the latest firmware 5.3

Please do not quote this post as it will be edited for improvements.

The updating procedure below is based on a running MPS4.
The latest update works perfectly on a machine upgraded to Win7 as instructed elsewhere in this thread.
Updating the original MPS4 is almost as powerful. However, the second and third configuration step cannot be done as below. Please read this post for further information.

Preparations
1) Read carefully post How to repair the MPS4 SW with USB. You will need it for this update and also to restore if everything fails
2) Make a Windows system image of C:\Autonomic on another disc
3) Save a copy of your license key (C:\Program Data\Autonomic Controls\) on a different disc
4) For reference, save a copy of Nuvo Bridge.xml in the folder above on your desktop

SW installation:
0) Disable other playback devices in Windows except for Attero
1) Download installation file from: http://kb.autonomic-controls.com/kb/...ry&EntryID=125 to desktop
2) Launch installation file as Administrator and in WinXP SP3 compatible mode for all users
3) During the process the Firewall gets reset. This turns off RDT and other permissions that you may have enabled, but not VNC.
4) At the last step, uncheck the option to reboot immediately
5) Set properties for all applications (type) in \Autonomic Controls\Media Control Server\bin\FX2_0\ to run as Administrator and in WinXP SP3 compatible mode for all users if necessary (One new app to set)
6) If necessary (no screen), make sure that VNC will start automatically (registry setting or service)
7) Reboot

Ensure that services are running
1) Open \task manager\services tab and press Services button
2) Control that the two Autonomic Services are running
  • If not, set \properties\Log-on: "Local System account" and reboot
3) Keep an eye on the Bonjour service as well.

First iteration to configure servers
1) Open MCS Configuration applet (do not open web page \\ipaddr\Config !)
2) Control server: Make sure that all serial control ports are disabled.
2) Press to repair firewall if necessary
3) Media Sources: Windows Media Player & Split into channels
4) Online credentials: most get inherited, but some credentials (Spotify) do not get inherited properly or cannot be set here. They are set in the second iteration below.
5) Nuvo Bridge: Select Connection "Automatic" and press "Discover".
5) If your old source-input configuration does not come up, reconfigure as you wish.
6) Select Connection: "COM1" for V2 or "COM2" for V1
7) Save and close the app
8) Check \ProgramData\Autonomic Controls\MRAD.config.xml. It should be very similar to NuvoBridge.xml saved during preparations.
  • If necessary, replace: <RS232Port id="?" with <RS232Port id="COM2" for V1 and “COM1” for V2. Save file.
  • Save reference copies of MRAD.config and MCE Control Server
9) Reboot

Open your Nuvo apps and reconnect. It can take a while. Many things should already work now.

Second iteration to configure servers:
Warning: opening the web page \\ipaddr\Config\Source settings and doing any selection, will require you to restore MRAD.config.
1) Open \\ipaddr\Config\Firmware and check your license.
2) Goto Content tab
3) Set your online credentials first and thereafter hide the music services that you will not need.
4) Save (make sure).
5) Save reference copies of MRAD.config and MCE Control Server (you can see if MCE has changed)
6) Reboot for changes to stick

You should now be rocking!

Third and final iteration
As an additional feature, you can define zone-based speaker selection from music apps for AirPlay & Spotify Connect :
1) Open web page \\ipaddr\Config\Sources settings
  • “Server Audio Outputs” should look nice with four output-input pairs. Otherwise you need to go to the first iteration.
  • At the very bottom, you will find the same four sources enabled for Airplay
2) In “Audio System”, select "Other Mirage Amp"
3) The Airplay settings should now get populated by your zones. Select which zones to appear in music apps.
  • A great new function! On some older phones, the number and order of Spotify Connect zones that finally appear varies.
4) Now, in “Audio System” select “None”.
5) No need to save. The zone selection(s) are flagged in the registry as soon as you modify them. Kill browser tab
6) Restore MRAD.config
  • Either from your copy Or by configuring the NuvoBridge tab in the Config applet as above
7) Reboot

Enjoy!

Last edited by Bobone; Today at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 583 Old 11-21-2019, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks @Bobone !

2 questions:
Can this be done on a stock XP embedded installation? I guess one would just ignore instructions like setting XP SP3 compatibility mode on executables and translate some of the paths back to the XP equivalents..

