Nuvo G Concerto, Essentia, MPS4, ... Integration, modernization and preservation - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 96Likes

post #61 of 628 Old 10-21-2018, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Bobone, thanks for the head start. I've got Chromecast and Homeseer working with the GC. It works quite well with Spotify, and OK with "free" Pandora. I'm seeing now that I'll have to make several conditional clauses for keypad control, depending on the current CCA Application that is broadcasting, in order to maximize the featureset.

I made several modifications to SendMetaData.vb to accomodate Multi-User, Multi-Source, Multi CCA, but it's not complete yet. In order to keep things basic, I've added a few more global variables to accommodate the metadata from the additional CCAs. I still need to have separate HS events for each installed CCA (as far as I can figure - It's only day one), and pass a parameter from the event to SendMetaData - "CCA1", "CCA2", or "CCA3" - which now has several conditionals to grab the appropriate CCA Metadata.

An annoyance which may not be able to overcome is the klunkyness of chromecast with a cellphone when it comes to stopping and restarting a music service. For example, when I exit the iPhone app, one might intuitively expect that this would also turn off the corresponding Nuvo zone, but the Chromecast appears to be still playing. I also need to see if there's a way to cause CCA to resume somewhat near where it left off when I turn a zone on. Or at the very least, default to a pre-determined Application.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 628 Old 10-22-2018, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hello Xs10shl,

Sounds really interesting! Look forward to see your improvements when they become ripe.
Perhaps you saw my multizone version for zone control? Maybe something to build on for more CCAs or maybe not, 2-3 CCAs might be manageable using event cloning.

I also noticed that the CCA continues on its own without the app. Not sure if it’s a feature or a bug! 😁 and don’t know how to solve it through the app only... From the keypad I think it works already in my script with a forced “pause”.

As for picking up again, my impression is that “pause” keeps the CCA active for some time (1hr?), but I do not know what the limit is. If you extend the HS logging to “debug”, you can see the URL that the CCA is using which could possibly be used. I asked Spud how to script the PI and he mentioned that it was on is his todo list. Unclear ETA. Remind him. I haven’t tested if some workaround like a windows shortcut could be manipulated to make the Hs casting event more dynamic.

Cheers,
Bob
post #63 of 628 Old 10-22-2018, 08:23 AM

Bob,

(wordy post - apologies in advance)
I actually stripped out the menuing features for the moment, just to make things a little cleaner. What you've done with menuing looks really interesting, and seems to expand the base menu system in ways Nuvo probably never imagined. If Spud ever gets URL working, then I'd consider implementing a menu item to allow me to select from a handful of "favorite" music apps and streams. The chromecast plugin works fairly well - well enough to use daily, IMHO. Spud claims he authored it with Google Play in mind, but I find it actually works best with spotify.

I've now got it working with 2 CCAs, and code provisions for a third, which I probably wont need. There are small bugs here and there, mostly related to initial casting, and updating the timer display. One bug which I can't seem to solve is proper handling of an iPhone "rewind" event, as it doesn't appear to cause the HS Image Event to be triggered (which in turn causes the timer reset). I played with the event settings for a while, to see if I could find a pattern which I could branch off of, and eventually decided I could live with the timer bugs. I've pinged Spud in the hope that he'll make streaming position available as either an event or a CAPI. That would likely eliminate the need for a global timer.

Another HS annoyance is the multiple event triggers that occur for a new song. Both Title and Play events are triggered, which causes the SendMetaData script to be called twice. HS does a fine job in making sure only one call is running, but I imagine there must be a way to short-circuit one of the events to avoid calling the script twice in the first place - perhaps in the form of some event logic - if only to rid the log files of all the warning messages.

