Nuvo G Concerto, Essentia, MPS4, ... Integration, modernization and preservation - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 224Likes

post #91 of 1033 Old 11-27-2018, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Great progress!

I think that something similar to below could be within reach. Most test areas/buttons work already.
Todo:
- Selecting zones and updating everything should be doable. May need to introduce virtual devices. Not sure...
- Populating real playlists is a real challenge though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0108.PNG
Views:	99
Size:	683.9 KB
ID:	2487946  

Last edited by Bobone; 11-27-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1033 Old 11-27-2018, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Nice work Bob!

Playlists - ugh! I agree that will be tricky - especially in a multi-user environment. The Sonos plug-in does have a song database that can do it, but I've punted on that for now. Chromecast is an even bigger challenge in that regard.

A simple solution is to include a "jump" button in HSTouch, which calls up the correct App on the iPad (whatever you use to cast), and include a corresponding "return" button to HSTouch. I've seen videos of others doing this, and I'd think that the approach would be as "feature rich" as you will get, at the expense of not being fully integrated.

below is a link to a sample video of how it works.

Bobone likes this.

Last edited by xs10shl; 11-27-2018 at 09:31 AM.
post #93 of 1033 Old 11-27-2018, 11:57 PM

Bobone, I've thought a little about your Playlist selection considerations today. Creating them using Homeseer will be difficult, but its a bit easier using the Sonos plugin vs Chromecast to implement selecting, because Sonos has some featuresets that are not yet available on Spud's CC plugin. Sonos keeps a local MusicDB which stores a number of things related to a particular users music habits. For example, it will store any stream that you play in a database called SonosRadioStations.db. This functions roughly as a Favorites list, which can be accessed using a "NextRadioStation" and "PrevRadioStaion" method. In addition, there is conveniently a "Next Playlist" and "Prev Playlist" method, which moves between the sonos playlists defined on the My Sonos page within the app. These can all be called via a pre-defined HS event.

For kicks, I write code to catch the HPREV and HNEXT keypresses on the NuVo keypads, and used them to create an easy way to move forward an backward through the Radio Station DB (while listening to a radio stream) and through the saved playlists (while listening to a playlist), depending on which source that was currently playing (the Sonos plugin has a way of letting me know the source type). It is not perfect by any means, but it is a simple way of foregoing having to write a separate routine to deal with a Stream/playlist selection without having to write a separate routine for it.

For Chromecast, I can imagine a stored array of URLs in global memory which can be accessed via the HPREV and HNEXT button presses on the NuVo Control. It would be slightly more involved work, but not impossible. If you had a list of 10 favorites that could be loaded on startup, that might take care of most of the average use cases. This is totally not a perfect solution, but perhaps it will give you a few ideas about how at least to access a "favorites" list from the keypad.

Thoughts?
Bobone likes this.

Last edited by xs10shl; 11-28-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 1033 Old 11-30-2018, 10:48 AM

For those interested, here is the latest code I have for my Sonos/CCA/NuVo Homeseer system. I've included an instruction set (which is probably confusing and incomplete) to get the system running on a Homeseer platform. This is definitely a DYI project for those with a little bit of coding knowledge, so if you are skittish about this type of DYI project, Joe has a beta program going on right now for a self-contained Nuvo/Sonos system, which I'd encourage you to participate in.

Please implement this at your own risk, and make sure you back up your Homeseer database prior to using. I've only tested it on my system, so I can't guarantee it will work on other systems without problem. This version makes use of a $29 plugin called EasyTrigger, which in reality you don't need, but you'll have to add a bunch of Events instead, which will mean more maintenance.

To get started, read the instructions provided in the Documentation directory.

New Features:
* Auto creation of NuVo Zone Devices based on GC config
* Prev/Next Playlist and Prev/Next Radiostation implemented on keypad for Sonos only. Access by pressing and holding the PREV and NEXT buttons on your keypads
* Control buttons added to each NuVo Zone Device, allowing for control of NuVo Zones through either HS3Touch or Homeseer Mobile

Known issues:
* All off and party mode not working
* Misc metadata display bugs

To-Dos:
* Implement control pad menuing for selection of playlists
* Implement RegisterStatusChangeCB to reduce dependency on manually created events
* Change event flow to eliminate extra event triggers, causing an additional loop to be made
* UI in HS3Touch or Mobile?