What does "Disable all sound outputs except for Attero" mean?

My semi-dedicated theater: The EXASCALE CINEMA
post #515 of 583 Old 11-21-2019, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

I really think so, but cannot test. Yes, translate folder names to XP.
Disable two other playback devices through a Windows setting: one digital (inside) and one for earphone jack. On the original setup this may not be necessary, but it certainly simplified the config process for me.

Come to think of it, why don’t you prep a USB as instructed and insert it. Could work!
You may need to rename the file (remove "signed") or already edit the name in the download address as there is another one available too. Don’t know the difference between the two.

Please document your process.

Last edited by Bobone; 11-23-2019 at 03:39 AM.
post #516 of 583 Old 11-22-2019, 06:14 PM

Since I have the original drive from my MPS4 in storage, I decided to just go for it and try to install the upgrade directly. I copied the file 'standalonesetup.signed.exe' onto a FAT formatted usb drive and stuck it in the machine while I watched on VNC. Nothing happened. So I waited a while and then copied the file onto the desktop and then tried to run it directly. It starts the installshield but immediately asks for a password.

edit again: Partial success!

I found the password mentioned earlier in this thread. The installer accepted it and began installing. I did choose the NuVo Bridge option and everything seemed to install properly. At the end I choose the option to reboot and hoped for the best.

So a few things are working but most are not. I am able to get to http://ip/MusicPort/ and also now http://ip/Mirage (the former of which looks nicer than before). I am able to play MP3 from the local hard drive but that's about it. I mainly use TuneIn radio and it appears to work (search works and my previous favorites are present) but it never actually plays anything upon choosing a station.

I am unable to access the config pages, all /Config/* urls (ie http://ip/Config/Machine.aspx) now show "Access to http://ip/Config/Machine.aspx is forbidden."

And the NuvoBridge is not working either because the keypads say "Source Unavailable" for the MusicPort source

I am kind of stuck without being able to access VNC, I guess the only way is to connect to the VGA port on the back of the server. For some reason I feel like when I connected to it before I did not get a picture. @Bobone is there any trick to get the hidden video output to come alive?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mcs upgrade.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	2644312  

Last edited by AlienWarlock; 11-22-2019 at 11:24 PM.
post #517 of 583 Old 11-23-2019, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

I believe that the original MMS ran on WinXPe and the later ones ran on Win7e. MMSe runs on Linux.
That is why I am still hopeful for you. On the other hand we do not know what was included in 5.1 and 5.2...

VNC firewall settings were unaffected in my installation. Maybe the VNC engine was removed from the startup process? (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run)
But, if I recall correctly, you needed to wake up VNC by a setting in a /config page? (See first post in thread).
Catch 22 for you!

Your video problem is very strange. I can’t understand why it would be affected?!
Same problem with your SSD?
Can you connect a keyboard and try starting in Windows Safe mode by guessing key strokes...?

TuneIn works fine for me. Wonder what you may be missing? Anyone?
Some helper file is perhaps adapted for Win 7. Ffmpeg?

You will soon lose the old Musicport interface from your cache, but it can be restored if you place the old folder next to Mirage in the wwwroot folder. (Harvest from your SSD)
I sometimes prefer the older phone apps. Mine work fine. Do yours?

Regarding /config page: Wonder if there may be some folder access issue?

You need video! Start Windows in Safe mode.
Next time we need to look around for critical settings compared with your SSD after an installation but before before rebooting the first time.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bobone; 11-23-2019 at 05:46 AM.
post #518 of 583 Old 11-23-2019, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 39
MCS 5.3 Upgrade worked

Performed the MCS 5.3 Upgrade on a running a NuVo MCS MPS4-V2 system on (Win7/32) per your exact instructions, with the following additions:
1) I had three exes that I needed to change to Run as Admin in XP mode. 2 were in FX 2_0, and one was in WWWRoot\Mirage directory
2) The 2 Autonomic services had been reconfigured to run under the existing .\Adminstrator account, and weren't running on reboot. So I had the additional step of re-configuring as "Local System", and I rebooted again prior to proceeding to the first-pass MCS configuration
3) On Control Server tab, RC DAEMON was not running, so I issued a repair command. I also had to disable COM1, which was set to enabled.
4) On the Credentials tab, all my credentials carried over
5) On the NuVo Bridge tab, I re "Discover"ed the Nuvo Bridge on Com 1, and saved.
6) There is now no License tab. The Firmware Tab does display the same license as was on the original NuVo MPS4 MCS, so I assume that means the license is still good for the updated software (which, along with the NuVo Bridge Support in 5.3, leads me to believe that it was always expected that Mirage was expecting to provide upgrades to it's MCS system for NuVo for a period of time).