I'll probably spend a little more time on it, at least to the point where I can train my family to use the native iPhone apps with casting (casting interface is not super intuitive, IMHO - I haven't checked for a "cast by default" setting, which would help). But I'm probably never going to implement a suitable MPS4 "replacement" and corresponding app. This solution already relies on too many intermediaries, any of which may decide to stop supporting their necessary piece, causing the same problem we are all facing with MPS4. Not to mention the fact the Google is notorious for suddenly dropping an entire product line with no notice - I can envision them deciding that the CCA is on the chopping block.

More posts as I make more progress. Happy to post the code once I get things to where I'm satisfied, so you can examine it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 628 Old 10-22-2018, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs10shl View Post
Bob,

I actually stripped out the menuing features for the moment, just to make things a little cleaner. What you've done with menuing looks really interesting, and seems to expand the base menu system in ways Nuvo probably never imagined.
Good move!

Quote:
If Spud ever gets URL working, then I'd consider implementing a menu item to allow me to select from a handful of "favorite" music apps and streams.
URLs actually work already, but only hardcoded. I use it for a radio station, but would like to use a variable for a more dynamic selection.

Quote:
One bug which I can't seem to solve is proper handling of an iPhone "rewind" event, as it doesn't appear to cause the HS Image Event to be triggered (which in turn causes the timer reset). I played with the event settings for a while, to see if I could find a pattern which I could branch off of, and eventually decided I could live with the timer bugs. I've pinged Spud in the hope that he'll make streaming position available as either an event or a CAPI. That would likely eliminate the need for a global timer.
That’s odd. Don’t really remember how I did this, but it works for me to rewind on the iPhone and get a reset of the timer. I trigger on the image as well. Hm... Does the PI/CCA revert to Play after Go to beginning? Don’t remember...

Quote:
Another HS annoyance is the multiple event triggers that occur for a new song. Both Title and Play events are triggered, which causes the SendMetaData script to be called twice. HS does a fine job in making sure only one call is running, but I imagine there must be a way to short-circuit one of the events to avoid calling the script twice in the first place - perhaps in the form of some event logic - if only to rid the log files of all the warning messages.
Hm... I get fairly clean events w/o doubles. Wonder why or if I just suppress them. Is that true for Spotify (which I use mostly?)
EDIT: Agree! Number of events seem to be a bit inconsistent.

Quote:
More posts as I make more progress. Happy to post the code once I get things to where I'm satisfied, so you can examine it.
Sounds great!

Last edited by Bobone; 10-22-2018 at 02:39 PM.
post #65 of 628 Old 10-22-2018, 10:35 PM

So here it is. I had to change things for my multi-source features so it's not at all backwards compatible- that and I removed all menuing for the moment. But it will give you an idea of how I'm approaching multi-CCA. I've added support for 3 CCAs, but I only have 2 CCAs to test with, so I can't say I've tried all the permutations out. It appears to handle average case scenarios decently, but there's still plenty of random problems that crop up. Every so often some data field is not set, or you do something on the phone app which causes the plugin to stop playing. If nothing else, it might give you some ideas. If anyone cares to give this a try, you are welcome to it, but it is offered without any warranties or guarantees, and may not work given your specific setup.

I'm sure with enough work I could make the system self-configure, but that's going to take more time than it's worth.

Hand-Edits in Homeseer:
* Add 3 new timers, "CCA1 TitleTimer", "CCA2 TitileTimer", and "CCA3 TitleTimer"
* Add 3 new events corresponding to each CCA as before
* Add a parameter "CCA1", "CCA2" or "CCA3" to each event, to be passed to SendMetaData.vb, depending on which event is being called.
Notes - I'm experimenting with an Idle event, that might more gracefully deal with CCA disconnects. So far, it only resets the timer. I was hoping to use it to call a spotify or google url, but that function wasn't working as I expected. Right now it's more of a placeholder.

startup.vb:
* Unmodified from BOBONE's version.

PortCallBack.vb & SendMetaData.vb:
* Now use different global variables, and added functionality to branch based on configured CCAs

InitMetaData.vb:
* Contains all the global variables needed to run the scripts. Some altered logic.

* Change the variable values at the top of the script that are being defined to match your system.

