Nuvo G Concerto, Essentia, MPS4, ... Integration, modernization and preservation - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 224Likes

post #721 of 1033 Old 01-18-2020, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xs10shl View Post
One option would be to use something like a DigiOne and an NV-MP as your NuVo gateway.
Not sure I understand? Could you please elaborate a little?
A DigiOne SP is simply a device which adds an Ethernet interface to any com port . You hook one end up to the NV-MP (or NV-NNA) and the other to your network, and with a few additional configurations like IP address, login, port, and com settings, you now have a “server” you can log into to send and receive nuvonet traffic over IP, pretty much exactly like port 5006 on the MPS4, except without the windows machine overhead.

I personally don’t think the Autonomic folks were thinking this Would be a likely use case for MMS when they added the IP feature to Nuvobridge. More likely it just evolved that way as an additional feature from when the Nuvobridge was a standalone app in the MMS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1033 Old 01-18-2020, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Ok, agree!
I thought you meant this DigiOne and was confused:
https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione.html
The combo with nv-mp sounded very innovative 😁!

Crestron, Control4, Savant, etc... all use the IP communication for integration. A MMSe NuvoBridge could probably piggyback on those frameworks if the original is no longer accessible.

Is the traffic any different on 5006 or chosen address if you select IP in the nuvobridge tab? Maybe you can easier follow outgoing traffic? My understanding otherwise is that 127.0.0.1:5006 was just the default setting?

Last edited by Bobone; 01-18-2020 at 10:59 PM.
post #723 of 1033 Old 01-18-2020, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I am curious for my own inspiration what you would like to do?
I was thinking more of the hardware dimension - the liberation from the need to use an old MPS4 machine as the control platform and the music source. One could probably find a multichannel sound card with better characteristics than the Attaro these days. And the performance (speed, reliability) of a modern hardware setup would be much better. Plugging/running additional components for integrating with other smart-home systems would probably also be easier. I am running a Delta Dore home automation system which does not automatically integrate with Nuvo or Autonomic, for example.

Streaming music from all four sources active at the same time will be much better on a modern high-performance server machine. The MPS4 (even the elite v2 type) is struggling to manage more than two sources active at the same time. One could probably also set up more than four sound sources - the software allows it and it is up to the limitations of the hardware (CPU, RAM, sound cards etc.). The Autonomic MMS-5A/2A servers are designed to control up to 96 zones and use “stackable” Mirage amp architecture to do it, according to their manual. Perhaps - as the Nuvo GC/EG systems are recognised as Mirage amps - this logic can be applied if the MCS server runs on a high-performance machine and the right settings are made. Then several GC/EG systems may be combined and controlled from a single MCS server PC, for a larger more complex multi-zone setup. It would be interesting to get a hold of some Autonomic technical manuals for professional installers in order to understand better the possibilities and options the MCS ver 5.35 software has and how they may be combined with a Nuvo GC/EG system.

In general one could run all kinds of daemons and server applets to monitor network activity and collect data (from various other music streamers, for example) for integration with the Autonomic/Nuvo MCS software on a high-performance server machine, if “third-party” data and control on the wallpads is the goal. The MPS4 is not really built for this purpose.

Last edited by nyankov; 01-19-2020 at 02:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 1033 Old 01-19-2020, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

I understand what you mean.

If I were to guess, maybe the MCS can handle all those zones already today? I believe that limit is more on the amp side.
(Although, I have not managed to set up independent virtual zones)

In general, with V2, we may be at the limit, or just below for private usage.

The strange observation I make is that I have run 5 outputs on 5.35 and 6 on 5.0 without audio problems, but now get the occasional jitter when I stress with repetitive track skipping (reloads) with just one output? This is new for 5.35. It’s easy to fix, just pause followed by play. Anyone else with this experience?

On my V2 I run:
- MCS
- VSPE
- HomeSeer
- 3 HomeSeer plug-ins, including Z-wave
- small daemons to monitor files & folders
- Spotify web API/
- Programmed web calls through Chrome and Edge
- Before discovering Airplay on 5.0, I was even running Shairport-sync on the whole Cygwin Linux platform with several daemons!