I didn't re-install Spotify, which had failed on the original MPS4 prior (I didn't install your hacks), but Pandora and TuneIn work, as does playback of albums. There's a roughly 2 minute built-in delay on reboot before the system configures the NuVo Bridge to function from the keypads. (this was carried over from the last version, where there is a tray Icon that delays start for 2 minutes - probably excessive for a system running on an SSD).

Great work Bobone! I was expecting the migration to be as finicky as the original install, but everything worked first-time, with the above changes that I added for my system. I cant remember why I had Com 1 set to enabled on the old system, I think that was from a time where I had the Com emulator running.
Bobone likes this.
post #519 of 583 Old 11-23-2019, 07:02 PM

Playing with the new MCS app, "Group"ing of zones does not really perform entirely as expected, when used in conjunction with volume, mute, and power controls. In addition, the app does not appear to update the metadata on the apps correctly in many cases, but it seems to do so on the keypads in all cases I tested.

On an positive note, it works quite well with the "Other" sources, such as Sonos and CCA, which are dutifully displayed on the "Other Devices" tab. It remains a 2-app solution, where the alteranate app is required to select music. However, the Homeseer code still works as expected, updating the Metadata on the app, and allowing the App controls to start/stop/FF/Rew the playback. I'll check later to see if the NuVoNet ImageArtAvail command makes the app send a request for the image. The MPS4 version didn't bother to do so.

Last edited by xs10shl; 11-23-2019 at 07:13 PM.
post #520 of 583 Old 11-23-2019, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey guys,

Lots of great progress here. I've been trying to find a MPS4 but am not able to do so. I picked up a NV-M3 thinking I could just install the MMS on a laptop and get similar functionality.

Want to confirm two a few things:

1) does the nv-m3 act just like a nm-mp where thing like MMS could access the nuvonet?
2) how do i use MMS on a laptop - i dont have an MPS4 therefore no key
3) can i purchase a MMS license somewhere?
post #521 of 583 Old 11-23-2019, 08:28 PM

On the XP front things are progressing also. Now almost everything works. I restored my MPS4 drive from a backup and immediately set it up to run the VNC server on boot as a service. No more getting locked out!

I then proceeded to install 5.3 again. And I am happy to report that most things are working. After fiddling with the settings in the config applet to match the instructions above, the Nuvo bridge is working. The keypads are working again and I am able to play music via TuneIn. The only problem encountered is that the previous TuneIn favorites that I had no longer worked and I had to delete and re-create them. I was using some of these from the 1-12 favorite hot keys on the keypads and those had to be reset as well. I can control the whole system and all my Nuvo zones from the Mirage flash app. And the Nuvo app on Ipad is also still fully functional. Pictures 1-4 attached show my settings on the configuration applet.

So the only thing not working is the /Config web pages, I still get the 'forbidden' messages. It seems like the RemoteConfigService is failing for some reason after starting. I tried setting it up to use the 'local system' account in the services applet, but that did not help. I also though that installing dotNet 4.0 runtime might help as well but even after installing the problem is still present. Pictures 5 & 6 attached show the errors that I am getting in the windows application logs. Any ideas?

edit: If I run Autonomic.RemoteConfigService.exe from the command line, I get this output before it quits:

2019-11-24 03:31:54,078 [1] DEBUG RCS:5.35.20180618.0 DMS50 Mirage Release
2019-11-24 03:31:54,171 [1] DEBUG DBM:ipcLock is not NULL
2019-11-24 03:31:54,218 [1] INFO DBM:Waiting for other process to finish DB Init.
2019-11-24 03:31:54,328 [1] DEBUG DBM:Init:q0
2019-11-24 03:31:54,640 [1] DEBUG DBM:Init:aam
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mcs1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	2644882   Click image for larger version