Notes - This should be the only script you'll need to modify for your given system. I've added a global PortDebug boolean which you can toggle during run time to get more data from the sub calls Port is now a global as well. Lastly, there's CCA_Name has to be whatever the Chromecast plugin uses for "Room" on the Device List, as opposed to the name given to the CCA by Google.

I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting which will cause the system to not work properly, first time.

Known Issues/Left to do:
* Startup is not handled gracefully. Source Display is not defaulted properly
* The first casted song does not display proper time. Without a known stream position, there's not much that can be done, short of forcing the song to start playing from the beginning. That is not a universal solution, because free services do not allow that feature.
* On my machine, a "Rewind" command on a 3rd party app does not trigger a reset of the TitleTimer, causing the display to show an incorrect timer.
* Chromecast Timeout is not handled gracefully
* Zone On and Off is currently a non-op, as far as the CCA is concerned. There needs to be a way where Homeseer keeps track of how many zones are using a given source, and when all of them are off, the CCA geos into some sort of holding pattern, keeping the Application loaded, but not streaming - perhaps a quick "Play & Pause" every 30 minutes?
* Little error checking built in.

Comments welcome.

[Edit] I've looked at the code again and have spotted 2 or 3 bugs in some of the logic. I'll have to set this project aside for the moment, but when I get back to it I'll make the fixes, and attempt to work on the "Zone On" handling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	events.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	2472096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Global Timers.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	2472098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample Parameter Passing.JPG
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	2472100  
Attached Files
File Type: zip CCA_Multi.zip (4.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by xs10shl; 10-22-2018 at 11:11 PM.
post #66 of 628 Old 10-23-2018, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Great work!
We now have a multi-CCA solution thanks to you!
You have certainly cleaned up my hack and I look forward to your next versions along this path.

In the callback.vb, you commented out a few lines of code with:" Handle 'On' and 'Off' command conditions first ' Much of this is for Menuing".
This code updates the Zone devices without triggering an event. They handle/display On/Off, volume, source, etc... The "conditional" ZoneEvents device is to avoid loops.

Someone (don't remember who) used zone device as an inspiration to start making a HSTouch App. It could combine preset or dynamic URLs etc in the future.
If this could be done, one could actually make a better media client than the MPS4....

The last part of InitMetata.vb (starting with a "Try") is an attempt to try to autoconfigure the DeviceArray variable with IDs of the zone devices. Requires them to be named like "Z##".

Last edited by Bobone; 10-23-2018 at 06:52 AM.
post #67 of 628 Old 10-23-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobone View Post
Great work!

In the callback.vb, you commented out a few lines of code with:" Handle 'On' and 'Off' command conditions first ' Much of this is for Menuing".
This code updates the Zone devices without triggering an event. They handle/display On/Off, volume, source, etc... The "conditional" ZoneEvents device is to avoid loops.
Whoops I see that now. I had put in a placeholder conditional to exit the sub on non-actionable data for that purpose, but I never finished it - in fact I just noticed it does nothing. For that matter, I'm not checking for race conditions, recursions, or order of execution bugs, which tend to crop up. At some point I'll take a look at that as well.

I also slightly changed functionality - this version reacts to a "Rewind" button press as "Rewind and play" and a "Next" button press as a "Next and Play". Just a personal preference.

IMHO if everything stays stable like this, the GC/keypads might be good for another few years - perhaps 2020 and beyond. Being able to add Youtube Music as an integrated source is nice too.
post #68 of 628 Old 10-23-2018, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
IMHO if everything stays stable like this, the GC/keypads might be good for another few years - perhaps 2020 and beyond. Being able to add Youtube Music as an integrated source is nice too.
Hope so!