HomeSeer is integrated with MCS and my home automation Vera, but I need a few z-wave devices on HS. All are integrated with my alarm.
HS is used for sensor activated video-surveillance as well.
Furthermore, I use the SSD as a family fileserver, but without any sync SW.
I have considered installing Plex, but use it seldom these days.

HS3 as such only takes a a few CPU% when idle and around 25% when processing stuff for music and 50% compressing video.

All this works fine as the various processes seldom collide in time. Music when home, surveillance when away, web calls between tracks, etc... Plex would fit that paradigm.

But sure, better sound cards and DACs are available and may need e.g. USB 3.0? If the EG/CG can handle it...

We could get snappier apps?
Using Spotify Connect or Airplay on a shut off zone often requires two tries. Maybe this could become better? Or worse, if the programming is not asynchronous...
nyankov likes this.

Last edited by Bobone; 01-19-2020 at 01:57 PM.
post #725 of 1033 Old 01-19-2020, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Can someone tell me if other images than from the MPS4 (including online content) have ever turned up on the Nuvo app?
- Nuvo Tuner?
- iPad dock?
@xs10shl , @nyankov , @orlandojones111 , someone?!
Don’t you guys have this kind of Nuvo equipment? I don’t...
I doubt that album art ever appears, but would like to move it off the table once and for all.

Last edited by Bobone; 01-19-2020 at 02:04 PM.
post #726 of 1033 Old 01-19-2020, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I tried the instructions to login remotely but I might have different conditions. I entered 0000 as the support security code but two vnc viewers I tried can't connect. Zenmap shows that port 5900 is still closed. Should 0000 work for any MPS4?
post #727 of 1033 Old 01-19-2020, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
I doubt that album art ever appears, but would like to move it off the table once and for all.
I have both the Ipod dock and the T2SIR tuner. The album art does not appear for either device (only for the MPS4). I don't think there is any album art present in the RDS of radio broadcasts. Maybe SiriusXM satellite radio has album art, but I have never used that service so I don't know much about it. The Ipod could theoretically send album art through the dock though.

My semi-dedicated theater: The EXASCALE CINEMA
post #728 of 1033 Old 01-19-2020, 08:26 PM

5.0 didn't honor any #ALBUMARTAVAILABLE commands from sources outside of MCS, or any Album Art IDs that I could see, so I'd venture to say that 5.3 doesn't either.
post #729 of 1033 Old 01-20-2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
It's been a while since I used my Nuvo tuner (I actually took it down from the rack), but radio stations cover images did show on the app and the CTP36. Maybe the MPS4 browses the internet for an image for the specific station and pushes it to the app based on the radio station metadata from the tuner. Have not tried to use the tuner with the ver 5.35 software, which integrates Gracenote data.

The NuvoDock transmits images to the app and to the CTP36 for music found on the iphone/ipod itself, but not when streaming from other sources like Spotify or TuneIn. One can see the images on the iphone screen only. This is with or without an MPS4 present. The ver 5.35 software does not change this, although the metadata from the dock is available to the MPS4 to retrieve images from Gracenote. It is probably possible to devise some kind of refresh command sequence or setting which will make the MPS4 activate Gracenote and pull an image each time music from the dock (or from the tuner) changes.

EDIT: I hooked the Tuner and the NuvoDock to actually test image support. My mistake, no images show on the CTP36 from the NuvoDock or the Tuner, ever. I guess I was just confused. Streaming music from the MPS4 (whether playing from local files or internet-based services like Spotify or TuneIn) is the only image-supported activity on the GC/EG systems for now, unless some of the people on this thread come up with a solution. Bob's hack of changing the "unknown.jpg" image file on the MPS4 is as good as it gets for image support from other sources.

Last edited by nyankov; 02-20-2020 at 05:10 AM.
post #730 of 1033 Old 01-20-2020, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all!

@nyankov , what you write is extremely interesting.
Looking into the logs for those events would be very beneficial to solving both album art and refresh challenges for non-MCS sources.

You present two good hypothesis:
- that the albumart is somehow transfered over NuvoNet from the Dock.
- or that GraceNote picks up the metadata and finds the albumart on its own for the MCS.