Name:	mcs2.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	2644884   Click image for larger version

Name:	mcs3.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	2644886   Click image for larger version

Name:	mcs4.jpg
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	2644888   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACRemoteConfig error1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	2644890  

Name:	ACRemoteConfig error2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	2644892  

Last edited by AlienWarlock; 11-23-2019 at 08:34 PM.
post #522 of 583 Old 11-23-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapped View Post
Hey guys,

Lots of great progress here. I've been trying to find a MPS4 but am not able to do so. I picked up a NV-M3 thinking I could just install the MMS on a laptop and get similar functionality.

Want to confirm two a few things:

1) does the nv-m3 act just like a nm-mp where thing like MMS could access the nuvonet?
2) how do i use MMS on a laptop - i dont have an MPS4 therefore no key
3) can i purchase a MMS license somewhere?

I hope it works for you - but I'm unsure if you'll be able to get a license.

Whether or not the NV-M3 has an NNA chip like an NV-MP, or just a serial passthrough, is not known to me. The MCS on the MPS4 uses the extended commandset, so the serial port on the M3 would need the NNA chip in order to pass many commands through. You'd still be able to control volume, on/off, and a few other things, but other commands like play/pause work differently on the extended commandset, and would not be passed through on a serial port without the NNA.

I'd also advise setting an ebay alert for "nuvo mps4" and continuing to seek one. An average of one to two a month come up for sale, with prices all over the map, from $150 to $500. I'd still advise waiting for a V2, but all of our updates and DIY software has worked on either platform.

Absent an MPS4, I'd go the Sonos/Homeseer route, controlled through the serial port on the GC, with an optional NV-MP. This setup is likely to be more future-proof.

Last edited by xs10shl; 11-23-2019 at 10:32 PM.
post #523 of 583 Old 11-23-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWarlock View Post
So the only thing not working is the /Config web pages, I still get the 'forbidden' messages. It seems like the RemoteConfigService is failing for some reason after starting. I tried setting it up to use the 'local system' account in the services applet, but that did not help. I also though that installing dotNet 4.0 runtime might help as well but even after installing the problem is still present. Pictures 5 & 6 attached show the errors that I am getting in the windows application logs. Any ideas?

For starters, What happens if you change the port number on the first tab to something like 8080, reboot, and call up that port (http://yourIP:8080/)?
I remember having a similar permissions problem on Win7 with IIS permissions, and I think I solved it by fiddling with the IIS configuration- then later I discovered it was another step in the installation process which wasn't working, and I changed the installation process to solve the problem. I'm not familiar with how IIS works across the various platforms, so I cant assist with IIS beyond the above thoughts.

My second thought is that it could be a problem with some exe not being set to run with admin privileges for all users - but again, I'm out of my element here, because my MPS4 XP hard drive crashed before I had a chance to play with the settings.

Other clues can occasionally be found in the log files. If you reboot the machine and then look at the logfile on startup, there is an occasional clue which can be deciphered that leads to the root cause of the problem. For example, upon scrutinizing the log files on my virgin install, I discovered a call to a VLC player, which is a shareware program that the MPS4 was expecting to find. Other than that single log file line, no reference to that particular program appeared anywhere! Installing it, and a few other shareware programs like Bonjour, made the system start working.
Bobone likes this.
post #524 of 583 Old 11-24-2019, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

@swapped
The key is not transferable between computers. I have tried.
I have also tried purchasing a license, but couldn’t.
That’s why you need a MPS4 or an old MMS ($50 at lowest).

A wild idea is to try it to merge a m3 and MMS.
I have no idea if it works, but
- if the m3 contains a NNA,
- and it has a serial connection (USB pin)
- to an internal PC motherboard port,

then it could work...

Open the m3, take a few pictures and post them here.

Last edited by Bobone; 11-24-2019 at 11:29 AM.
post #525 of 583 Old 11-24-2019, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

@AlienWarlock
If the other good suggestions above fail, try replacing the \WWWConfigRoot folder with the old one and see what happens.
Similar to placing the Musicport folder next to Mirage in \WWWRoot to run both variants.

Last edited by Bobone; 11-24-2019 at 05:44 AM.
post #526 of 583 Old 11-24-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
WOW!!!