Just started to fool around with the new "URL script casting". Works fine with the .mp3 stations that I use.
I wonder if we could find the right Spotify URLs?
post #69 of 628 Old 10-23-2018, 01:46 PM

Spud may need to expand the plugin to act as an app which stores login information for each site. Unless permissions can be encoded in the URL- I’m not exactly sure how it works.
post #70 of 628 Old 10-29-2018, 12:46 AM

Sonos Support now added to Homeseer scripts

This updated version adds Sonos support to the GC through Homeseer. The current version is hard coded to allow up to 3 Sonos units and 3 Chromecast Audio units. I've only managed to test with a single Sonos unit, along with 2 CCA units, so there are undoubtedly bugs in any larger multi-unit deployment, especially in situations where someone has implemented group settings on Sonos.

The Sonos implementation is much cleaner than the Chromecast version, mainly due to the fact that the free HS Sonos plug-in has been around for years, and is very feature rich. That said, not everything works exactly as predicted, and even with several hours of testing both radio streams and play lists, I wasn't able to produce an entirely consistent look and feel between the App and the NuVo keypads.

Despite the above, I've purposely made the code bloated - especially PortCallBack.vb - because I wasn't sure at the time of writing how the individual methods would react. Seeing it now working, it's clear that there are many redundant parts, and likely there is a much cleaner way of implementing the NuVo keypresses.

Please note that this version is not compatible with Bobone's feature-rich menu version, as I've had to strip out all the menu code for the time being.

With this, I'm now totally convinced that there is no need to revive my MPS4, and that this is the way forward for me.

InitMetaData.vb -

* change the values of the global variables in this file to match your system

* comment out the section with respect to VolumeSet - I forgot to do this for you - it is my attempt at setting the default volumes for each source.\

Homeseer -
* Add the Sonos and CCA Plugins
* Verify that the names Sonos and CCA "Room" Section match your Name parameters in the InitMetaData script
* Add new events to the system for Sonos (see pictures). Make Sure you include a parameter called "Sonos1" to Sonos1 events, "Sonos2" to Sonos2 events, etc.

* Copy the attached scripts into your /scripts folder

Issues -
* The updating of the Nuvo Screens is noticeably slow, because I added a 1 second delay prior to calling SendMetaData.vb. This is to avoid a problem where some value fields do not get set speedily enough prior to the event being called. I've found that adding a second delay prior to loading song-related data from the plugin is enough time to have the fields populated properly. It's not an ideal solution, but I will continue to fiddle with it
* Behavior is not consitent between Sonos and CCA Sources, especially on "Prev" commands. Not sure what I can do about this, but perhaps there's a trick I didn't think of.
* Misc display bugs, mostly involving the Play/Pause and timer
* Startup is still fugly - lots of display issues. Nothing settles down until the things are casting on the 2nd song.
* No real error checking or graceful handling of out-of-bounds events

Feel free to have a crack at it if you'd like. As always, it's offered without warranty or guarantees of suitability. All credit and accolades to Bobone for his primary contributions and programming to this process, without which I may have elected to rip out my NuVo entirely.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sonos events 2.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	2475068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sonos Events.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	2475070  
Attached Files
File Type: zip CCA_Sonos_Multi.zip (5.9 KB, 18 views)
markrubin and Bobone like this.

Last edited by xs10shl; 10-29-2018 at 01:29 AM.
post #71 of 628 Old 11-04-2018, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

MPS4 question

I have never really understood how to gain control over my MPS4...

1) I would like to back up the system and change hard drive.
- Hopefully someone can give us a step by step tutorial....

2) Don't really understand how to access files without the sync program.
- In my network I can see the device and access a folder called "Music", but it only shows playlists (.m3u files)
- Where are the songs? Are they hidden?