I've tried the system out with the upcoming Homeseer Mobile for iOS beta, and it works, but the Mobile software is a work in progress. My hope is that it will eventually become full featured enough like the Android version, so I don't have to work on creating a UI.

Credit to Bobone for his initial CCA implementation, from which much of this code is derived.

Comments welcome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0639.PNG
Views:	141
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	2489416  
Attached Files
File Type: zip CCA_Sonos_Multi2.0.zip (177.9 KB, 30 views)
Bobone likes this.

Last edited by xs10shl; 11-30-2018 at 11:31 AM.
post #95 of 1033 Old 11-30-2018, 11:06 AM

Also to note - today is the last day you can purchase Homeseer at 50% off. I've been told they also have a sale in May, but I cant say for certain.

A note on Homeseer- in the 2 months I've used it, I've found it to be fairly decent and easy to work with, and has a bunch of inexpensive 3rd party add-ons. For non-mission-critical HA, it's a fairly good solution. It's big drawback that I can see is that it doesn't appear to be very scaleable - it practically choked when I added an additional barrage of elements from my home lighting system. However, for something like Sonos and NuVo, it's perfect(ly cheap).
post #96 of 1033 Old 12-03-2018, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Nice!
post #97 of 1033 Old 12-03-2018, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Attaching a screen and taking a first deep dive!

Wow!
Now that we have cracked the integration of the old Nuvo systems with more modern and maintained systems like Sonos, ChromeCast and the Nuvo Player line I feel a lot more comfortable for the future.

Time to look at the MPS4....

My objectives are:
1) be able to back-up and potentially swap out the HD to prolong the usage a few more years. The MPS4 still has some advantages...
2) more easily access and maintain some music files rather than through the faltering NuvoSync sw.
3) potentially fix a few bugs (Spotify, ...)
4) possibly install HomeSeer, Plex, etc... on the machine
5) possibly port to Win7 or later.

I have a few issues:
1) I can't install a screen
2) I can't access very much over the network. My only access is:
- a few "shared" playlists discovered on my home network.
- the musicport/config pages
- Telnet: http://www.autonomiccontrols.com/doc...l_protocol.pdf

Step 1:
On the back of my box, I have no video ports. However, I have a clumsy cover...
Sure enough! A few screws later, I have uncovered a VGA and a DVI port!
After installing a screen (DVI), keyboard and mouse (USB) and restarting, I am up and running. Amazing!

Step 2:
Investigation of the system is now possible, but not in my little AV closet...
Nuvo have installed UltraVNC for remote service. "Secret" password (as found in the registry): Suite310
VNC works fine, but is slow.

Discoveries today:
- two partitions: C and D. The D disk is 290Gb and contains all the media, the C disk is only around 10 Gb (yikes!).
- the files can be found in hashed folders under: D:\ManifestSyncRoot
- the device manager is absent... "devmgmt.msc". Do you think I dare to install one? Scary at this point. Wonder why it is missing....
- the MPS4 is built on the windows media player (no surprise). Outputs A,B,C,D are mapped from a 7.1 system.
- some interesting Nuvobridge logs. Maybe a possibility to access the NuvoNet from the MPS4.

Stay tuned and please help with whatever knowledge you may have!

Thanks,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0950.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2490722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0953.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2490724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0960.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2490728  

Last edited by Bobone; 11-12-2019 at 02:50 PM.
post #98 of 1033 Old 12-03-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobone View Post
Wow!
Now that we have cracked the integration of the old Nuvo systems with more modern and maintained systems like Sonos, ChromeCast and the Nuvo Player line I feel a lot more comfortable for the future.

Time to look at the MPS4....

My objectives are:
1) be able to back-up and potentially swap out the HD to prolong the usage a few more years. The MPS4 still has some advantages...
2) more easily access and maintain some music files rather than through the faltering NuvoSync sw.
3) potentially fix a few bugs (Spotify, ...)
4) possibly install HomeSeer, Plex, etc... on the machine
5) possibly port to Win7 or later.

I have a few issues:
1) I can't install a screen
2) I can't reach very much over the network. My only access is:
- few "shared" playlists discovered on my home network.
- the musicport/config pages
- Telnet: http://www.autonomiccontrols.com/doc...l_protocol.pdf

Step 1:
On the back of my box, I have no video ports. However, I have a clumsy cover... Sure enough! A few screws later, I have uncovered a VGA and a DVI port!
After installing a screen (DVI), keyboard and mouse (USB) and restarting, I am up and running. Amazing!