You guys have made tremendous progress!!!

I sold my house so I have not been following at all.

This is great!! Nice job!!!

Joe
Bobone likes this.

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #527 of 583 Old 11-24-2019, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

A few thoughts and questions after a few days with 5.3.

Pros’s
- overall a pretty smooth upgrade
- key pads work very well. All metadata and control works fine.
- significantly upgraded streaming services and bitrate are great improvements!
- with TuneIn and the new Spotify engine, we are very close to a good single-app solution. Sure, Spotify’s own apps will always be better looking, but 5.3 covers 90% of my continuous needs.
- Zone control from AirPlay and Spotify Connect is reaaaaaaaaaaally cool. A bit confusing to set up and needs a newer phone to work fully, but adds a new dimension.
- Airplay quality is irreproachable on my network
- the Mirage flash app is good
- the old Nuvo iPhone/iPad app works fine
- CPU load does not seem to be much different compared to before. I tried on both V1 and V2.
- we have hope for continued support of music services and MMS app(s). At least a few years.

Con’s
- I am not a big fan of the MMS app. It has a different framework for sources and zones than Nuvo’s and this becomes confusing if you use both apps and key pads. Nuvo GC already provides zone grouping so I prefer the detailed possibilities in the old app.
- bug: Spotify track duration is not visible in the queue. (Works fine for play back though.)

Other
- I will continue with a CCA as this is very flexible for some users and sources and provides clarity in my whole solution.
- the CCA enables me to listen to Podcasts in a smart way and connect to my PC for occasional screen casting.
- integration with HomeSeer was almost unaffected. Great!
- the database utility handles Spotify links a little differently. This is causing some problems for my “local” Spotify link library as songs do not show up in “local music” anymore. This was a really cool feature. I have a fix, but the vastly improved access to Spotify playlists is making me reconsider the effort....
- Adding shortcuts in the keypad menus to playlists and tunein stations will improve the UX. They are quite easy to build (once you get over the hurdle...)

Last edited by Bobone; 11-25-2019 at 04:41 PM.
post #528 of 583 Old 11-24-2019, 01:17 PM

Update: The /Config pages are still not accessible and the Remote Config Server will still not stay running on XP. I tried changing the web server port to 8080, no change. I tried substituting the old WWWConfigRoot, no change. I also tried substituting the old (5.0 version) of Autonomic.RemoteConfigService.exe, but that made things worse as the service would crash immediately. I have scoured the log files but can't find anything relevant other than the nullpointer errors shown in the screenshots in my prior post. I might try doing a full Win7 install if I have some free time. I am thinking that a clean install might be the key.

Also, I think I found an updated version of MMS 5.3. In @Bobone 's link above (http://kb.autonomic-controls.com/kb/...ry&EntryID=125), the first link (#1 on the page) is to download "standalonesetup.signed.exe" (which is version 5.35.20180618.0. If you go down lower in the page, it talks about a hotfix version. But if you click the link, you get a 404 error. I looked at it for a while and it seemed like there was some extra characters in the href. So if you just go to the link manually and leave off everything after .exe, it works!

Try this: http://autonomiccontrols.com/documen...tup.signed.exe

I installed this and the version now reports as 5.35.20191025.0, wow that is only a month old date stamp! Sadly the RemoteConfig service still does not work for me
xs10shl and Bobone like this.

Last edited by AlienWarlock; 11-24-2019 at 01:43 PM.
post #529 of 583 Old 11-24-2019, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...
After how long does the service shut down?
Can you telnet in to port 5004? What about port 23?
Have you tried 127.0.0.1 or ‘localhost’ on the local browser?

It would be interesting to know if you can upgrade with WinXP and not WinXPe. It could save you some effort and CPU cycles. Win7 including updates is extremely painful on HDD (but quite ok on SSD).
post #530 of 583 Old 11-24-2019, 03:09 PM

The service runs for about 5 seconds before it fails. The output from running it manually is in post 521 above.
I can telnet to 5004 and send some commands
I cannot telnet to 23 probably due to the service not running.
I tried the /Config pages using localhost on the MPS4 itself, but still got the forbidden messages.