Thanks,

Bob
post #72 of 628 Old 11-04-2018, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This might be common knowledge but maybe not.
I havent researched this subject too much thus far but I am/was planning to replace the HHD with an SSD. I opened the MPS4 up to verify which HHD is was and found a Segate 500GB notebook drive and 2GB memory installed. I put it back together, plugged a monitor into the HDMI port, and booted the machine. It went straight to a standard Windows XP screen. There were three or four icons on the desktop. I didnt have a mouse plugged in so i counldnt move around. I will do this again but have mouse plugged in on reboot to see if i can open things.
Anyway, i did a little looking around on cloning XP to an SSD and found it wasnt recommended because XP doesnt have some features which can utilize and SSD but I dont know enough to know if this is true. There are two ports on the MB labled SATA 0 and SATA 1 (if i remember correctly) so it seems another drive could be connected making cloning pretty easy, i think. The currently installed HHD is connected to SATA 0.
I was thinking of getting a Samsung EVO 500GB drive and use their cloning software. Dont know yet if their cloning software works on XP or if it would even be wise to install another program on to the MPS4 HHD.
post #73 of 628 Old 11-06-2018, 11:42 AM

FYI There is a Homeseer NuVo Player Portfolio plug-in provided by Legrand which would make it very straightforward to link the GC system and keypads to the line of Player Portfolio products. I probably wont be exploring this, with a preference to move to Sonos, but the release seems to indicate it's a decently feature rich plug-in.

There is also an abandoned legacy NuVo Plugin for Homeseer which apparently doesn't work. However, it's trivial (if somewhat tedious, depending on the number of Zones you have) to create Devices and Events which can interact with the GC System, and simulate a "NuVo GC Plugin". This is still a work in progress for me, and I'm not sure how necessary it is, given everything else I've already got working. But doing this Device work makes throwing together an HSTouch MPS4-Style app dirt simple, so there's a small incentive there.

Information about the Portfolio Plugin found here:
https://shop.homeseer.com/products/n...lug-in-for-hs3
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nuvoZones.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	2478710  
post #74 of 628 Old 11-08-2018, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Album art from MPS4

Try this with your music port ipaddress: http://music-port/getart?&h=380&w=300&c=1&fmt=jpg

More info here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-ho...over-http.html

Last edited by Bobone; 11-11-2018 at 05:55 PM.
post #75 of 628 Old 11-17-2018, 11:56 AM

An update for anyone looking to migrate from MPS4 or integrate Sonos with Nuvo through Homeseer:

Code for syncronizing Sonos:Homeseer:Nuvo proceeds. I've got a process now for creating control of NuVo zones entirely within the Homeseer Device framework. The process for entering Zones as Homeseer devices is quire manual, but thankfully a one-time job. I briefly explored auto-creating the devices, but quickly abandoned it due to the limited benefits. The system does make use of a $29 plug-in which simplifies the events needed down to just 4 (the cost in exchange for simplicity was well worth it). It's now at the point where commands to NuVo can be issued from a music App, Homeseer, and NuVo keypads alike, with current state of each zone syncronized and updated between the platforms. There's a bug with "all off" and "party mode" which I have not yet implemented fully.

The next step in creating an iPad MPS4/Sonos-Like controller has proven slightly more challenging. The HS3Touch GUI environment is spartan, but functional. The biggest problem is it's lack of refresh rate. It can take seconds for a finger click to register, making the user experience quite poor. Screens with many controls take a REALLY long time to render. I'm exploring alternative design methodologies.

Attached are a few screenshots of what the Homeseer devices look like. For the moment, the Source lists are hand edited, as are the Zone names. At some point I may write a function to auto-populate these from a file, eliminating the manual configuration piece, should there be any interest from others to try it out.

Costs so far for all the software required to make this work is about $250-$300, assuming you have a spare computer to run Homeseer on. Homeseer runs a 50% off special in November, so now it the time to make the jump if you are on the fence.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 10.39.45 PM.png
Views:	38
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	2484142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 10.40.07 PM.png
Views:	42
Size:	455.2 KB
ID:	2484144  
post #76 of 628 Old 11-18-2018, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Great work

I find it great that you have now done what so many on the whole AVS forum have wanted for so long time!
- integration of Nuvo Grand Concerto w/ Keypads and Sonos.
- integration of chromecast audio/music apps and the grand concerto with keypads.
- possible integration of Nuvo GC and Player line (as there is a Plugin sponsored by Legrand for Homeseer!)