CTP36 images also means that the Dock interface transfers more data than just "Apple-standardized" transport control. Very, very interesting for anyone w/o a MPS4 but able to hack an iPhone.
And yes, triggering refesh is a MCS challenge waiting for a solution!

The AhEhrSrvr.log would be very valuable to study.

Could you possibly help by making your logs available?:
1) Turn off all Autonomic processes and erase all your logs (you never need them).
2) Reboot
3) Perform events that transfer new dock images to the app. And to the CTP36? "Next" from the app would be an ideal operation that is easy to trace. Possibly by keeping approximate track of the clock.
4) Post the AhEhrSrvr.log here (could be two) a short period or email me? It contains no (afaik) usable authorization tokens or any other personal stuff.
(Save the other logs. They should not be involved, but just in case)

Thank you very much,

Bob

Last edited by Bobone; 01-20-2020 at 03:06 AM.
post #731 of 1033 Old 01-20-2020, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Very good questions and ideas!
Here are some thoughts:

1) I try to avoid calling the ‘Nuvo serial control’ protocol on RS232 for NuvoNet as it is not at all the same as on the RS485 used by all the devices connected to the EZ-port and labeled ‘NuvoNet’ by Nuvo. NuvoNet is very different:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-ho...-protocol.html
An IP-RS485 adapter will not help without some intelligence to form a bridge between the two protocols. I do not know if such intelligence is to be found in the MCS Nuvobridge software, but I really doubt it. What we have seen it produce is Nuvo serial protocol. A bridge between MCS protocol and Nuvo serial protocol.

2) For the time being, the NNA is the necessary bridge between (extended) Nuvo serial protocol for e.g. menus and NuvoNet protocol. At least until we have managed to create our own bridge. It can’t be that hard, but still hard enough! Hopefully someone cracks NuvoNet.
Furthermore rs232 is used between the NNA and the GC/EG for basic transport control using standard Nuvo serial protocol. That could be done over IP.

3) the Nuvo card in the MPS4 is actually two combined: a USB based sound card from Attero tech and a NNA from Nuvo. Although I have never tried, it should be possible to run them separately; or just disable the Attero card. NNAs are also found as NV-MPs.

4) For higher sound fidelity I see three paths forward for MPS4 owners:
- use the spdif output. Hopefully @nhollis succeeds and can tell us more
- plug in a (USB) sound card directly on the board and unplug the Nuvo card’s USB connection while keeping the serial one.
- plug in an external USB sound card.
Our license may or may not set some limitations on the amount and type of outputs installed. Still unclear (see previous posts on this topic).

I am no expert but may have picked up that newer sound cards rely on usb 3.0 for better sound. That logic could be the reason for the V2 Nuvo card to be connected to a PCI slot and not USB, but I am really out of my league here.

A second note is that I have no clue regarding which granularity the GC is working at. At some point, the sound card’s precision becomes irrelevant. I understand that this can be tested by plugging in a source to the GC and increasing the bit depth to a point when the sound disappears. Have never tried.
Still waiting on backplane for SPDIF slow boat from China.. Will report .
Note RDP does not allow the viewing of sound devices so back to VNA. Is it possible to use embedded tech support VNA without having to buy subscription?
post #732 of 1033 Old 01-20-2020, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhollis View Post
Note RDP does not allow the viewing of sound devices so back to VNA.
Not sure I understand what you mean. Maybe Googling "Keep local audio playing with RDP" will help.
RDP works fine for me with mRemoteNG. FW needs to be open.
post #733 of 1033 Old 01-20-2020, 07:24 PM

We have a NV-RIPD with an old iPhone docked on it just for the music. My son would instead like to connect to the system with his iPhone using bluetooth. There are many bluetooth to 30-pin adapters but I don't know if any or all would provide metadata like an iPod or iPhone do. It would seem to be a simple capability to include in such an adapter but I'm not assuming that all do. Of those I've seen, they don't explicitly say whether they support iPod metadata. Does anyone know what specification look for or models that are known to pass through metadata or those that don't work?
post #734 of 1033 Old 01-20-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
The V1 is soon a 10 yr old, yet powerful product. Legrand have ceased to give offical support, even though I find Nuvo support staff very professional and kind enough to provide some help at times.