I could try a clean install of XP Pro (for science). I was not looking forward to the Win 7 update process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobone View Post
Hmm...
After how long does the service shut down?
Can you telnet in to port 5004? What about port 23?
Have you tried 127.0.0.1 or ‘localhost’ on the local browser?

It would be interesting to know if you can upgrade with WinXP and not WinXPe. It could save you some effort and CPU cycles. Win7 including updates is extremely painful on HDD (but quite ok on SSD).

post #531 of 583 Old 11-24-2019, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Also, I think I found an updated version of MMS 5.3. In @Bobone 's link above (http://kb.autonomic-controls.com/kb/...ry&EntryID=125), the first link (#1 on the page) is to download "standalonesetup.signed.exe" (which is version 5.35.20180618.0. If you go down lower in the page, it talks about a hotfix version. But if you click the link, you get a 404 error. I looked at it for a while and it seemed like there was some extra characters in the href. So if you just go to the link manually and leave off everything after .exe, it works!

Try this: http://autonomiccontrols.com/documen...tup.signed.exe
That's terrific!

Hotfix content:
http://www.autonomiccontrols.com/doc...leasenotes.htm

Both hotfix and release exist "unsigned": http://autonomiccontrols.com/documen...alonesetup.exe
Wonder what "signed" means?
Could it launch directly from the USB? It has "Nuvo's" naming convention?
The one that you found is the largest, if that is anything to go by.

Last edited by Bobone; 11-24-2019 at 04:55 PM.
post #532 of 583 Old 11-24-2019, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

@AlienWarlock

Come to think of it, there is nothing that you need in the \config pages if the latest hotfix that you found enables you to save Spotify credentials from the Config applet.
Everything else can be edited relatively easily (and there is not much to edit).

http://www.autonomiccontrols.com/doc...leasenotes.htm

Anyway, I get exactly the same debug info as you posted above.
I wonder if the service actually starts and is shut down or if it never starts?
Do you have such a file:
\\MusicPORT\Users\Public\Documents\Autonomic Controls\Log Files\app-Autonomic.RemoteConfigService-pid-xxx.log ?

R U sure that the the application was set to run as admin for all users?
All applications? (Sorry for asking)

Last edited by Bobone; 11-24-2019 at 05:09 PM.
post #533 of 583 Old 11-24-2019, 06:26 PM

I am starting to think that the new version won't work on XP properly.

I started scrutinizing the app-Autonomic.RemoteConfigService-pid-xxx.log files as you suggested.

I believe this is when the error in the Windows App log is recorded:

2019-11-25 01:00:12,703 [7] FATAL Services [(null)] - UnhandledException t=True System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at bi9.a(List`1 A_0, MMDeviceEnumerator A_1, EDeviceState A_2, Int32& A_3, Int32& A_4)
at bi9.m()
at bi9.k()

I did some googling and found this:
https://github.com/naudio/NAudio/issues/33

So the service starts, it tries to enumerate the audio devices via MMDeviceEnumerator and fails with a NRE since that library fails to access the native api that does not exist in XP. And so it stops and tries to restart continuously.....

I think is time to just buy an SSD

post #534 of 583 Old 11-24-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I am starting to think that the new version won't work on XP properly.

I started scrutinizing the app-Autonomic.RemoteConfigService-pid-xxx.log files as you suggested.

I believe this is when the error in the Windows App log is recorded:

2019-11-25 01:00:12,703 [7] FATAL Services [(null)] - UnhandledException t=True System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at bi9.a(List`1 A_0, MMDeviceEnumerator A_1, EDeviceState A_2, Int32& A_3, Int32& A_4)
at bi9.m()
at bi9.k()

I did some googling and found this:
https://github.com/naudio/NAudio/issues/33

So the service starts, it tries to enumerate the audio devices via MMDeviceEnumerator and fails with a NRE since that library fails to access the native api that does not exist in XP. And so it stops and tries to restart continuously.....

I think is time to just buy an SSD
I think at this point, an upgrade to Win7 is the way forward, but perhaps unneeded if everything is working that you need to have working. A license for win7 is something like $20, and 500GB SSD is $80. I use the Win7/32 Home Premium version, which doesn't have a remote desktop option - I understand that there were stability issues with respect to that feature cooperating with MCS anyways. I've personally managed to get by with shared drives and an occasional visit to the console (an old flat-screen monitor and 10-year-old keyboard/mouse).