I have also tinkered a little with HSTouch to potentially replace the MPS4. Responsiveness for my simple tries was pretty decent, but I can imagine that more complex apps may lose inf performance.
Would you have a screen shot of your app?

Congrats!
Bob

Last edited by Bobone; 11-19-2018 at 02:09 PM.
post #77 of 628 Old 11-19-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Would you have a screen shot of your app?
Thanks for the positive comments, Bobone. You got the ball rolling with your code, so I cant take all the credit!

My HS3Touch work is not at all ready for display - at this point I am simply testing connectivity and proof of concept - 2 or 3 zones worth of linked controls on an otherwise blank screen, without any formatting. I had designed the Zone devices in HS to contain all the relevant display descriptions, such as Name and Source display names, and have HS3Touch auto-populate its display using references to these names. This way I'd only need to change the names in the HS devices, should I change my NuVo configuration. This would also be the easiest way to distribute an MPS4-styple app, for others to use. But I'm learning that this style of coding makes the GUI so slow its practically unusable, particularly on my older iPads.

The only alternative appears to be hard-coding some of the NuVo values into the GUI as well, and then making a call to HS if any inputs change. This bothers me a bit, because using this approach, I've now got yet another system which needs to sync up with the current NuVo configuration. I'll need to test the best approach for keeping HS and HS3Touch in sync, while making the app speedy enough that it is usable on a regular basis.

I'll be happy to post my solution once I get something which I'm satisfied with. Stay tuned!
Bobone likes this.
post #78 of 628 Old 11-19-2018, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wow

This is wonderful, like many I too have been unable ot fully use my legacy GC install and metadata.
Thank you both for working on this.

Would you be able to post a video showing the Nuvo keypads in operation for both Sonos and Chromecast? I need to purchase in both cases those devices and would be great to see the Sonos in operation as I consider purchasing one to try out your solution!

Also, have you been able to do this is a standalone Homeseer device like a SEL instead of a second PC and using a USB to Serial adapter? Seems like it could work but not sure where to put those setting in an embedded Homerseer machine.

Thank you.
post #79 of 628 Old 11-20-2018, 08:15 AM

I can’t speak reliably as to the stand-alone Homeseer boxes, and how locked down they are. You’ll definitely need access to the scripts folder to use this system, and I don’t have an install script - all must be configured manually at the moment, so a little programming-ish knowledge is preferred. Another approach to the Homeseer boxes would be to purchase a small PC and do a manual install of homeseer. I'm using the Windows version.

I’ll see if I can put together a demo next week. Everything mostly works as you would expect, but not all music services have been thoroughly tested. Bobone has a demo of the CCA system on this thread, and he has done some trick coding to simulate the “position” indicator on the keypads, which the Sonos system handles within the Homeseer plugin.

Most of the bugs I’ve seen center around an occasional screen refresh fail, and errors in displaying track duration. Basic functions have always worked.

Last edited by xs10shl; 11-21-2018 at 03:07 AM.
post #80 of 628 Old 11-20-2018, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have had the small Homeseer box for 2 years now. It is actually a small raspberry pi and has run flawlessly all of that time. I use it daily with events and Alexa support to control my OMNI pro.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #81 of 628 Old 11-20-2018, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post
I have had the small Homeseer box for 2 years now. It is actually a small raspberry pi and has run flawlessly all of that time. I use it daily with events and Alexa support to control my OMNI pro.

Joe
I think the dedicated homeseer servers are all linux based. That is not that big a deal, but some of the older plugins are windows only, so you should make sure of that before going down that route.

If the linux version is good for you, HS is running a 50% off sale on software this month for black fridat, so you can get the Raspberry Pi version (which is probably enough for this sort of use) for $75, and can run up to 5 plugins. It's a great way of getting started with HS. Installing on a PI is pretty easy, but you can also get a Raspberry Pi based server with software for $150 if you want to go down the pure appliance path.