Step 2:
Discovery of the system now works, but not in my little AV closet...
I thus set-up a new user account for remote desktop to work from my desk.

I can't get the system to work as well as from the Administrator account, but for now its OK.
Noticed that Nuvo have installed VNC.
Anyone know if that is better to use? A nice tutorial somewhere?

Discoveries today:
- two partitions: C and D. The D disk is 290Gb and contains all the media, the C disk is only around 10 Gb (yikes!).
- the files can be found in hashed folders under: D:\ManifestSyncRoot
- the device manager is absent... "devmgmt.msc". Do you think I dare to install one? Scary at this point. Wonder why it is missing....
- the MPS4 is built on the windows media server (no surprise). Outputs A,B,C,D are mapped from a 7.1 system.
- some interesting Nuvobridge logs. Maybe a possibility to access the NuvoNet from the MPS4.
- Unexpected Nuvonet setting (115,2kBd)?

Stay tuned and please help with whatever knowledge you may have!

Thanks,
Bob
Holy Crap!!

I can't believe that under that little cover are video ports!!

I don't use my MPS4 any more because of the MG1. So I can take it to my work desk and play all night with it!!!

Bob, before you do anything drastic with it, you should make a restorable backup.

Joe
Bobone likes this.

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #99 of 1033 Old 12-03-2018, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post
Holy Crap!!

I can't believe that under that little cover are video ports!!

I don't use my MPS4 any more because of the MG1. So I can take it to my work desk and play all night with it!!!

Bob, before you do anything drastic with it, you should make a restorable backup.

Joe
Sounds great Joe!

I have always found it confusing to do restorable back-ups.
Especially the restoration part.... Recommendations anyone?

Last edited by Bobone; 12-03-2018 at 09:08 AM.
post #100 of 1033 Old 12-03-2018, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Instead of vnc I use Chrome remote desktop. But, you would have to install Chrome to make that work.

I never really liked vnc.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #101 of 1033 Old 12-03-2018, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds great Joe!

I have always found it confusing to do restorable back-ups.
PLEASE, how can I do this in the easiest possible way?
I too will be doing the same process.

My plan is to take the drive out of the MPS4 and hook it up on my desktop computer. I will then also hook up another drive of equal or greater capacity. I am not sure what software I will use yet but I will do a drive-to-drive copy.

I can then install the new drive into the MPS4 to make sure it works before doing any tinkering.

When I have had success I will provide more detail on the process that I used.

Many of the hard drive manufactures offer drive-to-drive copy software for free.

Joe
Bobone likes this.

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #102 of 1033 Old 12-03-2018, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Usb firmware update

Hi, got this friendly mail from Nuvo's excellent tech support some time ago:

“USB FIRMWARE UPDATE

Standard and V2:
http://www.nuvoaudio.com/downloads/s...alonesetup.exe

Elite and EliteV2:

When to use it:

This utility should be used after a failed firmware update, or to do a firmware update on an MPS4 that does not have an Internet connection.
1. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the MPS4.
2. Download and place the standalonesetup.exe in the root directory of a USB thumb drive.
3. Insert the USB thumb drive into the rear panel of the MPS4.
4. Wait 5 minutes while the MPS4 runs the application and reboots.
5. Reconnect the Ethernet cable.
6. Check the firmware version of the MPS4 from the NuVo keypads or from the page footer at http://music-port/config.
7. Done.

Comment:
- The downloads can also be used to do a new installation
- Password: summit3”

Last edited by Bobone; 11-22-2019 at 10:10 PM.
post #103 of 1033 Old 12-03-2018, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi got this mail from support some time ago:

USB FIRMWARE UPDATE

Standard and V2:

Elite and EliteV2:

When to use it:

This utility should be used after a failed firmware update, or to do a firmware update on an MPS4 that does not have an Internet connection.
1. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the MPS4.
2. Download and place the standalonesetup.exe in the root directory of a USB thumb drive.
3. Insert the USB thumb drive into the rear panel of the MPS4.
4. Wait 5 minutes while the MPS4 runs the application and reboots.
5. Reconnect the Ethernet cable.
6. Check the firmware version of the MPS4 from the NuVo keypads or from the page footer at http://music-port/config.
7. Done.
The links are not working. Can you expand them, or do you have the files themselves?

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #104 of 1033 Old 12-06-2018, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Going carefully with the MPS4. Still no back-up...