At some point, I'm likely to place HS (*edit: "Homeseer", which is a necessary prerequisite for my NuVo Bridge software for Sonos and other Music systems) on the MPS4, but I'm waiting first for version 4, to see how well it works.

Last edited by xs10shl; 11-24-2019 at 09:47 PM.
post #535 of 583 Old 11-25-2019, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Updating the MPS4 based on the original WinXPe

I am glad that we have reached some sort of conclusion:

1) It is possible to upgrade to the latest firmware 5.3 on the original MPS4 (WinXPe)!

2) However, the remote configuration service will not work. This leads to a minor and a major issue:
  • a minor issue is that the web configuration pages are not accessible. This is not really problematic as most configuration is best done with the Config app anyway.
  • a major issue is that Spotify credentials can only be added through the web page, i.e. no Spotify client or playlists will be accessible from the system directly.
Overall the upgrade is still very good for an untouched MPS4 and I think a recommendable path for many. Or what do you think?

Additional configuration can easily be done directly instead of through the web interface:
1) Edit MCE Server Control.xml:
  • exclude unwanted services to declutter the user interface, e.g.: <ExcludedServices>iTunes Sirius LastFM Rhapsody Deezer Murfie iHeartRadio GoogleCloud</ExcludedServices>
  • make sure that Airplay is set to "true" for each source, e.g.: <source enabled="true" name="Player_A" oName="Channel_1a" deviceId="xx-xx-xx-xx-xx" pos="Source1" formFactor="" gain="Variable" airPlay="true"
    airPlayPassword="" ctrlUri="" />
2) Edit registry HKLM\Software\Autonomic\NuvoBridge\Zones:
  • create a DWORD called "Airplay" and set value to 1, for a few zones.

Regarding Spotify, every user can access Spotify Connect even w/o credentials if you set up the Airplay flag for a few zones as above. Give it a try, it is really cool.
(My old iPhone 6 had some problems discovering more than a few zones, but newer models work great!)

A SSD is valuable and important, even if you do not migrate to Win7.
How did you get VNC to work (easiest way)?

Last edited by Bobone; 11-25-2019 at 04:58 PM.
post #536 of 583 Old 11-25-2019, 10:17 AM

I like MCS 5.3, but would venture to say that the Mirage App in several cases may not be the preferred choice over the default NuVo app. I do like the layout and feel better in the Mirage App, but I'm slightly annoyed with the inconsistent updating of the "Now Playing" view for some sources. I've tried both regular and enhanced Nuvonet "Display" calls. Although the Zone column is being updated appropriately, the "Now Playing" view invariably is stuck on a song display until something happens which triggers a refresh (like an on/off command).
post #537 of 583 Old 11-25-2019, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs10shl View Post
I do like the layout and feel better in the Mirage App, but I'm slightly annoyed with the inconsistent updating of the "Now Playing" view for some sources. I've tried both regular and enhanced Nuvonet "Display" calls. Although the Zone column is being updated appropriately, the "Now Playing" view invariably is stuck on a song display until something happens which triggers a refresh (like an on/off command).
I have not noticed that, but it might help with the AlbumArt update function that I wrote for the CCA? It "shakes" another music server than the active one and thereby triggers an update.

Edit:
I noticed that my old iPhone(6) and iPad mini performed less well than newer models. This could possibly be a reason too.
Attached Files
File Type: txt AlbumartCCA.txt (4.6 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Bobone; 11-26-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #538 of 583 Old 11-25-2019, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Here are some pictures. There are two pin headers on the main board. Each sub processor also has some pin headers (I removed the sub processors so you can see the main board clearly). I have not done any measuring on these yet. I'll try to dig up my TTL USB device and see if there is any serial data flowing on any of these pins later in the week.

I looked at the MMS devices last week and though the same thing - my preference would still be to run a laptop as it's more powerful. All this assuming i can use the M3.

If anyone would be willing to post they keys folder here or PM, i'd like to experiment a bit with it.

A bit more info: When plugging into the back USB port, it comes up as a MCF5251 device and changes to NuVo NV-M3 which comes up as a Portable Device. No com ports appear when plugging into this.