Thx
mike
post #82 of 628 Old 11-21-2018, 03:52 AM

BTW I'm using the windows version of the software, but from what I can tell all the plugins I use are Win/Linux compliant. I'm using HS3Pro, but I'm not using any Pro plugins that an end user would need - I just wanted access to HS3Touch Designer, which is included in the Pro package. Everything is free to try for 30 days. As mentioned, The base HS3 software is on sale for 50% off for November. Here's the cost breakdown for the software I've used so far:

HS3Std (Currently $125. will be $250 after the sale)

Dirk Corsus Sonos Software Plugin (Free)
Spud Easy Trigger ($30)
Spud Chromecast ($40)

The priciest pieces are the Sonos boxes. I bought 2 used Sonos Connect from a friend for $150 apiece. CCA are $35 each. Sonos vs CCA is not an exact "Apples to Apples" comparison, in terms of user experience, IMHO. I prefer the user experience of Sonos to Chromecast, I feel Sonos behaves more predictably, and I like that I don't have to keep selecting a device to cast every time I power up the system in the morning. I'd also venture to say that the Sonos Homeseer implementation works better than CCA for how I like to use the system, and is likely the only version I'll be expanding features for in the near future.

Last edited by xs10shl; 11-21-2018 at 03:57 AM.
post #83 of 628 Old 11-21-2018, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
BTW I'm using the windows version of the software, but from what I can tell all the plugins I use are Win/Linux compliant. I'm using HS3Pro, but I'm not using any Pro plugins that an end user would need - I just wanted access to HS3Touch Designer, which is included in the Pro package. Everything is free to try for 30 days. As mentioned, The base HS3 software is on sale for 50% off for November. Here's the cost breakdown for the software I've used so far:

HS3Std (Currently $125. will be $250 after the sale)

Dirk Corsus Sonos Software Plugin (Free)
Spud Easy Trigger ($30)
Spud Chromecast ($40)

The priciest pieces are the Sonos boxes. I bought 2 used Sonos Connect from a friend for $150 apiece. CCA are $35 each. Sonos vs CCA is not an exact "Apples to Apples" comparison, in terms of user experience, IMHO. I prefer the user experience of Sonos to Chromecast, I feel Sonos behaves more predictably, and I like that I don't have to keep selecting a device to cast every time I power up the system in the morning. I'd also venture to say that the Sonos Homeseer implementation works better than CCA for how I like to use the system, and is likely the only version I'll be expanding features for in the near future.
Maybe you have not seen it yet. But I am working on a device that seamlessly integrates the GC or Essentia currently with Sonos and the new Nuvo Players. I have also touched on the code for the CCA, but put that on hold until I get the rest ready. I am close to looking for beta testers. Just a few more tweaks.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #84 of 628 Old 11-21-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post
Maybe you have not seen it yet. But I am working on a device that seamlessly integrates the GC or Essentia currently with Sonos and the new Nuvo Players. I have also touched on the code for the CCA, but put that on hold until I get the rest ready. I am close to looking for beta testers. Just a few more tweaks.

Joe

Great news that you are close! I'm looking forward to seeing the results, especially the App. I think it will be a huge relief to many who don't have the time or ability to fiddle with Homeseer. If you implement keypad menuing MPS4-style, I'll even gladly consider punting my cobbled system for something more feature rich.
post #85 of 628 Old 11-21-2018, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great news that you are close! I'm looking forward to seeing the results, especially the App. I think it will be a huge relief to many who don't have the time or ability to fiddle with Homeseer. If you implement keypad menuing MPS4-style, I'll even gladly consider punting my cobbled system for something more feature rich.
Currently we have not found a way to do the menueing system ala MPS4. Nuvo did not really finish their API when it came to menueing. So I won't work.

The only way to make it work is using the Nuvonet protocol But I have been unable to get LeGrand to let me license it. Still working on that though.

