Nuvo G Concerto, Essentia, MPS4, ... Integration, modernization and preservation - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 96Likes

post #31 of 628 Old 09-03-2018, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bobone, thanks for all the info. Do you know what firmware version your Nuvo GC is on?

-----------------
A/B Pre-Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 628 Old 09-03-2018, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Zone Control

HomeSeer makes it possible to either design simple Web based zone devices or use HSTouch to make smartphone front ends.
I have only tinkered around with the web devices that are seen on the "Home" page (PDF screen shots above).
(I hope Matt continues his development of a HSTouch control. It could be very nice)

Cloning the devices is an easy way to make several zone controls and events, as can be seen in the PDFs and using ZoneControl.vb (attached).

However, I found it annoying with so many nearly identical Events and also created the generic script GenZoneControl.vb.
It enables me to have only one event with several OR triggers (for zone changes) and GenZoneControl understands which zone changed.
(I guess it was a maintenance issue when developing that drove me down this lane...)

Lastly, dont forget the device "ZoneEvents" (suppose I should have used a global variable instead...) to avoid loops.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ZoneControl.zip (1.0 KB, 28 views)
My Dream likes this.
post #33 of 628 Old 09-03-2018, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Menus and menu items

Lastly, I created another variant of the menu with selectable menu items. (I called it multi-line in my video)
With it, you can make any depth that you wish and use UP/DOWN, NEXT/PREV to navigate.

It's a hack and the performance can certainly be improved (very touch sensitive) but it works.
- Rename it as "PortCallback.vb" to replace the standard script.

Enclosed are also two different webscraping techniques that I needed to populate my menus. (I am sure that this can be done better!)
- Klimat.vb will act strangely/crash as it take some of my local data
Attached Files
File Type: zip MenuItems.zip (4.6 KB, 25 views)
My Dream likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 628 Old 09-04-2018, 06:40 AM

Interestingly I still can't get my program to display track status on the Nuvo. I can get it to display the other 4 line, but it refuses to display track status. I have set the source type to apple airport.

Can you log and paste some of your output of what you send for track status?
I am on firmware 2.66q - not sure which firmware you are on?

Here is what my output looks like:
Code:
08:26:24.782 [Transmit] DEBUG org.nuvo.network.NetworkWriter - Sending Message: '*S5DISPInfo,1200,70,2'

-----------------
A/B Pre-Build Thread
post #35 of 628 Old 09-04-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by broconne View Post
Interestingly I still can't get my program to display track status on the Nuvo. I can get it to display the other 4 line, but it refuses to display track status. I have set the source type to apple airport.

Code:
08:26:24.782 [Transmit] DEBUG org.nuvo.network.NetworkWriter - Sending Message: '*S5DISPInfo,1200,70,2'
The only difference that I see from what I have is that I use all caps. *S5DISPINFO. Also, make sure you have a cr/lf at the end.

Joe
My Dream likes this.

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #36 of 628 Old 09-04-2018, 09:12 AM

I started with all caps because that is what is in the protocol spec. I changed it to the mixed case based on Bobone's code (to see if it mattered). I am sending only a <CR> as that is why the protocol spec says (and it works for all other message types).

When you send this message to the Nuvo do you get a response back? And if so what is it?

I am wondering if I still have some setting wrong in my Nuvo that would make it ignore this particular message.

-----------------
A/B Pre-Build Thread
post #37 of 628 Old 09-04-2018, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Code:
Strange!

Comments:
- my commands look like your's
- I mix lowercase/uppercase. No problem.
- the Chr(13) is important at the end, as Joe pointed out.
- "2" means "Play", "3" is Pause
- modified the Airport EXPRESS
- I have v2.66.(p)

What App are you testing with? Are you actually getting the new Duration or is that value blank? (it looks correct based on your Output)
- try to fill in a set number or trigger on a Duration change
- what happens when you press play/pause on the keypad?

Bob
My Dream likes this.

Last edited by Bobone; 09-04-2018 at 12:31 PM.
post #38 of 628 Old 09-04-2018, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I started with all caps because that is what is in the protocol spec. I changed it to the mixed case based on Bobone's code (to see if it mattered). I am sending only a <CR> as that is why the protocol spec says (and it works for all other message types).