In case anyone needs it, here is the firmware for the NV-M3. Versions 1.4 and 1.6 (i believe this is the latest) are linked below. I have not been able to apply it to my unit from windows 10. Have to dig out my older laptops.

http://www.nuvoaudio.com/downloads/s...ader_v1_40.zip
http://www.nuvoaudio.com/downloads/s...ader_v1_60.zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobone View Post
@swapped
The key is not transferable between computers. I have tried.
I have also tried purchasing a license, but couldn’t.
That’s why you need a MPS4 or an old MMS ($50 at lowest).

A wild idea is to try it to merge a m3 and MMS.
I have no idea if it works, but
- if the m3 contains a NNA,
- and it has a serial connection (USB pin)
- to an internal PC motherboard port,

then it could work...

Open the m3, take a few pictures and post them here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Back_Plugs.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	605.5 KB
ID:	2645718   Click image for larger version

Name:	CoverRemoved.jpg
Size:	986.2 KB
ID:	2645720   Click image for larger version

Name:	MainBoard.jpg
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2645724   Click image for larger version

Name:	SubProcessor_Front.jpg
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2645726   Click image for larger version

Name:	SubProcessor_Back.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2645728  

Last edited by swapped; 11-25-2019 at 08:01 PM.
post #539 of 583 Old 11-25-2019, 11:04 PM

I installed Windows 7 and got everything up and running. A few notes:

1. Find the Windows 7 2018 iso from Microsoft (it has SP1 and almost all updates pre-loaded). Use Windows7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool-Installer-en-US.exe to create a bootable USB thumb drive.

2. You must install Visual C++ 2005 SP1 redistributable first (MCS will refuse to install without it).

3. I installed VLC 2.2.8 (the last 2.x version), it seems to work well. TuneIn will not work/ be visible without it. It will start to work if you install it afterwards.

4. Bonjour is weird in that it is not offered to be downloaded independently. Download an iTtunes Windows installer and open the .exe with 7zip and then pull out Bonjour.msi from it and install that file.

5. Be sure to set all of the .exe files under C:\Program Files\Autonomic Controls\Media Control Server\bin\FX2_0\ to use Win XP Sp3 compatibility mode AND 'Run this program as Administrator' and use the 'Change Settings for All Users' button to do this. (Why do we still have to do this? 5.3 should be Window 7 native by now...)

6. The two Autonomic services were setup to run as 'Local System' automatically, I did not have to change this.

7. Follow @Bobone 's instructions for setting up the MCS config applet.

8 I had an issue on the Media Sources tab. It did not recognize the proper sound output device. I had to click 'Configure Playback Devices...' and disable the headphone and SPDIF outputs. See attached screenshot.

That's about all I can think of right now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	media sources.jpg
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	2645820  
Bobone likes this.

Last edited by AlienWarlock; 11-25-2019 at 11:09 PM.
post #540 of 583 Old 11-26-2019, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapped View Post
Here are some pictures. There are two pin headers on the main board. Each sub processor also has some pin headers (I removed the sub processors so you can see the main board clearly). I have not done any measuring on these yet. I'll try to dig up my TTL USB device and see if there is any serial data flowing on any of these pins later in the week.
Yikes! M3 looks much less than the MPS4 inside which has a standard Intel motherboard and a separate Nuvo card connected by serial to the mobo's COM1(or 2).
You can find pictures of the MPS4 boards in a link in the first post (and on Ebay for the MMS).

Perhaps you can install the MPS4 sw w/o license on your PC, hook up a usb-serial converter, find a serial port somewhere on your M3, open the config applet and see if the Nuvo Bridge connects (if so, read the model in the registry)
Maybe skip the converter and go USB-USB, but I am really not on my home turf and cannot help you much more unfortunately.

The M3 might be a fun problem to crack, but in terms of time spent I would 100% wait for a MPS4 or MP.
The MPS4 has a decent amount of horsepower for music and other processing.
At one time I was running all 4 servers on the MPS4 (the # servers drives RAM and processing), HomeSeer, VSPE and Cygwin with Shairport-sync (Airplay) w/o too many problems and only 2GB.
Curious: what do you need your laptop for?

Last edited by Bobone; 11-26-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
essentia , grand concerto , mps4 , nuvo , nuvonet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page