A little gimmicky thing to do is to change the displayed AlbumArt.
For NonNuvoNet sources, the file unkown.jpg is used. It can be found under:
C:\Program Files\Autonomic Controls\Media Control Server\WWWRoot\images

If I change it, an image appears on my MusicPort applications (iOS, http Flash, etc...).
Would probably appear on the Nuvo GC Color panels as well, but I don't have one.

My problem is that I don't really know how to trigger a refresh?
Otherwise it would fit nice into my CCA solution.
post #105 of 1033 Old 12-06-2018, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The operating system is extremely crippled.

You cannot run device manager, you cannot restore XP in order to get all of the files.

Like you, I am digging to see what I can find. Not too much luck though.

I might have an old XP CD laying around that I might play with.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #106 of 1033 Old 12-09-2018, 03:12 PM

Nuvo Sonos now with Menuing capabilities

I've implemented a simple Menu system which allows me to select and play playlists, streams, and other items that I've configured on the "My Sonos" page within the Sonos app. This is part of the upcoming software release I'm hoping to do in the next few weeks. I've spent WAAAY too much time getting this working, but it's finally at a point where I can demonstrate how it functions. This new menuing system takes advantage of the MusicDB that the Sonos plugin for Homeseer already builds and downloads. Put simply, I suck out the data from the Sonos Plugin database and place it in my own database, which allows me to massage the data so that the menu presentation is organized in a way that makes some sense.

I'll start by admitting that the big negative of this system is that is does not use the default menuing capabilities of the NuVo keypads, and instead relies on the NuVo zone messaging platform. There's really not a lot of choice here - the NuVoNet system has yet to be dissected, so we only have two remaining options - update the Source display screen with menu items, or use zone messaging. Each option his it's benefits and drawbacks. Messaging basically restricts the presentation to a single line of data, which is very limiting. That being said, I believe I did manage to come up with a way to easily navigate the stored playlists in a way which I think is intuitive, using these rules:

* Menus can be up to 3 levels deep
* By default, each sub-menu can contain up to 50 lists or menu folders (but can really be as big as you want)
* Menu folders are displayed with brackets: [ menuFolder ] as a visual cue
* Selecting a [ menuFolder ] drills down into the defined sub-folder
* Playable items are displayed without brackets
* Navigation hints: << and >> appear when there are previous and/or next items to view
* All sub-menus will automatically contain a [ BACK ] item which returns to the previous menu

In addition, I designed it so that:
* Menus can be configured and displayed for individual sources
* Menus can be easily custom tailored with display data, sort order, and reconfiguration of display data so you can place your most used items at the top of lists, in a fashion which may be more easily readable from the default import.
* Custom changes to menus are independent of any updating from My Sonos, which keeps your edits from being clobbered the next time you sync the NuVo menuing system with Sonos

Known issues:
* This system only works with Sonos systems at the moment. I haven't yet explored with the Chromecast casting API.
* Bugs – The Sonos plugin as configured on my machine has intermittent fails when I attempt to play a RadioStation stream. This is true whether or not I use the built-in Homeseer methods, or my own tricks, so I assume that there's some sort of bug in the Sonos plugin which needs fixing.
* Visibility – the menuing system is confined to a small screen footprint, and is hard to read. I'm resisting attempts to use the main screen, but I might give it a try just to see how it looks.
* Keypresses – I currently know of no way to capture the “Menu” and “ok” button presses on the NuVo keypads, so I'm limited to using the keypresses that I can capture.

Video Demonstration attached. This represents more-or-less the default import - I created this using a new control button on my Homeseer NuVo Control, which re-syncs the menu system with Sonos when I press it. I've stopped making custom edits to the database, because I've had to blow it away too many times while debugging to bother re-customizing it - for example, a good practice is to make the display names short enough where they don't scroll across the screen

Bobone likes this.

Last edited by xs10shl; 12-09-2018 at 03:45 PM.
post #107 of 1033 Old 12-10-2018, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Very, very cool!
I really like the looks of it. Very clean!

From zero, we have now gone to three different menu schemes.
I wonder which one passes the “wife test” best?
The multiline menu offers some overview, but your displayline menu is certainly cleaner.

If you really wanted to, it is possible to capture the “Ok” button from the NuvoNet.
Perhaps not worth the hassle.
post #108 of 1033 Old 12-11-2018, 01:12 AM

Controlling NuVo from within the Sonos App - Mission Accomplished

I've wondered whether it would be possible to reconfigure the Sonos app to add a menu with NuVo-specific features. As it turns out, it's not that hard to implement a basic set of controls which are accessible from the "My Sonos" page, using nothing but music - Inaudible, one-second bursts of music, to be exact.