When you send this message to the Nuvo do you get a response back? And if so what is it?

I am wondering if I still have some setting wrong in my Nuvo that would make it ignore this particular message.
First, I have seen something similar before, i.e. that the displyline goes blank. Do not know how to replicate it though..

Here is what happens when I run an immediate script:
Code:
sep-04 21:49:32	 	Nuvo Receive	#OK
sep-04 21:49:30	 	Event	Running script statement immediately: &hs.SendToComPort(5, "*S1DISPInfo,” & 1200 & ”," & 70 & ",2" & Chr(13))
- a long shot: redo your quotation marks. I see some inconsistency above in the Unicode character used. Your machine may be more sensitive than mine.
My Dream likes this.

Last edited by Bobone; 09-06-2018 at 01:09 AM.
post #39 of 628 Old 09-04-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobone View Post
First, I have seen something similar before, i.e. that the displyline goes blank. Do not know how to replicate it though..

Here is what happens when I run an immediate script:
Code:
sep-04 21:49:32	 	Nuvo Receive	#OK
sep-04 21:49:30	 	Event	Running script statement immediately: &hs.SendToComPort(5, "*S1DISPInfo,” & 1200 & ”," & 70 & ",2" & Chr(13))
- a long shot: redo your quotation marks. I see some inconsistency above in the Unicode character used.
I think you may be right. The quoting is incorrect!!

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #40 of 628 Old 09-04-2018, 06:44 PM

Bobone and jmorris.. I am not following. There are no quotation marks sent in the message to the Nuvo. Are you talking about the single quotes? That is simply how the logging library I am using has decided to notate string values.

Are you both transmitting messages wrapped in actual quotes or am I missing something?

-----------------
A/B Pre-Build Thread
post #41 of 628 Old 09-05-2018, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Bro...

You should be getting back ”#OK” from Nuvo following the command ”*S5DISPInfo,1200,70,2” + CR.
Do you? What does the display look like? Completely Blank or just unchanged symbols, timers and progress bar ? What do you get back with the command “*S5DispInfo?”

If you don’t get back “#OK” with the first command, then either the command or some Nuvo setup is wrong.

To check the command:
1) close the port in HomeSeer.
2) start RealTerm or similar and open the port to Nuvo with "57600,N,8,1"
3) test if you get a better response from the Nuvo with the command above. Test with some other commands as well, see what happens. Is it only the DispInfo command that doesn’t respond?
4) close down the port in RealTerm and reopen it in HomeSeer by running InitMetadata.vb

If it works, something on the HomeSeer side is wrong.
- Go through the command/string build-up? ("Execute immediate script command" is pretty handy).

If it doesn’t, something on the Nuvo side is wrong. Not sure what... Try a mix of the following, not necessarily in order.
- Alloff
- reboot
- unplug the MPS4
- reinstall the source (non-NuvoNet) (had to do this once)
- test another source driver

Good luck,
Bob
My Dream likes this.

Last edited by Bobone; 09-06-2018 at 01:03 AM.
post #42 of 628 Old 09-05-2018, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Also make sure you terminate every NuVo command with a CR/LF pair. If I remember correctly, I had a lot of trouble with some commands that were sensitive to the pair receive (as opposed to just one of them), but I think it was inconsistent - some commands didn't care. But it's been a long time since I worked through that...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #43 of 628 Old 09-05-2018, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Also make sure you terminate every NuVo command with a CR/LF pair. If I remember correctly, I had a lot of trouble with some commands that were sensitive to the pair receive (as opposed to just one of them), but I think it was inconsistent - some commands didn't care. But it's been a long time since I worked through that...

Jeff
I wholeheartedly agree.

Hey Jeff!!

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #44 of 628 Old 09-05-2018, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bobone and jmorris.. I am not following. There are no quotation marks sent in the message to the Nuvo. Are you talking about the single quotes? That is simply how the logging library I am using has decided to notate string values.