The fact is still that we need to be able to help ourselves and I feel that the instructions below are to the benefit of everyone, including Legrand.

As you know, there is a cover over the video ports on the V1 as opposed to the V2 (see post in November).
Nuvo have installed VNC to remotely service the machines. So can you!

Do this:
1) Get hold of any VNC viewer. (I use mRemoteNG for many protocols, including RDT)
2) Enter 0000 where you enable support on http://music-port/Config/Software.aspx
3) Access the Windows desktop by entering the IPaddress in the VNC viewer(port 5900). Enter "suite310" as password (its written in the registry).
4) Do whatever SIMPLE task you had in mind, like turning on Airplay or doing chkdsk.exe (important!).

For any more advanced action, making a 1-1 copy of your HD is highly recommended.

VNC is slow, but better than nothing (RDT can be set-up, but will require quite alot of fiddling to use as the "Administrator").

Good luck!
I tried to login remotely and used 0000 as the support security code but can't connect, even using mRemoteNG. Zenmap shows that port 5900 is still closed. Should 0000 work for any MPS4? Are there any other codes known to work?
post #735 of 1033 Old 01-20-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardjk View Post
We have a NV-RIPD with an old iPhone docked on it just for the music. My son would instead like to connect to the system with his iPhone using bluetooth. There are many bluetooth to 30-pin adapters but I don't know if any or all would provide metadata like an iPod or iPhone do. It would seem to be a simple capability to include in such an adapter but I'm not assuming that all do. Of those I've seen, they don't explicitly say whether they support iPod metadata. Does anyone know what specification look for or models that are known to pass through metadata or those that don't work?

I have tried several bluetooth adapters with the NuvoDock and all work great for sound but none transmit metadata.
post #736 of 1033 Old 01-21-2020, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I tried to login remotely and used 0000 as the support security code but can't connect, even using mRemoteNG. Zenmap shows that port 5900 is still closed. Should 0000 work for any MPS4? Are there any other codes known to work?
Sorry to hear. It has worked for me and a few other so I thought that it was generic. Maybe someone with fresh experience can comment?
My V1 is now running 5.0 on Win7 and does not have the support feature anymore. I can't remember what it looked like.
Just unscrew the cover from the inside and attach a screen directly to get you passed this first hurdle.
Maybe you can find out what is wrong with VNC?

Don't know of any repository other than Legrand's.
Meanwhile, why don't you post it here and tell me what kind of links you want me to create on the first page.
Your work sounds valuable and possibly a general method for other HW.

Last edited by Bobone; 01-21-2020 at 04:29 AM.
post #737 of 1033 Old 01-21-2020, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know of a repository of NuVo information where I could upload the schematic for future reference by others?

This forum seems as good as any repository for Nuvo GC/EG systems information. It is the most useful and complete collection of instructions and findings about these products I know of. Posting any schematics and other data here will be helpful to many Nuvo owners looking to extend the life of their systems in the absence of official support.
post #738 of 1033 Old 01-21-2020, 06:33 AM

NV-T2DFG (tuner) Switching Mode Power Supply

My NV-T2DFG tuner power supply failed due to aged electrolytic capacitors but rather than immediately assume this was the problem, I wanted to troubleshoot by getting in-circuit measurements first. I couldn't find a schematic of the power supply so I essentially reverse-engineered the board and created one. I know of no other repository of NuVo information so I uploaded the schematic here for future reference by others. I didn't fully label components nor did I need to for my purposes. I also made some assumptions (e.g. transformer windings) based on other similar designs.

I replaced electrolytic capacitors C6, C11, and C12. C6 was obviously bad. C11 and C12 are part of the feedback loop which was also faulty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NV-T2 Power Supply Schematic.png
Views:	32
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	2692508  
Bobone and nyankov like this.