Using Audacity and a MetaData editor, I created a few test mp3s to perform specific functions based on their track titles. I placed them in a shared Sonos Library folder, and then I wrote a script to intercept them in Homeseer, and diligently carry out their instructions. A sample Screenshot is shown below of the first few commands. Works like a charm. I now have NuVo power, volume, source and track controls all within the Sonos app. Lovely!

This little hack opens up a whole world of possibilities. One can imagine a playlist of sequenced commands, which when played will perform every task in order - from turning a zone on, to selecting a new source, turning on the TV, opening the garage door - basically control anything which is defined in Homeseer, in whatever order I arrange in a new playlist - or better said - "Command List".

One note - If you're only out to execute a single command, be sure your scripts stop the player and clear the playlist after detecting a command, or else Sonos will just keep playing the next commands in order they appear in your playlist.

Good Stuff!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0640.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	2494990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0641.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	2494992  
Bobone likes this.
post #109 of 1033 Old 12-11-2018, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs10shl View Post
I've wondered whether it would be possible to reconfigure the Sonos app to add a menu with NuVo-specific features. As it turns out, it's not that hard to implement a basic set of controls which are accessible from the "My Sonos" page, using nothing but music - Inaudible, one-second bursts of music, to be exact.

Using Audacity and a MetaData editor, I created a few test mp3s to perform specific functions based on their track titles. I placed them in a shared Sonos Library folder, and then I wrote a script to intercept them in Homeseer, and diligently carry out their instructions. A sample Screenshot is shown below of the first few commands. Works like a charm. I now have NuVo power, volume, source and track controls all within the Sonos app. Lovely!

This little hack opens up a whole world of possibilities. One can imagine a playlist of sequenced commands, which when played will perform every task in order - from turning a zone on, to selecting a new source, turning on the TV, opening the garage door - basically control anything which is defined in Homeseer, in whatever order I arrange in a new playlist - or better said - "Command List".

One note - If you're only out to execute a single command, be sure your scripts stop the player and clear the playlist after detecting a command, or else Sonos will just keep playing the next commands in order they appear in your playlist.

Good Stuff!
What an ingenious idea. My hats off to you!!

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #110 of 1033 Old 12-12-2018, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post
A few updates:

1. I was able to install windows 7 on anew hard drive and install the server software. Once I told the software to run in compatibility mode of XP Sp3 everything worked. It even found a serial number on the MPS4 hardware itself and became licensed.

Two steps forward and one back is more than we have been able to accomplish for quite some time!!!
Wait, this is tremendously important if I understand correctly:

1) on a blank disc /partition.
2) you installed Win7
3) then installed the MPS4 sw (with no connection to previous WinXP) and
4) it found the serial number and became licensed?

WOW!
Correct?
post #111 of 1033 Old 12-12-2018, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wait, this is tremendously important if I understand correctly:

1) on a blank disc /partition.
2) you installed Win7
3) then installed the MPS4 sw (with no connection to previous WinXP) and
4) it found the serial number and became licensed?

WOW!
Correct?
Yes. Correct. Surprised me too!!
Bobone likes this.

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #112 of 1033 Old 12-12-2018, 09:09 AM

Wow excellent! It the license code is actually stored in an EPROM somewhere of the board, then I should be able to follow suit, and resurrect my dead MPS4. What about the hardware drivers?
post #113 of 1033 Old 12-12-2018, 10:03 AM

Sonos Macrobuilder for NuVo

Here's a funny side note to all the significant work being done by bobone and jmorris644. I coded up version 1 of my Sonos MacroBuilder for NuVo yesterday. Again, spent too much time on it, for what it is, But it (mostly) works. Is it useful? Sort of ... it's pretty sensitive in it's current state, and only works the way I think it should 80% of the time. The big issue of course is using Sonos for something it absolutely was not built for, so the macros tend to have some pretty weird side effects, mostly as a result of operator error and fat fingers. It does allow me to do some useful things like create a Playlist for my wife which automatically turns on the kitchen zone, and start playing her favorites. And for kicks, I did include a Macro for opening the Garage Door, just to see it work!