Are you both transmitting messages wrapped in actual quotes or am I missing something?
This is what my debug window says

*S4DISPLINE1,"Makana Radio"
*S4DISPLINE2,""
*S4DISPLINE3,""
*S4DISPLINE4,"Pua Tubarose"
*S4DISPINFO,2273,20,2

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #45 of 628 Old 09-05-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post
This is what my debug window says

*S4DISPLINE1,"Makana Radio"
*S4DISPLINE2,""
*S4DISPLINE3,""
*S4DISPLINE4,"Pua Tubarose"
*S4DISPINFO,2273,20,2
Thanks for the tips. Commands look the same. I will try adding a CR/LF instead of just CR.

-----------------
A/B Pre-Build Thread
post #46 of 628 Old 09-06-2018, 02:52 PM

FYI - The public Sonos API is available. Looks fairly straightfoward to do the metadata displays once you do some hoops to locate the correct unit/group/household. And yet another "must talk to the Cloud to talk to your own devices in your house" architectures that I hate... Integration that doesn't work if the Internet is down!

But the basics are there, and in HTTP/JSON so easy enough to talk to.

I may not have time this weekend to play with it, but will ASAP...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #47 of 628 Old 09-06-2018, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
FYI - The public Sonos API is available. Looks fairly straightfoward to do the metadata displays once you do some hoops to locate the correct unit/group/household. And yet another "must talk to the Cloud to talk to your own devices in your house" architectures that I hate... Integration that doesn't work if the Internet is down!

But the basics are there, and in HTTP/JSON so easy enough to talk to.

I may not have time this weekend to play with it, but will ASAP...

Jeff
I just received the email too.

If what you say is true, and I am not doubting it, then I am disappointed that it is cloud based. Why?!?!?!?

edit: { Ok, I just looked through the api. Initially it will require use of the Sonos Cloud to control any devices. They do state that maybe at some time there will be a LAN version of the api. But in the meantime it looks like the cloud is the only way.

You are also correct in regards to the hoops to jump through in order to get access to a device. It looks fairly straight forward but possibly painful.}

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music

Last edited by jmorris644; 09-06-2018 at 06:24 PM.
post #48 of 628 Old 09-07-2018, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I may know what is going on...

First, the correct response to your command is NOT "#OK" as I mentionned above, but "S5DISPINFO,DUR2250,POS70,STATUS2"

I noticed that If I send the command while a song is already playing, my infoline (DISPINFO) can go blank in some (unclear) cases

If I then press Pause on the panel, the correct data shows again as well as when I press Play. (Both activate PortCallback.vb code calling the Play/Pause Events and finally running SendMetadata.vb to update the display)

What may be happening is that the *DISPINFO command is sent with impossible data?
- Possibly because Duration is set to 0 or inconsistent “Duration” in some other way

This could happen if:
- Duration is 0 when the trigger launches the event. —> goes blank
(possibly when Duration < Position? ...have not tested)
- the CCA Title event triggers several times. This is an issue with the plug-in that I tried to moderate by checking if the “nuvotitle” global variable really changes.

-> Try modifying the Event "CCA Title" to trigger on Duration instead of Image or Title (changes). Not ideal for radio stations, but test with Spotify.

EDIT:
- After another test, I am back to thinking that there is/was also a unicode problem with the quotation marks. Replace them with your own machine's quotation marks so that they are read correctly.
- the following works: "hs.SendToComPort(5, "*S1DISPInfo," & 2250 & "," & 700 & ",2" & Chr(13)). --- No matter when I run it. (sent to the com port through a manual event running "Execute immediate script command")

But, if Duration is set to 0, I get a blank display....

Bob

Last edited by Bobone; 09-07-2018 at 03:28 PM.
post #49 of 628 Old 09-15-2018, 08:34 AM

Quick follow up here now that I have been able to test. Sending a CR/LF doesn't fix the issue I am seeing with the Trackstatus not being updated. I still get no response from the Nuvo for that command only.

I am going to press on with the rest of my driver and circle back to this one.

-----------------
A/B Pre-Build Thread
post #50 of 628 Old 09-15-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quick follow up here now that I have been able to test. Sending a CR/LF doesn't fix the issue I am seeing with the Trackstatus not being updated. I still get no response from the Nuvo for that command only.