Last edited by wardjk; 03-03-2020 at 07:03 AM.
post #739 of 1033 Old 01-21-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear. It has worked for me and a few other so I thought that it was generic. Maybe someone with fresh experience can comment?
My V1 is now running 5.0 on Win7 and does not have the support feature anymore. I can't remember what it looked like.
Just unscrew the cover from the inside and attach a screen directly to get you passed this first hurdle.
Maybe you can find out what is wrong with VNC?
I think the only thing wrong with VNC is that the port doesn't open after entering the code. I tried two different VNC viewers before checking Zenmap to find the port still closed. I'll probably have to try a direct connection later. The unit is in a rack in a cabinet and I'll have to remove it to get the VGA port cover off. After I make a direct connection, how can I view or set the remote support security code? Without VNC, is there a way to connect other than directly? Remote Desktop should be available with Win7. If not, I probably won't upgrade to Win7 because a direct connection is not a practical long-term solution for me because the rack is not near a Keyboard-Video-Mouse.
post #740 of 1033 Old 01-21-2020, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
NV-T2DFG Switching Mode Power Supply
I replaced electrolytic capacitors C6, C11, and C12. C6 was obviously bad. C11 and C12 are part of the feedback loop which was also faulty.
Great! I put up a link.

Sounds similar to a few other videos I've seen regarding Nuvo capacitors:
- MPS4:
- NV-P2100:

Last edited by Bobone; 01-21-2020 at 08:30 AM.
post #741 of 1033 Old 01-21-2020, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think the only thing wrong with VNC is that the port doesn't open after entering the code. I tried two different VNC viewers before checking Zenmap to find the port still closed. I'll probably have to try a direct connection later. The unit is in a rack in a cabinet and I'll have to remove it to get the VGA port cover off. After I make a direct connection, how can I view or set the remote support security code? Without VNC, is there a way to connect other than directly? Remote Desktop should be available with Win7. If not, I probably won't upgrade to Win7 because a direct connection is not a practical long-term solution for me because the rack is not near a Keyboard-Video-Mouse.
Sorry, don't know how to find that code. The VNC code was written in the registry.
WinXPe does not support RDP, hence VNC. Win 7 Pro has RDP.
If you are a Spotify user, you will need Win7 (see upgrade).

Last edited by Bobone; 01-22-2020 at 10:10 AM.
post #742 of 1033 Old 01-21-2020, 01:16 PM

I replaced the caps on my MPS4 as a preventative measure even though it was working fine. When I took it apart the main filter cap (the big one on it's side) had a slight buldge. So I replaced it and the two big caps on the secondary side as well.

The specs are:
Filter cap - 82UF 20% 400V (digikey pn 493-13078-nd)
Secondary caps (2ea) - 1000UF 20% 35V (digikey pn 1189-1888-nd)

Quote:
Great! I put up a link.

Sounds similar to a few other videos I've seen regarding Nuvo capacitors:
- MPS4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbaCtzuZZ7s
- NV-P2100: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj-qbYPCmJ8
Bobone likes this.

post #743 of 1033 Old 01-21-2020, 04:30 PM

Has anyone successfully used an Apple product with a lightning connector through an adapter to a NV-RIPD NuVoDock? After I plug my iPhone into the adapter, keypads just say "Connecting iPod". When I attach an iPod or iPhone with a 30-pin connector, it only takes a second or two for the keypads to be updated with the current song info. I don't know if an Apple product with a lightning connector can appear the same as an iPod to the dock.

Last edited by wardjk; 02-28-2020 at 06:48 AM.
post #744 of 1033 Old 01-21-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Has anyone successfully used an Apple product with a lightning link connector through an adapter to a NV-RIPD NuVoDock? After I plug my iPhone into the adapter, keypads just say "Connecting iPod". When I attach an iPod or iPhone with a 30-pin connector, it only takes a second or two for the keypads to be updated with the current song info. I don't know if an Apple product with a lightning link connector can appear the same as an iPod to the dock.

I have successfully used a newer iPod with the lightning connector with the dock via a 30 pin to lightning adapter. But I think I read somewhere that iPhones will not work with the adapter cable (except maybe for power & audio).
wardjk likes this.

post #745 of 1033 Old 01-22-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Remote Desktop should be available with Win7. If not, I probably won't upgrade to Win7 because a direct connection is not a practical long-term solution for me because the rack is not near a Keyboard-Video-Mouse.