There are 2 types of Macros - Single and Macro. "Single" stops the player after executing the pressed Macro, and is intended to use the Playlist as a "Menu of selectable items". "Macro" keeps going on to the next item in the playlist, and "plays" whatever instruction or song is next.

Attached are some screen shots of my test playlist called "My Actions", a playlist I created to control the Zone Power, and some of the elements in the MacroBuilder. MacroBuilder is simply a shared Sonos Music Library on Windows containing all the Macros needed to make the playlists do stuff other than play music.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0656.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	2495722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0652.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	2495724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0649.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	2495726   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0654.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	2495728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0651.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	2495730  

Name:	IMG_0655.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	2495732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0653.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	2495734   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0650.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	2495736  

Last edited by xs10shl; 12-12-2018 at 10:26 AM.
post #114 of 1033 Old 12-12-2018, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow excellent! It the license code is actually stored in an EPROM somewhere of the board, then I should be able to follow suit, and resurrect my dead MPS4. What about the hardware drivers?
It looks like the Nuvo board has two interface cables to the motherboard. One is a serial cable and the other is an audio cable.

So I do not believe that there are any special drivers. I did not install any and the device manager does not show any.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #115 of 1033 Old 12-12-2018, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Keypad menus....

The following commands have created two new top menu items:

*SCFG5NUVONET1
*SNUMBERS0,0,0,0,1,0

*S5NAME"CCA"

*S5MENU,2
*S5MENUITEM1,1,0,”TestItem1”
*S5MENUITEM2,1,0,”TestItem2”

I "dropped them in one piece", as above, in my Telnet session. (I prepare the sequence in Notepad which adds some CRLFs, I suppose...)

I get some strange feedback, but it works.

To be precise, it works with ONE of my two non-NuvoNet sources, NOT the other one.
I just cannot understand why.

I currently follow three "logs":
1) The Telnet session
2) The NuvoBridge log (in real time with mTail). This is by far the most interesting log.
3) the ordinary serial connection

Last edited by Bobone; 12-12-2018 at 01:11 PM.
post #116 of 1033 Old 12-12-2018, 12:11 PM

Wow great! Are you building the commands based on prior observations? The nuvonet protocol is much cleaner than the published stuff I’ve looked at. Are the keypad control key presses sending legible responses in plaintext?

I have a win7 drive already installed in my MPS4. I’m going to attempt to mess around with it. Great discovery, guys!
post #117 of 1033 Old 12-12-2018, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, mostly legible in plain text.
I am testing from a telnet terminal.

(Haven’t really sorted out how to do it in vb.net, but it looked rather easy to initiate a session when I searched.)

If performance becomes an issue (which I doubt strongly), I feel comfortable that the NuvoNet hex communication is parsable.

Last edited by Bobone; 12-12-2018 at 01:20 PM.
post #118 of 1033 Old 12-12-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow great! Are you building the commands based on prior observations? The nuvonet protocol is much cleaner than the published stuff I’ve looked at. Are the keypad control key presses sending legible responses in plaintext?

I have a win7 drive already installed in my MPS4. I’m going to attempt to mess around with it. Great discovery, guys!
make sure you go to this folder C:\Program Files\Autonomic Controls\Media Control Server\bin\FX2_0 and set all of the EXEs up in compatibility mode. At least that is what I did to eliminate all of the errors I was getting. I also gave them administrator privileges.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #119 of 1033 Old 12-12-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

*SCFG5NUVONET1
*SNUMBERS0,0,0,0,1,0

*S5NAME"CCA"

*S5MENU,2
*S5MENUITEM1,1,0,”TestItem1”
*S5MENUITEM2,1,0,”TestItem2”

I "dropped them in one piece", as above, in my Telnet session. (I prepare the sequence in Notepad which adds some CRLFs, I suppose...)

I get some strange feedback, but it works.

To be precise, it works with ONE of my two non-NuvoNet sources, NOT the other one.
I just cannot understand why.

I currently follow three "logs":
1) The Telnet session
2) The NuvoBridge log (in real time with mTail). This is by far the most interesting log.
3) the ordinary serial connection
Hmmm. I was afraid of what I am seeing now. When the source is set to Nuvonet1 the menuing works. When it is set to Nuvonet0, which allows serial control, it doesn't work.

Also, I disconnected the nuvonet cable from the MPS4. I was able to verify taht the menu commands do not work through the serial cable between the MPS4 and my Essentia. So, so far, the menu only works through the nuvonet connection itself. Bummer...