I am going to press on with the rest of my driver and circle back to this one.
very strange. Before moving on, the last thing to try that I can think of is to force the last 3 parameters to integers. A needle in the straw.

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #51 of 628 Old 10-02-2018, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Since my MPS4 bricked, the NuvoNet port is now non-functional, which means I'll need to either find another bootable MPS4, or use an MV-MP (or an unobtainable NV-NNA) in order to access the API.

With respect to the NV-MP: if I get a used one without the software install disk, does anyone know if it will work simply as a pass-thru for NuvoNet? Or is there a software installation and registration required, in order to activate the box? My only interest here is to use it as a NuvoNet pass-thru - I'm not interested in any other functionality provided by the MP.
post #52 of 628 Old 10-02-2018, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs10shl View Post
Since my MPS4 bricked, the NuvoNet port is now non-functional, which means I'll need to either find another bootable MPS4, or use an MV-MP (or an unobtainable NV-NNA) in order to access the API.

With respect to the NV-MP: if I get a used one without the software install disk, does anyone know if it will work simply as a pass-thru for NuvoNet? Or is there a software installation and registration required, in order to activate the box? My only interest here is to use it as a NuvoNet pass-thru - I'm not interested in any other functionality provided by the MP.
When you say "access the API", are you referring to the GC or Essentia API? IF so, you can access that API directly through the serial port on the GC or Essentia.

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #53 of 628 Old 10-02-2018, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post
When you say "access the API", are you referring to the GC or Essentia API? IF so, you can access that API directly through the serial port on the GC or Essentia.

I don't know why I had it in my head that I couldn't use the API directly. Thx.
post #54 of 628 Old 10-03-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs10shl View Post
As jmorris said, you can access most of the API from the serial port. There are some commands (MENU building, etc.) that only flow over NuVoNet and those you need the adapter to use.

Quote:
Note that NV-MP and NV-NNA is the same hardware as far as we're concerned. I have one of each, and the only difference is the NNA (IIRC) has more source/peripheral identification LEDs on it, but otherwise they do the same thing. The other difference is that the NV-MP was sold along with the Autonomic MCS PC-based server software (which later became the MPS4).

So no, you don't need the software disc - it's the media server software that uses the NV-NNA/MP to access NuVoNet.

Jeff

post #55 of 628 Old 10-17-2018, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nuvo Essentia - update to system

Hello,
I have come across your thread and must say it has a lot of useful information.

I currently have a Nuvo Essentia system (from 2008) with using in 6 keypads (3 of which the led display is no longer lighting up). I have replaced some keypads over the years. I was thinking of either upgrading entire system to Sonos system or integrate with equipment I currently have. The sources I use most often 1) streaming thru apple tv to have capability to listen to spotify thru out the house, controlled thru iphone. 2) satellite (mostly for outdoor zone) when watching tv outdoors.
As I mentioned the keypads giving out one by one. I've replaced but wonder if there is another option on how to control zones (power/volume/source) thru app or other option rather than replacing keypads again & also modernize at the same time.
Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #56 of 628 Old 10-19-2018, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomia View Post
Hello,
I have come across your thread and must say it has a lot of useful information.

I currently have a Nuvo Essentia system (from 2008) with using in 6 keypads (3 of which the led display is no longer lighting up). I have replaced some keypads over the years. I was thinking of either upgrading entire system to Sonos system or integrate with equipment I currently have. The sources I use most often 1) streaming thru apple tv to have capability to listen to spotify thru out the house, controlled thru iphone. 2) satellite (mostly for outdoor zone) when watching tv outdoors.
As I mentioned the keypads giving out one by one. I've replaced but wonder if there is another option on how to control zones (power/volume/source) thru app or other option rather than replacing keypads again & also modernize at the same time.
Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Not sure that I am the best to answer this question compared to others, but my gut feeling is that you might want to continue buying Essentia keypads off Ebay. At least for a while.

There are two parts to this:
1) control zones (power/volume/source)
2) control source (select/pause/Next/previous/)

I personally like keypads for 1) but prefer smartphones for 2).
I am not sure that Sonos/Nuvo will ever have as good user interface as the content provider apps such as Spotify, etc...
On the other hand "two in one" is practical...