Win 7 supports RDP only in the Pro and Enterprise versions. But you can install any RDP server on the machine (like the free Teamviewer, for example) and get this functionality if you use another lighter Win 7 version like Starter or Home. It is definitely worth taking the MPS4 off the rack for a day, replacing the HDD with an SSD, adding some RAM and then upgrading to Win 7 and the newest Autonomic MCS ver 5.35+ software. Detailed instructions for all hardware and software upgrades can be found in this forum - it is best to look at the first post (Bobone's), it serves as a table of contents with active links to each step. This upgrade path will open the door to a number of new streaming services, GraceNote integration for album art, Google Drive and iCloud integration, native AirPlay functions and - probably the most important feature for me - flawless Spotify integration (if you are a premium Spotify user), allowing each zone in your system to be used as a separate Spotify Connect speaker device. It will also make the system much faster and more reliable in any respect.
Bobone and wardjk like this.

Last edited by nyankov; 01-22-2020 at 10:07 AM.
post #746 of 1033 Old 01-22-2020, 11:04 PM

Non-working MPS4 popped up on eBay, practically free plus shipping. Based on the "clicking" sound in the description, it will likely need a new SSD, but it may work just fine after that. Perhaps there is someone lurking on this thread who is waiting for a unit like this to jump in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NUVO-MUSIC-...IAAOSwNTheKOdA

To runWin7, you'll likely need to budget an additional $150 for an SSD, 1GB of additional memory, and a Win7 license.
post #747 of 1033 Old 01-23-2020, 12:11 AM

The faint clicking and no power on... To me it means the power supply has bad capacitors. It's good that we covered that a few posts ago. It's an easy fix if you know how to solder. You want a working hard drive when you purchase it to save the license file!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs10shl View Post
Non-working MPS4 popped up on eBay, practically free plus shipping. Based on the "clicking" sound in the description, it will likely need a new SSD, but it may work just fine after that. Perhaps there is someone lurking on this thread who is waiting for a unit like this to jump in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NUVO-MUSIC-...IAAOSwNTheKOdA

To runWin7, you'll likely need to budget an additional $150 for an SSD, 1GB of additional memory, and a Win7 license.
Bobone likes this.
post #748 of 1033 Old 01-23-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWarlock View Post
...bad capacitors. It's good that we covered that a few posts ago.
The schematic I drew is for a NV-T2DFG (tuner) Switching Mode Power Supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWarlock View Post
You want a working hard drive when you purchase it to save the license file!
Would a copied license from another unit work? Does the software check for an ID in hardware to validate the license used?
post #749 of 1033 Old 01-23-2020, 11:54 AM

Forgot that the license server issue is still unconfirmed/unresolved. I myself had issues installing 5.0 a few months ago (which I think was an issue unrelated to the license), but i in turn had no real issues with 5.3 (but I already had my license from the old HD) Someone may have to bite the bullet and definitively determine that a proper re-install with a virgin HD still works as desired, and generates a new license file.

License files are locked to the MAC address of the network card and there are software controls in place to check for it. There are some workarounds to get it to work, but on the whole, it’s not really advised to run one single license on 2 machines simultaneously- that is certainly not permissible. It does appear that autonomic made provisions for transferring a license from one machine to another in 5.0, but I’ve never attempted it (and it would of course require a working HD to get it to run)
post #750 of 1033 Old 01-23-2020, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

The license server still works. At least last month it did. For that price I would definitely take my chance, with or without salvaged HD.

Any buyer should ask about the LED activity on the front panel when connected to a network to get a feeling for what could be wrong.

In that sense, it's great that @AlienWarlock confirmed that he had successfully changed his capacitors in a recent post. The video is quite illustrative as well.
Did you do it preemptively to avoid failure or to improve audio quality from the sound card?

I have recently lurked around for better sound cards. Although it remains an option to change the whole sound card, I have come to the conclusion that it is both easier and better to add an external DAC if I ever wanted to feed better speakers with more hifi. Very good USB DACs do not require usb 3.0 and the SPDIF option is there.
Will try some day, but I frankly think that the Attero card is good enough for me.

EDIT:
- The unit is sold! And the buyer is?

Last edited by Bobone; 01-23-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
essentia , grand concerto , mps4 , nuvo , nuvonet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page