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music

Last edited by jmorris644; 12-12-2018 at 02:05 PM.
post #120 of 1033 Old 12-12-2018, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

*SCFG1NUVONET1
*SNUMBERS1,0,0,0,0,0

*S1NAME"Spotify"

*S1MENU,2
*S1MENUITEM1,1,0,”MyNewMenuItem1”
*S1MENUITEM2,1,0,”MyNewMenuItem2”

This is what the NuvoBridge log looks like:
Code:
2018-12-12 21:50:27,281 [3] DEBUG TextProtocolRecv [(null)] - [email protected]:60139<--*SCFG1NUVONET1
2018-12-12 21:50:27,281 [27] DEBUG TextProtocolRecv [(null)] - [email protected]:60139<--*SNUMBERS1,0,0,0,0,0
2018-12-12 21:50:27,281 [3] DEBUG TextProtocolRecv [(null)] - [email protected]:60139<--*S1NAME"Spotify"
2018-12-12 21:50:27,281 [27] DEBUG TextProtocolRecv [(null)] - [email protected]:60139<--*S1MENU,2
2018-12-12 21:50:27,281 [3] DEBUG TextProtocolRecv [(null)] - [email protected]:60139<--*S1MENUITEM1,1,0,”MyNewMenuItem1”
2018-12-12 21:50:27,281 [3] DEBUG TextProtocolRecv [(null)] - [email protected]:60139<--*S1MENUITEM2,1,0,”MyNewMenuItem2”
2018-12-12 21:50:27,312 [7] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NBw-->*SCFG1NUVONET1
2018-12-12 21:50:27,343 [8] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#SCFG1,ENABLE1,NAME"Spotify",GAIN6,NUVONET1,SHORTNAME"Spo"
2018-12-12 21:50:27,375 [7] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NBw-->*SNUMBERS1,0,0,0,0,0
2018-12-12 21:50:27,390 [17] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#OK
2018-12-12 21:50:27,453 [17] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#S1NAME"Unknown Source"
2018-12-12 21:50:27,453 [15] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#S1HWID0x8A
2018-12-12 21:50:27,453 [7] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NBw-->*S1NAME"Spotify"
2018-12-12 21:50:27,468 [17] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#OK
2018-12-12 21:50:27,500 [17] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#S1NAME"Spotify"
2018-12-12 21:50:27,515 [17] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#S1HWID0x8A
2018-12-12 21:50:27,531 [7] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NBw-->*S1MENU,2
2018-12-12 21:50:27,609 [7] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NBw-->*S1MENUITEM1,1,0,”MyNewMenuItem1”
2018-12-12 21:50:27,687 [7] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NBw-->*S1MENUITEM2,1,0,”MyNewMenuItem2”
2018-12-12 21:50:27,750 [7] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NBw-->*S1NAME?
2018-12-12 21:50:27,781 [25] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#S1NAME"Spotify"
2018-12-12 21:50:27,828 [7] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NBw-->*S1ACTIVE?
2018-12-12 21:50:27,843 [16] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#S1ACTIVE1
2018-12-12 21:50:27,906 [7] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NBw-->*S1DISPLABEL?
2018-12-12 21:50:27,921 [17] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#S1DISPLABEL1,""
2018-12-12 21:50:27,937 [17] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#S1DISPLABEL2,""
2018-12-12 21:50:27,937 [17] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#S1DISPLABEL3,""
2018-12-12 21:50:27,937 [17] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#S1DISPLABEL4,""
2018-12-12 21:50:27,984 [7] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NBw-->*S1DISPLINE?
2018-12-12 21:50:28,000 [17] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#S1DISPLINE1,"None"
2018-12-12 21:50:28,015 [17] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#S1DISPLINE2,""
2018-12-12 21:50:28,031 [17] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#S1DISPLINE3,""
2018-12-12 21:50:28,031 [17] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NB <--#S1DISPLINE4,""
2018-12-12 21:50:28,046 [7] DEBUG NuVoRecv [(null)] - NBw-->*S1DISPINFO?
I am starting to understand some of the commands/responses that are generated elsewhere.

When you do some of the first commands (maybe "*SNUMBERS1,0,0,0,0,0"?), you actually initiate a sequence that you get prompted to finish.
Responses, "#s", act as triggers for sending the right commands, hence: #S1NAME"Unknown Source"

Last edited by Bobone; 12-12-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
essentia , grand concerto , mps4 , nuvo , nuvonet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page