But then I don't think that Sonos has any wall mounted keypads?
Some would argue that you should upgrade to the new Nuvo gear. Probably the cleanest if you like keypads as well as apps.
Both Sonos and Nuvo are expensive!

You could get a little of both by tweaking/hacking the Chromecast/HomeSeer solution. It provides me with some of the source control on the keypads. I also get some volume control through the smartphone. I could configure a HomeSeer app for more zone control, but have not bothered to do so yet as my Nuvo App with MPS4 is still working.

So:
- if you like what you have: go for Ebay
- if you want to upgrade: go for Sonos or Nuvo if you like keypads: --> More expensive

Last edited by Bobone; 11-11-2019 at 03:49 AM.
post #57 of 628 Old 10-19-2018, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyankov View Post
I changed the 640 GB harddisk of my MSP4 Elite with a 1TB SSD through a low-level copy process a year ago. Plus increased the RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB. Kept the old disk with the system files and everything on it just in case. Everything works perfectly. It is a simple operation that any computer technician can perform in less than a couple of hours. I would actually highly recommend such an "upgrade", as the original Seagate HDD of the MSP4 is of a kind prone to degradation (not the most expensive model at the time either) and will certainly stop working with time.
Wow, this is exactly what I have been looking for!
Could you please give us a step by step recipe on how this is done?

Thanks!
Bob
post #58 of 628 Old 10-19-2018, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobone View Post
Not sure that I am the best to answer this question compared to others, but my gut feeling is that you might want to continue buying Essentia keypads off Ebay. At least for a while.

There are two parts to this:
1) control zones (power/volume/source)
2) control source (select/pause/Next/previous/)

I personally like keypads for 1) but prefer smartphones for 2).
I am not sure that Sonos/Nuvo will ever have as good user interface as the content provider apps such as Spotify, etc...
On the other hand "two in one" is practical...

But then I don't think that Sonos has any wall mounted keypads?
Some would argue that you should upgrade to the new Nuvo gear. Probably the cleanest if you like keypads as well as apps.
Both Sonos and Nuvo are expensive!

You could get a little of both by waiting for Joe's MG1 (coming soon?) or tweaking/hacking:
- Meanwhile, the Chromecast/HomeSeer solution provides me with some of the source control on the keypads. I could configure a HomeSeer app for zone control, but have not bothered to do so yet as my Nuvo App with MPS4 is still working.

So:
- if you like what you have: go for Ebay and possibly extend with the MG1 (coming soon.... ) -->Cheap
- if you want to upgrade: go for Sonos or Nuvo if you like keypads: --> More expensive
Hello,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Great summary of the options.
Agree with you that upgrading to Nuvo player portfolio line or to Sonos is a expensive option.
Considering the only issue I'm having thus far is the keypads, otherwise everything is functioning.
What is the MG1 and it's purpose? What is homeseer? Are home audio installers familiar with this?
Do you also have the led keypads? How long are they lasting for you?
Again appreciate your prior detailed summary.
post #59 of 628 Old 10-19-2018, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Installation and maintenance is a great point!

Sonos is DIY. Nuvo is quasi-DIY.

In all fairness there are other integration packages such as Allonis, Control4... they usually require professional assistance. Don’t know what they have for Essentia.h

My home automation hack with Homeseer & ChromeCast requires more skills from you, but still pretty simple if you have fooled around a little in this space.

Last edited by Bobone; 11-11-2019 at 03:50 AM.
post #60 of 628 Old 10-20-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Hi bobone,
Allonis's myServer supports both dealer install and DIY install. A DIY is provided all the tools they need to fully configure and customize the system.
Also can work with integration with Homeseer as we have a driver written to talk to HS's API.
There is also a driver for Nuvo GrandConcerto and Essentia. That can write text to the Nuvo keypads.

Control4 requires a dealer to at least add a device to an existing system. C4 provides most of the development tools where a DIY'r can do further setup.
Bobone likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
essentia , grand concerto , mps4 , nuvo , nuvonet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page