I currently have Alexa able to control the basic functions of the keypads. My intent, is to have Alexa replace the actual "touching" capabilities of the keypads. So, as it stands today, if you have Sonos, Alexa can do everything that you want. Control the basic keypad functions through the MG1 and control Sonos for the more advanced music management functions. The combination works well.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #86 of 628 Old 11-25-2018, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds great Joe!

Any progress with the Chromecasts? Would really be useful in my opinion and something I would love to test.
:-)

Bob
post #87 of 628 Old 11-25-2018, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds great Joe!

Any progress with the Chromecasts? Would really be useful in my opinion and something I would love to test.
:-)

Bob
Sorry Bob,

I had to put that on a back burner to get the rest done.

It is on the list though!!!

Joe
Bobone likes this.

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #88 of 628 Old 11-25-2018, 06:56 PM

Nuvo/Chormecast demo videos

I was all set to respond to a request for a demo of the Sonos and Chromecast system, when I saw the fantastic news on another thread that Joe is nearly ready with his Sonos/Nuvo solution. A few weeks ago we had no options, and now there are several! Joe's announcement almost certainly means that we will be able to enjoy our NuVo systems for at least a little while longer than what was previously possible.

Here's the first of two demo videos I made showing how the NuVo system interacts with Sonos. Apologies for the poor video quality.

This shows the system I have currently set up, using 3 Sonos Connect sources, and 2 Chromecast Audio sources.

Full disclaimer- this is not an end-user solution like the one Joe is creating, but rather an integrated solution which relies on a minimal level of understanding of basic programming flow. It also does require a bit of prior knowledge on setting these types of systems up, and some manual work in doing so.

As I've mentioned previously, much of the Chromecast Audio function was the work of Bobone.

Last edited by xs10shl; 11-25-2018 at 07:12 PM.
post #89 of 628 Old 11-25-2018, 07:00 PM

Nuvo/Chormecast demo videos

Part 2 of the demo, showing an overview integration between NuVo and Homeseer. This also shows the HSTouch app, which is likely to impress no one - but at least it demonstrates feasibility of a full-featured custom NuVo/Sonos/Chromecast app.

Bobone likes this.
post #90 of 628 Old 11-27-2018, 01:48 AM

Homeseer and HS3Touch

I decided I could do a little better on the HS3Touch default app, so I went to work on a better way to present a default UI. This required a re-thinking about how NuVo and Homeseer integrated. Until now, I had resisted the temptation to use the stored NuVo settings on the GC as a config file for Homeseer. But in the end, I decided that was the only thing which made sense.

I spent some time today retooling the entire system to do a few things differently internally. Firstly, I wrote a routine which downloads the Nuvo configuration from the Nuvo GC into Homeseer on startup, as well as a routine which auto-generates all the Homeseer devices, so I could eliminate the step of having to fiddle with 16 different zones if I wanted to change how things worked. I'll skip the gory details, and go to the result - the effort allowed me to present a much more friendly UI for HS3Touch, and add a little more functionality.

It was all probably more trouble than it was worth, but it did allow me to automatically do a few things which had up to this point been bugging me. For one, the Homeseer zone devices are now created and synced only with sources that are enabled in the NuVo GC for the given zone (I had to dust off the cobwebs in the back of my brain to do the proper string manipulation to get that part working!) In addition, I could now display things like zones and sources by their names, as opposed to just their values. Lastly, I added better graphics to represent sources, states, and actions.

I've also added a little functionality to HSTouch, in the form of control pad buttons. So now I can pretty much do everything on HSTouch that I can do at a native control pad. I've attached a few screenshots below.

I'll be the first to say that the default HSTouch is not a great UI, and this presentation isn't by any means great- but it's a start, and more consistent with the rest of the Homeseer devices. This step today proves to me that I will be able to do everything via a custom app in a way which makes sense to use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 12.13.01 AM.png
Size:	712.3 KB
ID:	2487926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0638.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	2487928   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0637.jpg
Views:	41